Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi at the moment we have a 2 year old westie & we love him to bits, he's a house dog & loves his home comforts. I want to get a second westie but I'm worried my first dog will feel left out or his personality will change. Hes a really affectionate dog aways sitting our laps & cuddling. I have seen him with other dogs & hes great, I would love one for company for him but will a second dog change him? Am I just being silly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hi. You're not being silly,another dog can really upset the resident. There's lots of advice out there,introduce the dogs in a nuetral venue,make sure they have the same rules,let them sort out there own little arguments. I can't say if that's good advice,I've never introduced a new dog. Nueturing males will calm them down a bit,definitly a good move. Oh,good luck with the new westie if you get him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi there, we introduced a new pup to our year old dog almost 3 months ago.
    First how is your dog when another dog comes into the house?
    Does your dog like puppies?
    Our dog never minds who's in his house and loves every dog he meets, so I knew half the battle was won before we started.
    We bought the pup in and let her wander around, she was nervous of him but he just wanted to play. Within a few minutes they were fine.
    Watch them around food(ours like to share) and toys, don't make a big fuss of the pup, make sure they have different sleeping areas.
    So far we've had little trouble, when older fella is tired he can get grumpy with the pup jumping on his head(just gets up and walks away or a growl) but otherwise they get on great.
    We never left them alone unsupervised for a few weeks but otherwise it's just common sense.
    As for changing his personality...the pup taught ours how to dig and they do find more mischief as apair than one alone ever did.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

After our moving to Ireland with our at this time 12 year old westie boy we got a puppy westie girl. I was a bit skeptical first because the westie boy was treated like a little prince for nearly 12 years!
    But everything turned out really good for everyone. The dogs are getting on great with each other and we are so happy to have this two lovely fellas!
    The only thing i regret is that we waited toooo long to get a second dog!:o

Advertisement