Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90.8% of independent economists feel that a YES is good for economy and FDI

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

http://www.indecon.ie/download/pdf/aw_lisbon_sept.pdf

The above provides and excellent report with graphs and figures and thesis of the outcomes for Lisbon with regards to economy (a hot subject now) from a group of independent Irish economists

what do our resident NO "economists" have to say now? please do back your opinions with references (something thats seriously lacking in no campaign)

i created this thread so it can be referenced anytime one of the NOs claims a NO wont harm the economy and/or will lead to status quo economically

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

So increasing corporate control is a good idea? Why has the US middle class been shrinking since the advent of Milton Friedman and the neocon conspiracy. Corporate control lowers the living standards for the majority, undermines workers rights and destroys democracy. Michael O'Leary and the other privatizers think Lisbon II is a great idea. I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

rcecil wrote: »
    So increasing corporate control is a good idea? Why has the US middle class been shrinking since the advent of Milton Friedman and the neocon conspiracy. Corporate control lowers the living standards for the majority, undermines workers rights and destroys democracy. Michael O'Leary and the other privatizers think Lisbon II is a great idea. I dont.

And ETUC and the bulk of the unions think it's a good idea too. In fact, pretty much everyone not on the far left, far right, or the far out.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

rcecil wrote: »

[where are your facts and figures?]

do remember that businesses employ a large section of our society before spitting your communist ideology, we cant all have a cushy well paid job on public sector now can we?

/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Scofflaw wrote: »
    In fact, pretty much everyone not on the far left, far right, or the far out.

Brilliant :D

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    edit: you removed post i replied to :(

/

I did. I was trying to avoid the whole "yes side are arrogant and dismissive" thing that this thread will inevitably descend into if I left it there. Doesn't matter that it's true :(

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I did. I was trying to avoid the whole "yes side are arrogant and dismissive" thing that this thread will inevitably descend into if I left it there. Doesn't matter that it's true :(

i removed mine too

its a sad day when one cant speak his mind

out of fear of being taken out of context by deliberate nitpicking and warping

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

In addition to Economists another recent survey has shown that the vast majority of Irish based multinational CEO’s believe a yes vote will have a positive impact on their business, link :

“The majority of CEOs in US companies believe jobs and investment will be lost if Ireland rejects the Lisbon Treaty, according to a new survey.
    “The survey by the American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, which took the views of 100 CEOs of US multinational companies operating in the country, showed that 91pc believe a Yes vote will have a positive impact on their business.”
    “Some 95pc of respondents believe our international reputation will be damaged if we vote No and that could have far-reaching consequences.”
    “For many of our members companies, a crucial part of their strategy and reason for being here is that Ireland is a part of Europe. Not only that, but Ireland is seen to have influence and power within Europe. If there is any doubt about our commitment to Europe or our influence within the EU, it could cause future investment to be lost to Ireland,”

At this stage can anyone doubt that the weight of evidence is that a No is more likely to damage our economy and yes more likely to help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

money,money,money is that all you small minded people think of ? can ye name just one reason why you should vote yes to lisbon that doesn't involve money,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

alrightcuz wrote: »
    money,money,money is that all you small minded people think of ? can ye name just one reason why you should vote yes to lisbon that doesn't involve money,,,,,,

Democracy, transparency, legally enforceable rights, better subsidiarity arrangements, greater control over our own government in Europe - admittedly, that's five, but still.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Here's ten:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633086

this thread is a response to the people that say that a yes vote will have no effect on the economy. Economists disagree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LOL. Pretty much your only posts here have been about the 200Bn? 400Bn? 600Bn? (How much this week actually?) fisheries lie, so it seems you are quite obsessed with d'economy yourself.

Here is one vote yes and you won't be forced to take the swine flu shot (As that seems to be your other primary concern)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Democracy, transparency, legally enforceable rights, better subsidiarity arrangements, greater control over our own government in Europe - admittedly, that's five, but still.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    hit the nail on the head,,,loss of national sovereignty to a body free from any democratic responsibility[namely the commision] the parliament is powerless, and even under the treaty of lisbon, it will remain so, any goverment should be responsible to its electors,but big business love the idea that they will be able to do what they in any country by giving freebees to some of the more corrupt commision members,there is already hints its started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

http://www.indecon.ie/download/pdf/aw_lisbon_sept.pdf

The above provides and excellent report with graphs and figures of the outcomes for Lisbon with regards to economy (a hot subject now) from a group of independent Irish economists

what do our resident NO "economists" have to say now? please do back your opinions with references (something thats seriously lacking in no campaign)

i created this thread so it can be referenced anytime one of the NOs claims a NO wont harm the economy and/or will lead to status quo economically

:pac:

What is an Independent Irish economist?

