Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good nightclubs in Limerick City

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all!
    I'll be going to limerick as a part of hen party next month. Just wondering which pubs and specially night clubs are worth visiting. We are all in our late 20's and early 30's. Looking for clubs with good music that you can actually dance to ;).
    Thanks in advance and looking forward to visiting your beautiful city:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

If you do a search,this has been covered plenty of times

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Limerick would not have great clubs but a few names of places that would be hen friendly would be The Sin Bin, Icon, Angel Lane, and if you do not mind a younger crowd then the Trinity Rooms.

As for pubs, The Sin Bin is the club attached to Clohessy's bar. Smyths is the bar attached to the Icon, and Nancy Blakes pub is just across from it.

The Locke Bar would be another good pub for a hen and is only 100 yards from the Trinity Rooms.

A lot of Hens seem to go to the Texas Steakout which is on O' Connell Street, to get some food first in one of the function rooms. Never really saw the attraction in the place for something like that but it does good business for hens so it must be doing something right.

If the hen is in late October, then you could time it with the many fancy dress nights that get held in the clubs around Halloween.

A lot will depend on where you are staying also and how far you want to travel around the city.

Enjoy your trip to Limerick, any hen night here that I have seen when out always look like they are having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Locke Bar would be another good pub for a hen and is only 100 yards from the Trinity Rooms..

When were you last in the Locke? Not the liveliest place in Limerick,

Trinity Rooms? for late 20's to 30's? I think you would be 10 years too old in here.

Denmark Street is the area to go. Flannerys across from Icon and Nancys Blakes are the pubs and Angle Lane for the Niteclub and also agree ICON Niteclub as well. Plus thay are all with 200 feet of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

knockon wrote: »
    When were you last in the Locke? Not the liveliest place in Limerick,

Trinity Rooms? for late 20's to 30's? I think you would be 10 years too old in here.

Denmark Street is the area to go. Flannerys across from Icon and Nancys Blakes are the pubs and Angle Lane for the Niteclub and also agree ICON Niteclub as well. Plus thay are all with 200 feet of each other.

Awful bar service too, they never look around to see whos actually been waiting just serve whoever shoves into the queue in front of them

The Bailey would be good for an older crowd, at least it as last time I was in there which wasnt long after it opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eclipse13

Thanks a mill for all the replies! We'll be mot likely visitin most of the recomended clubs and pubs...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

eclipse13 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for all the replies! We'll be mot likely visitin most of the recomended clubs and pubs...:D

let me know what day it is.. :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Which nightclubs play proper dance music, not the chart crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Bunker 4 plays funky house and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

At the moment there isnt too much regular reliable dance music in Limerick, with the exception of a night called Micronite in Dolans, the next one will be Oct 10th. There you will get very good music and good atmosphere.

Other than that , look out for whats going on in bakers place downstairs dance wise, "what the **** is tech house" is one night. Im not sure if it would be the place to be if your heading down just for one night, it can be dead in there sometimes and that could put a dampner on the trip.

Last but not least Trinity rooms on certain nights will have good music this month and next month. Pendulum are playing a dj set oct 16th. Ferry Corsten is playing Oct 7th, and Eric Prydz this wednesday.

All the other clubs mentioned play fairly cheesy dance music especially if its a saturday night your heading down.

The Limerick pub scene aint bad though, Id recommend the Locke to anyone visiting Limerick, you cant beat that riverside drinking. Other spots you might like would be Nancys and the Trinity rooms courtyard, they both have lovely outdoor drinking spots.

What about the SIN BIN? Is it any good? What kind of music? We're not much into techno and all that:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SIN BIN plays chart music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

eclipse13 wrote: »
    What about the SIN BIN? Is it any good? What kind of music? We're not much into techno and all that:rolleyes:
    no need for the rolley eyes , you said you wanted something to dance to so I told you all the dance listings.

Just head to Icon or Trinity rooms or Angel Lane.
    I personally cant stand Sin Bin each to their own I guess.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anybody:o It was just a general question about that Club and I mentioned we're not into techno music. Just to check which clubs we should avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Angel Lane has a few different rooms under one roof with different styles of music. Icon has two rooms with a different theme depending what night you are out. Both are located near each other close to the Cornmarket area of the city with a few bars too and suitable for 20 & early 30 somethings. This might suit you if there is a diversity among the hens, at least you will all still be under the one roof.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

The prices at Angel Lane give me Anal Pain.

€15 on a Saturday night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Did you get a free drink with that?? I haven't been in a nightclub in the city centre in a long while but that's crazy!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Crazy is not the word for it, complete feckin eejits must only pay 15 Euros when theres no international dj or guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

15 euro is extortionate. I would want a cast iron guarantee of getting the leg over with a presentable young maiden before I'd pay that. In writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

i go out in Limerick usually twice a week. Mostly end up in Trinity rooms but Im only 22, I personally think its the best niteclub in town musically, they have 3 rooms, one with chart and dance , one with rnb/hiphop and the courtyard has a variety sometimes rock or drum n bass or whatever.. Downstairs in the Icon is awful on a saturday as its just "Journey" and Bryan Adams being played. Upstairs is good with chart music. Angel Lane is terrible!!! It looks cool but everything is in the one area really (apart from the class indoor smoking area & I dont smoke!). Its 15€ to get in and about 6 euro a drink! ROBBERS! should move it to temple bar.. mollys bar is good but it has its off nights.

Id probably recommend going to Icon, but if ye end up in Trinity rooms, I might end up chattin ye up so apologies in advance :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Angel lane and the Icon are awful, you would be better off just finding a late serving bar like upstairs in dolans and staying there for the night in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Only a fiver into Costello's... if you like getting your feet stuck to the carpet and freezing your hole off in the smoking cage. It's a magical place - best music in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DannyAngellane

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Angel Lane is terrible!!! It looks cool but everything is in the one area really (apart from the class indoor smoking area & I don’t smoke!). Its 15€ to get in and about 6 euro a drink! ROBBERS! should move it to temple bar.. :o:D

I wanted to address a few of the issues brought up in this and other threads, but before I do I might as well explain that I spend very little time posting or reading comments on various boards any more as usually it is only the opinionated people who have had a bad experience who go to the trouble of posting - and they will be the most vocal about their grievances.

You will find that of the 1000's of people that go through the doors of various bars and clubs in Limerick every week a very very small percentage of them are represented here or on any other blog etc. Very few people are here saying what a wonderful time they had in one club or another - is everyone having terrible nights out in limerick or is it just that the people who did have a good night don't feel the need to get on the internet and rant about it. I also realize that inevitably you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Some want dance music others want Rn'B or Chart, some like a young crowd others prefer an older crowd or the type of crowd as in mainstream / alternative can form any individual’s opinion of a place I think you can see where I am going with this...

Anyway to be specific about the comments posted above, It is fair enough to say Angel Lane is terrible if that’s your opinion fine, but you could explain your reasons, as the reasons listed are all incorrect. "everything is in the one area really" NO - We have three floors, with two different dance floors playing different music. There are five different area's including two different smoking areas and five bars the club is about 11,000 square feet - forgive me if I think it’s unreasonable to say everything is in one area it is not exactly a barn with four walls and a roof. €15 to get in and about €6 a drink - also incorrect. It is now and has been for some time €12 to get in before 1am on a Saturday only. It is this price with a concession which our security give out to everyone before 1am and even those who do not have one are still only charged €12 until 1am. It is €15 after 1 we are obviously a business and plenty of people don’t leave the late bars until after 1:00 so simply put we charge less to the customers who come early and spend their money behind our bar. As for the price of drink - Make no mistake despite the very misleading advertising in place by some competitors we are the ONLY NIGHTCLUB that offers special offers on drinks all night every night. There are 3 for €10 offers on various beers, spirits and alcopops. I would also point out that these are the mainstream brands not cheap alternatives. It is not €6 a drink all bottles are €5 and spirits are under €5. Of course if you’re drinking a spirit and mixer it’s more expensive but our mixers are also not over priced. There are some places in limerick which are bars and not clubs where you can get drink cheaper again but in my own personal opinion - not that of the clubs - best of luck mixing with the quality clientele.

