Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santa truth

• 27-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

How did you find out and how old were you when you learned that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

ADDED MOD WARNING:
    PARENTS! Why would you let your unsupervised ten year old post on After Hours!
    Now they know the truth!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He does too exist! :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

What chu' talkin' about Willis???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There there Ruu, don't listen to the bold boy, of course he exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

awaits the inevitable "oh my god he's not real?"
    followed by the grumpy "ugh, its not even halloween, why the christmas thread?"

Edit: far too slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Don't know, fairly young-- 6 or 7?

All I know is that I stopped believing in god long before Santa.

Somehow a big fat man with a sleigh full of presents driving flying reindeer made more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

*remembers the last thread*

Shh, nobody tell Tom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

When I caught my father changing out of his suit. 6 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Was told loads of times at school when about 7 or 8, refused to believe. Parents told me when I was 9, I cried.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Santa's a dirty pedophile :mad:

He knows what you're thinking... he knows when you're awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

Aidric wrote: »
    When I caught my father changing out of his suit. 6 I think.
    haha your parents done that?
    with me it was either stay in bed or no presents so they had no effort to dress up and stuff lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Little bit after I was told about God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My parents kept their receipts in a basket in their room. Deep within the basket were a couple of receipts from around the Christmas season.

Of course, I didn't tell them because I was a very self interested young lad. They probably knew what I was up to by how they revealed it in passing. I had been managing to scab presents of 'Santa' until I was 12. :pac:

Mother seemed amused when I said "Yes, I know".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I got the sex talk and the santa talk at the same time. Interesting day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

I stumbled across the presents when I was about 7, I think. My world came crashing down!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Was that a "Bad touch, Good touch talk?"

Your family has some fecked up version of Santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I figured out myself. The reason was a flaw in all the films. Like miracle on 34th street for example. All the parents didn't believe your man was santa claus but in the end it is proven he is. Should the first thought of the parents not have been somewhat along the lines of, 'why the fúck was i buying presents for all those years if that príck shoulda been delivering them?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

9!

My friend told me at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I figured out myself. The reason was a flaw in all the films. Like miracle on 34th street for example. All the parents didn't believe your man was santa claus but in the end it is proven he is. Should the first thought of the parents not have been somewhat along the lines of, 'why the fúck was i buying presents for all those years if that príck shoulda been delivering them?'

Heh, I thought the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

were you in a department store that day by any chance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

I think that I was 7 or so when I rumbled Santa. Instead of a sock at the end of my bed I was astute enough to hang a pillowcase only one year the clean ironed one I put out was replaced with one destined to be washed. Made me suspicious but I kept my counsel another year just in case it would reduce the flow of presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Me and my friend both left out a note asking him for his autograph - when we went back to school and compared them they were nothing alike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Quite late - 10. A girl at school. I was gutted first, then I felt really grown-up and "cool".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

1) you believe in Santa Claus.
    2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
    3) You are Santa Claus.
    4) You look like Santa Claus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I was about 9 or 10 and a girl in my class told us about how she had found her presents and that..so I went to my mam who said ye he aint real..only for her to say two minutes later he is real and denying she had ever said otherwise!

Anyway the worst Christmas eve ever, I spent the whole night thinking 'he cant be real'..than whispering to myself 'but if I say that I wont get presents'

..proper schizo I know didnt fall asleep until 5, but did get pressies in the end:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Ruu wrote: »
    He does too exist! :mad::mad::mad:

Of course he does. Although the OP obviously believes in some sort of "magical" sleigh that somehow flies itself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

i was about 7 or 8 i think, i asked my older brother what he was getting from santa, and he replied with "There's no such thing as santa ya feckin eejit"
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I was about 5 when my dad woke me up putting presents at the end of my bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

My sister still believed at 12/13..I remember my mam telling her that there was no such thing as santa, easter bunny and tooth fairy all in the one go..the girl was traumatised for weeks after.....the tears were enough..

I was about 10....just copped on that there was none...ended up helping with the shopping after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I was 10, writing my letter....and my brother told me :(

The funny thing was, I never believed in the Easter Bunny, never had Easter egg hunts or whatever, and when easter came round and my friends were talking about all the eggs they got off the bunny, I was just scoffing at them like "Lads...you seriously think a giant bunny will turn up and give you easter eggs? I mean what do bunnies have to do with easter anyway?!!"

And yet I had no problems with the big beardy guy delivering presents to every child in the world in one night.

I do have one memory of a Christmas morning, I was about 7 I think, and I got up early at about 5/6am and snuck down to sneak a peak at the tree and presents. I looked through the keyhole, and could have sworn I saw some big red mass, like a person walking round...:o......:confused:......:eek:HE IS REAL!!!! THAT LYING BASTARD!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

I have no idea what age I was when I stopped believing. I do remember being 7 or 8 and it being the last day of school before Christmas.

The teacher pointed out the window and said look it's Santa. Cue lots of small people running to the window and saying they can see him. Fact of the matter is there was nothing there.

Idiots I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Around 7 or 8 too, a santa with a bad mask in one of the stores raised the suspicions.....

When I was about 5/6, on Christmas day!
    I remember waking up to a Noddy set and being happy as Larry, then my 2 brothers decide to tell me Santy isn't real, I didn't believe a word of it so I went to mummy to seek some comfort on the situation, only for her to tell me it's true he's not real:eek:

I now hate Christmas and everything about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Me and my friend both left out a note asking him for his autograph - when we went back to school and compared them they were nothing alike

You're both members of the Garda Siochana now aren't ye :D

It was after I worked out that there was no God....a few days later it hit me. "Eh, hold on a minute??!!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Calibos wrote: »
    You're both members of the Garda Siochana now aren't ye :D

Its just something I remember we talked about becasue we thought it would have been 'cool' to have it, we brought them in to show them off and was like hold on a minute...
    The teacher didnt know where to look when we asked her about it. Suprisingly, the autograph disapearred fairly quickly when I got home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don't remember how old I was but I remember the moment well. I was walking down the street with a friend. She was giving out about some other girl we knew and said "...and she still believes in Santy." My poor little heart broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

FFS, none of you lot ever learn how to use spolier tags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

A little boy down the road told me when I was eight. I went running into my house teary asking my mam is it true. She said "of course he is" and I said "no! I know you're lying"...She then turned around and said "you moran, you shouldn't have told me because now the huge santa presents stops". Tough love!

Although in saying that, I still get great presents :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well if Santa isn't real, who have I had locked in the basement for the past 17 years?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2008/1220/1229523125413.html
    Saint Nicholas of Myra, the original Santa Claus, is buried just west of Jerpoint Abbey, one of the finest Cistercian ruins in Ireland, in Co Kilkenny. The unmarked grave is in the ruined church at Newtown-Jerpoint (two kilometres outside Thomastown) once the site of a thriving Norman town that was abandoned in the 17th century probably due to plague.
    was it plague or did Santa come back from the dead to kill those who distrubed his resting place :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I started doubting from about 5 or 6. Every year i would ask for a playstation and never got one, no matter how good i was.

The bold boys at school however.........:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Santy is a boll&x.

All this drinking my guinness and robbing my biscuits. If I ever get my hands on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I started doubting from about 5 or 6. Every year i would ask for a playstation and never got one, no matter how good i was.

The bold boys at school however.........:mad:.

Beat you up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

It's September! Stop talking about Christmas :mad: you are ruining it you big bully :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

BAH Humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

my santa claus thread was way better than this. FAIL..... whatever that means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Myself and my brother had it copped for a few years and never said anything and as there were younger kids in the house I don't think the auld pair were too pushed in telling us.
    Managed to milk a bike and an N64 out of the trusting fools. MMMMUUUHHHAHAHAHAHA.
    God I'm so empty.
    BA

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I was a brainy young lad, I knew when I was about 9 but played dumb untill I was 12 when my mam sat me down to tell me that he wasnt real. I laughed and told her ive known for ages.

come to think of it, she hasnt trusted me since.....hmmm:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement