Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commerce/Commerce(Business with Chinese Studies) ... Anyone??

• 28-09-2009 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm currently a 6th year student trying to decide what to put down on my CAO. I'm VERY sure I want to do Commerce in UCD but I'm stuck between plain Commerce and Commerce (Business with Chinese Studies).

My top priority is a semester or a year abroad. At first I was definetely positive I want to do Commerce because it gives you that opportunity. But then I realise it's not guaranteed. Could anyone tell me is the number of Commerce students who apply and is given this opportunity high? It states in the prospectus and on the website that you require 60 credits to get the place. How are credits earned? Haven't a clue about that. All I know is each module is worth a certain amount of credits.

So since I want that semester/year abroad soooo bad I'm kind of changing my mind to Commerce (Business with Chinese Studies) now, since you HAVE to spend a year abroad. At the end of the day you get the same degree as Commerce, just with Chinese, right?? Oh, and by any chance anyone know which are UCD's partner colleges in China ??

So yeah, what do you guys think? What should I put down first on my CAO? And any further insights on the two courses would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

Hi, I'm currently in 2nd Comm and could answer a few things. 2nd years have just been offered their choice of University (ranked in order of preference CAO style) which the indicated last week. Each year around 50 students are chosen to study abroad for the summer semester (12 weeks in UCD, although this varies depending on where you're going. Some start earlier and are longer). There is no limit of students that can apply. Students must have achieved 60 credits (5 credits given to each subject passed, 6 subjects a semester) and must have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0. The advantage over staying in UCD is that your semester abroad doesn't count towards your degree, all you have to do is pass much like first year. Also students in Commerce don't have the opportunity to choose subjects until third year therefore they tend to do better than those who have spent 2nd year doing subjects they don't like and this being 30~% of their degree. Don't know much on the Comm + Chinese side, hopefully this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I have friends in Commerce&chinese and they loved it. They spent last year studying there and was the best experience of their life.

Not sure of the names of the colleges but their class was spilt between Shangai and Beijing.

If you really want to spend a year abroad and you think Chinese is a language that you would be interested in learning then I suggest you put CommChi down first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 catchthepigeon

Im in 1st year commerce nd chinese...nd so far its grand. In first year you do 3 business subjects nd 3 chinese subjects per semester. It basically is a commerce degree with chinese. As for the universities in china...i know Fudan university nd Renmin Business school are two anyway. When we go to china we're going to have a choice of six. Beijing university might be in there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cowen4life

catchthepigeon...just wondering how your finding your course at this stage? Im thinking about doin next year....is the chinese difficult?????

Advertisement