Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of gaming

Options
  • 28-09-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Is this the end of high end hardware? online gaming no more upgrades needed.

http://www.onlive.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Only if everyone is lucky enough to have a 24meg, contention free, zero usage limit connection then yeah otherwise for the other 99% of the population, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

certainly looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Only if everyone is lucky enough to have a 24meg, contention free, zero usage limit connection then yeah otherwise for the other 99% of the population, no.

So pretty much Ireland cant use it. Our connection here is way below the European average. Should be usable in France tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Most likely Vaporware trying to pull in venture capital...

Do you really want your single player games to suffer from lag or be totally unplayable if your connection goes down?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.mova.com/

They claim a 5 mb connection within 1000 miles of a server will do
    check out the video she looks real to me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

TonyM. wrote: »
    http://www.mova.com/

They claim a 5 mb connection within 1000 miles of a server will do
    check out the video she looks real to me.

I have a 10meg connection at less than 3km from the local exchange, 1:1 contention and I can only get 3meg at the best of times and I'm lucky if I can play online games with the latency on the line.

Great idea and looks like a good service for anyone with a decent connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

TonyM. wrote: »

The psychophysics research that the article you link to blithely dismisses is the same sort of research that led to the consumer digital music and video age, you can't underestimate the role of the brain in what looks good and feels smooth.

Having said that, there's a fairly obvious barrier to the success of this thing: The multi-billion dollar game industry has a lot of hooks in the hardware industry, which has been upset enough over thin clients for mere office work. Lending support to server side rendering would not be in the interests of console and GPU manufacturers, even if it is considered "green computing".

The article is spot on though in pointing out the fact that video decompression uses heavy client side resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As far as Im concerned its purely theoretical atm.

Look at computing in the last 50 years. Thinking has always favored decentralisation. Mainframes and Terminals went the way of the typewriter to later be replaced with workstations and much more conservative servers. The race for stupidly fast, stupidly hot processor cores gave away to multithreading and multicore processing. 1 wheel drive gave way to 4 wheel drive. even your gaming controller runs on its own independent power source now. I could go on and find similarities like this for a while.

Unless you can create a hardware farm that is powerful enough in that it can supply more users at a lower economy than that same number of users can by supplying their own hardware, this is going to bust. And what happens when a mainframe goes down? Everybody gets ****ed. At least when an MMO crashes you can still go play solitaire or something. With onlive you wouldnt be so lucky.

Lots of barriers for this technology to overcome. I doubt we will see it become mainstream anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 rgdaxter

looks fairly good alright :)

Is this not just a way of preventing piracy presented as a plus for gamers?

Advertisement