Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit question

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I have a direct debit that is set up for the 4th of every month so it is next set to be taken out of my account on Sunday 4th October. I am supposed to be receiving a direct debit from someone else on the 3rd of October which is a Saturday.

My question is, are these direct debits processed over the weekend or are they not done until monday? And if that is the case, will they processed in the order they would have if they had fallen on a weekday? The reason I ask is because the direct debit coming out of my account on the 4th is more than I currently have in it, hence why I am relying on the incoming direct debit on the 3rd to bring my balance up enough to pay it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

For the payment you recieve on saturday it depend's. Its more than likely a standing order you are receiving.
    Standing order's is from a personal account to another personal account.
    Direct debit's are form a personal account to a business.
    (personal account=current account. Business= quinn direct, esb)

I have a standing order set up the end of every month and if it fall's on a saturday or sunday is still paid on that day to the other account.
    But this is because the account's are with the same bank, it also varies from bank to bank.
    If the account's are in different bank's ie. A transfer from Aib to bank of ireland it wont be in. It take's a couple of day's for the money to clear on the account so it probably wont show til after tuesday/wednesday.

The direct debit on sunday i cant remember. I think it may be taken on the monday. But it depend's on the company.

If you are relying on the money you are recieving on saturday you have 2 option's.
    Ask whomever is paying on the saturday could they pay it any earlier.
    Or ring who you have to pay the money to on sunday (the direct debit) and ask can they take it out on a later date.
    You could also arrange a temporay overdraft with your bank but its not recommended as it will cost you.

Advertisement