To sum up I would advise anyone who is not familiar with the nightlife in limerick to wait until you get here and ask the people you meet who you feel would be of the same mindset as you, where to go. You may get a very different response from them. Finally we do offer special rates including reserved area's and complimentary champagne to group bookings if you are interested you can email info@angellane.ie I am sorry if I sound condescending but frankly it really gets on my tits when nameless, faceless people on the internet blast all of the clubs and bars in the city usually with wildly contrasting and conflicting opinions. I am clearly working for Angel Lane and I make no attempt to hide that. As I said the best advice is to come to limerick and ask people you meet on arrival or over the course of your night where the most suitable venue for you is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

I'm 21 but I would prefer older clubs in general, as I prefer a good dance and meeting new people to teenagers feeling each other up after one too many Aftershocks!

Costellos is great fun if you like sort of rock/punk music, but it has the stickiest carpet floor I've ever experienced! Probably not the kinda place a hen party would be at home in.

Icon - Smyths, the bar attached to Icon, can have great music, live bands, etc. Icon itself is ok, very easy to lose people if its all open, and the dance floors aren't that big. The music is a mix of chart and old regulars, can't complain.

Flannerys and Nancy Blakes, across the road from Icon, are two older late bars. They are good for meeting people, Flannerys is probably less packed on a normal Saturday than Nancys. Not really dance spots though.

Angel Lane - overpriced as hell but at the same time its trendy in Limerick at the moment so you do get a nice crowd there if you like meeting people. Two dancefloors and a middle floor great for chatting. The music is fairly standard chart stuff. Sometimes it does chart at the start of the night, goes quite dancey for a while, then finishes the night chart again. A glass of wine is extortion in there though!!

Trinity Rooms can be quite dancey and techno on a Friday, and I assume Saturday is much the same. Not a fan at all, its like a big shed IMO. Last on my list if I were you.

Sin Bin - haven't been there in over 2 years, small dance floor and the DJ is a bit creepy! Clohessys is good though!

Denmark Street is your best bet. If you feel like a sneaky cocktail at the start of the night, look for Charlie Chaplains just off William St - quiet and can be a weird crowd at the weekends, but their Grasshoppers make it worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wanted to address a few of the issues brought up in this and other threads, but before I do I might as well explain that I spend very little time posting or reading comments on various boards any more as usually it is only the opinionated people who have had a bad experience who go to the trouble of posting - and they will be the most vocal about their grievances.

You will find that of the 1000's of people that go through the doors of various bars and clubs in Limerick every week a very very small percentage of them are represented here or on any other blog etc. Very few people are here saying what a wonderful time they had in one club or another - is everyone having terrible nights out in limerick or is it just that the people who did have a good night don't feel the need to get on the internet and rant about it. I also realize that inevitably you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Some want dance music others want Rn'B or Chart, some like a young crowd others prefer an older crowd or the type of crowd as in mainstream / alternative can form any individual’s opinion of a place I think you can see where I am going with this...

Anyway to be specific about the comments posted above, It is fair enough to say Angel Lane is terrible if that’s your opinion fine, but you could explain your reasons, as the reasons listed are all incorrect. "everything is in the one area really" NO - We have three floors, with two different dance floors playing different music. There are five different area's including two different smoking areas and five bars the club is about 11,000 square feet - forgive me if I think it’s unreasonable to say everything is in one area it is not exactly a barn with four walls and a roof. €15 to get in and about €6 a drink - also incorrect. It is now and has been for some time €12 to get in before 1am on a Saturday only. It is this price with a concession which our security give out to everyone before 1am and even those who do not have one are still only charged €12 until 1am. It is €15 after 1 we are obviously a business and plenty of people don’t leave the late bars until after 1:00 so simply put we charge less to the customers who come early and spend their money behind our bar. As for the price of drink - Make no mistake despite the very misleading advertising in place by some competitors we are the ONLY NIGHTCLUB that offers special offers on drinks all night every night. There are 3 for €10 offers on various beers, spirits and alcopops. I would also point out that these are the mainstream brands not cheap alternatives. It is not €6 a drink all bottles are €5 and spirits are under €5. Of course if you’re drinking a spirit and mixer it’s more expensive but our mixers are also not over priced. There are some places in limerick which are bars and not clubs where you can get drink cheaper again but in my own personal opinion - not that of the clubs - best of luck mixing with the quality clientele.

