Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Friday 23rd October

7.8 miles, 1:05:42, 8.25 avg pace

Woo hoo, longest run yet and was way better than Wednesdays run
    Felt strong throughout and felt really fresh afterwards
    During the first mile the legs were still feeling a little tired from Wednesday nights circuits, and first mile took 9.34 to complete :eek:. During this mile I made up my mind that I wasn't going to go for the full 7.8, that I'd do 6.25 instead. Then I decided that I'd do a different route approx 5 miles, and then I just went for it.

Between mile 1 and mile 5.4 I reckon I was going at a little under 7.20 pace :D. I took RoyMcC's advice and got a nice long flat section of road to run along and it really did feel much easier than the hillier stuff I have been on.

Then I finished with 2.4 miles of fairly consistent climb to get home. I lost a lot of time on this section, but got two boosts of energy along the way. Firstly my box of High 5 arrived from wiggle yesterday, I know that they should really be for longer runs than today, but I did only get them yesterday!! My God, are energy gels possibly the most disgusting texture you'd ever have to slid down your gizzard? Anyway, didn't get sick so no harm done. Secondly got the heart put across my by some lady walking into work in dark clothing. I had seen not a soul for approx 6 miles and then she just appears from nowhere.

Anyway, am still buzzing after this mornings run as might be obvious, so will leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

nice running,
    can't stand those energy gels,
    try powerbar ride shots - they're like cola bottles - I use them on the bike all the time.

Friday 23rd Oct - pm

went for 2.5 miles of C25K wk 4 tonight
    was tempted to push on afterwards for a sneeky 2-3 mile run but the slight twinge I felt in right buttock put paid to that
    reckon that I might go for a swim tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

All these double runs DB, very impressive, just like the elites.

ha ha - elites!
    Thanks OI but I don't think that anyone could ever refer to my stubborn plodding as elite.
    Anyway the C25K stuff is grand, you would build up a sweat alright but so far the longest continuous run is 5 mins. Ramps up fairly sharply from here on in though and I think theres a 20 min run the end of next week

• Advertisement

Sunday 25th October

Total of 10.3 miles covered this morning
    Did first 2.5 as C25K wk 4 - approx 30 mins
    Then immediately set into 7.8 mile run
    Same run as Friday 1:03:05 mins giving a 8:05 avg pace which was 2 1/2 mins quicker than last time
    I really enjoyed this run again despite a very strong wind in my face for most of the route
    Covered mile 3.5 - mile 5 in approx 7:00 pace after seeing a group of 4 runners in front of me
    Closed them down only to discover that they were two? Damned blurred vision!
    Feeling good and strong now with another heavy session planned for tonight (pub) and rest day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You're flying DustyBin, great stuff!! Well done!!

Tuesday 27th October

4.5 miles of hills this morning
    38:34 time = 8.34 pace

Seem to have rounded some sort of a corner this past week - the running just seems more natural (and dare I say it enjoyable as well as easier??)
    Am surely gonna regret saying that in the coming days / weeks :rolleyes:

I have done this route slightly faster before, but it just felt much better today. Also starting to get used to the whole getting up early and stumbling out the door thing.

Well done to all who completed the Dublin marathon yesterday - very jealous of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

some people may not agree but so many hills nearly killed me

DustyBin wrote: »
    I'm going to do the Waterford half marathon Dec 2009 & the Connemara Full Apr 2010 - there, I've said it!!
    (Oh, and I'm also going to learn how to swim!!)

A friend of mine got me to do the Eireman sprint in August and I absolutely loved it. Since then I've done the Ashford Duathlon last week, and I did the Eireman X yesterday.

I've set myself a target of completing both the above races over the coming months. The furthest I've ever ran todate is little over 5 km's. I'm going to broadly follow the Hal Higdon novice half marathon schedule http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/halfnovice.pdf, beginning at week 2 on the schedule from this week.

I'm also going to try learn to swim over the winter in preparation for next years Tri season. Yesterday was my first competition swim and it was horrible!! Took a full 35mins to complete the 750m and coming in paddy last!!

Also, my wife has started the couch to 5 K program and I'm keeping her company on the runs, so I'll be building that into my half training program too.

Have never previously ran, swam, or cycled.

I used to play rugby until I was 20, did nothing for years, and have been playing 5-a-side soccer for the past year.

I'm 30, tiping the scales at 81kg, recently gave up the fags, and raring to go!!

Any help/advice/criticism that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated

So here goes:

Plan for Monday: REST - well it was a tough race yesterday ;)

Tuesday 27th October - pm

1 hours 5 a side soccer last night, again a really good lung bursting workout on a double sized pitch - we lost

No running to/from soccer heroics last night as I'm ramping up the mileage this week getting into the grove for Crookstown and Waterford with runs on Tues, Wed & Thurs these weeks
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    some people may not agree but so many hills nearly killed me

Heffsarmy, yeah you're probably right about Commemara being a pure killer. I'd put up the goal without actually checking out just how tough the course was going to be (still don't know until I do it really). It just happened to be the earliest Irish marathon I found that I could realistically train for.

Anyway, Connemarathon - HTFU :D

Not gonna take it down yet until I at least see how I get on in the Waterford Half in Dec.
    Krusty Clown is a fan of running Connemara as your first Marathon mainly due to the very friendly atmosphere amongst all the competitors I think. I hope he'll be there this year as I may be looking to throttle him afterwards:)

Sure I'll see how I'm getting on in hilly training - lots of hills out where I live, then I might look at it again.

• Advertisement

Wedneday 28th October

Easy 4 miler this morning

Set out to do 5 if I'm honest, but between a slight tightness I was feeling, and the thougths of circuits tonight and a tempo run in the morning I allowed that I'd leave it at 4

36:08 time = 9:02 pace - nice and easy?? probably too easy

Have been giving some thought lately to what pace I want to aim for in Crookstown 10k
    McMillan has me down for 43:02 based on my 4 mile result from a few weeks back, but I reckon I'll go out gunning for a 42:00
    40:00 just seems way too fast at this stage

Wednesday 28th Oct - pm

another great circuits workout
    for the sake of 1 hour and €6 this really is great stuff
    only my third session but feeling stronger already
    made it up the ropes tonight as well, ok was a little less than graceful, and the Irish gynastic's team (assume there is one?) are safe enough for another while yet but I still made it! Wasn't sure what to do when I got to the top and thankfully made it back down in one piece!!

Friday 30th Oct

6 mile run in the lashing wind and rain
    Mixture of tempo and hills
    (?? - I know, but it just that kind of a route)

50:40 overall = 8.27 pace

Two faster (tempo? - I'm still learning) sections completed at the middle and at the end. These came in at the bottom of McMillan's prescribed tempo pace for my target time in Crookstown. They were 7:12 pace and 7:07 pace.

This run was to be completed yesterday, but when I got out of the bed yesterday morning I knew that there was no way I'd be able for it. I've been burning the candle at both ends of late and trying to get by on 5 - 6 hours sleep as well as exercise twice a lot of days. Got an early night last night, and will have to make effort to start back into getting decent sleep once more. Today should have been a rest day but ...

At this stage all pretense of continuing to follow Hal Higdon's novice half marathon plan has gone out the window. Instead I am following a plan I got from the shop where I had my gait analysis done. Basically its:

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Hills
    Wed: Easy
    Thu: Tempo
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Easy
    Sun: Long Slow

Saturday 31st Oct

6.5 miles total running
    First 2.5m was C25K wk 5 with Mrs DB
    Then set off for 4m easy 33:07 = 8:17 pace

Felt slight niggle in left leg in and around the hip area. Think that this is to do with the camber on the roads I use. Was really conscious of this today and was constantly moving from right to left and back to try even it up a bit - really don't know if this does any good at all but in my head I think it does.

Sunday 1st Nov

12.5 miles total running

10m long slow 1:32:55 = 9:17 pace
    2.5m C25K wk 5 with 2m @ 10:00 pace

I knew it was going to be a good run when the rain woke me before the alarm clock went off!!
    Headed out onto roads covered with ankle deep flood water and slogged it out in wind and rain - felt really slow but was about the height of what I could manage this morning.
    Weather got better on way home and immediately continued on C25K with Mrs DB. C25K is a fantastic programme and Mrs DB is now running 2 miles non-stop!
    Crookstown is Saturday so will have to juggle around this weeks schedule a little bit.

Still loving this fitness stuff!

Monday 2nd Nov - rest

Tuesday 3rd Nov

5.7 miles hills

Took a different route this morning to my previous hilly runs
    My God is this new one a hill!!

Really tough going getting up to the top, but was happy enough with my pace. I reckon I was doing about 8.45 - 9.00 pace (includes 3 short walks!!). Then, just as I was coming down the homeward slope I felt pain in my knee. Took another walking break and tried going again but only got probably 400 yards before the pain came back.

It wasn't really bad pain, but I decided that the best thing to do would be to just walk home, especially with Crookstown this weekend. So walked about a mile and then gave it another test - no pain, happy days thinks I, but I still stopped and walked the last 3/4 miles home.

So ran maybe 4 miles hills and walked 1.7.

Gonna take this week as an easy week, no soccer tonight, no run tomorrow, go for easy run Thursday. I'll continue to do the C25K runs with Mrs DB (one tonight) and will go to circuits tomorrow.

I've been increasing my mileage ahead of the recommended 10% the past few weeks so just need to tone it down probably.

With a bit of luck should be fully rested and right as rain for Saturdays 10k race.

Wednesday 4th Nov

2.5 miles nice and easy - C25K wk 6

Knee felt much better today, though still a small little bit stiff. I remember now that I actually done the damage initially when stepping awkwardly on a pothole towards end of sunday's run.

I bought both Total Immersion and Advanced Marathoning on Amazon so just waiting for them to arrive now (December!!).

Getting a little bit anxious about my target time for Saturday (42 min 10k). OK so I averaged 6.46 pace over 4 miles in my first race a few weeks back, and I should have better speed and stamina at this stage, but the thougths of going 6.45 pace for 6.25 miles is starting to sink in now :confused:

Not sure whether to print out a backup band of say 44 mins or not? I reckon though that with all this good intention of pacing myself I'll probably still tear out doing 6.00 for the first mile and be praying to just hold it together after that!!

Wednesday 4th - pm

Circuits session
    Getting really full now with a lot more people meaning that there are a good few more stations required and a good bit of congestion - anybody think there's a stampede on for the christmas tummy's??

Anyway, extra crowd was all handled very well, and actually improved the workout rather than take away from it - extra stations meant more exercises to do.

Thinking that I may just limit this to one night a week and try to squeeze in some swimmng somewhere else instead?

Thursday 5th Nov

3.6 mile easy(ish) run 27.29 = 7.38 pace

Went out this morning with the intention of running a nice easy pace (about 8.15 pace)
    Ended up running something halfway between easy and tempo, but it felt good anyway.
    Coming very near home I felt (imagined??) something very small in my left knee again so stopped the watch and jogged very lightly the last 0.4 of a mile.

That's it I reckon before Saturday's race, good luck to all the other boardies racing, hope to meet up with some of you there.

Best of luck on Saturday DustyBin - happy running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck on Saturday!!!

Crookstown 10k race report
    Saturday 7th Nov

Actual time: 44:45 - position: 67 of 700 (woo hoo!)
    Target time: 41:55

Reach for the stars and you might catch the moon – should maybe have called my log that. I knew that sub 42 was a real big stretch, but I thought I’d get closer than that if I’m honest, anyway…

Had stuffed my gills (no pun intended) with sushi the night before and related or not, spent that night and the morning of the race with diarrhoea. Concentrated on stocking up on fluids in the car and arrived at the start line for registration about 9.15am (race at 11.00). Registration was very efficient and fast, which was a bit disappointing as I now had over an hour before I’d start any warm up!! New stretch of motorway meant that there was always going to be a wind, add in the cold morning with drizzles of rain and you can imagine everyone sitting in their cars waiting. Headed off for a slow 3k warm up and on way back bumped into Robinph. Quick introduction over and ready to race.

Lined up with maybe 80 – 90 people between me and the start line and set off at a nice steady pace. Was really concentrating on not going too fast with a result that I hit the first marker late, picked up a little bit of pace but second marker was late also. After the same at 3k I figured that I maybe didn’t have it in me on the day after what had happened the night before so just concentrated on running my own race and picking off the people in front of me which I fairly managed the whole way until after the 5k marker.

Approaching 5k we had to run up a gravel path, across a flyover, back on the motorway and into the wind – I died. I actually walked through the water station located just after 5k mark to try and get something back in my legs. Struggled badly from there to between 6k – 6.5k when these three guys came by my. I didn’t want to let them go, so dug in and kept pace. I know they helped me, and I think I helped them, as we kept each other going at a fair clip for the next 1.5k.

