Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmare on Elm Street (teaser + facepalm!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You might want to edit the title chinny.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Jaysus! Thanks a million. Now I'm off to think about what I've done. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm looking forward to it after seeing the trailer, looks good. Was never hugely into the series so I'm not overly sceptical. Jackie Earle Haley is a good choice IMO, though I'm not so sure I can picture him with the same charm as Robert Englund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, Rob was a more theatrical villain, and Freddie was just evil

Whereas the trailer makes the film look sympathetic against Freddy, like the boiler room scene, and the way he speaks kinda calm / soft

It's just a teaser though so lookin forward to the real deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Have to say the trailer looks good. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

this looks awesum!!!!! i can't wait i hope it's 16's though :) but still very gory and violent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Not getting my hopes up on this one just yet. Seen the remake of Friday 13th and it completely messed what the films were about.

I admit the trailer does look cool...we'll see i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i shall avoide the trailer. I know ill go see it so ill try not to get any pre-conceptions before I go.
    But good to hear it looks good all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

These films gave me many sleepless nights!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Latest trailer both excites and unnerves me. The acting, apart from Earl Haley, looks exceptionally cliched teen stuff which, though I wasn't expecting more, looks like it may severely hurt the film here. The original didn't exactly line up thesps but they were actors capable of a bit of maturity at least.

On the other hand the further glimpses of the make up make me feel good about it, they've had the balls to considerably alter the original and so distance themselves even further and Earl Haley seems to be nailing a really sinister take on Freddy. Hopes up a little!

What scared me most about that trailer was to see Michael (spits) Bay's name attached.:mad:

And is it just me or does Freddy look incredibly like Mason Verger from Hannibal.

My expectations for this have pretty much bottomed out at this stage.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    And is it just me or does Freddy look incredibly like Mason Verger from Hannibal.

From the quick glimpses seen so far I'd agree but I'm still glad they didn't retain the make up applied to Robert Englund, the more different it is then easier to differentiate.

So long as Freddie doesn't go into a drug induced dance singing That's Entertainment that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Looking forward to this a lot. Love the new Krueger design, looks a lot better than the last "pizza face" design.

Just hope it's a lot better than the friday the 13th remake that came out last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

best film ever. have almost seen the whole seven series

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoWithTheFlow

Of all the remakes coming out I think this could be warranted. Apart from the original and the third one the films were never that great and even those entries haven't aged well. The series could definitely use a more serious take on it rather the the jokey theatrical freddy that has gone before which this remake seems to be going for. Unfortunately its by the same group that are churning out the other shallow below par remakes like friday the 13th. I ll still end up seeing though as a guilty pleasure. At least casting jackie earle haley seems like it was a masterstroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well what can I say...only that my fears have come true. Someone got permission to remake one of the greatest horror movies of all time, and turned it into an utter ****fest. I honestly sat through this movie wondering if someone was taking the piss. Some points:

1) If you're looking for the NOES style "psychological" horror, watch the originals. This is like a Scream installment, devoid of any suspense or truly unsettling moments like the original pulled off so well. Everything is horror by numbers and it sucks. Resorting to badly timed and scripted jump scares? Every 10 ****ing minutes? No thanks.

2) They've ruined Freddy in the physical and horror sense. The makeup in this remake is just laughable, shockingly laughable. I had reservations when I saw the pre release promo shots of the new Freddy, but I never imagined he would be this bad. Its like a man with a big chocolate mask and a hat on his head running around. I'm all for re-imagining a character but this just manages to remove everything that made the Freddy character a staple of my nightmares in my younger years. This automatically killed the rest of the movie for me. What's a horror movie worth when you find yourself laughing everytime the killer turns up and starts talking?

3)Which leads me to the voice....who the hell told him to talk like that? It's a constant irritating growl he talks with, much like the OTT voice Christian Bale does for Batman. Its not scary, its just extremely irritating to listen to from the start.

Its a boring, stale and tired remake which falls flat compared to the original. Making a NOES movie without Robert Englund was a mistake. Deciding to re-invent Freddy into the most unscary and ridiculous sounding and looking horror villian ever is simply unforgiveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

well I went to see it last night and evey thing Dark Jager said was spot on. IT SUCKED BIG TIME. I am a big avocate for remakes and I do get why film makers go in for them. But this one was just a waste of time. Friddie looked like a friendly character from a childrens show.

Thats 2 remakes in a row ive seen now that were the pits, im starting to rethink my position on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

such a crap movie
    worst remake

• Advertisement

well I went to see it last night and evey thing Dark Jager said was spot on. IT SUCKED BIG TIME. I am a big avocate for remakes and I do get why film makers go in for them. But this one was just a waste of time. Friddie looked like a friendly character from a childrens show.

Thats 2 remakes in a row ive seen now that were the pits, im starting to rethink my position on them.

The force is strong in you young paladin,come,join the darkside of the staunch anti remake brigade.

:D

What was the other remake you saw that you thought sucked?

ah it wasent a horror so I did not mention it. It was Clash of the titans.

I still say Rob Zombies 1st Halloween is my fav remake to date...... have yet to see the 2nd one but heard it was pants.....

Ah right.

Havnt seen Zombies second effort yet and am in no rush either.His first effort is passable enough despite being a bastardization of my favourite movie.Have you seen the workprint?Its supposed to be much better than the theatrical or dvd releases and apparantly much truer to what Zombie was trying to do with it but the studio bosses insisted on him changing it.Im currently in the process of borrowing it from my cousin,will report back if Im succesful.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Ah right.

Havnt seen Zombies second effort yet and am in no rush either.His first effort is passable enough despite being a bastardization of my favourite movie.Have you seen the workprint?Its supposed to be much better than the theatrical or dvd releases and apparantly much truer to what Zombie was trying to do with it but the studio bosses insisted on him changing it.Im currently in the process of borrowing it from my cousin,will report back if Im succesful.

The workprint is absolutely mind blowing compared to the theatrical tripe. Amongst the most important differences are:
    Michael's escape is far much more satisfying in the WP. Having established his obsession with his masks, it is only when an orderly mocks one of his masks that he flips and it reignites his rage. Also Danny Trejo is not killed, showing that this Michael has some sort of compassion left deep within him, something that works much better toward the plausability of the typical "attempt to reason with Michael" moments that crop up in every film in the series

Loomis doesn't get the head crushing and the quite frankly boring stalk sequence with Laurie in the attic is abandoned in favour of a Halloween 4 style blow up by the cops at the end after Michael voluntarily surrenders Laurie to Loomis. Many may balk at the notion of Michael being compassionate but for me, to make this a decent redoing of the original it should have it's own thing and so instead of the soulless killing machine Carpenter conceived, Zombie's Michael has some semblance of human behaviour left in him.

Other small changes come about, such as a very cool seventies style opening credits sequence. The one thing that the theatrical got right is Bob's death, I thought it was a great spin on the original scene.

Apologies if any of the above is incorrect, it's been a while since I've watched it but this is what I remember most vividly missing from the theatrical. I believe there's been a further Director's Cut that features footage not seen in either the theatrical or workprint, must track it down. All in all it's one of the most studio butchered films I've ever seen.

Advertisement