Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good nightclubs in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You are correct it is all nightclubs that charge €12 on a Saturday night. So i guess its up to you which one of us robbers you want to give your money to. As you said you were driving home from town last Saturday and you saw the queues for the clubs and couldn't understand why anyone would pay €12 for an hour or so. From this i deduced that you were not out yourself or at least if you were out you were not drinking otherwise clearly you would not be driving and either way you have no interest in going to any club but yet seem to know so much about them. If everyone shared your opinion all the clubs and bars would be closed in a month. As for what its like in Italy, give me a break thats a ridiculous comparison. I don't pretend to understand the complexities of why the price of EVERYTHING varies so wildly from one country to another but its hardly Angel Lane's fault. Drink, food, cars etc are half the price in the UK that they are in Ireland and they are only a 45 minute flight away, as for Italy come on you cant be serious.... If Ireland has nothing to offer you, feel free to have your nights out in Italy. Another thing is if you feel so strongly that €12 for an hour or so is ridiculous feel free to pay your €12 at 11pm when we and other clubs open and you can complain about the price, service and quality of drink for at least 3 and a half hours.

no italy isn't a ridiculous comparison. Will I include France and Belgium and Germany etc in there as well? I've lived in France and Belgium as well, and if I want to stay out until 4 am in those countries, I can, and I don't have to pay 12 or 15 euro for it. I'm 32 so have been in enough nightclubs down through the years to know I wouldn't pay in to one again.
    A complete WASTE of money in my opinion. It's not just Angel Lane, it's the whole country, and folk are worse for paying it I think. There's not much alternative so people have to pay the entrance fee or go home early, simple as....But we like to complain in Ireland and do nothing about it. There is no justification for charging €15 into a nightclub, at 11pm or any hour. YOu would be expecting beer served on a pair of tits for it...90% of people go to nightclubs for late drink, not for the decor...

krudler wrote: »
    ....other than that its late bars and Costellos, 5 bucks to get in, you can stay in the bar in a booth and just relax with a few pints instead of roaring at people over the music

if you get in early enough, it's free..but you get the trendies down town who think costelloes is full of junkies and hippies and scum...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

I've never understood why people go to clubs after 1am, you pay more to walk into a packed club where everyone is already hammered and people are even leaving at that stage, I only ever go to the trendy clubs at halloween/christmas and if its someones birthday or something, other than that its late bars and Costellos, 5 bucks to get in, you can stay in the bar in a booth and just relax with a few pints instead of roaring at people over the music

Well see in most civilised countries nightclubs aren't forced to pull the plug at an hour when a lot of people are only halfway through their night. For some odd reason there isn't the great levels of drunken violence in continental European countries where hundreds of hammered drunk people aren't made to spill onto the streets at the same time.

I doubt Michael McDowell has ever been in a nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Clubs kicking people out @ 2.30AM is a solid disgrace, the pubs should close earlier if clubs have to close at 2.30.AM.

But nighclubs don't kick people out at 2.30 am by choice, our outdated nanny state style alcohol licencing laws can be thanked for that. From a nightclub perspective the longer they can stay open the more money they would make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I wanted to address a few of the issues brought up in this and other threads, but before I do I might as well explain that I spend very little time posting or reading comments on various boards any more as usually it is only the opinionated people who have had a bad experience who go to the trouble of posting - and they will be the most vocal about their grievances.

You will find that of the 1000's of people that go through the doors of various bars and clubs in Limerick every week a very very small percentage of them are represented here or on any other blog etc. Very few people are here saying what a wonderful time they had in one club or another - is everyone having terrible nights out in limerick or is it just that the people who did have a good night don't feel the need to get on the internet and rant about it. I also realize that inevitably you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Some want dance music others want Rn'B or Chart, some like a young crowd others prefer an older crowd or the type of crowd as in mainstream / alternative can form any individual’s opinion of a place I think you can see where I am going with this...

