Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

great stuff dusty well deserved after all the training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great reading Dusty! Cork will be no bother to you.

Well done, your confidence must be sky high :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Dusty and a good race report to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great stuff Dusty, a good confidence boost for Cork !

like the "aldi socks and lunarglides bit", I wear the aldi socks racing too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks lads
    Onwards and upwards as they say - 3:15 or bust in Cork it is so :)

For some reason I thought that I would be able to kick on from the pacer group from a few miles out, but no way was that gonna happen yesterday - found it really tough

• Advertisement

Monday 10th May - pm

Run - hills
    2:53:26 = 5:52/k
    128 avg hr

P&D asked for 27k the day after the race this weekend, so off I went. The mistake I made was that I got it into my head that I wanted to run through a nearby forest, except I forgot just how hilly the run was. About 8.5k to get to the forest, maybe 12.5k rambling up and down over the hills, then the 8.5k back home again. This is about the hilliest run I could have picked (unintentional) with a couple of short sharp hills and one long 3k drag on the way out, the forest itself covers a bigass hill which is crossed twice, so two climbs and two falls, and then a couple of sharp hills coming back home again. Completely ran out of gas and had to take a couple of walking breaks on some of the hills in the last 12k.
    Legs really wrecked now, gonna take a day off tomorrow I reckon, P&D ask for rest or cross train.
    I've only really very loosely followed the P&D plan todate, but reckon it's probably a good idea to get fairly rigid with it over the final furlong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

DustyBin wrote: »
    Ronanmac, the master of wind dodging is tucked in nice and tight on the leeside of the group, so I try and join him as best I can and get some shelter from a wind that seemed to be blowing in our face no matter which way we turned.

Hey, when you live where I live, you become a master at trying to avoid the wind! Nice meeting you in Kildare and congrats again on some fantastic running. I would say that you definitely have more time to knock off that half marathon PB and 3:15 is definitely achievable in Cork. I was right behind you when you hit that young lad with the cup of water, very funny!

Wednesday 12th May - am

Brick - Run & Swim

Run - forest trails & road
    56:27 = 5:28/k
    137 avg hr

Swim 600m
    (100 breast, 500 f/c)

Set off early this morning to get my run in before the pool opened
    There are some really nice woods beside the leisure centre. Off I set with no plan other than to explore some new tracks that I hadn't been on before and clock up 10/11k on the way. Took some turns down dead ends, so there was a fair bit of doubling back on myself, but didn't care as the sun was splitting the trees and no other noise except the river and the birds - lovely.
    Took in most of the Eireman X run route as well, though only one small river crossing and I used the footbridge otherwise. Did remind me though what great craic that event was last sept, and put a longing on me to tackle it again this year.
    Did about 6k in the woods, then out to run along the coast road admiring a really tempting looking sea, but no wetsuit, on my own, and lets not forget being a crap swimmer put a cap on the urge to go for a dip fairly quickly.
    Finished out the session with 6 x 100m strides and a few stretches.

Into the pool and set off on a 100m brest stroke warmup. Plan then was to tackle week two workout of the Ruth Kazez Zero to 1500m plan. Set of and did the 200m, as I was gasping for breath (ok more than 12 - a lot more:rolleyes:) I hear my name and a friend recently returned from a foreign marathon is in the pool. Get talking to her, she's a great swimmer and gives me a few tips, about 5 mins or more shooting the breeze anyway. A this stage I'm running out of both time and inclination to finish the set so force myself into 3 x 100m and hit the showers - next time.

Thursday 13th May

I entered the Kilcock triathlon on Thursday, opted for the 400m swim and hoping I won't come last in the swim this time :rolleyes:

Thursday evening I headed off to meet up with Racing 795. They're a combined mountain biking and triathlon club. Thursday night was a 5k TT, ran it in 20:29. It was the first run in their summer league, and they'll be using a handicap system, so not sure how much some of the others were holding back or not. The run was 12.5 laps on a 400m grass track.

