Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog In Heat Questions

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

My dog is now a year old and, as far as I can see, she hasn't gone into heat yet. Is this normal?

How will I know when she is in heat?

A friend commented to me that she probably won't go into heat now until Spring. Is this normal for dogs to go into heat seasonally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Bitches come into heat every 6 months or so, it can start anytime from 6 months.

You will notice her vulva getting bit swollen and she will start to bleed too. Her season will last 3 weeks and it is very important not to let her anywhere near male dogs in that time. Her behaviour can change a little too so just watch out for all these signs.

I would also be careful walking her as dogs will come from miles around to a bitch in heat so i would avoid walking her while shes in heat as it wont be fair on her getting harrassed my males dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Bitches can go into first heat from about 6 months, but most take a bit longer than this and it tends not to be seasonal (with wild dogs it is). Have you thought about spaying (neutering) her? It's best to get it done before her first heat as it protects from certain cancers. And you'll avoid the pain in the bum of having a bitch in heat.

You'll know she's in heat because she will have a bloody discharge from her bits, her vulva will swell quite a bit and she will generally be fidgety and hard to settle. Often times they will have the desire to wander away from home so you'll need to be extra careful. Not to mention the dogs that will be around the house looking for her. You'll need to walk her at general "off peak" walking times to stop the boys from being driven crazy. Even the most well trained dog will be attracted to a bitch in heat and wild horses won't stop some of them!

If you are worried in any way, talk to your vet about it. They will clear up any concern you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Bitches can go into first heat from about 6 months, but most take a bit longer than this and it tends not to be seasonal (with wild dogs it is). Have you thought about spaying (neutering) her? It's best to get it done before her first heat as it protects from certain cancers. And you'll avoid the pain in the bum of having a bitch in heat.

You'll know she's in heat because she will have a bloody discharge from her bits, her vulva will swell quite a bit and she will generally be fidgety and hard to settle. Often times they will have the desire to wander away from home so you'll need to be extra careful. Not to mention the dogs that will be around the house looking for her. You'll need to walk her at general "off peak" walking times to stop the boys from being driven crazy. Even the most well trained dog will be attracted to a bitch in heat and wild horses won't stop some of them!

If you are worried in any way, talk to your vet about it. They will clear up any concern you may have.

You sure that its best to get them fixed before their first heat? My vet advised us to wait till after, its a pain in the ass waiting as i want to get it done ASAP so no accidental puppies show up.

Yep, getting them done before is the way to go! Strange your vet advised afterwards, it really is an old wives tale, there is no need to wait and it's benifitial to get it done before. Any age from 6 months up can be done. Great to hear you want to get your lady done, always a wise move ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

I don't want to neuter her because I have my feelings on neutering dogs. I actually noticed her moving around alot yesterday evening on her cushion and she's usually settled so I checked her and she is swollen so I think she could be coming into heat now.

How long will this last? I had her out for a walk yesterday evening and she was grand but she was very unsettled yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

The heat lasts for 3 weeks so be very careful bringing her out walking around other dogs.

Can i ask why you dont want to neuter her?

If you dont neuter her you leave her at risk from cancers, pyometra, womb infections, and a lot of other things like phantom pregnancies and so on which can be very dangerous and even fatal to bitches.

I would urge you to think strongly about leaving her un neutered, as its the dog that will suffer from these conditions, when really theres no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I do have a problem with people persistently pushing neutering as the solution to every single issue in this forum. That is going to stop right now. The OP said they don't want to neuter, so that is the end of it.
    Can i ask why you dont want to neuter her?
    No. OP does not want to neuter.

If you want to persist with this point I will be left with no option to start banning people.

Yep, getting them done before is the way to go! Strange your vet advised afterwards, it really is an old wives tale, there is no need to wait and it's benifitial to get it done before. Any age from 6 months up can be done. Great to hear you want to get your lady done, always a wise move ;)

ok but is there difference of opinion on this ? Where i am coming from is why would a qualified vet advise me to do the wrong thing? are there difference of opinions on this in the medical world? i am basing this on the assumption that vets use medicial logic instead of old wives tales?

just curios is all.

Calhoun wrote: »
    ok but is there difference of opinion on this ? Where i am coming from is why would a qualified vet advise me to do the wrong thing? are there difference of opinions on this in the medical world? i am basing this on the assumption that vets use medicial logic instead of old wives tales?

just curios is all.

Just like any profession, there are definately differences of opinion within the vet profession on many subjects. If you trust your vet to do what's best for your dog then there is no need to doubt them, I'm just giving my two cents!

@ Triton - a bitches heat usually lasts 3 weeks but the tend to be in full heat (with quite a bit of bloody discharge) for about 10 days. Keep a close eye on her over the next few days and try to keep her isolated from other dogs if you think she is coming into heat.

Just like any profession, there are definately differences of opinion within the vet profession on many subjects. If you trust your vet to do what's best for your dog then there is no need to doubt them, I'm just giving my two cents!

@ Triton - a bitches heat usually lasts 3 weeks but the tend to be in full heat (with quite a bit of bloody discharge) for about 10 days. Keep a close eye on her over the next few days and try to keep her isolated from other dogs if you think she is coming into heat.

cool thanks, given me something to think about. I want to get her fixed soon but i was waiting because of what the vet said but ill have to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

it really is an old wives tale, there is no need to wait and it's benifitial to get it done before.
    I dont think it is an old wives tale. As you said in your next post, it is a difference of opinion.
    What are the benifits of getting surgery prior to the first heat?
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Where i am coming from is why would a qualified vet advise me to do the wrong thing? are there difference of opinions on this in the medical world? i am basing this on the assumption that vets use medicial logic instead of old wives tales?

just curios is all.

Our vet said that surgery could be done before, or after the first heat. She said that it was only recently that they have started to do it prior to the first heat. It is, supposedly, not as difficult of an operation to carry out if done prior.
    We asked her when she would get her own dogs done, and she said after the first heat, so that is what we are doing. Our girl is due to get it done in two weeks - hoping we can get her out of a phantom pregnancy prior though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misha240

Regarding the spaying before first heat issue, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.I would certainly advise spaying before the first heat.
    There was a study published awhile ago stating that the incidences of mammary tumours increase with each heat,

"Ovariectomy [spaying] before the first estrus [heat] reduces the risk of mammary neoplasia [cancer] to 0.5% of the risk in intact bitches; ovariectomy after 1 estrus reduces the risk to 8% of that in intact bitches. Bitches neutered after maturity have generally been considered to have the same risk as intact bitches."

And urinary incontinence, which is not an uncommon side effect of a bitch spay (may happen years after the op), is also less likely before the first heat, according to some studies.
    Dunno if that's helpful to anyone!:)

misha240 wrote: »
    Regarding the spaying before first heat issue, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.I would certainly advise spaying before the first heat.
    There was a study published awhile ago stating that the incidences of mammary tumours increase with each heat,

"Ovariectomy [spaying] before the first estrus [heat] reduces the risk of mammary neoplasia [cancer] to 0.5% of the risk in intact bitches; ovariectomy after 1 estrus reduces the risk to 8% of that in intact bitches. Bitches neutered after maturity have generally been considered to have the same risk as intact bitches."

And urinary incontinence, which is not an uncommon side effect of a bitch spay (may happen years after the op), is also less likely before the first heat, according to some studies.
    Dunno if that's helpful to anyone!:)

Ok so if i read the above correctly neutering before heat = 0.5% chance and after = 8% chance. I would assume those numbers are a best estimate so in reality i would assume the difference of opinions in from the professionals is due to the low probability of it happening once spayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

andreac wrote: »
    The heat lasts for 3 weeks so be very careful bringing her out walking around other dogs.

Oh lord, 3 weeks? haha My male dog is going stir crazy at the moment as a bitch in our estate is in heat and her owners seem to refuse to keep her in bloody side.

Its driving me crazy too as he is howling at night, really hard to settle etc. I thought it would be closer to a week. :(

He got out this morning through my legs and didnt come back for hours.

Lets hope he settles a bit now or I dont know what we will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

yungwan wrote: »
    Oh lord, 3 weeks? haha My male dog is going stir crazy at the moment as a bitch in our estate is in heat and her owners seem to refuse to keep her in bloody side.

