Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic battens... possibly

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey.

I'd like to hang about 30 photographs for an exhibition, and the space has some interesting constraints.

There's a picture rail of some sort, off which we can hang things with hooks.

The pictures are light and printed onto a 2mm foam board - they range between A5 and A2 in size. So I though I could attack velcro to the back, and stick them to vertical slats or battens. Hang two battens from hooks, with the pictures stuck to both to keep them vertical, and to prevent them from swinging. 'Easy'.

Wooden battens would be easy to source, but I'm concerned they may twist or torque easily, and/or pick up moisture during the exhibition - and we might have subsequent exhibitions through the next year.

So are there thin plastic strips, about 25mm wide, 1 or 2mm deep, and 1.5m long that I could use? And what would be the best way to attach a hook of some sort? Is there plastic that's drillable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

2x1 timber wood ( ha ha get it) be ideal . light. strong enough for what you need. and you can drill it as much as you want. should retain its shape too.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Cheers, but I worried it might start twisting. It'll need to last about 6 months in 6-8 different venues, being mishandled, poorly wrapped, and maybe kicked about the floor a bit. ;)

i reckon the timber would retain its shape more than the plastic. as for the pbeing kicked around i am not sure any of those materials will fit the bill. go to any diy place.

2x1 is pretty common. cheap enough too. if it breaks easily fixed.

to reinforce it you could put metal strap behind it. same type that you use as wall strap. might strengthen it a bit.

sure let us know what you go with in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Metal straps are a good idea. Not something I've used before, but I'll see what the DIY places say.

Brilliant. Thanks very much. =)

go to the place and just have a look. a piano hinge would be another good way of supporting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement