Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-freeze in Central Heating

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Just read a tip about using anti-freeze in central heating expansion tank.

Has anyone tried this? If so what type and quantity?

danjo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

danjo wrote: »
    Just read a tip about using anti-freeze in central heating expansion tank.

Has anyone tried this? If so what type and quantity?
    The real question is why?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Gurgle wrote: »
    The real question is why?

To prevent burst pipes due to freezing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

problem is in a car they change the antifreeze every year or 2

in your central heating the water is their for good unless it need to be drained for some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

danjo wrote: »
    To prevent burst pipes due to freezing. ;)

With the greatest respect. How? All your heating pipes are in the house right! If your house is cold you will have the heating on. If the heating is on guess what! it wont freeze.

Also, the only time I have heard of pipes freezing is pipes coming from the boiler house to the house itselfe. suitable dept or lagging will stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

We haven't always had mild winters. If you happen to be away during cold weather, you could get burst pipes.
    I have seen a rad with a split high up and a frozen waterfall of ice curving down to the floor. I have seen a cast iron boiler and a waterpump cracked open.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

JamesM wrote: »
    We haven't always had mild winters. If you happen to be away during cold weather, you could get burst pipes.
    I have seen a rad with a split high up and a frozen waterfall of ice curving down to the floor. I have seen a cast iron boiler and a waterpump cracked open.
    Jim.

So you obv support this idea!

I have never heard of a case of where a system has frozen to date to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

mukki wrote: »
    problem is in a car they change the antifreeze every year or 2

in your central heating the water is their for good unless it need to be drained for some work.

Sorry of topic they dont change anti freeze every two years i cought
    4-5 garages on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Agree with JamesM I have seen similar and cylinders imploding, attic hatches left open to try to thaw out the mains to the tank, all due to freezing temperatures.

Reckon the longer we are around the more we will see ;)

The question I would have is more on the amount of anti freeze proposed and how old the heating system is, anti freeze being a chemical may cause harm especially in an old system or there may not be enough leading to a false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think a frost stat is the option required. There's no need for antifreeze unless your pipes have a long outside run - from an outdoor boiler house for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

crosstownk wrote: »
    I think a frost stat is the option required. There's no need for antifreeze unless your pipes have a long outside run - from an outdoor boiler house for example.

Hi,

I have come across frost stats disabled in outside boilers (heatpacs) customers were of the idea the boilers were firing on their own for no reason.

Then we have the old favourite, timers killing all power to the boiler so the frost stat may be begging the boiler to fire but no power.

Solid fuel stoves and back boilers would explain the header tank but no frost stats to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Isn't there a risk here that the system is connected to mains supply?
    Hypothetically, if mans pressure dropped below heating system pressure and you went to prime system, would you not face risk of ethylene-glycol getting in to mains system?
    There is also the probably higher risk that if heating coil in immersion breached, you would have same issue with ethylene glycol getting in to your washing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

So you obv support this idea!

I have never heard of a case of where a system has frozen to date to be honest.

I am not saying that you should put anti-freeze into your system. Pete and I are a little bit older than you :D. Back in '79 and (I think) '81 most oil systems used gas oil. We had severe weather in January those years and the oil froze. Also it was just after Christmas and some people were still away. Everything froze and burst :eek:
    Now most systems use kerosene - a frost stat is probably the simplest solution.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hypothetically, if mans pressure dropped below heating system pressure and you went to prime system, would you not face risk of ethylene-glycol getting in to mains system?
    There is also the probably higher risk that if heating coil in immersion breached, you would have same issue with ethylene glycol getting in to your washing water.

Yes, but other chemicals are often added to F&E tanks e.g. inhibitors, leak sealants etc.

The frost stat is a solution but will not prevent freezing if there is a power outage or frozen fuel supply pipe.

The "tip" comes from the "Readers Digest DIY Manual". Don't know if people might consider this a credible source.
    Thanks for all the responses.

danjo

Andrea B. wrote: »

There is always a risk due to bad plumbing I suppose but modern heating systems are fitted with a non return valve to prevent backwash. The non return valve is usually part of the combi filling loop.

Advertisement