Its driving me crazy too as he is howling at night, really hard to settle etc. I thought it would be closer to a week. :(

Get him castrated....... That will put a swift end to his sinfull thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Actually there is alot of research coming out now to support holding off spaying / neutering until a dog is fully grown, between 18 months - 2 years depending on the breed due to the role sex hormones play in the growth and development of the dog. Yes there is a minimally higher risk of mammary cancer but a sharp decrease in bone cancer, of course I'd rather my dog not get cancer at all if it was to get one I'd rather it be mammary than bone, mammary is easier to detect and has a significantly higher survival rate, bone cancer is almost always a death sentence.
    I had my Rottie bitch booked in to be spayed at 6 months but after doing some research into it I cancelled the appointment and she'll be done when she is 2 if I decide not to show. My advice is usually if you can confine you're dog safety while in heat wait until the dog is fully grown if not spay early.
    As for when a dog comes into heat, my Rotties was almost 11 months before she came into heat as the bigger the breed usually the older they are before they come into heat for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

To be honest its 3 weeks minimum. But theres a very small time scale to when she will actually be able to get pregnant so I wouldn't worry to much if he gets at her. If shes bleeding she wont stand for him and she cant get pregnant. Its the roughly week after bleeding when she will be looking for a male and can become pregnant.

I'd also ask your neighbor (nicely) to keep her in as its upsetting your dog and you don't want to let your dog out to impregnate theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I prefer to wait untill a bitch is fully mature and generally let them have at least one heat if they are not to be used for breeding. I have found by doing this they are less likely to have urinary incontinence as they get older.

Even bitches used for breeding get spayed when they have recovered from their litter to prevent mammary tumours/ovarian cancer and pyometra

Fortunately things seem to quieting down here again! Maybe she is coming out of it now (even though its only been about 10 days). Perhaps she was in heat before my dog starting going mad to get out??! Anyway he got one or two chances "to get at her" and seems to be happy enough with himself now! lol

She is alot bigger than him and he wasnt able to reach her anyway so I doubt he impregnated her!! They also seem to be keeping her in most of the time too.

Im still going to get my male "fixed" as I dont want to go through this again! Thank god he is back to my quiet good doggy again!

Fortunately things seem to quieting down here again! Maybe she is coming out of it now (even though its only been about 10 days). Perhaps she was in heat before my dog starting going mad to get out??! Anyway he got one or two chances "to get at her" and seems to be happy enough with himself now! lol

She is alot bigger than him and he wasnt able to reach her anyway so I doubt he impregnated her!! They also seem to be keeping her in most of the time too.

Im still going to get my male "fixed" as I dont want to go through this again! Thank god he is back to my quiet good doggy again!

I wouldnt be so sure. If a bitch wants to be mated she will do everything she can to do so. They will lie down and manouvre themselves so the dog can mate her so dont think because she is bigger that they cant still mate as they can even mate through fences etc.

I recommend you get both of them neutered/spayed, its healthier for them too.

Sorry, just realised you only own one of the dogs. Fair play for getting him neutered, your life wil be so much easier and so will his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

A guy I know has a Jack Russell X Wolfhound, the Wolfhound was the mother! I don't even know how . . .

So I should have taken all your advice on board the first time!! haha

But once things had settled down neutering the dog went on the long finger again (who would have thought it costs bloody €80? Steep enough!)

Things were quiet for about 3 weeks and I had my lovely quiet, albeit slightly lazy dog back.

But his hormones are back with avengence! My OH is going mad coz he has eaten through the bottom of our new gate in his desperation. The whinging and crying is becoming unbearable.

So he is scheduled to get "done" tomorrow!! It cannot come quickly enough.

Lets hope he isnt in too much pain afterwards :(

So I should have taken all your advice on board the first time!! haha

But once things had settled down neutering the dog went on the long finger again (who would have thought it costs bloody €80? Steep enough!)

Things were quiet for about 3 weeks and I had my lovely quiet, albeit slightly lazy dog back.

But his hormones are back with avengence! My OH is going mad coz he has eaten through the bottom of our new gate in his desperation. The whinging and crying is becoming unbearable.

So he is scheduled to get "done" tomorrow!! It cannot come quickly enough.

Lets hope he isnt in too much pain afterwards :(

Well done on getting him done, it will definately put your mind at ease when there are bitches in heat and he wont be as tormented either.

