Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoint outside UL last night??

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Anybody else see the Garda checkpoint just outside the eastgate on the way up to Oaklawns last night at about 11.15pm. There were two garda on each side of the road stopping traffic. Me and my friend were driving up to collect a pizza in Dominos and on the way up the two on the road up stopped us - one stood infront of the car and the second came over to the window had a good look into the car and said "Dont be shy about pulling up to talk" and asked "Where we were going". When we told them they let us pass, didnt check tax/insurance or ask for license.

On the way back got stopped again by the two on the other side, had an ever stranger conversation - first he saw the pizza and said he wouldnt keep us so it wouldnt get cold, then asked us where we were from (my friend is from offally) and he started talking about the "faithful county", converastion went dead for about 15 seconds and he was just staring at us and eventually said go on. Again didnt check license or tax/insurance.

Anybody know what was going on? The only thing I can think of is they were checking for drink-driving. There was the usual amount of people walking to the lodge along the footpath at the time too but they were completely ignored, and we had a feeling that they were only stopping Golfs becasue they seemed to be waving on everything else except them. It was quite strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Probably got a tip off about someone they are looking for, possibly told he was heading somewhere in a golf.

BTW, where is dominoes pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Yeah thought that too. Would loved to known what it was all about but you cant really ask a garda whats going on.

Its up beside Rios, opposite the lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

Saw that myself last night, they were talkin to a silver opel...possibly the newer vectra/astra...then all of a sudden, all the cops hop into their car and speed off, leavin one cop standin talkin to someone! They werent there on my return journey, a few minutes later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

They always do that, the rubbish conversation I mean - just trying to smell drink in your breath is all.

As for their positioning - well I dunno, but I know of quite a few people who make that drive out to Dunnes etc. after one or two;)

Advertisement