Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cookbook and Why?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I would like to start a thread where people can recommend a specific cook book and give reasons why.

I have bought a good few recently and I am fed up not finding anything to cook from them, or finding crap recipes. Some books have some nice dishes but are bulked up with ‘filler’ recipies that aren’t really that good. I am all for ‘simple’ and ‘quick’ cooking Monday to Thursday but every so often I would like to use more than 3 ingredients!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

I absolutely concur. I just bought Jamie in America and while I expected there to be some hard to find ingredients it's just ridiculous. I don't honestly think I'll be able to find the ingredients for any of these recipes. On the same day, however, I also bought Economy Gastronomy and I think it's excellent. Lots of very good recipes, very delicious but with a subtle collection of flavours. So it's not overly simple or at all bland. Fantastic things to do with meat, in particular, which is good for a meat-loving two-person house like ours where it can be tempting not to buy larger joints for fear that they just won't be used. I'd recommend it, especially if you are a very organised person (I skipped all the 'how to be organised' stuff at the start because I already do pretty much all the things suggested in the way that I run the house. This may be partly why the book appeals to me by the way, but in any case...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I also have a Jamie Oliver book, but I haven't tried anything out of it as some stuff seems little out there. Not exactly ingredients that your average supermarket might have. I'm sure they could be tracked down with a bit of effort, but it's not always practical to do so.

About 2 weeks ago I got a copy of a book very similar to this '500 Best-ever Recipes', same author/editor, just a blue cover. http://www.amazon.co.uk/500-Best-ever-Recipes-Collection-Favourite/dp/0754816435/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254136790&sr=1-1 and it's a lot more practical than Oliver's book. I've made a handful of things from it so far and the ingredient's tend to be more within your reach. Got it at a reduced rate as a friend got it from a rep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's already an extensive thread about this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978683.

Advertisement