I had now refocused and had set my new target time at sub 45mins, a little bit of mental arithmetic later, I figured that we needed to be hitting 8k at 36mins if I was going to do it – the lads didn’t let me down. I got a real surge at his stage and between me speeding up and them slowing down left the three lads behind me – I was gunning for the line. Picked off another couple of guys and got passed out only once. With less than 800m to go I caught the guy who had passed me, and went by him and 2 more lads in quick succession. Unfortunately about 400 meters out he passed me again and that was how it finished. Gave a little sprint at the finished, and think I even remembered to smile as I was crossing the line :)

Exhausted, I was guided through a process whereby the organisers somehow managed to give me a medal, take my chip timer and stuff a goody bag into my hands, all the time while I was looking for somewhere to curl up!! Bumped into Krusty Clown who had ran a great race. Got tea and sandwiches, and also a goody bag full of flyers and snacks. Met Robinph again and set off on cool down run.

So, while I was aiming for a lot faster time, I’m defo happy out with sub 45 for a first time effort. Splits were 21:49 & 22:56, so actually lost less time on the second half than what I thought, but is still too big a difference to be happy with. But, finished strong, came home in the top 10% of the field and set a good target for my next 10k race. Also got good experience as was only my second running race.

Looking forward to Waterford Half next!

Well done DustyBin, that was a great time, you must be delighted!

Unfortunate what happened with the Sushi :eek: This could be added to the "what not to do the night before a race" list :D

Well done again!

Sunday 8th Nov

5.6 miles real slow

Headed out with Mrs DB for 2.5 miles C25K
    Continued after with a further 3.1 miles on my own

Both runs completed at around 10 min / mile pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well done on Crookstown after the stomach issues!!! Not sure if I would have made it to the start line after a night/morning like that.

Tuesday 10th Nov

5.7 miles Hills
    415 feet total ascent
    49:55 = 8:45 pace

Good run this morning
    Again started very slow with first mile clocking in at approx 9:30
    Didn't hit big hill until 1.7 miles
    Solid climb for approx 2 miles
    Mad downhill scramble at end (a lot steeper coming downhill nor up)

I remember someone (I think it was BeepBeep67?) talking about leaning forward slightly when running downhill - jaysus, good job I didn't meet any traffic on this one - run away DustyBin coming through!!

Tuesday 10th Nov - PM

five a side soccer - we won AND I scored a headed goal (very very rare thing in five a side just in case you didn't realise how special that is :))

Wednesday 11th Nov - AM

I failed!! I failed!!
    The alarm went off, I aimed for the snooze button, hit off instead, got woke by Mrs DB about an hour later - obviously no running this morning then
    But I am incredibly lazy naturally - it's just like a talent

Wednesday 11th Nov - PM

Circuits training tonight
    Pushed myself really hard to make up for this mornings failure to get out of the bed
    Excellent workout and I think I must still be high on the endorphines as I proof read the above gibberish!!

Thursday 12th Nov - AM

7.7 mile Tempo & Hills
    1:05:25 = 8:30 pace

Ran 3 distinct sections:
    2.4 m easy @ 8:20 pace
    2.6 m tempo @ 7:03 pace
    2.7 m hill & easy @ 10:03 pace

Really happy with the middle bit at tempo obviously, but started going backwards on the hill :rolleyes:
    Have ran this route the other way around before, but think that perhaps putting the big hill at the end might make it stand to me better?

Thursday 12th Nov - PM

2.7 miles running 25 mins = 9:16 pace
    Very nice run tonight on a new route
    We will probably do this one more often

Friday 13th Nov - AM

4.9 mile easy
    38:30 = 7:51 pace

Supposed to be a rest day today but again I missed my Wednesday run so have to make up for it
    Really good run, felt nice and in control, and stayed strong to the end
    I've a bit of a habit of slacking off on the last mile in my runs, but consciously sorted that out today, and whilst I wasn't sprinting or anything, the pace didn't drop either
    Lovely cold crisp morning - this is the kind of winter training that I think I could handle

My 'Advanced Marathoning' and 'Total Immersion' books arrived today - earlier than expected :)
    Had a quick goo at them and looking forward to getting into them now
    Maybe I can learn what all the rest of ye are talking about when you refer to specific terms in your training
    (sssh - I might even start swimming)

• Advertisement

Sunday 15th Nov

3 miles?

Spent the weekend in Kilkenny - great spot
    Mrs DB and I managed to drag ourselves down to Kilkenny Castle Sunday morning for a bit of a woddle around the grounds
    Saturday night was soccer and boxing on the telly, we were out in Kilkenny - you get the picture, but at least we did a run

Advertisement