Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog walking dark evenings

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Does anybody have good suggestions about where around Cork city to walk a dog on winter evenings when it's dark? We're looking for somewhere he can run around off the lead - so open field basically! We are around the Bishopstown area, but can drive to anywhere that would work.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

What about the Lee Fields, as far as I know there are street lights in most of the lenght of it near the railings. Also handy for car parking

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Farm UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Farm UCC?

isn't that private property? Not sure how they would feel with people using it for letting their dogs run about the place with no lead (OP, I presume you will be cleaning up after your dog too).

I've seen lots of dog walkers around the Lee fields alright. I can't think of many places around Bishopstown where you can let the dog run around without a lead safely. There is a certain business park (yes, private property again!) which I won't name but I've often seen people letting their dogs run about that place....not that I agree with it but it's an option I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The Lee fields is really only lit up by the Kingsley end,it's ok to leave the dog off but its a short stretch and it's narrow enough so the dog wouldn't get a proper run!!From the car park onwards it's pitch dark, you couldn't see 2 feet in front of you, I brought my dog down there a bit later than usual the other night and had to leave early it was way too dark!!
    Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions because I'm in the same boat myself, I will be watching this in hope of some good suggestions!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 middling

Hi,
    Thanks for the responses, some good possibilities. I have seen lots of people walking their dogs at the farm, so it might work (yes I do clean up after him), - is it normally floodlit at night? Am fairly new to Cork so don't really know much about it.
    Any other suggestions welcome. It doesn't have to be near Bishopstown at all - anywhere within 20 or so mins drive of the city centre would be fine.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Friars Walk - theres big park next to tory top library. Surrounded with fence:) It is near ALDI shop in Ballyphehane. So its about 7 minutes drive from Bishopstown. Very good place for that. Plus if u have children theres a place for them to play and a spot for shooting hoops (basketball) outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I'm interested in an enclosed park as well, I have rescue dogs and I need to train recall with them. Lee Fields wouldn't be good with all the traffic from ballincolig.

I was thinking of Clashduv park near the Togher road, although I haven't tried it out yet.

A good 4 feet or higher fence would be nice.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Majority of city,county council parks get locked up at dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

How about the Lough, its pretty popular with dog owners,
    and a nice little walk too

emeo wrote: »
    How about the Lough, its pretty popular with dog owners,
    and a nice little walk too

Not really a good idea to have dogs off the lead there really is it :rolleyes: It's a bird sanctuary primarily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement