Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options
  • 28-09-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

I'm going to do the Waterford half marathon Dec 2009 & the Connemara Full Apr 2010 - there, I've said it!!
    (Oh, and I'm also going to learn how to swim!!)

A friend of mine got me to do the Eireman sprint in August and I absolutely loved it. Since then I've done the Ashford Duathlon last week, and I did the Eireman X yesterday.

I've set myself a target of completing both the above races over the coming months. The furthest I've ever ran todate is little over 5 km's. I'm going to broadly follow the Hal Higdon novice half marathon schedule http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/halfnovice.pdf, beginning at week 2 on the schedule from this week.

I'm also going to try learn to swim over the winter in preparation for next years Tri season. Yesterday was my first competition swim and it was horrible!! Took a full 35mins to complete the 750m and coming in paddy last!!

Also, my wife has started the couch to 5 K program and I'm keeping her company on the runs, so I'll be building that into my half training program too.

Have never previously ran, swam, or cycled.

I used to play rugby until I was 20, did nothing for years, and have been playing 5-a-side soccer for the past year.

I'm 30, tiping the scales at 81kg, recently gave up the fags, and raring to go!!

Any help/advice/criticism that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated

So here goes:

Plan for Monday: REST - well it was a tough race yesterday ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Went out rowing last night, something that I've been at since approx March. Anyway, a group of us have made a commitment to enter the Celtic Challenge next year!!!
    Basically it's a 96 mile rowing race across the Irish sea from Arklow to Aberystwyth. Race is run with two crews so is typically an hour on / hour off format. Target would be approx 15 hours for the race.
    This is what Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_challenge_rowing_race

Very, very, very excited about this one

Ok, goals for the coming months:
    • Waterford half marathon - Dec '09
    • Connermarathon full - April '10
    • Celtic Challenge - May '10
    • Learn to swim - winter project
    Better refocus and put my immediate efforts into preparing for Waterford half marathon

Tuesday
    AM: 3 mile run before work

PM: Approx 3 km row in timber skiff, followed by
    1 hours 5-a-side soccer

Set out yesterday morning with my new Aldi HRM strapped on. Came back with an average HR of 78?? I'd been checking it periodically during the run and it was reading between 140-160. This really bothered me and ended up forgetting to check my time!! (approx 23mins?) So now I had an inaccurate Avg HR, and inaccurate time - but on the good side it was definitely 3 miles :rolleyes:.

Met up with some others down at boat and headed out for a really short, sharp & full-on row out to sea. Pretty relentless tempo going out, then alternated 20 hard / 10 easy / 30 hard / 10 easy the whole way back in - great stuff.

Met up with some of the lads then for an hours soccer. Sweated buckets, scored a couple of cracking goals, and our team won - happy days.

Following my dissapointment of the morning run I decided to give my HRM another try during soccer. I waited until maybe 3/4 minutes after starting before I reset the memory. Checked HR first - 152, checked periodically during the hour was going between 150 - 170, checked average when I was finished - 94?? Definitely something wrong with the computer on this one, will pop into Aldi on way home today.

I reckon that soccer last night will count for Hal Higdons suggested '2m run or cross' for today, and so had a lie in this morning

Plan for tonight is to head out with Mrs Dustybin for C25K session, will be 90 second jog / 2 minute walks for about 25 mins

Did nothing in morning
    Joined Mrs Dustybin for 30mins of C25K after work (90 sec jog / 2 min walk)

Went back to Aldi on way home from work, and of course I'd no receipt for the HRM!! Store manager was ok though and allowed me to swap over for a new one.
    Quick check, and this one actually works :)

Went for a run this morning

Distance: 3.1 mile
    Avg HR: 141
    Time: 25:48
    Pace: 8.3 min mile
    Terrain: Flat road

Enjoyed ths mornings run as I both took it easy and also had my HRM working!!
    I have shamelessly copied the stats layout of other logers (namely Eliwallach - thanks), but it gives a good summary of what was done

Slogger Jogger posted last night about the Powerscourt Ridge race in November, looks good and I want to do it. Only problems are the terrain and the distance. Gonna have to start throwing a few hills in to my training and also run ahead on the training plan distance wise.

This running / triathlon stuff really is addictive.

Going out for a row tonight, is last weeknight row of the year as its just getting too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with the log and you've just given me my next target after Dublin (Waterford half), thanks :D

• Advertisement

Thursday 1st October

Evening: Went down for a row last night, and got a bonus run in as well!!
    reckon that the run was about 2.5 - 3 miles
    then had a 20/25 minute row

getting way too dark now to be rowing in the evenings anymore, that's the last evening session until the spring

Looking forward now to the 4 miler in Ferns on Sunday

Sunday 4th October

Race: Mick Murphy Memorial Ferns Co Wexford
    Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 27.06
    Pace: 6.46 min / mile
    Terrain: Flat Road

Guess who turned up for a run in his triathlon cycle pants??
    Seriously though, I really like running in these, I get no chaffing whatsoever. Might have a look at getting some of those free flowing running shorts, but not yet!!

This was my longest continuous run to date - and I felt it.

I was a little bit dissapointed with my time to be honest. I had run fairly well in the Ashford Duathlon first leg and was sure that I would be able to match it here. Did feel tired however going into the race, and not properly rested.

Set off at a fair auld clip, and paid for it from miles 2 - 4 (only the last 3/4's of the race :rolleyes:). Splits are:

Mile 1 - 6.18
    Mile 2 - 6.52
    Mile 3 - 7.02
    Mile 4 - 6.54

I got chased down in the final stretch and was not able to hold them off - nothing left to give. Really struggled on my 3rd mile, and more than once thought that I was going to have to stop for a walk rest. But low and behold managed to keep going :)

Felt like my legs had nothing in them for long stretches of the race - am going to have to pick up the distance in training.

Looking back though, I guess it was a reasonably good time all things considered, and I pretty much got over the dissapointment after crossing the line, was very put out on that third mile though (the auld demons playing chase in my head).

HH has me down for a couple of 3.5 mile runs this week, with a 5 miler this weekend. Reckon that I'm gonna increase those, and chance a 4.5 miler tomorrow? Reason being that HH only has one 10 miler the week before the half, would like to run 13 miles at least once before the race just to know that I can.

Like any other newbie, couple of months in and already I know more than Hal Higdon :rolleyes:

Anyway, starting into week 3 of C25K tonight with Mrs DB

Tuesday 6th October

Training: Route HF(R)
    Distance: 4.5 miles
    Time: 41.42
    Pace: 9.16 min / mile
    Terrain: Hilly Road
    Conditions: Dark & Wet

Went for a 6.30am run this morning. Dark, wet, cold - this was tough to get into. Wasn't really feeling it for most of the way around. This is a hilly run, and it was my first time doing it. Had to take a couple of walking breaks, but more because of my mindset than anything else. Will tackle this again Thursday morning and must do much better.

Must also get some proper gear for wet & cold. Went out with a base layer that I got in TK-Max last year - it's grand and does the job. Problem was the rain coat I had on me, would have been better with a bin bag really - dank and not very breathable.

Roads are narrow country roads with bad surface and full of slopes & potholes - good for keeping the brain active I suppose!! :confused:

No soccer tonight, going for run tomorrow morning instead.

Wednesday 7th Oct
    7.30 pm
    2.6 miles
    21.03 mins
    8.10 pace
    Flatish road
    Cold & Dark

Went out for a short run last night
    Took off up a 0.7 mile slow incline and finished first mile in 7.45 pace
    Wasn't really aiming for anything pace wise but after that start was surprised to finish with a 8.10 average - seems to be my thing to slow down?

Anyway, pretty nice and uneventful run

Scared the sh*t out of the neighbors dogs when I came around the corner with my high vis jacket, Aldi armbands with red LEDs, and my miners light on my forehead!! :Drevenge:D - I made quite a sight

Little feckers shouldn't be out on the road anyway

Thursday 8th Oct
    7.00 am
    4.5 miles
    37.58 mins
    8.26 pace
    Hilly road
    Fresh!!

Nice run this morning in the crisp October air - felt real good

Same route as I did Tuesday, only this time was more ready for it
    No walking breaks, none of this 'what am I doing here?' going on in my head - just went out and ran
    No rain also helped

ran the entire route and took 50 secs a mile off Tuesdays pace
    After running up hills for so long I found myself taking those same little small steps when going downhill again. Once I realised it lengthened out the stride again, but had to make a concious effort to remember to do this each time??

No sign of the neighbours dogs today - Ha! ;)

C25K tonight

Also made decision that I'm not going to do the Powerscourt ridge challenge - have signed up for the Crookstown 10k run that day instead. Would seem to be better prep for Waterford half (is also going to be easier:D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

That Crookstown 10k sounds interesting (sounds flat which is better). Where exactly is it?

Hi Showry
    Crookstown is very close to Castledermot
    I'm gonna make a big jump and assume that you're from Waterford (who else would support Waterford United??:))
    Basically travel up to Carlow and then continue out the Dublin road from Carlow go through Castledermot, then you reach Crookstown. It's about 20 mins outside of Carlow

The run is taking place on a new sectin of motorway which isn't open yet
    You can read more about it here http://www.activeglobal.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=79248

Hope to see you there

cheers DustyBin,

I'm in Dungarvan so it'd be a bit of a trek but I just missed out on a sub-40 10k earlier in the year so I'm very tempted to have another hop off it.

go on showry
    sure did you not read the blurb on the website: 'Fast, flat new motorway course, a great opportunity to beat your 10k personal best'

I've never ran 10k before
    Have a training run this Sunday will be about 10.5 k - longest distance yet for me!! have a sore ankle from yesterday, but all should be ok for Sunday

McMillan has me at a 43.02 based on my 4 mile result, so that's what I'm looking to beat.

Sunday 11th October
    8.00 am
    6.25 miles
    53.52 mins
    8.37 pace
    long slow hills, nothing drastic - just went on forever!!
    Drizzly, wet, life sapping morning - but well worth it

Headed out on my longest run ever yesterday. Finished the entire thing with no walking and no stopping!! :D:D

Had a big family meal in our place on Saturday night. One of those fantastic all you can eat things!! got supper out of it last night again. Anyway, starters, 1 & 1/2 main course, 3 desserts, beer & wine. On way to bed remebered reading on the main forum about eating your porridge the night before, so sat down and quite literally stuffed the porridge into my already overfull belly.
    Next morning banana water & hit the road. Not sure in the end was it the porridge or the cheesecake, but something kept me going!!
    Sunday then was another big feeding frenzy with family again - I am a pig.

Picked up a bit of a 'twinge' in my leg on Thursday but everything held up yesterday. Delighted now to have got the distance covered, will have to do again, only will try for a faster pace next time.

Weighed myself going to bed last night and proud* to say that I put on 1/2 stone in weight over the weekend food fest - just gonna have to do a bit more this week I guess??

*ok, so maybe not proud

that's some eating DB, maybe you have a future in cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

That half a stone will be water and food in your body at the time. you ll get rid of it over the next few days and prob wont be up by more than half a pound.

to weigh yourself and compare, you need similar conditions. same time, same day of week, with same meal and amount of fluid the night before to be really accurate. my weight can go from 11'12 (after weekend of eating) to 11'4 after long run the next day. most of it is water and emptying my bowels.

showry wrote: »
    that's some eating DB ...

Thanks for the compliment Showry, but as they say - someones gotta do it!!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    That half a stone will be water and food in your body at the time. you ll get rid of it over the next few days and prob wont be up by more than half a pound.

to weigh yourself and compare, you need similar conditions. same time, same day of week, with same meal and amount of fluid the night before to be really accurate. my weight can go from 11'12 (after weekend of eating) to 11'4 after long run the next day. most of it is water and emptying my bowels.

Thanks Kennyb
    Not really keeping an accurate track of my weight at the moment - but I suppose it's no harm to start
    So the idea would be once a week, same time each week, and keeping roughly the same routine during the week?
    I suppose mid week would be better than say Sunday's or Monday's ;)
    I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

DustyBin wrote: »
    Thanks Kennyb
    Not really keeping an accurate track of my weight at the moment - but I suppose it's no harm to start
    So the idea would be once a week, same time each week, and keeping roughly the same routine during the week?
    I suppose mid week would be better than say Sunday's or Monday's ;)
    I'll give it a go
    ah yeah there is no real need to , i just like to. just wanted to make sure you knew not to be worrying about that eating binge overly. plus you ll find when you do train hard and eat well that you can put on weight and not lose it - by building muscle, thats what was happening me a bit before i got injured. you ll see the better shape in the mirror tho. defo dont get overly caught up in weight.

• Advertisement

Monday 12th October

went to circuits with Mrs DB tonight - those sessions are mad!!
    1 & 1/2 hours of pure discovery. Talk about muscles I never knew existed!!
    Gonna be going back for some more of that sorta hell - feels great!
    Trust me, this stuff is not just for women ;);)

Tuesday 13th Oct

Did 2 miles of C25K week 4
    Ran 1.6 miles to 5 a side soccer, played an hours soccer and then ran 1.6 miles home

1.6 miles out was covered in 12.28 giving pace of 7.36
    I was fairly plodding along on the way home until I got spooked by an empty car on a small lane in the pitch black of the night - result was that I got home in 11.49 or a pace of 7.23

Flat out sprinting towards the end, and didn't bother doing a warm down jog, am paying for this today - live and learn

Thursday 15th October

6.25 miles, 53:30 time, 8:34 mile pace
    6.45am start, nice running from dark into dawn (& dry)

Same route as I took on Sunday - check out the massive 22 second improvement!!
    It's been a bit of an unstructured week training wise, and I now realise that it's been due to a far too enthusiastic approach to circuits on Monday night. The body has been in ribbons since. I'm walking like John Wayne because of the pain in my legs, and I'm hunched over slightly like some cousin of yer man in Notredam due to the pains in my abs.
    Anyway, is beginning to pass now, but did not really enjoy this run too much.
    Gonna start looking at some new things to be doing like tempo runs etc
    Also going to take out the road bike again - has not seen any action since the Ashford Duathlon (I think was the 20th September)
    Plan is to keep the circuits up for one night a week, but will need to take it a bit easier in future.

Gonna do another 2 - 2.5 miles of C25K week 4 tonight

Friday 16th Oct
    4 mile tempo(ish) run
    mile 1 - 8:49
    mile 2 - 6:26
    mile 3 - 8:34
    mile 4 - 7:43

went out just to run 3 easy miles, decided to turn it into my first attempt at a tempo run
    i felt like i went out too hard in mile 2, and mile 4 really suffered for it
    anyway, it ain't gonna be easy from the start i guess

on the plus side was very snug in my new aldi gear

Got my new shoes on

After gait analysis at weekend I'm now the proud owner of a brand new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 5's - nice runner, would never have gone in and picked out a pair of Mizunos though, just didn't feature on my novice radar??
    Apparantly I'm an overpronater - ao that should be that sorted then

Was away for a couple of days and so the first chance I got to try them out was Monday morning running along a footpath on an English dual carriageway
    Did 30 minutes at an ok pace - reckon probably covered about 3.5 miles

Have had a hectic couple of days which has meant that the training has suffered - time to pick it back up

Also my new love of circuits has had to move from Moday to Wednesday for this week

tuesday 20th October

1 hour of 5 a side soccer tonight
    our neighbours didn't turn up so we pulled back curtain and played across two pitches - lots of running
    we lost at the end tonight after leading until the last 5/10 mins
    was late leaving the house so got a lift down and ran home after
    2 1/2 km's in 12:22

wednesday 21st oct

went for run this morning in rain
    slow slow slow 5.7 mile run
    pace was all over the place and actually walked a small part of it twice!!
    Have ran further than this before much faster - just felt so sluggish
    average pace was 9.00 minute mile
    one to put behind me and get on with it
    training has been quite erratic of late
    going to circuits tonight - bring on the pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

DustyBin wrote: »
    wednesday 21st oct

went for run this morning in rain
    slow slow slow 5.7 mile run
    pace was all over the place and actually walked a small part of it twice!!
    Have ran further than this before much faster - just felt so sluggish
    average pace was 9.00 minute mile
    one to put behind me and get on with it
    training has been quite erratic of late
    going to circuits tonight - bring on the pain!

Dont worry too much about how you feel on the odd run.It is the days that you dont feel your running is going well are so important. If you can get through these days then you sail through the days you feel good. While the run might not have been good view it as a mental workout, the fact you got through it will show benefits for races in terms of your mental toughness. The key is consistency try to get into a routine and you will notice the improvement both in performance and motivation.

thanks for the words of encouragement ecoli
    looks like you've been having a far tougher time of it lately
    i hope that you are feeling better very soon, and I'm sure that you'll get a good result from the bloodtests
    yeah i felt like crap this morning but thankfully just got back from a really good circuits session - doesn't hurt near as much as last week but still put in a full effort was just a little bit more controlled
    onwards and upwards for us both then hey?

• Advertisement

wednesday 21st oct - pm

really good circuits session tonight
    was much more controlled than last time and got a lot out of it and i think that i've managed not to cripple myself for a few days like the last time!
    Paired up with this fella whose been at it a while and basically just followed what he was doing
    asked his permission first of course! But he was really good for showing me what he was doing
    circuits seems to be really good for the core as well as legs and upper body
    will want to keep this up but will see how to combine it with soccer and a half marathon training plan?? Also need to get back to rowing and swimming at some point - ok so gonna have to sort out what i'm doing

Advertisement