Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks Gringo, I was delighted with that swim, sitting on the grass beside transition looking down on the swim course I was fairly bricking it wondering how on earth I was going to manage to swim all the way out there and back, was great to get it done.
    Yeah I think Cork is finally out of the legs now, Carrick looks like it will be a fast course so looking forward to giving it a real go now.
    Best of luck with your tri specific training for Youghal - you may have to rename the log?
    You can't beat a long bike with company - lots of time in the saddle and everyone is pushing each other on so no slacking

Thursday 8th July - am

Brick
    18.61k bike & 4.26k run

Fixed up the issue with the rh hood last night and also adjusted the front deraileur slightly as both got knocked out of sync with the fall. Hood working grand but still can't get onto the big front gear.
    Have decided now that I'm lacking some structure to my cycling, so today the aim was to do some short sharp interval work on the bike. 10 minute warm-up then into 45 secs of 90% effort followed by 45 secs easy 6 times on the way out. A good workout, gets the heart rate going and the blood pumping. Took a nice pace on the way back, moving well but not too much effort, and also attacked every hill in sight.

No messing around when I got back as I had left the runners outside with the elastic laces in. Minimal fuss and back out the gate for the run. I ran the first k fairly hard so as to better simulate race day, but reigned the pace back in once I had bedded into the run. The hip is still quite sore and raw looking so I didn't want to be overdoing it.

I've misplaced my hrm so no hr stats. Need to go looking for it as we've a particularly saucy bike spin planned for Sunday and I'd be interested in knowing what's going on inside my chest. Will go back and attack the front deraileur again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi dusty, how you getting on? hope all is well!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi dusty, how you getting on? hope all is well!

Hi Kennyb
    Yeah I'm grand - just very busy at the moment. Between work and home things have just been mad busy, but am still getting time to train (a little less than I'd like) and race, just not had much time to write about it.
    Janey mack, looking back there it's been a fair while since my last training post - will have to update during this week, but basically ran the IMRA Mt Leinster race last weekend - brilliant craic and a world of pain, legs and quads in particualr felt similar to what they felt like after the marathon. 6.5k up the mountain, turn around and then 6.5k back down again, across bog and rocks in some of the worst weather I've ever seen.
    Then this weekend I raced the Carrick on Suir triathlon. Met Oryx beforehand - she had a great race afterwards and a stonking run. I was happy with my times, came in 84th overall and was the 3rd of 8 from the club.
    Will give more details on the races and update the training later this week.

Looks like you've found a nice new way to torture yourself whilst resting the achilles!! Them cycling races sound tough going - fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Howya Dusty,

See you did the tri on Sunday, finished well up the field, well done - don't dilly dally with the race report!:P Only joking - I know you're busy lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Looks like I'll be chasing you around the roads of Gorey for the next few weeks, trying to keep up with your run numbers:) Good going!

The long lost update...

Forgive me training log for neglecting you for so long rolleyes.gif

Right so, basically I've been doing a little bit of training and some triathlons since I last posted anything meaningful up here.
    I completed my last tri of the year last Saturday in Summerhill. It was the Quarryman Tri and I'm very happy both with the overall result, but moreso with the confidence that I've now cracked the swimming nut - took me a long time and it still ain't pretty but I've got there smile.gif

Training has definitely fallen off since the marathon, and I've gained about 5 kilos in that time. Not a bad thing though as I was too thin for Cork. I'm now back at 79 kilos, but much slimmer than when I was tipping 81k last October when I started this log. I've obviously been doing more swimming and cycling since the marathon, but my running has gone to the dogs. I've found myself struggling with my core heading out on the run section of the few tri's and aquathons I've been doing - need to put work into this over the winter.

Races, well this is basically what I've been up to:

Mt Leinster IMRA race
    My first imra race, and my first time running up Mt Leinster. Was 5 weeks after the marathon and I had ran a total of 41k between the two races. Weather was atrocious, with visibility down to about 20 feet, heavy mist/rain and very strong winds. Really motored up the first little bit, but soon came to rue that as the gradient increased and my legs starting screaming at me. Then I remembered reading someone (DNHP or SJ) saying that walking uphill was often a good tactic in imra races, so I walked. Really struggled to get going running again after this and proceeded to run/walk to the top, dizzy turn around and I threw myself back down the hill. Flying down was great craic and is surely reason enough to trudge up along these mountains. Came home in 19th spot, loved it and will be doing more of these, unfortunately not looking likely that I'll be able to race Powerscourt ridge in Nov.

Carrick-on-Suir Tri
    Sprint distance, first river swim. A good crew from the Tri club turned up for this with lots of supporters and 8 competitors. Was all downstream so flew through the swim part. Found the bike nice, really pushed it throughout and made great headway against all those who came out of the water around me. Was in the slower of the two waves, and towards the back of it coming out of the water so when I started out into the run all the really fast lads were already/nearly finished. Passed a rake of people on the run, really pushed it and felt the pain coming through the final 2k, managed a sprint for the finish to take a guy in front and hold off a challenger from behind. Met Oryx beforehand who got on great in her first tri.

Bray Aquathon - July
    What a tough swim!! Had a lady in a canoe in my vision every time I put my face up to breath - not that encouraging to know that you're down at the back and they are maybe concerned about your progressredface.gif
    Came out of the water about 5 from last, including a little sprint between me and two other guys who appeared out of nowhere as the three of us converged on the final turning buoy - I got there first biggrin.gif
    Swim was supposed to be 750m, but was maybe long, and definitely against the current, took me about 27 mins!!
    Out on the run, passed a load of people but was hard to judge cos its a two lap run, well not that hard really I suppose as the leading lads & ladies are obvious by the look of them but you get the picture.
    Really felt my core muscles give out on this one.

Tri 795
    Our clubs first ever triathlon and it all went great for the club. Met Oryx again and was also chatting with Woddle - it was his first tri.
    I struggled with the pool swim, the last time I did one of these was the Greystones aquathon back on Good Friday and that was a pure disaster!!
    Enjoyed the bike, a fair auld lumpy course that the lads laid out, really took you out of your comfort zone, died a death heading out on the run, but soon picked it up about 1k into it and finished out very strong - very enjoyable, but will have to marshal this one next year.

Bray Aquathon - August
    Had got my new wetsuit and this was its maiden outing training or racing. Felt much more confident on the swim between the new suit and the extra swim training I'd been doing, current appeared to be comparable with the last day as the times of others seemed consistent - I took over 6 minutes off my time biggrin.gif. Out on the run and off to chase down a friend of mine. This was his first mutlisport race, but he's a fantastic swimmer. Judging by where I met him coming back down the hill I reckon he came out of the water a good 4-5 minutes ahead of me. Chased & chased, met him at halfway and thought that I hadn't closed that much ground, met him then on the final turnaround and figured that if I pushed harad enough I could get him. Passed him about 300-400 meters out from the line tongue.gif
    Relaxed a little coming around the final bend and got caught from behind, eyeballs out sprint finish and we crossed the line together getting the same finish time, but in fairness I reckon he would have got it on a slo-mo re-play.

Fermoy Tri
    This was the clubs big away day triathlon, lots of support and 20 competitors from the club. I had been really looking forward to giving this one socks but it didn't turn out too well for me. Started with leaving the house over an hour later than planned, and then a mad dash across country down to registration. Transition was closing and had to get set up and back down to the swim start. Still 25 mins to go before race start but I was pure pumped at this stage. Into the water for a 250m upstream and 500 downstream swim. Got to the turning buoy in a great position and got through the bish bash of the washing machine ok and was pointing for home and noticed one of the lads from the club on my shoulder who is a much faster swimmer than me so I was well pleased. Then I lost my head and just had a bit of a freak out. Swam to the side of the river and held onto a hanging branch for a minute or two to gather my thougths and started out again f/c only to flip onto my back, f/c again / back / finished f/c - disaster!! Messed me up for the cycle and run and I was disgusted with myself for letting my mind go like that.

Mick Murphy memorial - 4 mile road race
    This was my very first road race last year. I had ran 95k in the month before hand so couldn't really have expected much, but sure I was and despite taking one and a half minutes off last years time I still hadn't hit my target. In hindsight I did alright all things considered. I had gone up and down Mt Leinster with some of the lads only two days beforehand and the legs were still sore rolleyes.gif

Quarryman Tri
    My last tri of the year. We got there good and early so no problems there. I was a bit apprehensive before the swim looking out on the lake it seemed like a long way to have to swim. Race started and I took it easy settling into a pace I was sure I could keep going with. Pretty soon I was picking up the pace and passing lads left and right which felt great. Out of the water and onto the bike. A great bike route with a lovely surface. A little longer than usual at 25k, I was concious of not pushing too high a gear as I had done in Fermoy. I think that this resulted in a bit of an uneven effort thoughout but sure I've the whole winter to fix that. Flying jump off the bike into T2 to great woops and cheers from a lady in the crowd who was apparantly doing the same for anyone who performed this particular trick - nice for people to show that kind of enthusiasm smile.gif
    Onto the run and I went searching to catch one of the lads from the club.
    Managed to close a fair bit of ground on him but didn't get close to catching him. Delighted with this tri, had a good swim and finished the run strong.

So what next?

Plan is to run some cross country this winter, maybe get a turbo from santy and work hard on my swim. I've Joe Friels book and the bones of a plan for next year. I still need to set out a few objectives and goals but the big one for me is to do a sub 2:30 Olympic next year - might be aiming a bit high but sure if you don't try you definitely won't get there.

Looking back to my first post on this log:
    DustyBin wrote: »
    I'm going to do the Waterford half marathon Dec 2009 & the Connemara Full Apr 2010 - there, I've said it!!
    (Oh, and I'm also going to learn how to swim!!)

Ran Waterford, had to do Cork instead of Connemara, and I think I can say I'm now able to swim. I'm really delighted with the year that I've had considering that I was doing SFA before August 2010. Gonna try get that sub 40 10k monkey off my back some time in November, maybe at Camlough.
    So I reckon I'll close this off now, but will train away over the winter and might open a new log in the new year.

Thanks to all of ye who took the time to read it over the past year and especially to those who went to the effort to write something on here, I got a huge amount of advice and encouragement from it all.

Thanks biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Dusty, although I sense a 1/2 Ironman on the list for next year as well ;) Will you be taking up your deferred Connemara Full entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You've had a great year Dusty, fair play to you. Best of luck with the future goals, they'll be no bother to you :)

catweazle wrote: »
    Will you be taking up your deferred Connemara Full entry?

Yeah I'll probably pop over for it all right
    It's not a priority race for me at this stage though and I don't want it to interfere too much with tri training. Had considered going to do the half but at the moment am thinking 'what's the point in that?' - if I'm going to connemara it may as well be for the full :)
    catweazle wrote: »
    Well done Dusty, although I sense a 1/2 Ironman on the list for next year as well ;)

Ha ha, not at the minute anyway catweazle. I had said before that if I could conquer the Olympic swim I'd be onto a HIM in a flash, but not so sure now. Lets see what next year brings, but not likely I'd reckon.

• Advertisement

Very little difference between an Olympic swim and a 1/2 Ironman only another 400m. Although don't do Kenmare judging from Macanris hour swim, glad i did Swinford 1/2 in a nice lake as that tidal swim would have killed me.

I am in the same boat with Connemara, I would like to do the full again, the scenery is much better on the first 1/2 of the race and there is a great sense of adventure about it with the small number racing it compared to the half where they have a couple of 1000 runners

However I dont want to do the training for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Dustybin,
    Good summary on the year. It was very nice to meet you in Kildare, and an interesting log to stay in touch with.

Fair play to you on what was a great season. Your sub 3:15 marathon in Cork was a great achievement, but watching you run the Kildare half, it was always clear you were a strong runner. The sub 40 10k will be no bother to you once you find a race.