But 80euro really isnt that dear when you consider the drugs, time, expertise etc that are needed to carry out this operation.

andreac wrote: »
    Well done on getting him done, it will definately put your mind at ease when there are bitches in heat and he wont be as tormented either.

But 80euro really isnt that dear when you consider the drugs, time, expertise etc that are needed to carry out this operation.

Yeah, its true, it will be worth every cent. For everyones peace of mind!!

I actually never realised the extent of the frustration dogs feel, or how mad they go to get out. We had dogs when we were kids but I guess I never noticed. Its actually crazy, my dog wont listen to us and trys to get out the door at any opportunity. And if he does manage to escape we dont see him for hours. :(

Does anyone know will be be very sore afterwards? Will be able to walk etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

God yeah, €80 is a bargain. I paid €150 for my less than 10kg dog a few years ago.

Well done for getting him neutered, he'll be much happier and it's the resposible thing to do.

My guy was absolutely fine the next day. First day he'll be a bit groggy so just keep him quiet and warm and give him a light meal when he gets back, scrambled eggs or something. Don't feed him too much and make sure he has lots of water. Keep his lampshade on when you can't see him and only bring him out on a lead for the first week. No strenuous exercise and lift him up and down off furniture to make sure he doesn't burst his stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    A guy I know has a Jack Russell X Wolfhound, the Wolfhound was the mother! I don't even know how . . .

Better than the other way round:eek:

Imagine the birth..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Im fully for spaying/neutering. Not because of cancer or other problems but purely on the fact that there are so many unwanted dogs PTS. Growing up my dad was strictly anti-fixing, and still is. His golden retriever goes mad and has to be confined when the bitch across the road is in heat but he never strays to the bitch down the road. From experience it depends on the particular dog how much they really "want it" ;). Luckily there is a quarter of an acre fenced in area to confine him when she is in heat so he still has his space.
    So I suppose what Im trying to say is that fixing your dog is your choice but you also need to take into account what sort of life your dog/bitch will have during this time, and when the time is around 3 weeks, twice a year for many years the time really adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Im fully for spaying/neutering. Not because of cancer or other problems but purely on the fact that there are so many unwanted dogs PTS. Growing up my dad was strictly anti-fixing, and still is. His golden retriever goes mad and has to be confined when the bitch across the road is in heat but he never strays to the bitch down the road. From experience it depends on the particular dog how much they really "want it" ;). Luckily there is a quarter of an acre fenced in area to confine him when she is in heat so he still has his space.
    So I suppose what Im trying to say is that fixing your dog is your choice but you also need to take into account what sort of life your dog/bitch will have during this time, and when the time is around 3 weeks, twice a year for many years the time really adds up.

It is tragic that so many dogs are put down in Ireland every year. We are one of the worst in the world for it. And then you have all the dogs that spend their entire lives in the back garden. :( So well done anyone who is a reponsible owner and gets their pet neutered. By the way with cats I'd recommend six month at the latest. I got caught out at 8 months by one of mine. Littering so young changed her personality and not for the better. I did find (hopefully) good homes for all the kittens and added one to my lot as well but I wouldn't make that mistake again. At least with a dog you can keep it behind four walls easily enough. If they are high enough! A male who smells a bitch on heat is remarkable. Spiderman could learn a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My female Cavalier came into heat a week and a half ago even though she was 10 months old last saturday. I first noticed whe was in heat when she was in my arms and I felt the wet so I put her on her back to check and she was bloody below. Then the next day her Vulva was swolen. The bleeding stopped on tuesday this week and she is still swolen below. I havent walked her since I noticed she was in heat and when I leave her out to potty I go out with her for a few minutes. After all I dont want a Border Collie / Cavalier accident. I will be getting her spayed when she comes out of heat again in about two or three weeks.

• Advertisement

Well Im glad to report that my little fella is happy out again and seemed completely oblivious to his little operation!!

I thought he might be a little peeved at me when I collected him from the vets but he was fine, just a little tired.

Im so glad I got it done, and the vet didnt even put the lampshade on him as she said it distresses them, and he hasnt gone near the stiches, hes just been licking himself.

Im delighted to have my happy, unfrustrated dog back and can rest easy in the knowledge that thats the end of his friskiness and frustration!!

If you have problems with a roaming dog get him neutered, its the best decision we have made!

Advertisement