Anyway to be specific about the comments posted above, It is fair enough to say Angel Lane is terrible if that’s your opinion fine, but you could explain your reasons, as the reasons listed are all incorrect. "everything is in the one area really" NO - We have three floors, with two different dance floors playing different music. There are five different area's including two different smoking areas and five bars the club is about 11,000 square feet - forgive me if I think it’s unreasonable to say everything is in one area it is not exactly a barn with four walls and a roof. €15 to get in and about €6 a drink - also incorrect. It is now and has been for some time €12 to get in before 1am on a Saturday only. It is this price with a concession which our security give out to everyone before 1am and even those who do not have one are still only charged €12 until 1am. It is €15 after 1 we are obviously a business and plenty of people don’t leave the late bars until after 1:00 so simply put we charge less to the customers who come early and spend their money behind our bar. As for the price of drink - Make no mistake despite the very misleading advertising in place by some competitors we are the ONLY NIGHTCLUB that offers special offers on drinks all night every night. There are 3 for €10 offers on various beers, spirits and alcopops. I would also point out that these are the mainstream brands not cheap alternatives. It is not €6 a drink all bottles are €5 and spirits are under €5. Of course if you’re drinking a spirit and mixer it’s more expensive but our mixers are also not over priced. There are some places in limerick which are bars and not clubs where you can get drink cheaper again but in my own personal opinion - not that of the clubs - best of luck mixing with the quality clientele.

To sum up I would advise anyone who is not familiar with the nightlife in limerick to wait until you get here and ask the people you meet who you feel would be of the same mindset as you, where to go. You may get a very different response from them. Finally we do offer special rates including reserved area's and complimentary champagne to group bookings if you are interested you can email info@angellane.ie I am sorry if I sound condescending but frankly it really gets on my tits when nameless, faceless people on the internet blast all of the clubs and bars in the city usually with wildly contrasting and conflicting opinions. I am clearly working for Angel Lane and I make no attempt to hide that. As I said the best advice is to come to limerick and ask people you meet on arrival or over the course of your night where the most suitable venue for you is.

Fair play for coming on and defending your club, its not often youd see that and people will give the club more respect for that, but 3 points

1. Your not really charging less to people arriving before 1am, your just ripping off people that are arriving after 1am. €15 is madness. Its a brilliant looking club but its just too much. And also , in a way your punishing people that are late, so not only do they get less time to spend at your club but your going to charge them more for it. Sounds more like ripping off the drunk imo.

2. Its the faceless people moaning you should be listening to, not giving out about,its only natural people are gonna vent here, they cant vent to the bouncers or staff, theyre not gonna write an article in the paper , theyre hardly gonna arrange a meeting with the club owner, all they can do is offer feedback here or to their friends.

3. Whats the price of your pints? Its a genuine question cause I havent been there in a few months and I noticed you didn't address that in your post, you only mentioned bottles and shorts and tenner offers.

And to the OP, be careful what kind of advice you read online, cause it can be dodgy. Costellos to alot of people is an absolute sh1thole, yes it seems kinda popular here, I like it personally, but Im just saying that you have no idea what type of person your getting advice from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

seachto7 wrote: »
    no italy isn't a ridiculous comparison. Will I include France and Belgium and Germany etc in there as well? I've lived in France and Belgium as well, and if I want to stay out until 4 am in those countries, I can, and I don't have to pay 12 or 15 euro for it. I'm 32 so have been in enough nightclubs down through the years to know I wouldn't pay in to one again.
    A complete WASTE of money in my opinion. It's not just Angel Lane, it's the whole country, and folk are worse for paying it I think. There's not much alternative so people have to pay the entrance fee or go home early, simple as....But we like to complain in Ireland and do nothing about it. There is no justification for charging €15 into a nightclub, at 11pm or any hour. YOu would be expecting beer served on a pair of tits for it...90% of people go to nightclubs for late drink, not for the decor...

go on then, throw France in there.
    how much is a pint in France? mixer and spirit?
    having been to a few clubs over there, you pay a lot on the door, usually in the guise of a bottle of cheap whiskey for €100 between 4, then drinks after that are €8-12 a go.

zuroph wrote: »
    go on then, throw France in there.
    how much is a pint in France? mixer and spirit?
    having been to a few clubs over there, you pay a lot on the door, usually in the guise of a bottle of cheap whiskey for €100 between 4, then drinks after that are €8-12 a go.

I suppose my point was you don't have to go to a club if you want to stay out late in France. Yes, the pints are dear over there, but I found places with prices comparable to here for pints, and I could stay in there till all hours without paying a €15 entrance fee. Shots of Ricard (like pernod) were only €2 as well in pubs. Wine is cheaper...
    I never went to cheesey clubs on the continent. In 2 years in Italy I never went to one, as they charge what you have quoted above. People with more money than sense will pay that, under the illusion they are getting "exclusive" treatment etc. more power to the nightclub for charging you €100 for a bottle of whiskey and more shame on you for paying it...
    The most I paid into in Italy was €5, to an indie rock nightclub,and I basically stayed there till I dropped down of tiredness....

I'll agree to disagree with you anyways...

I suppose my point was you don't have to go to a club if you want to stay out late in France. Yes, the pints are dear over there, but I found places with prices comparable to here for pints, and I could stay in there till all hours without paying a €15 entrance fee. Shots of Ricard (like pernod) were only €2 as well in pubs. Wine is cheaper...
    I never went to cheesey clubs on the continent. In 2 years in Italy I never went to one, as they charge what you have quoted above. People with more money than sense will pay that, under the illusion they are getting "exclusive" treatment etc. more power to the nightclub for charging you €100 for a bottle of whiskey and more shame on you for paying it...
    The most I paid into in Italy was €5, to an indie rock nightclub,and I basically stayed there till I dropped down of tiredness....

I'll agree to disagree with you anyways...

you can do that in limerick too, with Mollys, get early enough to costellos, and a few other bars I'm sure. regardless, there is still expensive clubs in these other countries, and they're busy too, so what you're arguing is more personal taste than anything. for the record, I'd be of similar opinion, and would much prefer a late bar where i can hear my mates, but its nice to have the option.

closing times are out of the pubs and clubs hands, thats one to be taken up with your local politician.

yep, it is down to personal taste. I underlined that a few posts back just to be on the safe side. Mollys is all well and good, but I think a 32 yr old would look very out of place there surrounded by 18 yr olds!! Even if a nightclub played music I was REALLY into, I still don't think I would pay €15 in. But that's just me. I just couldn't justify it...
    If we had one or 2 more late bars, it would be grand. Costelloes is grand, but you would get sick of it as well week after week...
    Another late bar with some good alternative/non chart music would be great other than bakers..

Saying that, I've never been down to Dolans late on a Saturday. They have a late bar right? Any good..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

But Costelloes is an aquired taste and I would not be recomending it to someone who is new to the city for a hen night. I haven't been down there since my college days but i hear it hasnt changed a bit.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 needcar

there are no decent niteclubs in Limerick- theyre either full of teenagers, students (bawk), or posers. the pubs are the same, and dont expect to be able to move in either flannerys or nancys- they are always packed at the weekend, for no reason that i can see except 'thats where the cool people go'.
    costellos used to be a decent crowd but its just full of handicapped students these days, and the music is sh*t- indie and poprock, with a few classics thrown in at the end of the night- still dirty and cold too!

i sense a business opportunity if I could get the money!! :)

a good late bar with good rock alternative music

no, costelloes wouldn't be good for a hen, but if they were into their music (a certain type of music), it would be good

i sense a business opportunity if I could get the money!! :)

a good late bar with good rock alternative music

I'll go into business with you so! But I have to have a METAL bar and over 23's only! No Emos allowed either. :p

grand, metal it is!! remember the juke box in the high stool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

needcar wrote: »
    I'll go into business with you so! But I have to have a METAL bar and over 23's only! No Emos allowed either. :p

Ah,ye metalheads and Emos are all the same if you ask me :D

EXTREMELY offended, emos listen to whingy gay music, Metal is completely different, you obviously don't know enough about music to comment.

i like other kinds of music too as do most people, maybe bar the ones who wear tracksuits and gold jewellery.

There really never was a decent metal pub in Limerick since the stool closed- nestors, riddlers and the likes just went to the dogs too. the last decent metal gig i went to was when tampora played in dolans about 3 years ago. the rest is just crap irish band who really are rubbish.

why cant we get some decent bands to play in thomond park? why waste it on gay a*se rugby and bloody elton john?