Ran about 2.5k warm up, 5k TT & did about 10.5k on the track after to bring the run up to about 13k. I'll put up the proper figures when I've got the garmin.
    P&D wanted 16k with 4 x 1,200m intervals @ 5k pace, so this was close enough I reckon.

Friday 14th May - am

Planned for an 18k run this morning. Ankle a little tender when I was getting dressed, but headed off down the road anyway. Nothing serious, but decided not to risk it and turned back before I'd even gone 1k. If this was 2 months ago I probably would have kept going, but is getting a little close to the marathon now, and I thought to myself 'what would P&D do':rolleyes: Should hopefully be ok with a little rest, just appears to be a little swollen, I threatened to go over on it a coiuple of times on Mondays run going across some broken rock and it's probably just catching up with me now. I've a short recovery run tomorrow, followed by a 20mile lsr on Sunday and then I'm into taper. Don't mind if I have to miss the recovery run, but want to get that last 20 miler done.

So with the pool not open until 9.00, it was either into work early or get on the bike.

I had only sorted out the cadence sensor on the bike yesterday evening, so went across hills and tried to keep cadence at 90 (cos I read somewhere that this is good??) I never realised before just how fast your legs are moving at 90 rpm, and found this very tough. So easy gears and spin, spin, spin up the hills. I plan to keep this up on the bike to get my legs used to working at this speed. Coming down hills and spinning the big gear at 90 was great craic :D
    Total of 22k

Saturday 15th May

Cycle
    53k cycle with a member of the tri club.
    Was great to have company on the cycle, kept me honest and helped the time fly. Both of us were working to keep the cadence between 90 - 100, easier today on the main road rather than yesterday on the hills.
    Ankle still a bit dodgy so decided yesterday to do this cycle rather than the recovery run in the program. Ankle still at me so have decided to ditch tomorrows 20 mile lsr as well - my last run before taper so disappointed about not doing it.
    I've been lashing on the Diclac and wearing a compression bandage all day, will do the same tomorrow and into physio on Monday.
    Being ultra cautious and don't think that the ankle is any kind of a longer term worry, but not going to run on it all the same.
    Will go for another cycle tomorrow morning and then a swim on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sorry to hear the ankles at you, but you are probably making the right decision by not running on it (especially the 20 miler). Hopefully it clears up for you in a day or two. Enjoy the taper.

Monday 17th May - am

Cycle - hills

Same route as Friday only went longer. Focus on cadence is getting easier at any rate. Pulled a draft from a coach bus till halfway up a hill, was travelling at 43k/h uphill before the driver dropped a gear and left me coughing diesel fumes behind him. Turned out he was collecting school kids along the way so caught him again later and had a right race on the downhills. The hills kill me but I'm reasoning they'll build better muscles than the flat, and also the views are amazing in parts.

Didn't get to cycle yesterday so will swim tonight.

Went to see the physio today, turns out it's an overuse injury, he hammered the be-jaysus out of my leg and reckons not to run till Friday, bike and swim are ok. He gently reminded me that I had got a foam roller off him before and that maybe I should start using it. The knots he found along the outside of my leg were unreal, the pain blinding!! Anyway so, lots of foam rollering for me I guess.

I had a tough start to last week, with the Half marathon Sunday & a 30k run on Monday, but it was inline (if not exactly) with what the P&D programme asked for. Physio reckons that this was definitely the trigger.

Going to have to practice a tube change and my swim to bike transition this week.

Today is the first day of my marathon taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Went to see the physio today, turns out it's an overuse injury,

Did he say what exactly? all my injuries have been overuse ones
    he hammered the be-jaysus out of my leg

i know that feeling
    I had a tough start to last week, with the Half marathon Sunday & a 30k run on Monday, but it was inline (if not exactly) with what the P&D programme asked for. Physio reckons that this was deinitely the trigger.

exact same for me after dublin half last year, did 15 miles 2 days later and ended up with peroneal tendon injury - no marathon.

hopefully you ll be okay tho. be careful with the swimming and cycling tho that it doesnt aggravate it in anyway so that you can make the marathon. i know when i ve cycled with a couple of injuries the physio said id be grand with i aggrevated them.

fingers crossed for ya dude

The ankle felt grand this morning, but it was all caused from an inflamed tendon apparently - I don't know if this answers your question or not but I wouldn't be big up on human anatomy.

The thought of not making the marathon in Cork never really entered my mind until reading your post - thanks kennyb :p

Ah I reckon it should be grand, I've lots and lots of miles done and the cycling really needs some work anyway. I'm delighted now that I entered the Kilcock tri as it's giving me a focus to take my mind off not running.

I forgot to ask the physio, but sure if the tendon is inflamed I reckon I should keep lashing on the diclac - can do no harm anyway surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Dusty, just catching up and read your report. Well done man, thats brilliant stuff. Take it handy and good luck with the remaining weeks to Cork.

Monday 17th May - am

Pulled a draft from a coach bus till halfway up a hill, was travelling at 43k/h uphill before the driver dropped a gear and left me coughing diesel fumes behind him.

If Mloc, Griffin or Izozard read the above you are in trouble. They are staunch anti-drafters :D

catweazle wrote: »
    If Mloc, Griffin or Izozard read the above you are in trouble. They are staunch anti-drafters :D

Ha, I remembered this as I was trying to get into the slip stream of a VW Golf this morning coming off a roundabout - didn't work but I had a right laugh. Then I thought about how cracked I must look in the drivers rear view mirror with my tongue out and face grimacing giving it everything on his bumper :rolleyes:

Tuesday 18th May - am

Cycle
    RedB must think I'm stalking him, 1k behind him yesterday morning, then we both update and still 1k behind him today!!
    Nice spin out the main road and back. Reckon today that the saddle is too low for me - will fix up tonight. Never noticed it before but really just wanted to be sitting maybe 2 inches higher today.
    Practised taking my feet out at end of cycle in prep for T2 - went grand.
    Fitted the elastic laces to the Mizuno's last night in prep for Saturday.
    Got to practice T1 as well, but maybe won't try the full on leap of faith for this one ;)

Are you going to use the cycling shoes for the sprint. I am lazy.....for sprints I use the cage pedals so the transitions are pretty quick, particulary the 2nd one. For the longer cycles in the Olympic I will put on the clips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Tuesday 18th May - am

Cycle
    RedB must think I'm stalking him, 1k behind him yesterday morning, then we both update and still 1k behind him today!!
    Nice spin out the main road and back. Reckon today that the saddle is too low for me - will fix up tonight. Never noticed it before but really just wanted to be sitting maybe 2 inches higher today.
    Practised taking my feet out at end of cycle in prep for T2 - went grand.
    Fitted the elastic laces to the Mizuno's last night in prep for Saturday.
    Got to practice T1 as well, but maybe won't try the full on leap of faith for this one ;)

:D I'll be watching my rear view mirror from now on. Did another 41k myself this morning and my ar$e is killing me now as I'm so out of practice. Discomfort kicked in about 25k out and I was aching to get home. Funny walk to the breakfast table wasn't that funny trying to go upstairs for a shower :eek:. The body doesn't know whats hit it with this new fangled cycling lark :rolleyes: but I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm hoping the Tri club are organising a bike fit session soon as my bike is a 'loaner' and I'm probably well out of shape on it. I must practice those Transition tips at some stage but for now its just getting used to cycling thats the priority. In a week or two I'll have to throw in a few Brick sessions as my Tri is the end of June.
    Good luck on Saturday. My hard earned advice for Transitions is get there early, get set up without any pressure, have the bike left in the right gear and have its location absolutely clear in your head relative to your entry to the area in both directions. There's nothing worse than wandering around Transition looking for your bike or looking for your runners in the heat of battle :(.

