Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Monday 16th Nov

12.5 miles easy (20 kilometers)
    1:42:02 = 8:10 pace

1-5 K 25 mins
    5-10 k 26 mins
    10-15 k 26 mins
    15-20 k 25 mins

Didn't get to do my long run at weekend, so set off last night to do it instead.
    Chose a 2.5 k stretch of road with footpath and streetlighting - fairly monotonous stuff when planning to do 20 k but was handy out for pacing.
    I set off with a target of 1h 50m, but first 5k was way too fast for this. I felt good about the pace though and decided to keep it going, and was delighted to be able to maintain such a consistent pace across what for me is a really long distance.
    I really like this route, but will try not to do too much on it as I don't want to be tempting faith with the concrete surface.
    Got lots of quizzical looks from pedestrians when I was meeting them for maybe the 4th or 5th time on the same stretch of road, but what about it?
    Learnt a lot from last nights run also in that I think it has helped toughen up the mental side of running for me. I mean that I was sorely tempted on a couple of occassions to just take a small walking break, but told myself to keep going that it would be over soon, get to the next junction, nearly at the turnaround etc, and managed the full distance with no stopping in the end - delighted. Even managed a full on sprint for the last 200 -300 meters.

Doing this a day late has messed up my weeks schedule a bit, but sure I'll get over it.

I have a target time of 1:40 in the Waterford Half, feeling good about that now after last nights run.

Tuesday 17th Nov - pm

1 hour 5 a side, we won but I didn't really play as well as I would have liked - left my shooting boots at home ?:)

Wednesday 18th Nov - am

5.7 miles hills
    53:27 = 9:23 pace
    415 ft ascent
    Not fast but happy to get my hills run in. Could barely keep my eyes open at times with the horizontal rain.

Went to see a physio last night, good news is that my knee is grand, just keep doing lots of lunges squats etc to strentghen it up (is my 'bad' knee - it's got a bit of a battering over the years).
    Also, bit of a tightness in my ITB, prescription: foam roller!!
    Gave the roller a shot this morning after my run - jaysus the pain

Also, signed up for swimming lessons today, starting next week, so have had to make a choice and drop the soccer - can't do everything I suppose

No more excuses now, have to give the swimming a good lash. Looking at the 2010 time table yesterday got me back into thinking that I really want to do an olympic tri in 2010 - helps to be able to swim
    Also looking forward to (hopefully) improving my performaces in the sprints

Wednesday 18th Nov - pm

Circuits session & then raced home for the 'Hand of frog' match

Thursday 19th Nov

Easy 5k at about 10:00 pace
    Felt good to run slower and was feeling fresh after
    Thankfully managed to get out between the worst of the weather

Friday 20th Nov
    5.6 miles total - like a tempo

did 3.1 miles about 10:00 pace
    then 2 miles at 6:42 pace
    0.5 mile cool down and a looong stretch

Tried tucking my elbows in as suggested by Howstrange and really did the trick for pulling my shoulders out of my ears! - thanks Howstrange

Sunday 22nd Nov

7.9 miles total
    supposed to be easy but turned into a tempo cos I knew the dinner would be on the table :)
    3.1 about 10:00 pace
    4 at about 6:50 pace
    0.8 cool down

again followed by a lot of long slow stretches and had a few after the first 3.1 miles as well
    feeling a lot better this week and not near as stiff as I was

Wednesday 25th Nov

6.25 miles easy
    49:27 = 7:55 pace

Felt great to get this run done this morning
    Running has been a bit sparse these past few days (did nothing Sat, Mon or Tues)
    Have done this route twice before, both times in 53:xx - so nice to see the improvement, but both those runs were over a month ago in fairness
    Targetting a 7:33 pace at Waterford

Got very little sleep last night, but think it was a combination of two things: (1) no excercise for two days, (2) the release of tri calendar for 2010 and the chance to have a proper crack at it next year - sad I know :rolleyes:
    Have bought a few small bits on Wiggle for the bike and can't wait to get cracking, also starting swimming lessons tomorrow.
    Last year I really loved the few events that I done and that was off a months worth of training, can't wait to see the difference the additional endurance will make :) (yes, as I said before - sad)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 25th Nov - pm

1.5 hours of countless calf raises
    (well that's how I dance anyway :D)

Went down to the Bell X1 gig in Wexford town last night - seriously great band
    Mrs DB B]THE BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD[/B did the driving so I got to cut loose and enjoy a few pints

Thursday 26th Nov

4 miles of hell

Had planned to do an 8 or 9 mile tempo, but just wasn't able
    Took the easy way out and decided to run up and down a 1 mile stretch of road by our house and see how many I could get in
    Coming back to the house for the second time was just too much of a temptation and bailed out after 32 mins = 8:00 pace for 4 miles
    Did blow out any after effects of last nights drinks though

I've got my first swimming lesson tonight (:) or :o ?)

Thursday 26th Nov - pm

Swimming lessons - 1 hour

Finally went out and started swimming again
    First night of lessons and felt that they went ok
    Still probably trying to rush my stroke resulting in not getting my arm properly out of the water
    Good news is that this is a 25m pool when the last one was 18m
    Also reading Total Immersion - ignore all the inner calm stuff and it actually is making lots of sense so far
    Felt good and defo a lot better than when I was swimming in Sept so my fitness must be improving with all the running
    Plan is to try and do 1 extra session on my own a week, and maybe two depending on how rest of week is going - giving me time to practice 'fish like swimming'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

Hey,

have just been reading your log and noticed your training for the celtic challenge..me too!!!

Who are you doing it with?? Tough going isn't it?

Saturday 28th Nov

14.4 miles - long
    1:52:41 = 7:50 pace

Longest run todate
    Should maybe have been a bit slower? - but then again I've not been doing that much running this week
    Felt really really good to be able to run this distance at that sort of a clip

I had my porridge just before bed last night and then cereal bar and water for breakfast set off on the run taking one gel at around 6 miles with water. Immediately felt my stomach giving out and it's not been right since. Unsure if it's due to the lack of food and the gel, or maybe I should find some other type of carb source? I feel a benefit from the gel but don't want to be thinking of my stomach on the 12th - decisions, decisions.

Anyway, felt good, pace good

Hey,

have just been reading your log and noticed your training for the celtic challenge..me too!!!

Who are you doing it with?? Tough going isn't it?

We're trying to get a team together out of Courtown
    I've noticed you posting on the Wexford forum - you must be from one of the Slaney based clubs?
    What type boat are ye using for the Celtic Challenge?
    We plan on using a traditional timber sciff

Monday 30th Nov

Went for a swim this morning
    Thought that I'd try put some of the 'Total Immersion' stuff into practice, sure why not says I when it looks so easy in the book. I'll just skip along through the drills in the first two lessons and then do a bit of that front crawl swimming where you always leave one hand in front of you - E.A.S.Y.
    Or not
    Why oh why can some people not float - and doubly so, why do I have to be one of them?
    Several aborted attempts later I decided I'd give this new technique on the front crawl a go - I did manage to make it a full length but could not exactly say that it was effortless.
    Anyway, mixed it up between my original front crawl style, this new one from Total Immersion, and more attempts to float on my back. Didn't get too many laps done (maybe 250 meters?), and didn't do my confidence a whole lot of good - but sure it can only get better I suppose.

25 mins of slowly sinking and 250 meters of trashing about with my arms

• Advertisement

Hey,

Yeah I'm with the Ferrycarrig rowing club! we are trying to get a loan of one of aberswyhts boats. Training is going really well for us at the moment!! Is it a mens team you are entering?? Have you done this before??

Monday 30th Nov - pm

45 mins of core work
    took it easy enough as didn't want to fry myself
    aim to build up intensity and # reps
    will try to detail workout in future, but was a good mix working on a range of muscles

Tuesday 1st Dec

5.7 miles - hills
    46:29 = 8:09 pace

Enjoyable run, found this route next to impossible when first started doing it, but it's getting better. Previous best time was 49:55.

Had secretly been hoping for ice so as I could make excuse not to do it!!!

Hey,

Yeah I'm with the Ferrycarrig rowing club! we are trying to get a loan of one of aberswyhts boats. Training is going really well for us at the moment!! Is it a mens team you are entering?? Have you done this before??

Any team that we get together will likely have to be mixed as we don't have massive numbers willing to commit to it
    I've never done it before although one of the lads in the club has with a different club
    We're only really on the go since early 2009, and if we manage to get a team into the Celtic Challenge it will be our first ever race :eek:

Wednesday 2nd Dec

5k at little over 10:15 pace

Disappointing night all round, Mrs DB got a very bad stitch which hasn't happened to her in a while, I was completely shattered after the first 5k when the intention had been to continue with a fast 5k on my own and so had to stop.
    We both put it down to running at dinner time on empty stomachs - learn from it I suppose.

Thursday 3rd Dec

5k run at approx 9:50 pace
    1 hours swimming lesson

A much better run allround from last nights performance. Mrs DB's last run before her first race - the Jingle Bells 5k. We're hoping for 30 mins - I reckon we'll get it

Swimming lessons were good, tried some more of that stretchy type swimming in TI - got better once I got used to the new breathing position. Instructor pointed out what everyone except me could see - I'm not relaxed enough in the water. Will try and bring pool sessions up to 3 a week for the next month or so until this swimming lark gets a bit better.

Friday 4th Dec

5 miles easy
    39:31 = 7:54 pace

has been a week of relatively low mileage so far and so really just wanted to get out and put some miles in

Pretty impressive race to be your first!!!

