Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Sydney. What am I missing?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Ive been in Sydney the past 2 weeks now, first time ever in Oz

I thought it would be amazing, but im completely underwhelmed since Ive been here

Its just too nuts, and the people are odd, not mean, just slightly hostile

Also, there's fookall to actually DO

I planned my trip for Brisbane and have abt 3 sheets of stuff, I only got half a page for Sydney, and its not stuff I wanna do

Been stayin in Bondi and the city. Bondi beach is average!!

And its so cold the past few days, I cudda stayed in ireland for that! :P

So I dno what to do

Ive extended my trip to Brisbane by one week, might stay up there

But ive heard its the polar opposite, as in SFA to do

But as long as I have a nice beach and actual Sun, ill be happy

Also, its only an hour away from GC / Surfers Paradise, and I have mates there

Anyways, I'll be movin on again after Xmas, so should be grand wherever I stay

Ok so this is more of a rant than advice, but, yeah

So anything amazing in Sydney I need to try? Again, dont wanna walk around lookin at landscapes and buildings! Psssh :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Just come to Melbourne mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

unreggd wrote: »

I thought it would be amazing, but im completely underwhelmed since Ive been here

I planned my trip for Brisbane and have abt 3 sheets of stuff, I only got half a page for Sydney, and its not stuff I wanna do

So I dno what to do

So anything amazing in Sydney I need to try? Again, dont wanna walk around lookin at landscapes and buildings! Psssh :P

Thanks!

Sydney is the most pretentious city in the world, bar none.

Australia is the most over rated country in the world, bar none. Take out the weather and zero people would visit.

On a brighter note maybe get the ferry over to Manly for the day.
    Try hanging out with a few freaks in Kings Cross for the day - personally i think Venice does crazy much better in LA, but that is about as different/crazy as things will get in Australia.
    Sydney Opera House - era i presume you have being there already.
    The city of Sydney ain't great but there are some lovely walks around the suburb.
    Maybe go to the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

do the harbour bridge walk. have a wander around cockle bay wharf and go to the IMAX, if ur into that sorta thing. The botanic gardens are there too.
    Go to the zoo. you've to get a ferry over.
    Home and Away.
    go for dinner in that big spikey thing in the middle of the city.
    luna park is good for an afternoon, but only if u go on the big "scary" rides.
    try get out of bondi and visit coogee or bronte.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Yea not the place to be when the winter hits, you should really have landed in December start of the summer....

Its just a city not that much to do other then the above posters.

Doc wrote: »

Heading south in the winter emmmm u must like the cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

stay away from melbourne - its freezing, although not as bad as canberrra (and almost as bad as sydney) - head north this time of year and south in the summer...welcome to australia :) - it aint that much different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

What were you expecting man, its only a city. You have been listening to everybody else banging on about Australia for years and how brilliant it is and now you are there and nothing is happening it is crap. People loved Australia because of what they done there, the experiences they had, the adventures they had, the people they met, hooked up with for 2 weeks then never saw again. Some of my best memories of sydney were in my room in the hostel, it could have been a room anywhere in the world but we were all on an adventure in Australia, going through the same things, living the life, no worries except finding a few hours work to get enough cash to buy some food for the week and enough beer and grass to keep us going. You dont want to look at scenery or buildings, then go to the pub and sit there and stop whinging and waiting for the time of your life to come and find you. My other best experiences of Sydney were when we were out walking along the cliffs or going to different beaches or sitting on the rocks with a few beers at night watching a lightning storm out at sea.
    Relax and let it happen, dont be waiting with your check list of good things that have to happen for it to be a good time, most likely you probably wont appreciate it all until you are on the plane on the way back home and its all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Doc wrote: »

Please no wonder the guy is under whelmed, i dont like the big cities of oz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    stay away from melbourne - its freezing, although not as bad as canberrra (and almost as bad as sydney) - head north this time of year and south in the summer...welcome to australia :) - it aint that much different

It was lashing and pissin rain down here in Hobart on saturday and espically sunday and i loved it, Tasmania is 100 times better than the rest of Aus and thankfully there is not as much sheepish backpackers down here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Buy a guide book. Failing that:

Check out the other beaches. Go up the coast/down the coast. Check out the Blue Mountains. Go down to the snowy mountains - I heard they just had snowfall. Head out to Broken Hill - sure not much there but something different. Walk/horse ride through the Kuringai National Park. Hit the cafes around Surry Hills. Check out the museums/art galleries. Climb the Harbour Bridge. Take a Sky Walk. Enjoy some decent coffee. Do what others suggested above.

Strange that you visit a city at the end of winter if you don't want it to be cold. Also strange that you bother visiting a city which only has half a page of stuff which you "don't wanna do".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So I dno what to do

Thanks!

OK first of all why are you in Sydney in the first place?

If you are there on your own expecting things to happen then no wonder you are bored, you need to get out and do $hit and not wait for it to happen.

Go visit the Australian museum (its free!), the powerhouse museum (one of the best museums I have ever been) and there is also the aquarium by Darling Harbor.

There is loads to do there you just need to find out what you like and go do it! These are all indoor type stuff not Dependant on the weather. If you are into museums like I am there are dozens of them all around the place. Go visit the convict museum by Hyde Park. If you are eagle eyed you can spot the guys who got shipped off to OZ 200 years ago after being found guilty of bestiality!! I kid you not!

Failing all that advice get yourself a girl (or guy!) in kings X for half an hour, that will cheer you up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Take the bus tour, go to Star City, cinema....tbh there is so much to do and it is so cheap to do it I cant believe that Sydney bores you. Nothing I like more than having a weekday off and strolling around the city doing absoloutely bollix all, just walking around, iPod in the ear, sun shining, birds tanning in the park, stop for a pint somewhere, its heaven. While Ive never spent time in Brisbane if you get bored easily dont bother with outside the big cities. Nearly died of boredom during a month in Queensland, scenery and great weather even in winter are quite litreally all there is above Brisbane. Fcuk all this "dont get stuck in Sydney" crap, Id gladly stay forveer here.

Might be worth moving into a hostel that does organised nights out on the lash as well, good way to meet people. And maybe get out of Bondi- dont know why all the Irish gravitate there. It isnt an amazing beach, tbh the only good thing about Bondi is the Cock and Bull on Sunday (Tea Gardens is a fcuking atmosphereless dive, dont know why the Irish hang out in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Go see a Sydney FC/AFL/NRL game..bring a few mates to lawn bowls..get a portable BBQ and head down to Cronulla for the day..go down the fish markets and have a picnic..go to Watsons Bay and stroll around the heads followed by fish & chips on the wharf..go to any of the great restaurants in chinatown..check out the gig guide and go out somewhere other than Kings Cross/Irish bars...go to Rose Bay and rent a kayak for a few hours...go golfing out in Moore Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Museums?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Why not spend the whole time in an Irish bar, drinking with same 8 to 12 Irish ppl, talk about Ireland, date an Irish girl and do everything else that all the Irish ppl that go there seem to do? Shur what else would you want from a trip abroad?

<sarcasm by the way, in case it wasn't obvious> I thought Melbourne was really impressive, but was only there for 3 days in the hottest time of the year, and ended up being dragged to the Aus Open by a random local, so my opinion is prolly slanted.

What you are missing is the point that its not up to Australia to make you enjoy yourself.

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This is getting a little harsh lads. I think the OP is just suffering from something that a lot of travelling Irish suffer from. As a nation, when we visit somewhere, we go home and tell everyone who'll listen that the craic was 90, we had the best time of our lives and we paint this fabulous picture of the fun we had.

Subsequently, some people travel with the romantic notion that the party will greet them on the tarmac off the plane and it'll be non-stop fun from the time they arrive. People forget that you're essentially in a foreign country with no mates.

The sort of person who arrives in a country with no friends and proceeds to have the time of their bloody lives is usually outgoing to a fault, hyperactive with boundless personality, no shame and the ability to be interested in everything. Not everybody is like that.

I love Australia. I love living here. It's great. But it's like visiting anywhere in the western world - same shit, different continent.

What you are missing is the point that its not up to Australia to make you enjoy yourself.

Grow up.

Bit harsh on telling to OP grow up, he just needs to sit down and think why he is there in Sydney in the first place and his answer will come from that.

jank wrote: »
    Bit harsh on telling to OP grow up, he just needs to sit down and think why he is there in Sydney in the first place and his answer will come from that.

Sorry Jank, I didnt mean to be harsh. Thank you for calling me on it though. You are such a gent. :)\

He cant say he wasnt warned though: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388407&highlight=manage+expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Well apparently you yourself thought that the thread you linked was a crap idea full of things that don't need to be pointed out, because you think everyone should be fully aware of everything you know yourself at all times.

If only we were all as brilliant as you are, eh?

Sorry Jank, I didnt mean to be harsh. Thank you for calling me on it though. You are such a gent. :)

OK look, you might be a bit sore over that otherthread, I can put that behind me but constantly talking to me or others like an idiot is annoying and getting tiresome to us non-idiots here.

@ The Sweeper I remember reading that post! It puts everything in perspective. What you put into a place you get out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

What were you expecting man, its only a city. You have been listening to everybody else banging on about Australia for years and how brilliant it is and now you are there and nothing is happening it is crap. People loved Australia because of what they done there, the experiences they had, the adventures they had, the people they met, hooked up with for 2 weeks then never saw again. Some of my best memories of sydney were in my room in the hostel, it could have been a room anywhere in the world but we were all on an adventure in Australia, going through the same things, living the life, no worries except finding a few hours work to get enough cash to buy some food for the week and enough beer and grass to keep us going. You dont want to look at scenery or buildings, then go to the pub and sit there and stop whinging and waiting for the time of your life to come and find you. My other best experiences of Sydney were when we were out walking along the cliffs or going to different beaches or sitting on the rocks with a few beers at night watching a lightning storm out at sea.
    Relax and let it happen, dont be waiting with your check list of good things that have to happen for it to be a good time, most likely you probably wont appreciate it all until you are on the plane on the way back home and its all over.

Good Post BlackEdelweiss

Well apparently you yourself thought that the thread you linked was a crap idea full of things that don't need to be pointed out, because you think everyone should be fully aware of everything you know yourself at all times.

If only we were all as brilliant as you are, eh?
    OK look, you might be a bit sore over that otherthread, I can put that behind me but constantly talking to me or others like an idiot is annoying and getting tiresome to us non-idiots here.

@ The Sweeper I remember reading that post! It puts everything in perspective. What you put into a place you get out of.

Guys this isnt about you or me or differences we had in the past. Dragging that stuff up leads to tensions and tempers.

Lets turn a new leaf going forward. This thread is about the OP, its his way or the highway. Lets all come in for the big win ay? How bout it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hey mate here are some tips

Ive been in Sydney the past 2 weeks now, first time ever in Oz.... OK Are you on your own or with other people?

I thought it would be amazing, but im completely underwhelmed since Ive been here.... Well when I first Arrived I was well impressed.... but that was Xmas 2004 and everyone was in Holiday mode....Sydney is an awesome city when the sun is shining and there is plenty of people about.... but can be pretty average when raining and dull... same as anywhere

Its just too nuts, and the people are odd, not mean, just slightly hostile....Think of Crocodile Dundee when he went to New York.....Sydney is a big city.... No-one is that intrested in some Paddy fresh of the boat..... Your just another tourist..... Like a Japanese Tourist in Dublin wearing those stupid tarten Golf Pants

Also, there's fookall to actually DO..... Loads to do.....Mate

I planned my trip for Brisbane and have abt 3 sheets of stuff, I only got half a page for Sydney, and its not stuff I wanna do....Are you talking about Brisbane in QLD??

Been stayin in Bondi and the city. Bondi beach is average!!.....Correction ...Bondi is a dingey hole.... during the 19th Century Bondi was classed a Slum where poor made shanty towns and lived in makeshift tents.....F**kall has changed....Bondi is now overpriced substandard accomdation usually let out to Irish & Pom Backpackers who dont know any better......Who owns such property? well you see the men walking around dressed completely in black with funny black hats, beards and funny little dreadlocks...the usually say "Shalom" instead of "whats the Craic"...need I say more!!

And its so cold the past few days, I cudda stayed in ireland for that! :P.....We do have winter in Australia too... drive 3 Hrs south of Sydney and you can actually Ski....maybe you could add that to your to do list

So I dno what to do.......Try reading Lonely Planet 'Australia'

Ive extended my trip to Brisbane by one week, might stay up thereOk fair enough.........but dont be complaining about the humidity up there

But ive heard its the polar opposite, as in SFA to do.....Yeah some things to do in Brisbane but should only take a few days

Also, its only an hour away from GC / Surfers Paradise, and I have mates there....

So anything amazing in Sydney I need to try? Again, dont wanna walk around lookin at landscapes and buildings! Psssh :P.....Do a Jamie Neale and make $200,000

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sorry Jank, I didnt mean to be harsh. Thank you for calling me on it though. You are such a gent. :)\

He cant say he wasnt warned though: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388407&highlight=manage+expectations

Right - cut it out you two. If you want to stoop down to petty squabbling the take it to pm. You were at each other in the other thread and I asked you to behave. Don't take it to another thread. If I see you at it again you are both getting banned.

Also, goading someone and then reporting their response as personal abuse does not mean you are not guilty of anything. Just let it go or take it to pm. I've had enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Cheers for that! Im in Brisbane now, and its a compl diff vibe to Sydney, i likes it!
    Anyways....

Ive been in Sydney the past 2 weeks now, first time ever in Oz.... OK Are you on your own or with other people?
    Flew to Sydney on me own. Stayed with me bro + housemates, but they all work form 5am so not much time to hang out. Stayed in a hostel a few nights but was tiny and tried talkin to the roomates, but nothin came of it. First night here been chattin away

I thought it would be amazing, but im completely underwhelmed since Ive been here.... Well when I first Arrived I was well impressed.... but that was Xmas 2004 and everyone was in Holiday mode....Sydney is an awesome city when the sun is shining and there is plenty of people about.... but can be pretty average when raining and dull... same as anywhere
    Yeah, i wasnt excited abt Syd at all, like, when ur just leavin the airport. I did get that here in Briz tho

Its just too nuts, and the people are odd, not mean, just slightly hostile....Think of Crocodile Dundee when he went to New York.....Sydney is a big city.... No-one is that intrested in some Paddy fresh of the boat..... Your just another tourist..... Like a Japanese Tourist in Dublin wearing those stupid tarten Golf Pants
    True!

Also, there's fookall to actually DO..... Loads to do.....Mate
    Like what? I honestly cant find anything bar museums and stuff. went to Manly, thats abt it!

I planned my trip for Brisbane and have abt 3 sheets of stuff, I only got half a page for Sydney, and its not stuff I wanna do....Are you talking about Brisbane in QLD??
    Yup, QLD :P

Been stayin in Bondi and the city. Bondi beach is average!!.....Correction ...Bondi is a dingey hole.... during the 19th Century Bondi was classed a Slum where poor made shanty towns and lived in makeshift tents.....F**kall has changed....Bondi is now overpriced substandard accomdation usually let out to Irish & Pom Backpackers who dont know any better......Who owns such property? well you see the men walking around dressed completely in black with funny black hats, beards and funny little dreadlocks...the usually say "Shalom" instead of "whats the Craic"...need I say more!!
    Indeed. hack of Bondi!

And its so cold the past few days, I cudda stayed in ireland for that! .....We do have winter in Australia too... drive 3 Hrs south of Sydney and you can actually Ski....maybe you could add that to your to do list

So I dno what to do.......Try reading Lonely Planet 'Australia'
    Will do

Ok fair enough.........but dont be complaining about the humidity up there
    Of course im gna complain! :P

But ive heard its the polar opposite, as in SFA to do.....Yeah some things to do in Brisbane but should only take a few days

Also, its only an hour away from GC / Surfers Paradise, and I have mates there....

So anything amazing in Sydney I need to try? Again, dont wanna walk around lookin at landscapes and buildings! Psssh .....Do a Jamie Neale and make $200,000
    Wudnt mind a bitta tha!

So anyways, im happy in Briz for now

Hopefully Sydney round 2 goes a bit better, im sure Ill end up back down there

CheerZ

When you go back to Sydney organise a trip for yourself to the blue mountains. Dont do a day tour, do a proper multi day trek with other people while camping. A good way of meeting people.

http://www.infobluemountains.net.au/activity/walk.htm
    http://www.oztrek.com.au/
    http://www.sydneytoursrus.com/tours_bluemountains.html
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Blue_Mountains#Do

watna wrote: »

Also, goading someone and then reporting their response as personal abuse does not mean you are not guilty of anything. Just let it go or take it to pm. I've had enough of it.

HAHA guilty as charged!

Sorry Watna, wont happen again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

am i the only person in the whole wide world who perfered new zealand than oz

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    am i the only person in the whole wide world who perfered new zealand than oz

No, you are certainly not, I moved to Wellington after travelling both. However, it depends what you're into. If you like outdoor activities, or, like me, haven't done that much but would like it to be so convenient as to give everything a go, NZ is the place to be. But if you want sand, sea, sex and all the rest, I can see how Oz is attractive. Personally though, I wanted to change my life a bit more drastically, and felt I could do that more in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Top 10 things to do on the October long weekend

1 2009 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final

2 Sydney Architecture Festival

3 Manly Jazz Festival

4 Parklife

5 Festival of Dangerous Ideas

6 Oktoberfest

7 Darling Harbour Fiesta

8 Circus Skills 2009

9 Che: Parts 1 & 2

10 Bananas in Cabanas

Was never much impressed with Sydney. It's worst feature is the nightlife, very hostile - bouncers and the general punter. The attitude of bouncers would put you in a bad mood when you get into a place. Taxis are a nightmare, don't stop for guys, if they do stop they might drive off if they don't want to go where you're going, even for girls. Kings Cross and George St are insane - gangs and gangs of loud, obnoxious idiots, laughing at stuff that isn't funny. OK it's not all that bad, but to someone recently arrived it's not a welcoming place if you ask me, unless you've got loadz of dollaz.

Advertisement