• Advertisement

Are you going to use the cycling shoes for the sprint. I am lazy.....for sprints I use the cage pedals so the transitions are pretty quick, particulary the 2nd one. For the longer cycles in the Olympic I will put on the clips

Nah, I don't own a second set of pedals, so will just go with the cycling shoes and clips, but thanks for the advice.
    The thought did enter my mind though this morning that I could just use the shoes as pedals - leave the shoes clipped onto the pedals and elastic bands and all that- and then just peg it down the road without actually bothering to put my feet into the shoes. Sounds daft but the course is supposed to be dead flat - I might try it out during the week and see if I notice myself losing any power.

In all likelihood though, cycling shoes on feet and clipped in

RedB wrote: »
    :D I'll be watching my rear view mirror from now on. Did another 41k myself this morning and my ar$e is killing me now as I'm so out of practice. Discomfort kicked in about 25k out and I was aching to get home. Funny walk to the breakfast table wasn't that funny trying to go upstairs for a shower :eek:. The body doesn't know whats hit it with this new fangled cycling lark :rolleyes:

Yeah, if my ass could talk it would probably be screaming 'WTF??' after the shock introduction of cycling only to my recent training.

Thanks for the advice there as well, really looking forward to getting into it now.

I was thinking about practicing T1, and in my head it involved me, my wetsuit, Mrs DB and the garden house, swiftly followed by my barefoot hobbling across the tarmac at home, undignified wrestle with wetsuit, and a faltering escape up the road on my bike with velcro straps getting got in the chain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Baby oil ftw... before you put your wetsuit on coat your legs from ankle to knee in baby oil, makes it much easier to get the suit off. Cover your arms from the elbow down also, and if you can 'scoop' some water around the neck of your wetsuit as you get out it will help too. Good videos on youtube also with the best way to get a suit off, for saturday there is a good run into transition you have time to get it down to your waist before getting to your bike.

Use your cycling shoes, wear them properly and clip in. Any time you think you are gaining in transition will be lost on the road otherwise.

Some really good advice there mloc - thanks

I was asking Mrs DB if she had any talc yesterday, turns out she's got a lovely perfumed powder that she got in the bodyshop years ago - it's probably pink and all!!
    Shopping for talc and babyoil this evening so

I read somewhere to put vaseline/bodyglide on the inside back of cycling & running shoes for schlupping on and off that bit quicker

What does ftw mean?

for the win

Yes, I always feel a little odd in the supermarket buying talc and baby oil...

Does baby oil not damage the suit Mloc

I am looking for something this time as I want to wear the garmin 310 and it will be tough to get the wet suit over this.

Plenty of Baby Oil in the house....I like to buff up in front of the mirror and tell myself how great a triathlete I am the morning of a race :D

But I was going to make my monthly trip into town to buy some bodyglide, but if the babyoil is fine thats great

Does baby oil not damage the suit Mloc

I am looking for something this time as I want to wear the garmin 310 and it will be tough to get the wet suit over this.

Plenty of Baby Oil in the house....I like to buff up in front of the mirror and tell myself how great a triathlete I am the morning of a race :D

But I was going to make my monthly trip into town to buy some bodyglide, but if the babyoil is fine thats great

I read on here last year it was fine, I think Tunney mentioned he used it for years and his suit was okay. I used it last year and my suit didn't look damaged. Vaseline is bad from what I recall.

just did a quick google on it there and the consensus seems to agree with mloc - bodyglide & babyoil good, vaseline bad

classic - does it help? :P

Will the garmin be ok in the water?

I wasn't going to bother wearing it myself, and don't fancy leaving it lying in transition while I'm gone swimming

My one will be fine anyways, the 310 is advertised as the triathlete water watch. From the bit of research I did before I bought it, that other big one is it the 305 is ok as well. And I do remember people saying they have used their 405 in the water too and it was fine but dont blame me if it doesnt.

But deffo about 6 months ago i saw some threads on garmins on here and using them in the water, you shpould get some answers there.

The mirror trick doesnt work unfortunetly :(

• Advertisement

It's the 305 that I have, don't think I chance it, sure I won't need it anyway;

Swim - just finish it (not last, please not last!!)
    Bike - got a computer on the bike
    Run - it's only 5k, pin back the ears and leg it

Advertisement