Best of Luck with it!!!!

Race Report - Jingle Bells 5k
    Saturday 5th Dec

This race for me was all about Mrs DB's first ever race - and it was a brilliant experience for me
    Mrs DB started C25K programme from a zero base about 2 months ago, and the target here was to get around in under 30mins - we nailed it, crossing the line in 29:15

The whole day went very well, from collecting numbers in the Donore AC club house, the nice walk to the start line, good atmosphere with other runners before the start, SO many people (>1,400 finishers) right through to the end. In fact, the only disappointment for me was when the nice lady handing out the medals at the end told me that they were for the kids and that I couldn't have one :(

Anyway, a few minutes before the hooter went to start the race, the crowd around us took a big surge forward and we ending up moving maybe 200 meters further forward, we had been standing between the sub 30 and sub 24 min signs.

Hooter went and we were off, 3 seconds later we were stopped, and eventually some 50 seconds after the hooter went we passed the start line. The first 1.5 K was spent dodging walkers and prams, once we got onto Chesterfield Avenue (?) things opened up a bit and we were able to spread out and settle down into a rythm. We needed a 6:00 min / km pace to achieve our target and hit the first km marker at 6:25, we didn't panic, and after the crowd spread out a bit we hit the 2nd km at 12:25 - still 25 secs off pace but at least we hadn't lost anymore time. We knew that we'd have to pick it up, but we were also conscious that there was still over half the race to go. At this stage the extra bit of speed combined with higher winds meant that I had to take off my reindeer antlers and carry them - shame that as they were really quite dapper!!

Continuing to pass out people and a consistent rate, and not getting passed that often ourselves we got to 3 km in 18:10, big improvement but we still had the hill out of Furry Glen to deal with. I didn't think that this would big a big problem for Mrs DB physically, as we'd done lots of running on hills, but still I thought that we might need a little in the bag when it came to it. Still overtaking people we passed the 4km marker in 23:50 - at last, we had managed to bag 10 seconds spare.

Hitting the bottom of the hill it was as if everyone in front of us just stopped, and the hardest part actually proved to be finding our way around all the slow moving bodies! The markers painted on the road proved to be a great help (800m to go, 600m to go etc). When we had a bit of free space we actually powered up the hill, over the top and then the sprint to the finish. 150 meters to go Mrs DB got a stitch but there was nothing going to stop us now and across the line in 29:15 by my watch - brilliant.

I'm still smiling :D

Km splits went like this:

1k - 6:25 - 6:25
    2k - 6:00 - 12:25
    3k - 5:45 - 18:10
    4k - 5:40 - 23:50
    5k - 5:25 - 29:15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What is it about board members and costumes, did a Batman, Robin or a Rabbit pass you at any stage or two lads carrying balloons????

Well done on the race, a very proud moment for Mrs Dusty I would bet, next step for her is a sub 60 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done to you both! I'd say Mrs Dusty Bin is now hooked on this running lark :D

Great stuff, well done!

Monday 7th Dec

Couldn't exactly call it swimming, but I did splash about in the pool for 50 mins
    These drills look so easy in the book

Tuesday 8th Dec

4.5 mile - hilly
    34:00 = 7:33 pace

Had planned for a 10 miler but suffered from a severe bout of 'stucktothematressitis'. Anyway, lazy start was rewarded with a quick spin over some hills on a route that I haven't ran in a while. 37:58 was my previous fastest here.

Running has really been very haphazard of late, due to a combination of both increased pool sessions, and also real life having to happen.

Had stood in for one of the lads at 5 a side Friday night and picked up a kicked ankle for myself, flared up a little over the final mile today but I reckon will be grand.

Really looking forward to Saturday in Waterford, had not planned to be tapering as much as has turned out over the past week and a half. Hopefully another couple of runs this week will see me in good shape to give it a real lash.

@ RubyK & catweazle, yeah Mrs DB is hooked alright, got a flyer for the Great Ireland 10k after Saturdays race and it certainly sparked an interest

Tuesday 8th Dec - pm

8.1 miles total

3.1 m @ approx 10:00 pace
    & 5 m = 37:48 mins = 7:34 pace

Very happy with this run as the second part was same pace as the morning, and both runs were at my planned pace for Saturday.
    I don't have a Garmin or Polar or anything, so this type of pace seems to be my new norm? (just an Aldi stopwatch for me)

I missed my marker at 4 miles, but the first three miles went: 7:25, 7:20 & 7:30, the 4th mile felt slow and the final mile felt fast again. (4th mile was up a long easy hill)

Feel that this goes someway to making up for not getting out of bed in time to do my planned 10 miles Tuesday morning.

