Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing estate turns into No man's land

Options
  • 28-09-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Entire housing estate turned NO :D This is great news for the NO side. :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0928/1224255367811.html

Fair play to the Irish Times for posting this!
    A CANVASS at 7pm on a Saturday? Everything about it spelt shambolic. Lisbon (again) with its articles, weightings, competences and subsidiarity versus that Saturday evening feeling, that first calming glass of wine, deliberate avoidance of news, settling in for the X Factor? Declan Ganley’s crew was going to get short shrift.

The Ráithín estate in Mullingar is home to what union leaders and politicians call “ordinary working people”, the men and women most vulnerable to job losses and benefit cuts, the ones presumed to be the most fearful and amenable to “it’s the economy, stupid”.

This is a fantastic new article in the IT. It shows how much of a deterrent the torrent of yes propaganda has been. People are gradually gaining the courage and wisdom to vote no. The scaremongering is not working. The young people of this country are not as stupid as some politicians would like to make out!!

Also see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055694308

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Most of the scaremongering and propaganda I've seen has been from the No side.

It doesnt take courage and wisdom to vote no, it takes knowledge and understanding of the treaty to weigh up whether or not it will be good for 1) Ireland and 2) Europe as a whole.

If after reading the relevant information you decide to vote no then fair enough but dont vote no because Declan Ganley or some taxi-driver in
    Mullingar that you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Quite unexpectedly, his head rears, his jaw clenches and for a moment, he seems to fight for control. There is certainly a tear in his eye.

“It’s there,” he says finally, through the clenched jaw. But he feels unable to talk about it.

“I love my country and we are doing it such a disservice. Talk about a lack of hope. This is a fight for the soul of Ireland.”

Nice to see that the great actor is back on form - wrapping himself in the flag again (not the one he hides behind his desk).

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unsurprisingly not a single person mentioned anything remotely related to the actual contents of the treaty as a reason for voting no.

"The Government is sinking us deeper and deeper into recession. They’ve squandered all the EU money that’s come into this country"

“If Fianna Fáil want me to vote Yes, I’ll vote No – and you can quote me on that.”

“I’ll be a No.” Why? “I don’t see why we’re voting again.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

marco_polo wrote: »
    “I’ll be a No.” Why? “I don’t see why we’re voting again.”

The last one is fairly valid, IMHO. I've posted elsewhere about it, so won't repeat myself, but even after voting Yes the last time I have a MAJOR problem with the people being ignored.

Although thinking about it (and I know it's late) the electorate got it seriously wrong for the last 2 general elections so maybe a chance to "correct" something isn't a bad thing.

Gonna sleep on it, because that last one just hit me and I've probably just convinced myself to vote yes with that comment.........hmmm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I see none of them are trusting Ryanair's Michael O'Leary on Lisbon who happens to be from &

currently resides in their own home town of Mullingar.:D To be honest who could blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'd bet anything that it will be a No there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Indeed this is very likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PP offering 7/4, you'd be mad not to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

It's down to class, as usual.
    The middle class did'nt bother to vote on the last occasion, but now feel disenfranchised, for some reason, yet to be explained.
    The working class & lowwaged did & are now being headwrecked by the yessirs.
    I believe, the propaganda from the yessirs was working but is wearing off & if, the old & new NO voters mobilise, as I believe they will, they will win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Toiletroll wrote: »
    Indeed this is very likely.

so the irish times reporting in one area...thats the honest to god truth and cannot be denied!

irish times reporting i another area...thats wrong, its not like that and they clearly have it wrong.

Can you not see the flaw in this as a point of discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sounds like they interviewed a bunch of uneducated retards to be honest.

And you can quote me on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Rb wrote: »
    Sounds like they interviewed a bunch of uneducated retards to be honest.

And you can quote me on that.

a typically educated response from a yes voter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

AMY BRUNELL (20)

Supermarket employee

“I didn’t vote last year but I will vote No on Friday. I don’t know much about the treaty but my mother voted No last year and she told me I should vote No.

On one hand I admire her honesty. On the other hand its perplexing to think that in 2009 people think this is an acceptable way to engaging in the democratic process and that it is something they should broadcast to the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I see none of them are trusting Ryanair's Michael O'Leary on Lisbon who happens to be from &

currently resides in their own home town of Mullingar.:D To be honest who could blame them.
    He's not from Mullingar, he lives in a big horse breeding stud out 'in the sticks'. O'Leary has about as much in common with the 'common man' in Mullingar as Barack Obama has with the people of Moneygall in Offaly. He's as likely to be a reason for people around here* to vote No as to support the Treaty.

*My original home place; he lives a few miles away and rarely fraternises with the locals.

Advertisement