Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done DB,great 1st marathon......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

A class race report. Great result. Delighted for ya :). Well done. Savage run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Way to go Dusty, feckin excellent stuff. Congrats on getting sub 3:15. That was a great read - fair play to you going with your own feeling and leaving the pace group - probably made it tougher for you but you nailed it. Great result for a first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Well done Dusty.
    I could see 3:14 in your eyes outside City Hall that morning ;).
    Great first marathon and equally great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Dusty that was a fabulous read, fair play to you, you called a time and got it. You should be very proud of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A man of my own heart with a very detailed race report. Besides, any race report that features me, however briefly, is a good one. :) Nice meeting you, too!

That's a highly impressive first marathon effort. You have got a lot to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great read Dusty. Fantastic results for the work you put in, jesus starting out witha syb 4 goal and revising to 3:14. Delighted for you, well done chief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fantastic running, DustyBin, and a fantastic post! You really captured the toughness of it. Fair play to you, well done. By the way, it's not often one reads a race report that took as long to write as the race took to run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Great stuff Dusty....you're made of tough stuff, the triathlons will seem easy now. Strong debut with a lot of solo running there in very tough conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks for all the great comments, it means a lot to hear them from ye
    Still over the moon about the time
    Just about recovered now and was able to walk down the stairs normally this morning :D

I've the Dunmore East Tri on the 19th June and if I don't run between now and then I'll be happy enough
    Lots of swimming to do though

Went down to the pool last night aiming to do an easy 500m - 700m and then the jacuzzi
    Struggled to 200m but couldn't go any further, stopped and rested and went again but only managed 100m this time, so 300m total - not much but just too tired still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Stick a pull bouy or a kickboard between your legs and just work your arms. I was the same took me a long time to start kicking the legs again after the marathon

Thanks for the tip catweazle, I did notice my legs and hips sitting very low in the water alright
    Still though, I reckon that the way I was feeling last night it probably would have made little or no difference to the total distance - just too wrecked
    Going for an OW sea swim this Saturday, and maybe try squeeze in a pool swim tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Your report made fantastic reading Dusty, well done! You must be incredibly proud of getting your sub 3:15 :D Enjoy a rest, you certainly deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Left your novel for a friday after noon with cup of tea in hand in the office. great stuff, delighted you hit your goal! well deserved

Saturday 12th June

OW Swim - 750m

Down to the beach this morning with some of the lads to swim the Eireman X route. Brilliant swim partly due to the nice calm waters, but mainly down to my own performance :D Swam the full distance front crawl which is a first for me and a real confidence booster ahead of the Dunmore East Triathlon. Fairly confident on this performance that I surely won't be last out of the sea on this one either :rolleyes: Talk about setting high standards...

Monday 14th June - am

Swim (1,000m)

Down to the pool this morning. Not really feeling it and my legs and hips were really dragging low through the water. Didn't have a float or pull buoy to use but, tbh I find myself sinking with the pull buoy anyways so probably not any great difference.
    100 breast & 900 f/c. f/c was done in 1 x 50, 7 x 100, 1 x 150 with progressively shorter intervals. A bit of a nothing session really, just aiming to hit 1k towards the end of it.
    Had to go see a man about a dog before work so happy to leave it at that.

Tuesday 15th June - am

Swim (1,200m)

Coached swimming session iin the pool this morning. Frantic stuff, and not really sure what distance we covered but gonna call it 1,200m.
    Lots of new drills, including a group start in the lane with no goggles - great craic and I was surprised at how striong I managed to swim through the opening bumps and bashes. The no goggles thing wasn't as bad as I thought, just on the first one nearly swam over the end wall of the pool at speed :rolleyes:

Swimming is definitely improving, one more open water session tomorrow morning and then I've the beach start in Dunmore East this Saturday. Really looking forward to it now, just gotta make sure that I do myself justice cos I know I'm capable of swimming the full distance, I know I can be strong in the bumps at the start, I can swim with my eyes shut, and there's no reason why I can't come out of the water towards the back of midpack - just need to put it all together this weekend.

Haven't ran since Cork, might try do a light jog Thur / Fri

Tuesday 15th June - pm

Cycle
    32km
    Met up with a friend (the guy who got me to do my first tri) and headed off for a spin. Took it nice and handy on the flat and really attacked going up the hills. Happy that I felt fairly strong going up - but not at all comfortable :)
    Still messing around with the saddle - need to move it forward about 3/4 an inch I think.
    Hit 61km/h on the final downhill D)

Wednesday 16th June - am

OW Swim
    1,500 meters

Delighted with this
    Down to the beach with the club this morning for a 750m length. Some were going out and back, some going one way only (was alongside the shore). I decided that I'd tackle the out and if I was any way able for it try to come back again as well - done :)
    Took it easy enough for the first 750. Decided to turn back and try increase the effort coming home. Noticed the increased effort but didn't seem to be making any better progress and started to get quite tired towards the end. Finished with a similar time to the first 750m but some of the lads were commenting on the strong current on the way back so happy enough with that.
    Still no danger of me setting the world on fire with the swim, but this is a great confidence booster for this weekend.
    Suffered a bit of cramp down the backs of my legs on the way back.

Wednesday 16th June - pm

Cycle - MTB incl hillclimb
    7.6k (2.3k hill climb)

So, first time cut at the clubs summer league MTB hill climb - jaysus it hurt :eek:
    Group leisurely warm up to the start point, then we were set off individually as per the handicap. Didn't start too well for me for a number of reasons :rolleyes:
    Using the clipless pedals on my road bike I'm used to being able to pull on the upstroke to get additional power in when needed - do not try this in a sprint start tt on a bike with regular pedals. Got a few feet and BANG foot came off pedal causing no end of embarassment, and luckily no serious injuries to this gob-sheen. A few expletives later (sorry to the couple of kids that were there) and I was off. I had been told that the road turned around to the right, and in my haste I turned right off the road and into a small farmyard 'S***, F***, crap where's the effing road gone!!!' circle the yard and back out onto the track - mortified!!!
    I had borrowed the bike, and so when I saw the saddle was a little low I thought to myself it was probably a good thing as I'd need to be able to swing the bike on the climbs and didn't want the bike banging off my bum - another mistake. Sitting on the saddle I was seriously restricted in the power I could put down. Pretty quickly I decided to jump off the bike and adjust the saddle up - more time lost!!
    Anyway, was fairly plain sailing after that except for the pain. 2.3k of a climb is not really that much but in a tt on a MTB across rough ground it hurt. Normally on the bike I struggle to get my HR up, not this time. Avg HR 161 bpm, max hr 171 bpm tells it's own story. 9.7 km/h avg on the climb - and that was flat out!!
    Was a little quicker coming back down.
    Will be trying this again :)

Friday 18 June - am

Run
    @ avg 5:00/k pace

First run since the marathon. With the triathlon tomorrow I obviously didn't want to be exerting myself, but not having ran in almost 2 weeks it was important to do something. So very short very easy trot. Threw in 8 x 100m strides at the end thinking that maybe it might help to get the blood flowing and maybe also recruit a few fast twitch muscle fibres for tomorrow.
    Experienced some slight pain in my right foot but nothing major. This is the same area I picked up the overuse injury 4/5 weeks ago, and was also 'at me' for a couple of days after the marathon. Considering that I've done one half hearted foam roller session in the past 2 weeks it's 100% my own fault if I'm picking up little niggles - must look after them better going forward :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dunmore East Triathlon - Race Report
    Saturday 19th June

750m swim, 20k bike, 7k run
    1:33:22
    225 overall, 50 in category

My first 'proper' triathlon.
    9 club members racing it so a great team atmosphere on the day and lots of support from friends and family that travelled down too.

I've been having fierce difficulty with swimming since I started late last year, and really wanted to hang in on this one. Goals were to swim f/c all the way, come in under 20 mins, and not be last out of my heat - all done :) Started near the back and just put the head down and swam. Got a couple of knocks but nothing serious. The first half of the swim I felt good, but my mind started to wander in the middle bit and I reckon I really slowed down over this part, obviously managed to pick it up a bit after rounding the last buoy heading for shore. 19:24 (rank 412)

Tired woddle up the long path to transition, and as I was heading out of transition I heard someone talking about the first lady having come out of the water (started 10 mins after my heat). Knocked off my frame pump whilst trying to get my left foot into shoe - gone :( 2k into the cycle and a pink bike goes flying past me, leading lady down on her tri bars. This is a hilly course and pretty soon I had passed her out again as my road bike seemed more suited to the hills than her tt. This continued for a short while with the few leading ladies and me swapping places until they pulled away from me after a time. I was having trouble getting the big gear on the front cog and it was losing me time - needs fixing:mad:
    Overall passed more than was passed. Legs felt tired and I was dissapointed overall with the speed I was holding. I'm putting most of the tiredness in the legs down to the fact that the marathon was only 12 days earlier, so hope to improve this next time. When someone threatened to pass I was generally able to lay down enough power to hold them off, or retake them, but struggled to maintain the momentum I built up each time.
    Back into the town and the final 300m of the bike is up a really steep hill. Managed to take another few people here standing up on the pedals. 39:09 (rank 203)

Into the shoes and out on the run. Calfs had been cramping a bit on the bike but lucky felt nothing on the run. Pressed on and passed a few guys coming out of transition. Back down the steep hill we finished the bike with and then off on the run route. Had not bothered checking out the run route before the race - might try to do this in future :rolleyes: Started up a hill and was really struggling, but so was every one else. Following a swim and a bike this hill seemed a real heartbreaker, I felt like I was going nowhere and thought that I might have to stop and walk. After what seemed like an eternity I passed the 1k sign!! Onwards this hill continued, always hidden around the next bend. It took the end of the hill and the 2k mark before I started to fall into anything approaching a decent run. Started to really pick off people in front of me now. About 4k I felt someone coming up behind me and I pushed on. Soon realised that the new pace was grand, I'd been taking it far too easy the last 2k. Flying now me and this mystery person / people passed a huge number of people. Never got to see them as was pure determined not to let them past me, and managed to kick on away from them over the final 500m :D 31:54 (rank 131)

Overall am happy out. Delighted to have the swim done. Happy enough with my times and rankings. Could have done better on the bike with a bit of a service, and also need more time in the saddle. Could have done better on the run as I took it too easy for too long - should have dropped the hammer much earlier but, like in the swim, my mind was wandering. Also, I reckon that I surely had some residual fatigue from the marathon still in the legs.

Carrick-on-Suir Tri is next - lots of swimming and biking from now till then.

did nothing sunday or monday, had planned a long bike for either but it never happened for whatever reason

Tuesday 22nd June - am

Swim (1,300m)

Coached lesson. Was late and had to do some catchup. After a hurried warm up I was into 100m breathing on 9 strokes, 100m on 7, 100m on 5 & 100m on 3 - the 9's and 7's were really tough. Good news though was that after that the 5's felt ok and the 3's just easy. A bit of stroke work then with float & single arm, followed by paddles. My first time using the paddles, and after getting used to them I nearly swam through the wall at the end of the pool!! These things would be great in a race :). I've lended my own float to a friend but need to get it back as my stroke needs a lot of work.

Wednesday 23rd June - am

OW Swim (800m)

Some days are good, some days are bad. Just didn't feel this one and called a halt to it after struggling to about 400m. Most of the group disappeared off into the horizon but me and another guy decided to cut our losses and started making our way back. Water was unusually clear, have never seen it so clear at this beach, but was getting a little choppy on the way back.

Thursday 24th June - am

Cycle

I've got to get the bed time thing sorted out again. Going to bed late has really impacted me this week, causing me to sleep out Mondays bike, be late for Tuesdays swim, and left me with 45 mins less than planned on this mornings cycle.

Out to do a figure of 8 around back roads, so got lots of different quality road surfaces, a few nice hills - nothing too taxing, and lots of lovely scenery.

Met a lone cow out wandering the middle of the road, quite surreal as we silently passed one another, piking each other out of it. Into the local farmyard to report my findings - good deed done for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

DustyBin wrote: »
    Saturday 19th June

750m swim, 20k bike, 7k run
    1:33:22
    225 overall, 50 in category

Back into the town and the final 300m of the bike is up a really steep hill. Managed to take another few people here standing up on the pedals. 30:09 (rank 203)

Im kind of hoping you meant 40.09 above because 30.09 for 20k on the bike is 40km/ph.

Still not a bad speed if its 30km/ph.

Another good race and report dusty!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Im kind of hoping you meant 40.09 above because 30.09 for 20k on the bike is 40km/ph.

Still not a bad speed if its 30km/ph.

Another good race and report dusty!

Ha ha, no way 40 km/h
    Should be 39:09, changed it there now - thanks kennyb

Thursday 24th July - pm

Run
    9.3 k total incl a 1 mile tt

7.7k warm up nice and easy, then into the tt. 1.6k in 5:39 = 3:29/k pace. 4 laps of a 400m track, took the first lap a bit fast but was consistent with the next 3. Lungs on fire after, felt like I'd a small touch of a chesty dose - thankfully nothing further.

1.6k tt stats: 167 avg hr, 175 max hr

Friday 25th July - am

Cycle

Very slow spin not a lot of energy. First time road kill on the bike, flying down a hill a small bird flies out from the ditch in front of me 'tweet, tweet, twoot ...:(' Poor little fecker went under my front wheel, little bump and he was gone. Felt bad.

Friday 25th July - pm

Swim
    750m fc

This general lethargy that's hit me continued, felt like going home after the first 50m. Pushed it out to do 5 x 150m and called it a day, hit the jacuzzi, sauna & cold shower. Had planned on doing twice that but just couldn't find the will power or energy. A nothing session.

Well, it's been a wee while since I updated this. Busy RW life has meant little time for training, but less time for boards.

Saturday 26th June - am

Run
    1:13:49 = 5:27/k
    134 avg hr

Nice easy long run, haven't done one of these in a good while. Felt the back of my ankles a little itchy and tight afterwards again, but nothing lasting. The peak of the marathon training seems to have aggrevated them as I didn't have trouble with them before that. Hope they clear up soon cos I like running.

Sunday 27th June - am

Cycle
    3hrs 18mins

First real long spin. Went out with a few of the lads from the club. Bum was a bit sore afterwards, and have since been online buying some of that chamois cream - hope it arrives soon.
    Time includes a brief stop so happy that it was fairly well paced. Nice strong winds made the final 30k a real slog. 3 of us together at this stage taking turns at the front. Legs tired, body tired after this one. Followed up with the rest of the day in the garden meant I slept fairly well that night :)

Monday 28th June - pm

Swim
    1,200m
    coached pool session

Again fairly frantic stuff and had trouble keeping count. These type sessions are very enjoyable and you really don't notice the lengths going by - 1,200 is an estimate. Whilst not high mileage stuff, it was all done at approx 90% with plenty of recovery between - enjoyed it.

Wednesday 30th June - am

OW Swim
    1,200m

I have to get my head back into the open water stuff, another not very good session at the sea!!
    Anyway, swam out, swam back, got dressed, went to work.

Sunday 4th July - am

Cycle

Don't have an accurate time for this as there were lots of stops for one reason or another, the most memorable of which resulted in me getting a very impressive looking road rash.
    Basically roads were wet, tyres were slick, went into a roundabout too fast, hit something (pebble / man hole cover / grate / just leaned too far????) back wheel stepped out and I was sent sliding along on my arse!!
    We were going straight through and so were clipping along at about 35 / 40 km/h at the time, I had taken the lead and was a little too bullish. Luckily it was early Sunday morning so there were no cars around. Lesson learned (painful one at that!!)
    Bike took a little damage but was able to cycle it the 20k back to the car. There's a chunk out of the saddle and one of the hoods is all askew - nothing that can't be fixed.
    More lashing wind made that final 20k doubly difficult, but a good session nevertheless.

Monday 5th July - pm

Swim
    1,250m
    Coached pool session
    Another fast paced session with lots of sprinting, paddles, kick floats, breathing drills, catchup, and a tough one where you had to drag some one else along as they held onto your ankles. It was bad enough doing the swimming on that one, but was probably worse when it was your turn to be dragged - hard to get head up for a breath.
    Enjoyable session.

Had planned a bike/run brick for Tuesday morning but the hip was just too sore after the fall off the bike so skipped it and opted to roll over in the bed for another 40 winks instead :p Seems to have been aggravated by the swim on Monday night

Wednesday 7th July - am

Brick
    2.9k run & 1,300m ow swim

Took the run nice and easy as the hip was still very tender. I had opted to smear the road rash in vaseline and wear my lycra running shorts as I could leave them on for the swim. The jarring from the running caused a bit of pain for the first 1k or so, but really eased up after that and I found the pace increasing through the middle and end of the run. Ran at approx 5:00/k pace overall

There was a big enough group from the club getting ready for the swim when I came back to the carpark. The weather hasn't been great the past few days with a lot of wind and some rain but the sea wasn't near as rough as I thought it would be. The sea was choppier than usual alright but you couldn't call it bad. Much better swim this morning than last week. Felt a lot more relaxed in the water and just settled into the stroke and the pace. I deliberately slowed it down this morning and it seemed to pay off as I was able to pick up the pace again during the swim.

Hip and elbow still tender but getting better. I also took a knock to my ankle and that seems grand too. Will run once or twice between tomorrow and Friday before tackling my first ever mountain race on Saturday:D
    IMRA are in town and they're heading up Mt Leinster and I'm planning on going with them. It's 14k and graded at 9/10 difficulty on the IMRA site and I'll be doing it in my road shoes and probably hung over - easy :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

DustyBin wrote: »
    Saturday 19th June

missed this, was away on holidays. great effort and well done on the first tri, particularly on the swim. You're getting the swimming training in fairly regular now. 6 weeks ago i woud have said it takes only 2 weeks to get over the marathon but now I'd say more like 4 weeks so well done, there would have been still a fiar amount of fatigue in the legs from Cork.

Advertisement