Not one from Indecon consulting anyway, who only do reports they are paid to do.

90.8% . Rubbish. Anyone with an MA in economics is an 'economist'.

Total misinformation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

getz wrote: »
    hit the nail on the head,,,loss of national sovereignty to a body free from any democratic responsibility[namely the commision] the parliament is powerless, and even under the treaty of lisbon, it will remain so, any goverment should be responsible to its electors,but big business love the idea that they will be able to do what they in any country by giving freebees to some of the more corrupt commision members,there is already hints its started.

So the the ability to sack/reject the entire commission en bloc is powerlessness by your defination.

In what way is the role of the commission changing under Lisbon? Also I don't suppose you actually have any evidence to back up your corruption allegations against the outgoing commission?

What is an Independent Irish economist?

Not one from Indecon consulting anyway, who only do reports they are paid to do.

90.8% . Rubbish. Anyone with an MA in economics is an 'economist'.

Total misinformation.

What Economists were Surveyed
    The survey results represent the opinions of 66 leading economists who are
    engaged in research or academic work in nine of the main centres of
    independent economic analysis in Ireland. Specifically, economists in the
    economics departments of the following organisations were surveyed:
    • Trinity College, University of Dublin
    • University College Dublin
    • The Economic and Social Research Institute
    • Indecon Economic Consultants
    • National University of Ireland, Galway
    Economists Not Included in the Survey
    Economists working in the media or in banks or other financial institutions
    were not included. Economists working in government departments or
    agencies or in employer or trade union organisations were also not included
    in the survey. While many excellent economists work in these organisations,
    it was felt useful on this occasion to outline the views of independent nongovernment
    research and academic economists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

What Economists were Surveyed
    The survey results represent the opinions of 66 leading economists who are
    engaged in research or academic work in nine of the main centres of
    independent economic analysis in Ireland. Specifically, economists in the
    economics departments of the following organisations were surveyed:
    • Trinity College, University of Dublin
    • University College Dublin
    • The Economic and Social Research Institute
    • Indecon Economic Consultants
    • National University of Ireland, Galway
    Economists Not Included in the Survey
    Economists working in the media or in banks or other financial institutions
    were not included. Economists working in government departments or
    agencies or in employer or trade union organisations were also not included
    in the survey. While many excellent economists work in these organisations,
    it was felt useful on this occasion to outline the views of independent nongovernment
    research and academic economists.

Many of the economists here do consulting work for...banks.

Indecon is not independent.

This does not mean 90.8% of all economists.

Many of the economists here do consulting work for...banks.

Indecon is not independent.

This does not mean 90.8% of all economists.

No they did not ask 90.8% of all economists, they did a survey. Good luck trying to find an economist that is in no way connected to a bank. The fact remains that the experts in the economy mostly agree that a yes vote will help the economy and the people who want a no vote for other reasons and so have a vested interest in playing down any effect it will have on the economy are trying to play this down, or in this case, imply that they're lying about it for some reason that I can't quite fathom because I don't see what they have to gain from pretending that a yes vote will help the economy.

I'm going with the experts anyway

marco_polo wrote: »
    So the the ability to sack/reject the entire commission en bloc is powerlessness by your defination.

In what way is the role of the commission changing under Lisbon? Also I don't suppose you actually have any evidence to back up your corruption allegations against the outgoing commission?
    do i have evidence ? no i dont,but i know the EUs own fraud office has, paul van bruitenen who was the whistleblower who brought down the EU commision in 1999,is in charged of the EU anti fraud office[OLAF] has investigated the EU commision for regional policy ,and has confirmed through investigation that corruption has taken place over a number of years. also on november 19th the EU commision president josa manual barroso shamefully threatend the UK independance partys nigel farage with legal consequences for daring to reveal the shady past of EU commisions vice president jacques barrot[barrot recieved a suspended prision sentencefor his role in a political fund raising scandal in france]are these the kind of people who you want to have in control of your destiny ?

do i have evidence ? no i dont,but i know the EUs own fraud office has, paul van bruitenen who was the whistleblower who brought down the EU commision in 1999,is in charged of the EU anti fraud office[OLAF] has investigated the EU commision for regional policy ,and has confirmed through investigation that corruption has taken place over a number of years. also on november 19th the EU commision president josa manual barroso shamefully threatend the UK independance partys nigel farage with legal consequences for daring to reveal the shady past of EU commisions vice president jacques barrot[barrot recieved a suspended prision sentencefor his role in a political fund raising scandal in france]are these the kind of people who you want to have in control of your destiny ?

Assuming for a moment the above is true, surely that should make you vote yes to Lisbon because it takes more power away from the commission and gives it to the directly elected parliament?

Though you might bring this one up, bearing in mind your previous post could you tell me what toothless EU institution brought down the commission in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The above provides and excellent report with graphs and figures of the outcomes for Lisbon with regards to economy (a hot subject now) from a group of independent Irish economists

Can you quote us some please?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Though you might bring this one up, bearing in mind your previous post could you tell me what toothless EU institution brought down the commission in question?
    it was dutch MEP paul van bruitenen who at that time was the former assistant auditor of the financial control directrate,so the answer to your question was that it was the financial control directrate .

Assuming for a moment the above is true, surely that should make you vote yes to Lisbon because it takes more power away from the commission and gives it to the directly elected parliament?
    i live in the UK so i dont yet get a vote,but if i had a chance i would vote no,reasons its not a democratic institution,a richmans club who keep changing the rules to suite their agenda,

i live in the UK so i dont yet get a vote,but if i had a chance i would vote no,reasons its not a democratic institution,a richmans club who keep changing the rules to suite their agenda,

Evidence?

are you talking about a certain Declan Ganley

:D

it was dutch MEP paul van bruitenen who at that time was the former assistant auditor of the financial control directrate,so the answer to your question was that it was the financial control directrate .

I though that they just uncovered the fraud?

http://eiop.or.at/eiop/texte/2002-014.htm

On 17th December 1998 the Parliament once more refused the discharge and brought forward a vote of no confidence with the Commission under suspicion of withholding information on fraud and mismanagement. The parliament demanded a list of all current internal investigations into cases of corruption among European Civil Servants, as well as a guarantee that legal authorities of member states are to be informed on all suspected cases of corruption. A majority of MEPs also voted in favour of a proposal for the foundation of a European Anti-Fraud Office (Hanse-Office, 2000: 14).

The vote of no confidence proposal was backed by 71 MEPs and initially aimed at supporting the Commission rather than overthrowing it. From the beginning it was clear that a parliamentary majority would be unachievable. It was therefore agreed that after the motion had been rejected, a Committee of Independent Experts would be set up.

On 15th March 1999 the Committee submitted its first report whereupon the Commission collectively resigned. This left the Commission politically weakened and incapable of acting in most adverse circumstances: In the middle of the Kosovo-crisis, the Rambouillet peace negotiations had just failed and the NATO operation against the Republic of Yugoslavia was about to start (24th March 1999). Additionally, the Agenda 2000 negotiations were imminently drawing to a close (25th March 1999).

These events demonstrated the increased power of the European Parliament since the Single European Act 1986, which the Santer-Commission obviously underestimated. The power of the European Parliament not only increased regarding legislative procedures but also in other areas such as its involvement in the budgetary process and its influence in EU appointments (Hrbek, 2001: 21).

dresden8 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by ei.sdraob viewpost.gif

Can you quote us some please?
    The survey doesn’t publish the names of the individual economists surveyed for the same reasons that we don’t use our real names when posting here, they want to preserve their anonymity. What’s more anonymity tends to evoke more truthful responses. It’s up to individuals to accept or reject the bona fides of the authors of the report.
    From the Acknowledgements section:
    “The main element in this research represents an analysis of a survey of leading independent nongovernment academic and research economists in Ireland”

Martin 2 wrote: »
    The survey doesn’t publish the names of the individual economists surveyed for the same reasons that we don’t use our real names when posting here, they want to preserve their anonymity. What’s more anonymity tends to evoke more truthful responses. It’s up to individuals to accept or reject the bona fides of the authors of the report.

What I wanted quoted was
    graphs and figures of the outcomes for Lisbon with regards to economy

dresden8 wrote: »
    What I wanted quoted was
    Apologies, I just saw "independent Irish economists" underlined and assumed you were refering to that.

• Advertisement

Martin 2 wrote: »
    Apologies, I just saw "independent Irish economists" underlined and assumed you were refering to that.

No probs, that was in the op.

Advertisement