Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Fans?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Any other foodies here into Masterchef the Professionals? I have to admit that I watch it religiously. It is TIVOed every night here and watched either at the time it's on or in a big, foodie love fest at the weekends. The quality of some of the professionals in the skills test is shocking, but generally I love it. Bit disappointed that-as usual-there are so few women, but still in love with Michel Roux Jnr and Greg-the-Egg isn't annoying me too much yet. Any other fans? Proper masterchef will be starting soon as well. YAY!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think it's a great show. Really enjoying it over the past week.

It;s actually one of the better food shows out there. That and Come Dine With Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Does masterchef put the recipies online - I haven't managed to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 although the standard in the skill test was shocking. Spatchcocking a chicken , shucking an oyster, or even cooking a bleeding ommlete were all messed up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

I am always amazed by how many professionals make rubbish out of the classic recipe test, when they are given the recipes and the instructions for them beforehand and they are ALWAYS French recipes. A little preparation would go a long way with these recipes I think.

Monica, by the way, is fantastic. The facial expressions are only brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭farmerval

Haven't seen much of this show but love Masterchef in general.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yes I LOVE this show. The skills test is possibly my favourite bit. So funny to see simple tasks, that even non chefs could probably do, getting messed up.
    The night of the chicken one, I actually had a dream I was doing that, and I was very very good at it.;)

Oh and how funny when they all served raw chicken in their piella.

What's the difference between this and normal masterchef? Is it non professionals normally?

Yes, is normally non professionals. And the format is slightly different usually. Also, Michel Roux doesn't have any role to play in the normal Masterchef-it's John Therou (spl?) normally along with Greg-the-Egg, of course!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Right, my brother did say that La Roux guy wasn't normally on it. Is he on something else cookery compitition wise? I'm sure I've seen him tasting food before?

• Advertisement

Monica, by the way, is fantastic. The facial expressions are only brilliant.

My Missus cannot stand her. Bit of an angry "comfortable shoe" wearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Love it!

Totally addicted, not crazy on that Monica one but she is growing on me. Getting a bit bored of the same intro at the start "Being one of only four chefs with 2 Michelin Stars, Michel Roux...*cut to him polishing shot glass with a stern face" . Hopefully they might stop playing that EVERY night!

Loving the series so far though. Some of them make some blatant mistakes though, saying that the pressure is pretty immense with the likes of Greg/Monica/Michel literally standing over your shoulder!

Looking forward to the semi finals now. Just to see what kind of tasks they'll be set!

Getting a bit bored of the same intro at the start "Being one of only four chefs with 2 Michelin Stars, Michel Roux...*cut to him polishing shot glass with a stern face" . Hopefully they might stop playing that EVERY night!
    two words, sky plus....sorts it right out

duploelabs wrote: »
    My Missus cannot stand her. Bit of an angry "comfortable shoe" wearer

I presume by this you mean lesbian? So what? She certainly knows her stuff and doesn't accept sub-standard work. Just sounds like someone with a good sense of professionalism to me.

Love it!

Totally addicted, not crazy on that Monica one but she is growing on me. Getting a bit bored of the same intro at the start "Being one of only four chefs with 2 Michelin Stars, Michel Roux...*cut to him polishing shot glass with a stern face" . Hopefully they might stop playing that EVERY night!

Oh I know...and it's the same with the normal Masterchef (except they say 'cooking DOESN'T get harder than this' instead of 'better than this' like they say on MC the professionals). I concur with the sky plus comment. This bit always gets fwded chez nous!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

cut to him polishing shot glass with a stern face

Monica's "get that garnish on the plate. Now." line is worse, TBH.

The show itself isn't bad...although I've been shocked more than once at the performances of some of the pro chefs in the current series.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My OH's brother, who is a professional chef took part in this. He got as far as the quarterfinals last week.

I think the big problem for these guys is the time limit in each case. Maybe they're just not used to working somewhere where dishes have to be ready that fast. But then I wonder what sort of place they've been working where they don't have to know basic kitchen skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Insurgent wrote: »
    I think it's a great show. Really enjoying it over the past week.

It;s actually one of the better food shows out there. That and Come Dine With Me.

What the Fup??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Yes, is normally non professionals. And the format is slightly different usually. Also, Michel Roux doesn't have any role to play in the normal Masterchef-it's John Therou (spl?) normally along with Greg-the-Egg, of course!

Torode i think...

I presume by this you mean lesbian? So what? She certainly knows her stuff and doesn't accept sub-standard work. Just sounds like someone with a good sense of professionalism to me.

I meant by her demeanour and attitude being very tired at this stage. She constantly uses the same repertoir of expressions and phrases. I've nothing against her professionalism, but some people don't do TV well and I believe she's one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

only started watchign this show for first time few weeks ago! really enjoy it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Masterchef is like watching a train wreck in slow motion - I hate it but I can't switch it off. Greg has irritated me for years - ever since he used to pop smutty innuendo every five minutes to female guests on the Saturday Kitchen. John Torode makes me gag every time he loads a spoonful of food into his mouth. Michel Roux Jnr looks like a Steve Bell cartoon of Tony Blair - what the hell is going on with his eyes?

The professional chefs are a collection of reheaters with the occasional talent thrown in to give the competition a potential winner. The early rounds are populated with mostly blokes who, after an age working in reheateries, can't remember how to spatchcock a chicken or bone out a piece of meat.... I haven't done this since college....

It's a bit like the X Factor - weeks and weeks of mostly mingers and some singers before any talent starts to shine through.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Really enjoying this at the moment - great standard on the quarterfinal last night.

Monica is relaxing a bit as well as the series is progressing and is not quite so angry looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

I love, love, love masterchef
    that Ludovic seems brilliant but so cocky..

Damn my Thursday night boozing. Didn't get to see it last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

dont know if they are showing it agian but i ll put a spoiler anyways
    Ludovic went through and Mick that guy who is head chef in a hotel i think, he seems really skilled but not as creative as "Ludo" who made an oyster jelly.. and a pear and blue cheese souffle for dessert! i wouldnt mind trying that souffle myself

Ludovig is a genuinely exciting chef, the first proper spark of 'master' in this year's masterchef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

lin lin wrote: »
    I love, love, love masterchef
    that Ludovic seems brilliant but so cocky..

I agree. He seemed certain that he was going to win last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

He was soooo chillaxed! :)

I would have liked Dan to have gotten through, but he fecked up the main far too much to be even considered. His choc dessert looked heavenly. *drool*

Matt and Ludo were so going to make it to the semis. Can't wait for the next quarter final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

I reckon Ludo will win, he was brilliant. Love masterchef too.

Advertisement