Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck today DustyBin, you've been putting in the miles so deserve a great run :D Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Dungarvan 10 miler - Race Report
    Sunday 31st Jan

69:25!!!:D
    Cannot believe it - over the moon with that result
    I'd been thinking I could get in and around 72 - 73 mins, but 70 was a real stretch for me (ran Waterford Half in Dec with a 7:24 average pace). Nonetheless, I was determined to give 70 mins a real shot.

Lined up at the start, full of nervous energy bursting to get going and shot out into a pace close to 5:25 min miles :eek: Got myself in order, but it was a tough effort to slow down with all the excitement.

Clocked 6:58, 6:47, 6:54 & 6:54 to get to mile 4 and Showry. Started to struggle after this, and thought that I'd definitely gone off too fast and sure maybe I could still hold on and get myself 72 - 73 mins. Through the water station clocking 7:03 for mile 5. Real struggle now to hold onto the pace but sure I had to keep trying. Miles 6, 7 & 8 went by in 6:56, 6:51, & 7:01. I fell in with another runner at the water station at mile 7 and running together he really helped get to about 8.5 miles in decent time (thanks Lar) but I had to let him go heading up that hill. Finished mile 9 with a 7:12, then heading into a fairly strong wind for the final mile I managed to overtake Lar again with a 6:50 mile 10 and a finishing time I had only dreamed of.

Met Showry before the race, and eliwallach afterwards. Showry done a sterling job on the sambos whilst eliwallach wore his boards singlet to make things easier!

Stuffed myself afterwards, deciding I'd have to test all of Showry's sambo's, and I also needed 2 slices of brack just to be sure village runner was right about it being the best (he was & it is). 2 tempting looking slices of madeira rounded things off nicely!

Great race, very well organised, will hope to be back.

10 miles
    1:09:25 = 6:57 pace
    165 avg hr

(1 mile warmup - but nothing in the legs to warm down)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

super runnning yourself, great to get under the 70 and very consistent pacing throughout. your flying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great run DB, well done sham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done Dusty...great to push the boundaries out and achieve something you thought was out of your reach...well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Nice time Dusty.
    Must feel good to break 70min :(;).

Was a bit distracted with the kids yesterday, but nice to put a face to the username.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great running Dusty you are putting in some excellent times, if you can get the swimming nailed down you will be appearing up at the front of the tri's. Although with those times it will be enjoyable for you to go past a lot of people in the run.

Have you done a 5k yet this year, you will have to be running sub 20 there almost handily at this stage the way you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow DustyBin, that's a fantastic time :eek: You must be delighted!! All that hard work paid off for you!

Brilliant stuff!

Thanks for all the nice words

@ eliwallach, likewise - good to put a face to the name, and thanks for wearing your boards top, makes life a lot easier. Not like when I had to ask Showry before the race 'Em, sorry, but do you post on boards??' - thankfully he said yes :cool:

@ catweazle, thanks but I think perhaps your over-egging it there a bit talking about the front of the tri's!! If I can get up the field a bit in a few duathlons I'd be delighted, but haven't been on my bike since September. Ran the Jingle Bells 5k pacing Mrs DB - my only 5k to date. Doing the MySport 10k in 2 weeks - bit of a race-off with kennyb planned for that one ;)

DustyBin wrote: »
    Doing the MySport 10k in 2 weeks - bit of a race-off with kennyb planned for that one ;)

God i was having a bit of friendly banter now im worried - no pressure on me so. thanks DB:D

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    God i was having a bit of friendly banter now im worried - no pressure on me so. thanks DB:D

No pressure, like you said just a bit of craic

Decided to switch to metric units, so here goes...

Monday 1st Feb

Run
    8 KM
    50:11 = 6:18 min/km pace (or 10:09 in old money)
    130 avg hr

Bit of a woddle around town to work out yesterdays run, legs were very heavy.
    Covered almost 5 km on concrete footpaths and could feel the difference on tired legs.

Tuesday 2nd Feb

Run
    7.7km
    approx 5:07 min / km
    Don't have full stats now - will edit later

Another gentle run to keep the legs turning over, felt fresher & better after the run and especially after the 10 mins stretching that followed. Got soaked in a few of the new council swimming pools that pass as potholes as well.

Wednesday 3rd Feb

Swim

500 metres (400 f/c, 100 b/s)
    approx 30 mins

A really horrible swim this morning, coordination all over the shop, everthing felt really laboured, I just didn't want to be there after the first 100 meters. Was so bad I left to go into work early!!

Set out and did 100 f/c ok. Followed up with 100 b/s (was tougher than it should have been) to keep me moving and give lungs a little rest. Then just fell apart? Was a real slog to get to the 500m, but had been looking for 800m - 900m.

Very disappointing morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey be easy on yourself there dude that fantastic run, as great as you felt nailing it like that, needs recovery time. Probably wise to bin the swim session if it was that bad and you were getting nothing from it. Sessions must have a purpose or they are just junk and the junk tiresd you out for the more important stuff.

Excellent run on Sunday, well done on that!

Wednesday 3rd Feb - pm

Run
    11.3 k
    1:05:49 = 5:48 /k pace
    136 avg hr

Local Fit4Life group started up so is good to have decent excuse to go out and run in the evenings.
    Met up with some of the lads and did our own short run (25 mins) before hand and then came back in time to meet up with the Fit4Life group and went out again.