Missed the planned pool session this morning due to the joys of having 2 little dogs that some mornings take up a whole lot more time than other mornings :rolleyes:
    (I promise that I did actually manage to get up in time this morning - honestly)

• Advertisement

Thursday 10th Dec

1 hours swimming lessons

Still not getting any of the 'do this, don't do that' type stuff from the instructor, just let do our own thing over and back, any questions we have ask, then go for it.

Anyway, had some form of a moment of clarity when I realised that just because swimming looks like it's so easy for the really good people, doesn't mean that I've any God given right for it to immediately be easy on me. Suck it up, put the head down, and keep swimming!! Surely it will get easier with time & practice?

That's it now until the Waterford Half tomorrow. Have got very little running done over the past 2 weeks and I hope that will mean that I'm fresh rather than not ready. It was certainly never the intention to have this kind of a taper, just kinda worked out that way. I feel ready, and feel good about my target time of 1:40.

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

DustyBin wrote: »
    That's it now until the Waterford Half tomorrow. Have got very little running done over the past 2 weeks and I hope that will mean that I'm fresh rather than not ready. It was certainly never the intention to have this kind of a taper, just kinda worked out that way. I feel ready, and feel good about my target time of 1:40.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck in the half DB, your long runs have been good, sub 100 minutes should be within reach. :)

Waterford AC Half Marathon - Race report
    Saturday 12th Dec

13.1 miles in 1:36:52 - yee hah!!!

Set out my stall at 1:40 for what was my first shot at this distance and am delighted with the result.

Weather was great; overcast, dry, no wind, and cool temps. Start was on time, course well marked out, and excellently marshalled, 3 drinks stations practically pleading for us to take water from them (the young kids with the water did a great job).

Got myself up to within about 25 feet of the start line - packed in like sardines, gun went off and there was about 1/4 mile of mayhem as people mounted grass verges and footpaths in an effort not to lose time. Very helpful guy at the first mile marker calling out the time as people went by - 7:15 for me, had been aiming for 7:38. No fancy garmin or polar to tell me how I was doing pace wise and found I had gained some more time by the 2nd mile. Levelled out a bit for a while then, but was still about 1:15 to the good coming up on the 6 mile mark. Got chatting to a guy with a garmin 405 then who told me we were doing 7:33 pace, meant to keep going with him for a while longer but kinda picked up speed on the downhill coming up to the turnaround and kept going. My hamstrings gave me a bit of a reminder that they existed at around 9 1/2 miles, entered a world of pain and isolation at about 10 1/2 miles. Hit the 11 mile marker 2 mins up and started to feel good again. Tried to reign in the speed at the 12 mile mark, hit the roundabout turning back to the finish at maybe 12 1/2 and gave it socks from there until entering the stadium. Coming onto the track I knew my target was definitely safe (knew from 11 miles tbh) and really let it rip. Pinned back the ears, turned on the afterburners, and flew up the track passing approx 20 people on the final spurt on the track(why weren't they sprinting I wondered? - was it bad manners? - who cares, I'm nearly there).

Burst across the line, right fist in the air, I'd done it.

Roll on the next race.

Also, Waterford AC organised a fantastic race with a €20 entry - why can't other races be this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done dusty thats a great time for your first effort, you can target sub 1.30 in 2010 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done Dusty Bin, that's some achievement! A great end to 2009 :D

Thanks catweazle & RubyK

@ catweazle I've set out a goal of 1:30 half, 40 min 10k & 3:15 full marathon for 2010 - need to work a bit harder for those I reckon

@ RubyK I might just see you in Dungarvan, haven't made my mind up yet, but am very tempted. Just need to see what other races I'm doing around then

Wednesday 16th Dec

Swimming

Managed 350 meters this morning, not fantastic but I think that it seems to be getting better. Was very tired for the last 75 meters.

Thats 14 x 25 meters with rest periods between each, not some masterful 1 x 350 meters non stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

super half marathon time! well under your goal! i ll have to watch my back!

you name the place and I'll be there!!
    What say you make your way down to the MySport 10k in Feb and we can have a good old fashioned run off? :D
    You seem to be regaining your speed pretty quick there so I guess that doesn't bode well for me

• Advertisement

DustyBin wrote: »
    I'm going to do the Waterford half marathon Dec 2009 & the Connemara Full Apr 2010 - there, I've said it!!
    (Oh, and I'm also going to learn how to swim!!)...

Waterford Half? - done
    Learn to swim? - on the way
    Connemarathon? - not gonna happen this year :mad:

Friends getting married - great, same day as Connemarathon - oh well

Guess I'll just have to think of it as free entry to the 2011 race

Obviously looking for another marathon to run, and preference is to keep it Irish.
    Limerick and Belfast are both on the same weekend we're supposed to be rowing across the Irish Sea (hopefully)

So that leave's Cork, only problem is that it is 2 days after the Snow Patrol concert in Bangor - reckon should not really be a problem.

Advertisement