Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-up in a happy Spurs family

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

So, I started following Spurs because my Other Half has been following them for awhile. I watched them religiously in Dublin, where we had met, but unfortunately, due to the long distance thing, and a few other reasons, the relationship ended. Now, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Rock: I love the Spurs. I do. I admit it; I love this team, and want to continue watching them as they grow and reach new heights in EPL soccer.

Hard place: But every time I watch them, I think of the matches we used to watch together, and us in general, and that is kinda killing me inside.

What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well first off, I'm sorry to hear of your break-up. It's never nice when anything good goes that way. Your situation is a tricky one, but I don't think it's something you'll have a huge amount of control over. I've followed Spurs for 25 years, and through the mid-to-late 90's I wanted to forget about the team, pretend that I never supported them, but I was never able to.

I believe that even if you wanted to let Spurs go, you you would have the same problem. It might not do any harm to have a 'cooling-off' period but at the end of the day you'll be back supporting them as you always have because that's the caveat of being a fan. Plus, what wonders will you miss during that cooling-off period? Most of us will probably support Spurs (or other football teams) for longer than any relationship we'll ever be in, so there's very little you could do to pull away from the team completely. Also, need I remind you of 15 points from 7 games, 5 goals and our first clean sheet of the season, 4th time scoring 5 goals this season, etc, etc. I don't know about you but I think things are as good as they've been in some time and if ever there was a time to jump ship, this is not it!!

So chin up, plenty more fish in the sea and all that, and most importantly, COYS!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It's at times like these I think of the song we sang in Prague two season ago, on Valentines night as we played in the Uefa Cup...

You can stick your red roses up your arse,
    You can stick your red roses up your arse,
    You can stick your red roses,
    Stick your red roses,
    Stick your red roses up your arse.

Singing we love Tottenham more than you,
    Singing we love Tottenham more than you
    Singing we love Tottenham,
    We love Tottenham,
    We love Tottenham more than you!

Sorry top hear about the break up.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Sorry to hear about your situation.

All I'd say is that with all breakups there are going to be things that remind you of happier times and these times being so much happier than current times causes a bit of despair.

That doesn't mean though that these things are bad for you and should be avoided. You could lump supporting spurs with the food you ate on your first date, a house you shared, a colour that reminds you of balloons you saw one day in the park etc etc.

What I mean is that there will be a lot of things that remind you of your ex - it's a normal human reaction and although it may not feel it now I promise you time is a healer and it will get better :) in the mean time though focus on what you love about spurs and enjoy it. Try and park aisde the memories it throws up but at the very least realise that it's not Spurs that are causing the distress, you could be having the same drink you've enjoyed for the last 20 years and have it remind you of a time you had a drink with your ex - doesn't mean it's a bad drink etc. Supporting Spurs is something you are obviously passionate about so take that as it is and run with it, you will still think of your ex with or without Spurs in front of you so don't turn your back on what is making you happy ( and it really is making you happy too especially with 5-0 wins :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Enjoy the Spurs, Spurs will probably outlast pretty much everything in your life. It is hard to get across to your partner that you have been passionate about Spurs since you were 5 (thats 30 years!) and you have afterall just met them, they have some catching up to do!!!

Advertisement