Thursday 4th Feb

Cycle!!!
    29.4 k
    1:12:12 = 24.4 kmph avg
    129 avg hr

Yes, your eye's are not deceiving you, I did actually make it out the door for my first cycle since September!!
    Fitted lights last night, and really needed them this morning. Out the door at 6:45am, had to take it easy going down our road making sure not to hit any potholes in the dark. Was able to pick up the speed a bit after that, but had to wait until the main road to get the best out of it.
    Pissing rain, cold & dark - it felt great :D
    May get out a bit earlier in future though as I was cutting it fine at the other end trying to get out the door to work.
    Haven't got around to fitting my computer yet, so will hopefully have cadence stats in future.

Thursday 4th Feb - pm

Swim
    1,000 meters (700 f/c, 200 brst, 100 back)
    approx 50 mins

Much better session, felt quite strong on the f/c, do need to follow catweazle's advice and get some leg drills going. Feel that the shoulders and chest are now much better, and form has improved a lot, but they're still dragging my hips and legs through the water. Did pay better attention to my kick this evening but needs work.

Found myself sinking a fair bit between breaths on the breast stroke.

Form on back stroke is horrible, but not too worried about this.

Saturday 6th Feb

Run
    21.31 km
    1:51:56 = 5:15 pace
    142 avg hr

Nice run today with plenty of hills thrown in.
    Went with some of the lads and got out dead early to avoid sharing the roads with too much traffic.
    Legs felt a bit heavier than they should have done when we were not even half way round, but lads were the same so must be a residue of last weekends race?
    Anyway, legs cleared out after that and finished the run feeling very strong and could have kept going for another few miles anyway.
    Early start (7:30) meant that there was no way I was gonna get up an hour and a half earlier to have brekkie, so took care of everything last night by hydrating very well and also getting my porridge just before I went to bed. Seemed to do the trick as I was starving with the hunger after the run alright, but I was definitely not running on empty and still had energy afterwards.

Saturday 6th Feb - pm

Cycle

Short slow trundle out in the evening helped to clear out the legs from the mornings run

Wednesday 10th Feb

Run
    45:29 = 4:44/k pace
    144 avg hr

After an enforced layoff from training for a few days it was great to be able to get out again.
    I found myself with some self doubt before heading out this morning which is just plain silly cos I was out runnning over twice this distance on Saturday:rolleyes:
    Anyway, nice to be back, feeling my left hamstring a little bit alright though - hopefully will go away later today.
    Always seems that I get these untypical tapers before races??

Thursday 11th Feb

Cycle
    1:18:31 = 24 k/h
    120 avg hr

Out in the dark again this morning - cold but dry.
    Took mostly the same route as last week. Did the outbound bit at little over 26 k/h avg, but must have got lazy on the return to drop to 24k/h overall avg.
    I had taken maybe 3 sips from the water on the way out, but after I turned back for home and about 40 mins into it tried again but only a dribble coming out as though there was dirt in the nozzle. Put the bottle down and thought no more of it until I got home and found a big lump of ice floating in the water, and the nozzle frozen solid. Didn't think it could do that in 40 mins.
    Looking forward the a bit of warmer weather appearing from somewhere

• Advertisement

Its like a plane Dusty, you were travelling so fast on the bike the tempeture drops to well under -40.

Fair play to you though, I have yet to venture outside this year let alone at all hours of the morning

Looking forward to the warmer weather myself but even more importantly less wind for running and cycling. can only admire you tri guys with the amount of different sessions you have to fit into a week and between trying to get out cycling in the winter and getting to the pool in the mornings i dont envy you's. Im a warm weather cyclist myself, i ll do some duathlons in the summer!

Catweazle I'm sure your missing an aul :) or ;) or something up there

I was like a child though afterwards showing off to Mrs DB how cold it was on the cycle.
    I don't have a turbo so no choice about having to get out into it then.

After lots of farting about I finally bought those fins you recommended yesterday so hoping to see improvement in my kick

Kennyb, don't be calling me a 'tri guy', lads like catweazle might be getting offended. Strictly sprints and duathlons only, though maybe an olympic at the end of the season if the swimming comes good. Are you going to dip your toe into the tri-water this year?

DustyBin wrote: »
    Are you going to dip your toe into the tri-water this year?

Maybe the following year. to be honest im a useless swimmer and dont have the time for it. Im barely managing to fit in 30miles a week running. cycling i can do to work in the summer and a little at the weekend. but i would have to sacrifice running for some swimming which i just wont do - i love running and i want to see how good i can be. if i get bored with it tho you never know

Good man getting out on the bike! It has been cold alright the last few mornings.

At least doing pre work sessions gets them out of the way and you feel good about yourself in the morning... until the 4pm slump hits that is.... :rolleyes:

I'm loving the early morning stuff, lets me get out for guilt free training and evenings free to spend with Mrs DB, also not having to worry about juggling dinner, training, telly (Sky+ is the business)

I have these cycling shoes with lots of aeration - great for the summer, crap for cold weather. Bought a cheap pair of Altura overshoes (since discontinued) on wiggle for €16 - does the job

Good man, I need to practice what I preach, my wife has borrowed (Commandeered) my fins for about the last month. She does wax lyrical about them so I let her off, anything that gets her back into doing a few tris this year I can live with as I will get the benefit in the long run

She still hates the bike though, so hopefully when the weather improves and I introduce a bit of romance into the cycle, weekend away somewhere scenic with a leisurely cycle thrown in maybe?

catweazle wrote: »
    .... so hopefully when the weather improves and I introduce a bit of romance into the cycle....

Nothing like ridin' on your bike for that :D

couldn't resist

Hmmm, catweazle's romantic cycling break??
    I'm trying to picture it but the only thing that comes to mind is La Marmotte

profile.gif

• Advertisement

:D Christ I was more thinking of Westport

Advertisement