Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am sure the 305 is fine but it wont be too much hassle to stick it on after the swim, I would guess the pool stewards wont let you wear the laptop anyways in the lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Tuesday 18th May - pm

Swim
    1,900m (1,400 f/c, 300 breast, 200 drills)

Don't want to speak too soon, but reckon that I might have found the swimming sweet spot tonight

1 x 100 breast
    1 x 200 f/c
    4 x 100 f/c
    4 x 50 f/c
    4 x 25 f/c
    1 x 100 breast
    1 x 200 single arm drill with kickboard
    1 x 500 f/c :eek::eek:
    1 x 100 breast

100m warm up and then into week 2 of the Ruth Kazez swim program. rest periods are measured by the number of breaths taken at the end of a swim, keeps things ticking over nice and fast, allthough I did take a little longer each time than what she wants :rolleyes:
    Really pushed the last 4 x 25 giving it everything. 100 breast to loosen things back out and into single arm stroke drill, alternating arms every 50m.
    For some reason then I got it into my head that I wanted to try get to 400mm. Arms were tired and my stroke started out a bit sloppy, but things actually got better as I continued. felt really good and decided to push it on to 500m :cool: Over the moon, previous longest was 200m

Feeling a little more confident about the swim part of the weekend now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Good stuff. Pushing the distances further should come fairly easily now. Its that initial few hundred that the hardest to get to.

Nice one dusty thats a great boost before Kilcock. Start out at the back and be prepared for a few bumps and elbows in the swim this weekend but it will smooth out after 50 metres or so.

Is it down stream.....does a canal have currents??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great stuff Dusty. I was delighted for you reading that. Thats a milestone hit and should give you great confidence in adding a couple of hundred metres to that over the next few weeks, good for you man.

• Advertisement

thanks lads
    yeah really delighted with that, had set myself a target of 1k continuous back in December, don't see why I couldn't acheive that over the next week or so now. The way I felt yesterday I could have kept going past the 500m only the kids swim club had come in and I had to get out of the lane
    watching those kids for a while after was a real eye opener though! The speed that they were flying up and down the lanes, tumble turns, zipping past one another in the lanes - unreal. I've asked before and unfortunately no similar classes for adults :(
    all kids should be given the opportunity to do what these kids were doing though - I was in total awe and the instructors were great driving them on doing IM sessions and the lot (near seamless butterfly strokes from 11 year olds!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

well done on the swim milestone Dusty! BTW baby oil ok. On the wrists, ankles and back of the neck if prone to chaffing there.

Best of luck at the weekend

Thursday 20th May - am

Cycle
    Out the main road this morning, just took it nice and easy not killing myself. No real wind, but fairly rolling road.
    Had RedB in mind, so actually cycled past the house to add on the extra k to bring me past him for a little while in the SCR challlenge :D

Adjusted the bike last night, let the saddle up, moved it back a little, and also tilted the front of it down a little. Happy with the height, but might straighten out the tilt a bit.
    Also took a notion to try the magic leap of faith last night - and it worked :eek: 5 times in a row :cool: My version of it is probably not as aggresive as MCOS and others but it will still save me time coming out of T1, so reckon I'll give it a shot at the weekend.

At the end of this mornings spin I practised taking my feet out of shoes whilst still on the bike - grand no bother. Then practiced the dismount, swung my right leg off, balancing my left on top the left shoe and just as I was launching myself off the bike the left shoe popped off and bang down on the tarmac at speed in my socks. Managed to stay on my feet but the soles of my feet took a fair battering. It hurt but I had my socks on, if this happens at the weekend I'll be in my bare feet. Needs more practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

DustyBin wrote: »
    Had RedB in mind, so actually cycled past the house to add on the extra k to bring me past him for a little while in the SCR challlenge :D

:D Well done! Your swimming is also going great so I expect to see you pushing up that table as well :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

As per what TNO said on his log, you're mad as a brush to be doing a sprint triathlon then a 16m next day about a week after getting diagnosed with an over use injury. you ve done load, ease off a bit and make sure you make the marathon

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    :D Well done! Your swimming is also going great so I expect to see you pushing up that table as well :cool:.

Come on now, I'd need to get me some scuba gear to make any big impressions on the swim table

kennyb3 wrote: »
    As per what TNO said on his log, you're mad as a brush to be doing a sprint triathlon then a 16m next day about a week after getting diagnosed with an over use injury. you ve done load, ease off a bit and make sure you make the marathon

Cheers kennyb, I'm just eager to regain any run fitness that I may have lost, plan called for a 20 miler last Sunday which I didn't run because of the leg, and this sunday there's a 16 miler, not trying to make up on last weeks run, just picking back up on the plan again.
    I reckon I'll have a good look at the next 2 weeks over this weekend, and then maybe stick up some kind of a plan on the main forum and look for feedback on it.
    Thanks for the input

How far away do you reckon you are from running regularly again?

Edit: will probably reign in the 16 miler this Sunday - I'll see how it goes on Fri & Sat, also will probably do less than 10km Fri

prob 2 weeks but could be more, to be honest i think i ll just give a month a miss and cycle away as hoping to get involved in the swords cycling league (about 5 races gone so far) mid way through the summer.

i tried a km running the other day and it was stiff again so i ll just not even bother trying again for couple of weeks, as im probably just aggrevating it a little ever two weeks when i try.

I was pretty pee'd off at the start but it could be a blessing in disguise really, i ve got my diet right, been doing core work and weights and i feel in great shape and prob lightest i ve been in long while.:)

Thanks for asking. glad your reeling it back a bit its not worth risking making the injury worse just to follow a program.

Thursday 20th May - pm

Swim 1500m (1400 f/c, 100 breast)

After hitting 500m the other night I reckoned I'd skip the rest of week 2 and go straight to week 3. 100m breast wu, into the programme and with 1 x 100 and 4 x 50 left I got talking to an old friend who it turns out I had been sharing the lane with all along and never recognised each other. I reckon I've now convinced him to give the tri's a shot, probably starting with an aquathlon :D Decided to leave the programme at that and finished off with a 1 x 500m.
    Good swim, had a terrible headache and was more tired than Tuesdays swim

1 x 100 breast
    1 x 400 f/c
    1 x 200 f/c
    3 x 100 f/c
    1 x 500 f/c

kennyb3 wrote: »
    prob 2 weeks but could be more, to be honest i think i ll just give a month a miss and cycle away as hoping to get involved in the swords cycling league (about 5 races gone so far) mid way through the summer.

i tried a km running the other day and it was stiff again so i ll just not even bother trying again for couple of weeks, as im probably just aggrevating it a little ever two weeks when i try.

I was pretty pee'd off at the start but it could be a blessing in disguise really, i ve got my diet right, been doing core work and weights and i feel in great shape and prob lightest i ve been in long while.:)

Thanks for asking. glad your reeling it back a bit its not worth risking making the injury worse just to follow a program.

Good to see all the positives you're getting out of it kennyb, fair play and keep up the good training

Friday 21st May - am

Run
    @ 5:10 /k pace

Short trot out this morning to check out the ankle / calf. All seems good and am rearing to go this weekend.

Following good advce from tisnotover, gringo & kennyb I cut this back from the previously intended 10k.

The last run of any distance that I've done was 30k hills on 10th May - 11 days ago. Very keen to get one last run of 25k+ in over the next few days, but am conscious that I'm also just coming back from a week of no running. I don't plan on doing anything stupid, but am running out of time to get that run done. Saturday's run is only 5k, so if all feels good I might try something gentle on the Sunday, if not then I'll keep it short and go for distance maybe on Monday / Tuesday. After that It'll probably be just gentle miles and some short speed work through to the marathon.

All the best for Kilcock Dusty. The swim should be no problem for you now.
    Fair play being able do the marathon training and still get time to do the other disicplines for the tri races. Don't go mad tomorrow and inhibit your marathon plans, take it easy and enjoy the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yeah good luck, also to give you som idea on how much the wet suit etc.. will help taken from my log last year...

500m pool time - 16:00 :eek::o
    500m Kilcock - 12:55

Will keep an eye out for you tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Good luck tomorrow.

nomadic wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

All the best, DustyBin. Don't forget the sun lotion!

Kilcock Super Sprint Triathlon – race report
    Saturday 22nd May

This was my first ‘proper’ triathlon, having done some duathlons, an aquathlon, and an off road tri previously. Distances were 400m swim, 20k bike, & 5k run. Got to the race about 11:15 and was struck by how relaxed and open everything was. In to collect my ankle tag, race number etc, and back to the car to set up the bike. Transition was very tight, and trying to get bikes racked and set out the bits and bobs for the cycle & run was cramped.

I met mloc before the race. He was looking keen and all set to head off in the fast wave of the sprint race. He had a good swim and came out of the canal midpack in the fast wave. There was some talk after about a dodgy start to mloc’s wave, and whilst I didn’t see the start, I did catch up with them at about 250m meters, and there was a suspiciously large looking gap from the leading group back to the main bunch at that early stage.

Swim

I had been well warned about the canal and how awful it was going to be, but I was honestly not ready for what we had to face. It was like trying to swim through mushroom soup!!
    It was a deep water start so the 40 of us headed into the canal and just milled about waiting for the start. I made the mistake of starting near the back, but not at the very back. Off we went and head down for the front crawl – pitch black under water. I slapped a couple of bums in front of me, and my bum was slapped from behind in turn. Needed to get my head clear so decided to breast stroke until the starting mayhem was over. I breast stroke with my head under the water, and found myself freaking out with the black that awaited me each time so plan C was to flip over onto my back and just get my bearings whilst kicking along for a little.
    Very soon decided to throw a couple of arm strokes into it whilst on my back, to keep the momentum going. My main goal going into the swim was not to finish last and being on my back I could see who was behind me, I spotted 4 or 5 so happy days. At this stage I knew that swimming in a manky murky canal was not for me and was a million miles removed from swimming in a pool. I made the decision to just survive the swim and was happy to stay on my back for as long as I could. A couple of breast strokers passed me by but I could still see a few heads behind them so was happy to stay on my back. Up the ladder and out of the canal, I looked back and saw there were still two swimmers behind me so objective #1 had been achieved (3rd last).
    Now we had a 500m run to T1, part of which was across gravel and a road – at €48 it was disappointing to have to run across this in bare feet, a few rubber mats or even a bale of hay couldn’t have cost that much. Passed one guy on this run.

Bike
    I had set the bike up ready and waiting to give the leap of faith a shot – and it worked a treat :D. Got great momentum setting off down the road and passed several people still trying to get going before slipping my feet into the shoes. The bike course was really flat and very fast. I got on much better here than I expected with a time of 34:37. It was a two lap course and one or two people appear to have mistakenly jumped off after the first lap only.

Run
    The moment I jumped off the bike I could feel a dart of cramp across both calf muscles. I had meant to stretch them on the end of the bike but forgot about it. Elastic laces and no socks made a fair difference to T2, and I was off down the canal tow path at a fair clip. Got really bad cramp 200m into thte run and stopped for a very brief stretch and continued on taking it a bit slower until about 1k in when everything had freed up again.
    The first part of the run was along an uneven grass surface beside the canal, then we were corralled up a scutty little lane way and reduced to single file for a stretch, back onto the road then and into the sports grounds and across the pitch to head off and start the 2nd lap. 23:01 on the run was a little disappointing on the face of it but considering the course and the heat wasn’t too bad really.
    The finish line and the start of the 2nd lap were very badly marshalled and several people only did 1 lap of the run course.

Overall
    Despite totally losing it on the swim, I’m happy not to have finished the swim last (as per the previous two swims). Made up a lot of ground on the bike and the run to be provisionally placed 9th but the 2nd and 8th placed guys very obviously only did 1 lap each on the run, so I should end up getting 7th. It wasn’t the main event on the day, anyone who could swim went in the other race, but still a top 10 is a top 10 afterall :D

Mloc came over to me at the finish and I think we both shared the same views on the race; swim was a health hazard, run from swim to T1 was disappointing, bike course was great, run course was below par. I might just have him interested in doing the Tri 795 on the 1st of August ;)(plug, plug, plug)

One of the lads from the tri club very kindly loaned me his trisuit so I was in the club colours and all.

Sunday 23rd May - am

Run
    2:11:49 = 5:20/k pace
    133 avg hr

My last run of any length before the cork marathon, and I decided to take it really really easy going around. Got out early and was on the road before 8am so avoided the worst of the heat, but still was a scorcher. I gave my marathon outfit a full test run, including carrying all of my gels and all, nothing to report so all seems good. Took on approx 4 pints of water before and during the run.
    Some of the lads warned against doing a 16 miler the day after a tri, and I took everything that ye said on board. Normally if the book says 16 I end up doing 17/18, but kept it below 16 for this and ran well within myself (133 avg hr).
    I was going to redraft the final 2 weeks of the P&D plan and put it up to ask for input, but I've decided to leave it alone and just follow it as it is, completmented with a little swimming & cycling (but not much). I'm confident in the training that I've done, and for the week that I was not running I did loads of cycling so am not too worried about aerobic fitness. I've done the long miles and hopefully the endurance is there, but if not then it's too late to be worrying about it anyway. The club are doing a 1 mile TT this Thursday and that will be the only bit of 'extra curricular' running that I'll do outside of P&D's plan.
    I must post up a summary of my training soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on Saturdays tri Dusty - a great preformance!

Fair dues for getting such a good run in on Sunday. You will be in flying form for Cork :D

Well done Dusty that swim sounds horrid, i have been lucky i think and that all of the ones I have done outdoors there has been pretty good visibility.

Sometimes visibility can be a curse, I remember swimming in Egypt a few years back and a stingray sailed by just under me, was the quickest 100m I ever swam back to the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice going in the triathlon Dusty and well done on that run on sunday!

Might see you in Cork!

Hopfully get to meet up with you and a few other boardsies for a few scoops TNO, I'll leave it to ye local lads to organise which pub we're heading for!! No pressure now :D

Well done Dusty. Janey macks you were flying on the bike, that's a savage time.
    You have me determined never to enter a canal based tri after that swim report, black mushroom soup. I wouldn't even drink it never mind swim in it.

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done Dusty. Janey macks you were flying on the bike, that's a savage time.
    You have me determined never to enter a canal based tri after that swim report, black mushroom soup. I wouldn't even drink it never mind swim in it.

Cheers Macanri
    The canal was awful, with canal weeds catching wrists and ankles as you were swimming through them, put out your hand for a stroke and find it landing on top of a lilly pad - not nice
    The bike course was dead flat and very fast. I was surprised at my time on it but maybe the course was a bit short?

• Advertisement

Tuesday 25th May - am

Swim
    1,200m - ish?

First coached swimming session with the club this morning and it was fairly relentless swimming. The coach was great and I think that this will really see my swimming come on in leaps and bounds.
    Mixture of f/c, kick board no fins, single arm stroke, catchup, and pull buoy.

Advertisement