Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiling advice

Options
  • 28-09-2009 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys...
    I'm about to retile my bathroom which is already tiled,and against my better judgement I have been "told" by the boss (wife!!) to tile over the existing tiles because "my friends have done it blah blah blah" so while looking for tiles today the guy in the tile shop gives me a tip...instead of buying tiling adhesive use a good silicone adhesive...I have to admit I never would have considered this but I did an experiment this evening and stuck two tiles together with TEC7 silicon/sealer...unmoveable
    So my question is has anybody tried this and how succesful is it likely to be....any help much appreciated..
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

jimrad wrote: »
    Hi guys...
    I'm about to retile my bathroom which is already tiled,and against my better judgement I have been "told" by the boss (wife!!) to tile over the existing tiles because "my friends have done it blah blah blah" so while looking for tiles today the guy in the tile shop gives me a tip...instead of buying tiling adhesive use a good silicone adhesive...I have to admit I never would have considered this but I did an experiment this evening and stuck two tiles together with TEC7 silicon/sealer...unmoveable
    So my question is has anybody tried this and how succesful is it likely to be....any help much appreciated..
    cheers

I got my bathroom retiled professionally, ten years ago, and tiled three walls over existing tiles. I was quite sceptical at the time, but no problems, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Honestly. Do not tile over tile! That is my best and honest opinion. Tell me why you want to and i will advise you how to get around it.

Additionally whom ever told you to use tec 7 or silicone is a fool for 2 reasons. 1. They have not a clue of the existing surface and no.2 they do not know the size of the tile you have/are picking,

Resons why people tile over tile.

Quicker

Cheaper

People encountered.: Tiles kick out to far and to close to taps./tiles fall off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BIMP

I'm a tiler. U can tile over tile if they are solid and the tile ur putting over it is not large. U need to bond wall also. But as stated before it is a cheap way of doing it. A good tiler would remove existing tiles in few hours and do right job. I always advise against it but would do if tiles were small and customer was stuck for cash to cover the labour of taking them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vtiling

Yes, you can do that if the tiles are hard to remove (otherwise you would demage plasterboards and it is not cheap to get them repleced - mainly in bigger bathrooms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If your bathroom is drylined you can take off the plasterboard with the tiles, resheet with plasterboard and tile onto the new plasterboard. You will be tiling onto a fresh surface so you should get a good finish.

Likewise if your floor is tiled they are usually laid on a sheet of plywood. Take it all up and replace the plywood and tile away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement