Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Sydney. What am I missing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    am i the only person in the whole wide world who perfered new zealand than oz

No way....Sydney was a cool place to visit and check out...but i'll probably never bother going there again.

I remember getting on the subway at circular quay and thiking...feck there's more people on this train then i've seen in Wellington in a week! NZ is tiny and empty compared to Oz, but its nice that way :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    am i the only person in the whole wide world who perfered new zealand than oz

Shhhh dont tell them or the place will be over run by boozed up GAA cladded Paddies.

Nothing to see here.... move along...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

[

Was never much impressed with Sydney. It's worst feature is the nightlife, very hostile - bouncers and the general punter. The attitude of bouncers would put you in a bad mood when you get into a place. Taxis are a nightmare, don't stop for guys, if they do stop they might drive off if they don't want to go where you're going, even for girls. Kings Cross and George St are insane - gangs and gangs of loud, obnoxious idiots, laughing at stuff that isn't funny. OK it's not all that bad, but to someone recently arrived it's not a welcoming place if you ask me, unless you've got loadz of dollaz.

Eh? Compared to back home most door staff here are fairly grand. Ive only been refused maybe twice, and that was because i beyond locked. Despite the whole RSA laws they are more likely to let you in with a skinful in you than Dublin clubs. Been put out the odd time for being too pissed but tbh its pretty rare, and usually only around 4-5am when Im fooling myself by buying more drink. As for the music, Dublin is so backward. Most Sydney clubs play decent dance tunes- most Dublin clubs have the same cheese music policy as Side Bar, The Gaff and other places locals here wouldnt dare set foot in. (having said that the worst nightclub Ive ever been in was the Woolshed in Cairns. What a dive, wanker crowd and crap music). The crap weather and the overpriced sh1t nightclubs are the main reason I left home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

shane86 wrote: »
    Most Sydney clubs play decent dance tunes- most Dublin clubs have the same cheese music policy as Side Bar, The Gaff and other places locals here wouldnt dare set foot in.

Another Sydney trait, pretentious as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Now that I'm here, Australia is very overrated. It's like being in a 70's/80's timewarp. It's a nice country, the cities are more attractive than Dublin (wouldn't be hard, even Sofia is more attractive than Dublin) and there's a bit more to do, as well as being cleaner. On the downside, on average it's more expensive than Ireland. The bars are ridiculously old-fashioned. It's not particularly safer either, with weird looking guys in mullets and sunglasses going around obviously looking for a fight, the usual druggies/beggars/alcos too.

There's one overriding feature though. Australians are incredibly cheap. Our apartment bedroom is the size of my single room at home, but they've dumped two single mattresses on the floor and called it a double. The walls are paper thin, the place is utterly, utterly bare and we can't use the oven, grill or air conditioning because 'it costs too much money'. The building construction is sh!t, the lift is terrifying (this is a 5 year old building) and the list goes on. Oh, one last thing. They drive ancient cars that no self-respecting European would be seen dead in. And smog. What first world country still has smog in 2009? Italy I suppose.

Sorry for the semi-rant.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Now that I'm here, Australia is very overrated. It's like being in a 70's/80's timewarp. It's a nice country, the cities are more attractive than Dublin (wouldn't be hard, even Sofia is more attractive than Dublin) and there's a bit more to do, as well as being cleaner. On the downside, on average it's more expensive than Ireland. The bars are ridiculously old-fashioned. It's not particularly safer either, with weird looking guys in mullets and sunglasses going around obviously looking for a fight, the usual druggies/beggars/alcos too.

There's one overriding feature though. Australians are incredibly cheap. Our apartment bedroom is the size of my single room at home, but they've dumped two single mattresses on the floor and called it a double. The walls are paper thin, the place is utterly, utterly bare and we can't use the oven, grill or air conditioning because 'it costs too much money'. The building construction is sh!t, the lift is terrifying (this is a 5 year old building) and the list goes on. Oh, one last thing. They drive ancient cars that no self-respecting European would be seen dead in. And smog. What first world country still has smog in 2009? Italy I suppose.

Sorry for the semi-rant.

Hmmm, so much to pick at so little time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

macca1983 wrote: »
    Sydney is the most pretentious city in the world, bar none.

Australia is the most over rated country in the world, bar none. Take out the weather and zero people would visit

There is loads to do in Sydney and its environs. Its a massive place so do forgive them if they seem a tad cityslicker-ish :rolleyes:
    If you want pretentious, try any city bar anywhere on a friday afternoon/evening when suits go for early start to the tear.
    Since the Irish found money in the 90s, you'll find more "pretentious" people here than you'll care to admit.

Australia is the most beautiful country that I have lived in and where I lived there, the people were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Another Sydney trait, pretentious as hell.

Mate, I honestly cant respect the intelligence of anyone who considers getting drunk to that level of cheese to be a good night out. They dont go because it is ****ing sh1t. Same wat you wont find Aussies in the bleedin Woolshed- because t is SH1T. Unfortunately it was only on my last night of my wretched trip there I found out there is one club in Cairns playing decent trance, house etc. Stick to the guidebooks and all they mention is fookin Woolshed, Gilligans and Rhino bar (though tbh Gilligans wasnt as cheesey as the other two)

shane86 wrote: »
    Mate, I honestly cant respect the intelligence of anyone who considers getting drunk to that level of cheese to be a good night out.

Yet, "trance" is the thinking man's music?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yet, "trance" is the thinking man's music?

Duuuuuuude. You need a hug. *hugs* *runs back onto dance floor with glow sticks*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

man,just chill and go with the flow. hang out down the rocks and sink a beer or two up themercantile,you'll probably get talking to somebody, hit jacksons and george/9at night/) not as good as it was but hey its gotta be done, then hit darling harbour, oh wait i am a total piss head:). Learn to play pool,its good for meeting folk, Sydney is a whole lot better than brissie!!! check out paddington, basically go for walks during the day and explore the place,buy a car and explore,go out at night and have a good time, invite your fellow roomates out, there will always be somebody up for it, basically be more enthusiastic,you come across a bit down and maybe shy, your a long way from home but dont worry about it, embrace it and be happy,put a smile on your face and enjoy your new life(for the time being), have a carlton cold for me, actually make that a slab of em for me:)

Ill be going there for work purposes next week. Just a quick one but are the muesums open late ANY day? They all seem to close early.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

1. Try out crystal meth with some locals in paramatta
    2. Enter in a local cage fight for the crack
    3. Hire the biggest road bike you can and ramp it off bondi cliffs wearing just a snorkel.
    4. blow all your money on dwarf prostitutes and ring ur mommmy in the cop shop .. ive been MUGGED!!!!
    pathetic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Thanks for a fabulous contribution VNP. I'll bet you've never left your home county, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Thanks for a fabulous contribution VNP. I'll bet you've never left your home county, have you?

ah he was, he seems to know Paramatta inside out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

VNP wrote: »
    1. Try out crystal meth with some locals in paramatta
    2. Enter in a local cage fight for the crack
    3. Hire the biggest road bike you can and ramp it off bondi cliffs wearing just a snorkel.
    4. blow all your money on dwarf prostitutes and ring ur mommmy in the cop shop .. ive been MUGGED!!!!
    pathetic!!!!

What? That post doesn't even make sense.

Whatever you were trying to say, you need to tone it down. This is a helpful forum and posts like that certainly aren't helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I found Sydney to be a great spot...its really what you make of it.
    I found Brisbane to be to European-y for me...i dunno, i just wasnt mad about it.
    Sydney was great. But a city is a city is a city. Nightclubs and bars will be the same anywhere you go in the world, you'll get prententious knobs and azz head bouncers everywhere (although the "islander" bouncers in Sydney can be gits, but so would i be dealing with drunken Irish/English eejits all year).

I always prefer to stay outside of cities when i travel (except places like NY and all)...there is tonnes to do in and around Sydney. Darling harbour is cool, do one of the boat cruises around the harbour. Climb the bridge. Visit the zoo. Luna Park etc.

Get a gang and hit one of the parks and have a BBQ. The parks over there have cool BBQ's that are really well looked after.

Go out to Bondi (its not as bad as people make out) The beach is lovely, try a bit of surfing, do the Bondi to Coogee walk on a nice day its really really great.

Dont try and "fit the mold of the cool travellers". If you wanna sit in Irish bars then do it, its your trip, it doesnt make you any less of "original backpacker"...

Just get out and see stuff, chat to people. Dont stay in the city the whole time and dont sit on the internet the whole time either :)

Just my tuppence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread is great, I'll be taking all this advice on board when I finally get on the plane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

unreggd wrote: »
    Ive been in Sydney the past 2 weeks now, first time ever in Oz

I thought it would be amazing, but im completely underwhelmed since Ive been here

I'm just back from Sydney so am happy to see this thread. There is indeed alot of hype about Oz! I personally found Sydney a bit too busy in the city centre. If I'm to move to Oz for a year, I think Id prefer a smaller town

Confab wrote: »
    Now that I'm here, Australia is very overrated. It's like being in a 70's/80's timewarp. It's a nice country, the cities are more attractive than Dublin (wouldn't be hard, even Sofia is more attractive than Dublin) and there's a bit more to do, as well as being cleaner.

Oh, one last thing. They drive ancient cars that no self-respecting European would be seen dead in. And smog. What first world country still has smog in 2009? Italy I suppose.

I totally agree!!

• Advertisement

I'm just back from Sydney so am happy to see this thread. There is indeed alot of hype about Oz! I personally found Sydney a bit too busy in the city centre. If I'm to move to Oz for a year, I think Id prefer a smaller town

Depends on how small you mean. I've been living in Hobart for about 3 months but it's too small. Somewhere like Perth could be your best option.

Depends on how small you mean. I've been living in Hobart for about 3 months but it's too small. Somewhere like Perth could be your best option.

Yeah Perth and Freemantle sounds like a lovely place to live. Also Alice Springs

Advertisement