To sum up I would advise anyone who is not familiar with the nightlife in limerick to wait until you get here and ask the people you meet who you feel would be of the same mindset as you, where to go. You may get a very different response from them. Finally we do offer special rates including reserved area's and complimentary champagne to group bookings if you are interested you can email info@angellane.ie I am sorry if I sound condescending but frankly it really gets on my tits when nameless, faceless people on the internet blast all of the clubs and bars in the city usually with wildly contrasting and conflicting opinions. I am clearly working for Angel Lane and I make no attempt to hide that. As I said the best advice is to come to limerick and ask people you meet on arrival or over the course of your night where the most suitable venue for you is.

"only" €12?? That's a disgrace for one, and granted it's all nightclubs that charge this rip off. €5 for a bottle of beer is another joke. I lived in Italy, could stay out till 5am, and never paid in anywhere. ever, unless it was some tacky "exclusive" nightclub.
    The system they had in Italy, which I thought worked was:
    The first time you went into a club/late bar, you paid between €5 to €10. They gave you a card. Anytime you came in after that, you showed them the card, and got in for free. You became a "member"..
    Or else let people in for free, have the 3 for €10 deal, and you'll have it jammers week in week out.
    I was driving home out of town last Saturday, and was watching the queues into clubs, and can no longer understand why someone would fork out €12 or €15 in to some club for an hour or so, battle their way to the bar, and get served sh1te drink. I just can't understand it anymore.
    A late bar...happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Only a fiver into Costello's... if you like getting your feet stuck to the carpet and freezing your hole off in the smoking cage. It's a magical place - best music in Limerick!

Now this place has the kind of character that the other shiny trendy places can only dream about!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seachto7 wrote: »
    "

Or else let people in for free, have the 3 for €10 deal, and you'll have it jammers week in week out.

I was driving home out of town last Saturday, and was watching the queues into clubs, and can no longer understand why someone would fork out €12 or €15 in to some club for an hour or so, battle their way to the bar, and get served sh1te drink. I just can't understand it anymore.

You've just defeated your own arguement there. Why would you let people in for free when there are already packing the place out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DannyAngellane

seachto7 wrote: »
    "only" €12?? That's a disgrace for one, and granted it's all nightclubs that charge this rip off. €5 for a bottle of beer is another joke. I lived in Italy, could stay out till 5am, and never paid in anywhere. ever, unless it was some tacky "exclusive" nightclub.
    The system they had in Italy, which I thought worked was:
    The first time you went into a club/late bar, you paid between €5 to €10. They gave you a card. Anytime you came in after that, you showed them the card, and got in for free. You became a "member"..

You are correct it is all nightclubs that charge €12 on a Saturday night. So i guess its up to you which one of us robbers you want to give your money to. As you said you were driving home from town last Saturday and you saw the queues for the clubs and couldn't understand why anyone would pay €12 for an hour or so. From this i deduced that you were not out yourself or at least if you were out you were not drinking otherwise clearly you would not be driving and either way you have no interest in going to any club but yet seem to know so much about them. If everyone shared your opinion all the clubs and bars would be closed in a month. As for what its like in Italy, give me a break thats a ridiculous comparison. I don't pretend to understand the complexities of why the price of EVERYTHING varies so wildly from one country to another but its hardly Angel Lane's fault. Drink, food, cars etc are half the price in the UK that they are in Ireland and they are only a 45 minute flight away, as for Italy come on you cant be serious.... If Ireland has nothing to offer you, feel free to have your nights out in Italy. Another thing is if you feel so strongly that €12 for an hour or so is ridiculous feel free to pay your €12 at 11pm when we and other clubs open and you can complain about the price, service and quality of drink for at least 3 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Clubs kicking people out @ 2.30AM is a solid disgrace, the pubs should close earlier if clubs have to close at 2.30.AM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've never understood why people go to clubs after 1am, you pay more to walk into a packed club where everyone is already hammered and people are even leaving at that stage, I only ever go to the trendy clubs at halloween/christmas and if its someones birthday or something, other than that its late bars and Costellos, 5 bucks to get in, you can stay in the bar in a booth and just relax with a few pints instead of roaring at people over the music

Advertisement