Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training puppys

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi everyone. could someone please tell me if there are any obidience dog trainers in waterford? the closer to the city the better! i have a shihtzu pup. nine weeks old and will have to give him away if i dont get him potty trained! (house trained). i work during the day so cannot be there always to train him!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cleoh23 wrote: »
    hi everyone. could someone please tell me if there are any obidience dog trainers in waterford? the closer to the city the better! i have a shihtzu pup. nine weeks old and will have to give him away if i dont get him potty trained! (house trained). i work during the day so cannot be there always to train him!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Newbies & FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

At 9 weeks he's still a baby so probably won't be able to hold it all day while you're at work. I have a puppy too and found crate training brilliant. He's 11 weeks now and it's been 2 weeks since there was an accident in the house :D We started by bringing him outside every hour or so and now he goes to the door and barks when he needs to go to the loo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but at 9 weeks hes only a baby and cant hold it in. It takes weeks, even months to train a puppy.
    You want to give him away because hes not potty trained?? it takes time and patience, it certainly doesnt happen over night and will take longer if you arent there to train him too.

You also need to put in the time too so cant expect him to learn if hes been left alone all day.

He needs to be trained to go outside so needs to be brought out every hour and after every meal, drink, play and sleep. He should be praised and rewarded everytime he goes outside.

Puppies cant hold it in until a certain age, so when he needs to go he just will, so please give your puppy a chance as he knows no different at 9 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup agree -- pups can't control their bladders/bowels until somewhere near 10-12 weeks +.
    It's like a baby, they can't hold it in, and they go when they have to. Especially after a big drink or after eating, they'll need to be let out. It takes a while (with patience) to train pups, and you need to have a routine too. How long of the day are you gone for? Is the pup left on it's own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭cleoh23

thanks everyone for ur help! i know it will tke time and patience. i have to get used to it as much as him. im gone from 8 til 6. but my mam goes to work at nine to half one and she will take him out at half one and feed him for me! im thinkin about takin two weeks off work(its all i can afford) and jus be wit him all day to train him better. im getting a puppy crate in 3 days,its big enough for his basket,toys, and newspaper,jus hopes he goes on the news paper in there at night till he can hold it in! its just hard gettin up so early every single morning to clean up the kitchen floor,bring him for a walk,feed him and then get ready for work! hope it dosnt take too long for him to do it outside-im exhausted already!! thanks everyone for the help and reassurance--sorry for such long message!!

Whilst I know it's not easy to afford to take time off, the pup will learn better if you have the time to train it, but maybe you can work something out timewise.
    Does your mother have the pup from half1 onwards? she can help with the training too.

It is exhausting, you're up and down like a yo yo, cleaning and watching and playing etc. But it is worth it when they learn :) honest! Just be patient and firm and your pup will get there. As said, it'll be a few more weeks before they can hold it in for any length of time, so just make sure to bring him outside after drinks and eats, and as soon as you get up/before you go to bed, and lots of praise when he goes outside.
    Even if he goes inside, if you catch him (even mid go) put him out on the grass and let him finish, then lots of praise!
    Don't give out to him for going inside at the moment, as he can't help it. When he's learning and a few weeks older, you can give a firm 'no' and pick him up and put him outside and praise when he goes out there. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭cleoh23

thanks very much for the advice-its great. its my first dog ever so im new to all this!! thanks again. hes so cute i hate havin to shout no at him for biting stuff he shouldnt cos he looks puzzled at me and sumtimes growls at me. i hope he likes me, i love him to bits and iv only had him 6 days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

thanks very much for the advice-its great. its my first dog ever so im new to all this!! thanks again. hes so cute i hate havin to shout no at him for biting stuff he shouldnt cos he looks puzzled at me and sumtimes growls at me. i hope he likes me, i love him to bits and iv only had him 6 days!!

I'm afraid you have quite a few months of chewing things he shouldn't still to come :(. The only thing to do is to put anything you don't want chewed up out of his reach and leave toys around for him to play with

Ah you must remember he's only a baby, and will want to chew everything in sight. And when they start to lose their milkteeth and are teething again... they will gnaw the fingers off you!! (ice cubes and things are good for that btw). If you have Qs feel free to ask away here, many experienced owners in this forum and all are only too happy to help.

I'm sure he does love you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Nobody had picked up on it so I thought I'd warn you...

Be careful how much you walk a young puppy, as their bones & joints are still growing so you dont want to overstress them.
    At 9 weeks, he's far too young to be going for long walks. The general advice is 5 mins per month, so all he needs at the moment is 10 mins.
    Splitting it up to 2x5 or 3x3 mins will be fine, as you do want him to get used to the lead, just dont overdo it.

A piece of advice on lead training is to start him now on the lead, at first with lead on floor, dragging behind & let him follow you around. Then after a little while, I guess 4/5 days, start holding the lead & let him follow you around with it.
    This uses his natural tendency at a young age to follow you & will hopefully result in a good dog who walks with you rather than rushing off trying to drag you along.

Good luck with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

i hate havin to shout no at him

So don't !

Shouting doesn't equal training. In fact the dog perceives being shouted at as you being aggressive towards him. At best he gets confused/intimidated, at worst he gets aggressive himself.

By all means, be firm, say "no", take the object away, but don't shout at the poor pup ...it's not deaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

Hey there,
    The toilet training will take time and you need to put the work in to get it right - as AndreaC & Starpants have already said he needs to be taken out at the times he is likely to want to go to the toilet, and get praise and reward every time.
    Also you mention you are getting a crate and putting newspapers in it for him to pee in - but he shouldn't be going to the toilet in his crate at all - this is he bed/play rest area when you want him confined and to help on the toilet training process - whenever he has been let out from his crate you bring him out to the garden to toilet (and remember when he is this young he should only be in the crate for short periods of time )- his instinct will be not to soil his bed so this is how the crate will help the training. Dog star daily is a great site for info on all things dog, training/behaviour etc - see link below on housetraining.
    Good luck with your puppy.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

Advertisement