Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My brothers dog is in heat again (Third time this year)

Options
  • 28-09-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I was over at my brothers house yesterday and his dog is in heat again (Acording to them). It was only about six weeks ago she was in heat and she was in heat last march. I said to my brother , sister and my brothers girlfriend that she shouldnt be in heat again because a female dog goes into heat only twice a year but they're insisting that she is in heat again and that its ok. The only symptom she has of being in heat is her dripping blood drops every once in a while , other than that she seems ok.

Am I right to be concerned? They refused to listen to me when I told them a few times over that its not right she should be in heat again. After all its only about six weeks ago she was in heat and she is only a three year old jack russell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Steve30x wrote: »
    I was over at my brothers house yesterday and his dog is in heat again (Acording to them). It was only about six weeks ago she was in heat and she was in heat last march. I said to my brother , sister and my brothers girlfriend that she shouldnt be in heat again because a female dog goes into heat only twice a year but they're insisting that she is in heat again and that its ok. The only symptom she has of being in heat is her dripping blood drops every once in a while , other than that she seems ok.

Am I right to be concerned? They refused to listen to me when I told them a few times over that its not right she should be in heat again. After all its only about six weeks ago she was in heat and she is only a three year old jack russell.

who knows. all dogs are different. mine only came in twice in 2 and a half years. check for swelling and blood. if shes in shes in i suppose. there are no set rules no nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I wont be able to check until the weekend because my broher is in coledge (And the dog is locked in the house alone for 11+ hours a day for 5 days a week) and I only go over there on the weekends. But I dont think the dog should be in heat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Be very careful that she doesnt have an infection there, it could be a thing called pyometra, an infection of the womb which is very dangerous.

Dogs should not come back into heat that quickly so i would urge them to get her checked by the vets as pyometra can be fatal.

Some dogs have shorter cycles, maybe every 4 months as opposed to 6 but she shouldnt be coming in so quick again.

andreac wrote: »
    Be very careful that she doesnt have an infection there, it could be a thing called pyometra, an infection of the womb which is very dangerous.

Dogs should not come back into heat that quickly so i would urge them to get her checked by the vets as pyometra can be fatal.

Some dogs have shorter cycles, maybe every 4 months as opposed to 6 but she shouldnt be coming in so quick again.

I told them she should be checked out but it was like talking to the four walls. They insisted that she was ok but I 2was sure something was'nt right with her being in heat so fast. Theres nothing I can do because they refuse to listen to me as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Pyrometra is very serious and needs to be treated quickly, if not the bitch is very likely to die. It all happens very fast and needs to be dealt with in the same speedy manor. I have never heard of a dog with shuch a short heat cycle, as the previous poster said - maybe 4 months - but certinally not six weeks. Blood or pus coming from the vulva is a very bad sign esp with this timimg. Pyometra tends to appear aroudn mid way between heat cycles.

Of course, all dogs are different (just like all women have different timing between periods) but this sounds very dodgy to me. The dog could need to see a vet asap, it would be worth another try talking to your brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A dog in heat 6 weeks after her supposed last cycle isnt normal! Try and get her to a vet asap. Even if she isnt in season, bleeding of that kind isnt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

I wont be able to check until the weekend because my broher is in coledge (And the dog is locked in the house alone for 11+ hours a day for 5 days a week) and I only go over there on the weekends. But I dont think the dog should be in heat yet.

unless im missing something?
    why does this person have a dog if its alone for 11 plus hours a day five days a week?

I have no Idea what so ever why he has this dog. As I said theres no talking to him. I myself dont think he should have a dog but theres no talking to him. If you think thats bad you should see what he thinks is a good way to potty train the dog. The only thing I have to say is the ISPCA wouldnt too proud of his training methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I have no Idea what so ever why he has this dog. As I said theres no talking to him. I myself dont think he should have a dog but theres no talking to him. If you think thats bad you should see what he thinks is a good way to potty train the dog. The only thing I have to say is the ISPCA wouldnt too proud of his training methods.

You are obviously concerned about the welfare of the dog.
    Why don't you ring the SPCA and leave an anonymous report that there is a dog at a certain address that you feel is being neglected/treated badly. Tell them what you know and, hopefully, what needs to be done will be done.
    Nobody will ever know who left this message.
    Its what I would do, regardless of who owned the dog.

I am concerned for the dog but would hate to see her go because she is a great dog once she is treated right. I dont want to cause any trouble and they never mistreat the dog when their friends are over so I would get the blame real fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I am concerned for the dog but would hate to see her go because she is a great dog once she is treated right. I dont want to cause any trouble and they never mistreat the dog when their friends are over so I would get the blame real fast.
    ... she is a great dog once she is treated right.
    The vast majority of dogs are.
    I dont want to cause any trouble
    You wont be causing trouble, you will be speaking out on behalf of an animal that cant speak out for themselves.

Of course they wont mistreat the dog when others are around - because they know this is wrong.

Anybody could have rang and reported the fact that the dog is left alone, regularly, for 11 hours a day. This act alone is cruel.

They are refusing to listen to you when you say the dog needs medical help. They are neglecting the dog.
    You will blame yourself even more if something happens that you could have prevented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Yes I would definetely call the spca about this, if your worried about who they'l think it was that reported them it could just have easily have been a neighbour that noticed that he is being left for 11+ hours a day or seen him being abused.
    If the dog is taken away then at least you'l feel better that the dog is going to a better home and that vet treatment isint being withheld.
    I usually don't have a problem with dogs being left while people go to work, so long as the dog seems reasonably happy with it, and is provided with something to entertain himself and has shelter, I mean people have to work its a fact of life, but 11+ hours is way too long. As somebody has already said i don't know why people like this get a dog in the first place because they hardly have any time to spend with it, they should have a stuffed animal instead!!!:mad:

Advertisement