I look forward to next year's log. I'm aiming to do some triathlons myself, so I'll have more reason to read it, and perhaps we'll meet again at some race meeting (I'll wear less garish shoes!).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭scout33

hi throw in the dungarvan 10 miler into your plans a great race some value for 15 euro.jan 30th

No worries scout, already going :)
    did it last year and loved it, going again this year even if only for the cake afterwards
    see you down there

DustyBin wrote: »
    - if I'm going to connemara it may as well be for the full :)

Doesn't full = Ultra in Connemara language?;)

Good luck with the plans for next year!

Bringing back the log

Despite the fact that Izoards post was almost 16 months ago I've decided to bring this old log back :)
    Why? Cos I'm running the Waterford marathon in June and want somewhere to record what training I'm doing. I gave up keeping track of the bare stats (km's & hr's) in excel and I don't have a written journal so I thought I'd have a go here again. If I don't keep it going then no harm.
    I'm following this plan http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4432&PageNum=5
    Currently into week 2, this week and last week have been the two biggest running weeks I have ever done.
    Target for Waterford is sub 3, this is my second marathon having snuck under 3:15 first time round in Cork 2010. I am fully confident that if I can do the training then the race will take care of itself. This is a very challenging plan for me both in the quantity of miles run and the time commitment. Like a lot of other posters, I have a family that I want to spend time with. I have made up my mind that all runs will be done early morning. So far it is working out ok, I just need to tighten up another bit on the bedtime. Dragging my lazy ass out of bed at 4:30am to go run 20K is a challenge in itself. 27K run tomorrow with slightly later start time of 7:00.

I found this week that I probably hadn't fully readied myself for the miles this plan looks for, but am still confident that I can do it. What I might do for a few weeks is swap out a recovery 8K for 45/60 mins easy turbo if I feel I need it. Haven't missed any runs yet, although I did decide last night that I wasn't running this morning, just had to get out the door this morning way too early to squeeze a run in beforehand. Will probably leave it as a rest day and swap it with Sunday for easy run/turbo (taking Sunday as regular rest day). Legs feeling tired and slightly sore this week, trying to look after them before picking up any niggles.

So that's what I'm doing at the moment.

Last year I didn't run Connemara, nor did I do DCM. I started the year with great intentions and was lashing out the tri training. Then about March the wheels came off the training. Got it back together for a little while and managed several tri's, including my first and second Oly tri's at Athy and Beast of the East. Training went downhill again and by the time Brian Boro came around I was really just going through the motions and not doing myself any justice at all. Decided to pull out of Dublin tri and reboot for a little while. Decided then to get back to the running, hit a sub 3 that I know I'm capable of, and then go back to the tri once more. Trained on/off for Dungarvan 10 miler and ran under 66 mins. Have signed up for Hope & Dream 10 miler 1st April in Enniscorthy aiming to break 65 mins. Plan to hopefully pull together a team for the Wicklow Way relay, and run two other races either 2 10 ks or a 10k and a 10 mile. and that's it before the marathon. I have swam twice since Brian Boro, neither time in a race, and have cycled maybe 3 times, once a race (got a puncture :rolleyes:). Full focus is running sub 3.

Anyway, that's the update if anyone is interested. Meanwhile though I'm just looking forward to being able to keep track of my training again. I hope that this will be something else to help keep me motivated and keep me heading out the door at all hours of the morning.

Think I'll stick with the triathlete code of KM's for the log though;)

Last week
    Mon, 13k
    Tue, 15k
    Wed, 8k
    Thu, 18k
    Fri, 8k
    Sat, 24k
    Sun, rest
    Week total: 86k

This week so far
    Mon, 13k with 10 * 100 strides
    Tue, 19k
    Wed, 8k
    Thur, 13k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Good to see you back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good to see ya back John.

28k run today
    Had lots of company for first 21k, was a tough slog getting through the final 7 on my own. Nice hilly route with plenty of pulls. Lots of lovely sunshine too, a great day for running. No sign of any of the few niggles I've been feeling lately either.
    For a variety of reasons was up earlier and started later than intended so had two slices of toast and half a banana beforehand. Carried one gel but didn't take it.
    Feeling good, all easy stuff so far, first LT session coming Monday

Good to see you back, DB!

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I'd been off boards for a good while and then started doing a fair bit of lurking recently so decided to resurrect the old log and get back recording my running. Honestly, this log was a big part in me eventually getting out the door to complete the past two days of running - result :)

The runs over the last two days very nearly didn't happen. Despite all the intentions of getting out early, a teething toddler can put scuppers on the best laid of plans.
    Anyway, long and short of it was that both runs had to be done late at night, which is not ideal for me as I'm not used to this routine and juggling diner with a run and the subsequent late night recovery meal is something I don't normally have to handle. Last nights run was two hours finishing shortly after 11 so skipped 8k recovery this morning but just after getting it done over lunch.
    Delighted that I managed to stay on track over the last few days tbh

Mon 12th March
    14.5k run incl 6.4k LT@ 4.04/k

Couldn't get out for this run Monday morning and for a lot of the evening looked like either a missed day or else an easy 8k but managed to squeeze out about 8:45 to get it done. Thought I wouldn't be able to finish it, felt I was going to die after the 6.4k ended, job done. First bit of speed type work this training cycle, great to have it started. A few strides again next week followed by another LT the week after - nice & easy intro. Aim for LT was 4.05/k so happy with result.

Tue 13th March
    21.9k run @ 5.30/k avg

Same story as Monday, threatened non-starts and 8k easy's all day. Eventually out the door at 9.00pm for a 2 hour run - never ran that far that late before. Fairly uneventful run, town feels different at 10pm as opposed to 5am. Obviously just out for a trot and not really pushing any kind of pace but was still surprised to see it drop from 5.16 avg at about 14.5k mark down to overall 5.30avg at finish.

Wed 14th March
    8k easy @ 4.59/k pace

Never any intention of getting oiut this morning after last noght, so happy out to get it done at lunchtime, means I can hopefully get back on track tomorrow morning.

Very happy to still be bang on track after what has been a tough start to the week.

Thu 15th Mar
    14.3k @ 5.42/k

A bit shorter than planned (17.4k) but no harm, still got out. Very very heavy legs this morning, struggled to get going at all, was only in the final 500m that I felt a bit of life in them. Dull ache up high in my right butt cheek for the first half of the run, will keep an eye on and stretch out.
    I think maybe the two recent late night runs have thrown me out a bit so hoping another early morning or two willl see me back on track. Starting to see a few more runners & walkers out in the early morning.

Welcome back John!

Cheers CW, sure I'll try keep it going again for a while anyway

Fri 16th Mar
    8.1k @ 4:55/k

Easy evening run to freshen the legs

Sat 17th Mar
    24.2k @ 5:30/k

Plans to hook up with Izoard unfortunately didn't happen, just as well looking at his own monster run instead!!
    Set out with the Saturday lads, nice easy company & chat saw the miles fly by as we trundled around the back roads with a few nice little pulls scattered throughout to keep the legs honest. Did a little bit extra on own at end to make up the distance.

Mon 19th Mar
    14.5k @ 5:12/k with 10 x 100m strides

Took a very hilly route for this one, nice to be able to get out in the daylight for a midweek run for a change with the bank hol
    Headed out early afternoon and back just in time for a nice big lunch!!:)

Tue 20th Mar
    20.8k @ 5:35/k

Back down to earth with a bang heading out the door into the pitch black night/morning before 5am
    Trundled into town for the street lights and did 3 big loops around relief roads, housing estates and the main street. Dead quiet early on but the place really picks up after 6 with traffic starting, birds singing and the dawn breaking - great to be able to be out in it.

Spent full day Wed (4am - 11pm) travelling to England and back so Wed & Thu write offs training wise. Could not get out today either :mad: !!!
    Damage is two missed 8k recoveries and one 18k. Will do the 18k Sunday instead of rest day so hopefully will be grand having just missed the two 8k's then.

Sat 24th Mar
    27k @ 4:54/k

Was supposed to get 28.8k done but was very tight for time and ended going like the clappers and getting a lot further distance than expected.
    Went in early to get a quick 3.3k on my own first before hooking up with the lads. Pace started fast enough with the lads before the others took the foot off the gas a little. Myself and a lad who's only ran once in the past 2weeks were raring to go and pushed on. Waterford will be his 2nd marathon, got in under 4 hours in DCM '11. I've been trying to convince him that he's capable of a big leap and should be aiming 3:15/3:30, hopefully 15miles today @ 3:30 pace will make up his mind. Run was out and back on main road so excellent surface with a few rollers but nothing mad.
    Great run and felt really strong pushing 4:4x/k in the final few k's. Got to thinking 'what pace should these runs be at?' turns out I've been running the long runs a bit slower than p&d would like so may have to look at doing large parts of the Saturday runs on my own?? Really like the company so not sure will see. But do really want to give Waterford and the sub 3 my absolute very best effort so maybe?:confused:

Sun 25th Mar
    11.2k @ about 5:10/k

Distance is accurate, guessing at the pace. Was moderate effort over a fairly lumpy course.
    Had been away all day so squeezed in this run last thing before dark
    Fantastic weather and great to be able to head out at that time of the evening in short sleeves

Mon 26th Mar
    22.4k @ 4:54/k

Miised the morning window for this run but thankfully was able to get out for another evening run. Following on from my discovery that I was running medium and long runs too slow I was ready to eat up the road on this one. Cruised along through the first couple of k's about 4:35/4:40 pace before reigning it back in a bit. Legs started to feel the pressure of long run 2 days ago and a toughish ruin the evening before with no rest day. A lot of the route was the same to Saturdays run but there was a good bit more climbing (long, long drags really) on the parts that were different, so well pleased with having the same pace.

Tue 27th Mar

5.2k @ 5:40/k

Very short very easy trot this morning to freshen up the legs, lots of stretching afterwards. I feel great at the moment and am looking forward to each run as they come round, how long will this last?? Only 13weeks to Waterford :rolleyes: really looking forward to tomorrows 32k run for some strange perverse reason??

This weeks programme is a little different to what P&D want due to race on Sunday. Plan calls for:
    M 14.4k w 6.4k @ LT
    T 22.4k
    W 8k recov
    T 19.2k
    F 8k recov
    S 32km
    S rest

I plan to swap out the LT for the race and juggle everything else around a bit like so:
    M 22.4k
    T 5.2K recov
    W 32k
    T 19.2k
    F 8k
    S rest
    S 16k race + warm up & cool down

I have had the 32k run marked on my calendar for 5/6 weeks now so have not worried too much about that one, it was last nights 22.4k that I worried would not happen so happy days to have it done. Looking at the week ahead I am unsure about the 19.2k on thursday morning as the 32k will be done wednesday evening, if up for it I will go ahead as I want to leave as much recovery as possible for the race but if I need to swap if with Fridays recovery run no big deal, I'll play it by ear

Will be an interesting week for me with a projected weekly km-age well in excess of 100k - far and away my biggest running week ever

Wed 28th Mar
    32.1k @ 5:24/k

Longest run so far this training cycle, longest ever midweek run. Blazing sunshine of a March evening - who'd have thought it?
    Lathered up with sunscreen and out the door carrying a water belt with 4 small bottles of water and 1 energy gel as back up. I've not been using the energy gels in training this time round and had no plans to use this one either, backup only. Had fueled up well in work with a brown bread tuna salad sandwich and lots of pasta salad along with some fruit between breakfast and lunch.
    In keeping with recent long runs I was trying to go out handy enough, take her up to about 5:10/k after long warmup and finish strong about 4:45/k. Ended up starting about 5:15/k and kept her steady from there. No issues on way out, felt strong and was enjoying the sun.
    Started getting one of this hotspot pains in the ball of left foot about 14k but put it out of mind and kept going. Decided would be prudent to take the gel about 17k and was probably too early. Zipping along, pushed it up to 4:50/k and flying, struggled to hold this pace at about 20k and dropped back to 5:15 for a while. Yo-yo'd then from 5:10 - 5:30 for the next while before the wheels fell off around 26k and struggled badly through a few 6:40/k kilometres for a while. Was really struggling at this point, even on the flat, ran out water during this time too with the pain in my foot coming back with a bang too before stopping at a neighbours house at 29k to refill bottles. The brief stop and chat (and maybe the water too?) helped a lot and tipped along at 5:25/k the rest of the way home. Tough, tough run. Hopefully the next long one will be better, will carry 2 gels and not take till later next time I go over 30k.

Was out for a work dinner then and had a couple of bottles of beer so decided against running this morning, plan to nip out for a short recovery later before heading for 19k tomorrow and then race Sunday.
    Feel good this morning though, no aches or pains anywhere.

Thu 29th Mar
    5.4k @ 5:05/k

Funny thing running, felt like I could not slow down any further today for what was supposed to bo a recovery run.
    I should probably be trying to run the recoveries about 5:25/5:30 or that, dont know why but could not run any slower. Legs felt a little tired in the quads from yesterday evenings run but no other effects, left foot not a bother no hot pain. Had covered the first 1.6k in 4:36/k and just struggled to keep it much slower than 5:00/k after that.
    Lunchtime and busy so kept the run short.

Looking back, tomorrows run is 19k not 22k, rest Saturday, then 10 mile Hope&Dream race in Enniscorthy Sunday morning.

Fri 30th Mar
    14k @ 5:12/k

Wrecked
    Absolutely knackered
    Fought many a brave battle this morning with the snooze button before finally falling out of the bed and out the door. Quads feeling it today. Pushed hard to maintain the pace, if I didn't think about it it dropped straight back to 5:30's. Because of my inability to spring out of the bed this morning only had time for 14k of intended 19k - it's ok still got a good hard run in (this pace felt hard today).
    Quare glad tomorrow's a rest day and then next week a step back week.
    Will hopefully get to try out the epsom salts bath tonight and a bit of foam rolling to help the quads for Sundays race.

• Advertisement

Been a bit of a while so I'll spare the detail

Sun 1st Apr, 10 mile hope and dream race, ran a 66:33 on a v tough hilly course and carrying a cold so very happy with that, top 20 placing :), warm up & cool down total 5ish k
    Mon 2nd Apr 5.5k @ 5:27/k
    Wed 4th Apr 9.5k @ 5:41/k
    Thu 5th Apr 11.6k @ 5:21/k
    Mon 9th Apr 16.7k with 8k @ LT
    Tue 10th Apr 22k @ 5:24/k
    Wed 11th Apr 8.1k @ 5:39/k
    Thu 12th Apr 17.8k @ 5:00/k
    Fri 13th Apr 12.3k @ 5:17/k (incl 10 x 100m strides)
    Sat 14th Apr 32.3k @ 5:30/k
    Mon 16th Apr am 9.4k @ 5:51/k
    ____________pm 6k @ 5:15/k - grass
    Tue 17th Apr 23.5k @ 5:03/k
    Thu 19th Apr 17k with 9k @ LT
    Fri 20th Apr 8.1k @ 5:38/k
    Sat 21st Apr 29k @ 5:50ish - recce wicklow way relay
    Mon 23rd Apr am 9.4k @ 5:39/k
    ____________pm 5.2k @ 4:53/k
    Wed 25th Apr 22.1k @ 5:19/k
    Thu 26th Apr 21.2k @ 5:29/k
    Fri 27th Apr 10k @ 5:36 (incl 10 x 100m strides)

so that's me up to date
    Feeling good at the moment
    Target of sub 3 goes from dead cert, to pipe dream in my head but generally still feeling its on
    Struggling on some of the LT sessions to maintain the pace but in fairness have been mostly ran in wind but still a little concerned, need to suffer more on these I think
    Big session planned for tomorrow
    P&D calling for a 24k run with 19k @ PMP

Have ran the following weekly totals since plan started

wk 1 86k
    wk 2 77k
    wk 3 91k
    wk 4 62k
    wk 5 91k
    wk 6 48k
    wk 7 109k
    wk 8 92k

been a little up and down so need to sort that out
    wk 6 was a step back week but I really swung the lead altogether
    This week should round out about 94k, next week another step back and then 5 solid weeks followed by 3 week taper

Advertisement