EXTREMELY offended, emos listen to whingy gay music, Metal is completely different, you obviously don't know enough about music to comment.

i like other kinds of music too as do most people, maybe bar the ones who wear tracksuits and gold jewellery.

There really never was a decent metal pub in Limerick since the stool closed- nestors, riddlers and the likes just went to the dogs too. the last decent metal gig i went to was when tampora played in dolans about 3 years ago. the rest is just crap irish band who really are rubbish.

why cant we get some decent bands to play in thomond park? why waste it on gay a*se rugby and bloody elton john?

Sarcasm mate,it's lost on you

not at all, just wanted to get my piece in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

there are no decent niteclubs in Limerick- theyre either full of teenagers, students (bawk), or posers. the pubs are the same, and dont expect to be able to move in either flannerys or nancys- they are always packed at the weekend, for no reason that i can see except 'thats where the cool people go'.
    costellos used to be a decent crowd but its just full of handicapped students these days, and the music is sh*t- indie and poprock, with a few classics thrown in at the end of the night- still dirty and cold too!

but thats what makes it Costellos:D A smoking room that looks like something out of Fight Club, the odd classic Rage or Nirvana track playing, cheap in, cheap drink, boots, no posers (well not a many as the downtown places) most of my nights out consist of Bakers/Chick/Costellos, either a mix or all 3 at times,any time I've wound up in one of the trendy clubs I get annoyed after a half hour and want to leave

miss the stool :(

• Advertisement

but thats what makes it Costellos:D A smoking room that looks like something out of Fight Club, the odd classic Rage or Nirvana track playing, cheap in, cheap drink, boots, no posers (well not a many as the downtown places) most of my nights out consist of Bakers/Chick/Costellos, either a mix or all 3 at times,any time I've wound up in one of the trendy clubs I get annoyed after a half hour and want to leave

Ah...memories!! I had forgotten how many times I had fallen down the stairs. :D I

Worst night I ever had in costellos was when I was in the club less than 5 minutes, it was full of Mary I students and me and friend were standing by the door upstairs, next to that alcove just to the left, and some girl who was hammered drunk sitting there proceded to puke all over the backs of my legs , I didnt even realise at first until i could feel it getting all warm on my feet for some reaon, turned around and she was passed out on the couch covered in vomit, classy bird

And the cans of beer,yes..I love them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mary I people aren't all bad...

An File wrote: »
    Mary I people aren't all bad...

Not at all, had some great nights out chatting to people from there, Costellos has become a lot more trendy lately though, well saying that I havent set foot in a pub in over 4 months, but last time I was there on a Saturday night there were girls in short skirts and heels, the Icon/Smyths crowd type, used to always be rock chicks/emos and girls in jeans before

its the terrible price we pay for "rock" being in fashion. :(

Not at all, had some great nights out chatting to people from there, Costellos has become a lot more trendy lately though, well saying that I havent set foot in a pub in over 4 months, but last time I was there on a Saturday night there were girls in short skirts and heels, the Icon/Smyths crowd type, used to always be rock chicks/emos and girls in jeans before

haha, how bad! I remember when there would be one good looking woman in there, and the whole pub would be following her around the place...
    you would get a lot of erasmus students in there too during the year.
    I love it when I go to the dj and say "got any AC DC" and 5 mins later, it would come on. The same if I asked for FNM or INterpol etc.

zuroph wrote: »
    its the terrible price we pay for "rock" being in fashion. :(

That and having to listen to the same 2 Kings of Leon tracks every feckin night up there, The High Stool is sorely missed, probably the only pub you could have a metal band, bikers, teenagers, muso's, people playing street fighter 2 on a big tv and crusties all in the one bar:D plus it had the "its 11pm on a Saturday, i look like I've just gotten out of bed, want to go out , to the high stool!" aspect

A sure sign the recession is hitting Limerick hard!!:p I think I'm due a visit now. This thread has gone way off topic but anyway...carry on.

• Advertisement

I was there Saturday Night and well,all I can vaguely remember is some girl with a christmas hat having a dance off with some fella.good times

Advertisement