Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber band on dogfish

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

I caught a dogfish off Bray Head yesterday with a rubber band around its body, just behing the head. The band had cut right down into the flesh near the gills. I was able to carefully remove it and the fish swam off. It was like removing a stitch, the flesh had healed over it in places. Just wondering has anyone come across this? The band must have been put on deliberately and was causing a really nasty injury:mad: Perhaps whoever did it didn't realize it would cut into the fish. If it was anyone who reads this, please STOP. There's no need for cruelty in our sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i doubt it was anybody who reads here as all here seem to be the real deal as opposed to assclowns.

i suspect it was part of a discarded weighted rig rather than done intentionally?

maybe it was done on purpose, there's more than enough muppets in the world who would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's more likely to be plain old pollution. We're throwing so much plastic into the sea these days.

Google for:
    pacific plastic vortex gyre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

maybe some fellah caught a few fish the same size and wanted to prove to himself that they were different individual fish, so banded him and cast out again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I know when people are dead-baiting they'll often use a band to try and make sure they don't loose the bait. Could it have been used as live bait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 adam2040

Have got dogfish like this before, but elastic band was not cutting into the fish. Band removed and fish was released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

adam2040 wrote: »
    Have got dogfish like this before, but elastic band was not cutting into the fish. Band removed and fish was released

This was a real small band that couldn't have got on accidentaly. A larger, looser band wouldn't cut in. What surprised me was the rough doggy skin didn't wear through the rubber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 adam2040

Would be dissapointed if this was delibrately done, but there are some so called anglers out and about that dont help the sport and give the rest of us a bad name.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

stevenmu wrote: »
    I know when people are dead-baiting they'll often use a band to try and make sure they don't loose the bait. Could it have been used as live bait?

For what? A swordfish?Doggies are big,remember!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Degsy wrote: »
    For what? A swordfish?Doggies are big,remember!

I was thinking of tope or some other type of shark. Also the fact that it was likely much smaller when the band was put on. I haven't done much sea fishing, and I never have and never would live bait (even if it was legal and standard practice) so I don't really know if that's feasible or not.

Thinking about it again it's probably very unlikely, I can't see how it would have got away with the band still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

tricky D wrote: »
    It's more likely to be plain old pollution. We're throwing so much plastic into the sea these days.

Google for:
    pacific plastic vortex gyre

I just did exactly that... and came across a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39-gdWW4-E

A quote.... "the use of permanent materials for disposable products" kinda fcuked up really

• Advertisement
Advertisement