Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jebus, you are really packing in those miles Dusty! Great stuff! You seem to have gotten over the * fear no bother!

*perfect description for the hangover horrors. Terrible sufferings they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

kennyb3 wrote: »
    My god i was just thinking the exact opposite this morning, did an early run for 1st time in ages and wont be repeating - way too much effort. really hated it.

oh and btw i think you were right to call it quits at that stage anyway. going from week off to 30k run within 3/4 runs back after a week off and you were sick bit before that is bonkers. dont force it. i did exact same after half marathon in sept last year - felt i hadnt enough long runs - did 17m 2 days after half and you can guess i got injured.

be careful about how much you up your runs and scheduling them.

Yeah my scheduling of runs has been all over the place this past few weeks, but it's because the weekends have been a total w/o, and will be the same for the next two weekends as well - stag party this weekend, and wedding the weekend after. Tough going but someone has to do it :D
    Joking aside, I've found it really hard to know what to be doing, like I mean easy / tempo / long / strides / what? I'm loosely following the P&D advanced marathoning up to 55 miles 18 week programme, but it is very loose. And I know, picking up the advanced book for my first marathon attempt might be pushing it a bit, but I like to understand the reasons behind different types of runs, and also want to give it my best shot from the start - sure maybe right maybe wrong?
    I'm not overly concerned about the distance of last night tbh, like I've gone further several times before, and I've also still got lots of time till Cork. The recent double bout of illness was a wake up call alright and I'm looking after myself better this weather. I'm totally sure that if last nights run had of been in the daylight, or even in the dark on the flat, I would have got the 30k done no bother. Just started a lot later than I wanted to and I got really cold at the end.

RubyK wrote: »
    Jebus, you are really packing in those miles Dusty! Great stuff! You seem to have gotten over the * fear no bother!

*perfect description for the hangover horrors. Terrible sufferings they are!

Thanks Ruby, your not shy of the mileage yourself. Yeah a couple of friends of ours started calling it the fear and it's just perfect to describe the really awful hangovers people get sometimes.
    Keep up the work and you'll do Wexford Half no bother, I read recently that you had doubts about being able to do it, but you're well able!

Race Report - Aliveoutside Aquathlon Greystones
    Friday 2nd Apr

What a disaster of a swim!!
    With 2 full weeks of training missed in March through illness, the rest of the month was spent out running (Cork marathon), leaving me with no swimming in a month. Had thought about not bothering to go up, but not having done a pool based race before thought I'd go for the experience if nothing else.

Got to the centre, and on way into register met mloc, only chatted very briefly, wished each other luck and continued on to registration - seems like a very genuine guy.

I was in wave 5 of 5 so long wait at poolside watching the rest of the swimmers off. Wave 1 went through like a group of swimming machines - great to watch. Was interested to see the whole ankle tap thing, when it worked and also when it didn't. Wave 2 saw mloc into the pool, nice group finish from his lane, with all swimmers finishing right on top of each others ankles.

Came to our wave and like a big eejit I decided to take a 50 meter warmup. Set off at the back of the lane and was really frustrated and how much I was getting held up for the first 4/5 lengths. After that I was shagged - hanging off the wall at each end, dreading the next length. Pool started emptying, only a few people left now. On the 13 or 14 length I told myself to forget about triathlons - I just can't swim!! The guy that was 2nd last got out of the pool 4 lengths & 4 minutes ahead of me. I flopped out of the pool, clapped on by a great bunch of people who hung back to see me out.

Got through transition and on my way out on the run met mloc again this time clapping me on (thanks). Didn't take the garmin, there were no markers out, and the nearest person was 4 minutes ahead of me so pacing was really hard - I just ran. Met a guy & girl running back who I thought I recognised from the wave ahead of us - prayed I was right as it meant I'd finish ahead of them barring a terrible run. Out and back course uphill for first half. Picked up the effort on the way back, and although I didn't pass anyone out, I did close to within 30 seconds of the guy in front of me.

Happy I did it in the end, managed to keep off the bottom (third last), and learned a few things about a pool based race. Need more swimming, but even more so reckon a few proper lessons wouldn't go astray.

550 meter swim
    5k run
    44:09

Edit: Still gonna keep on tri-ing

Tuesday 6th Apr

Run - hills
    1:09:42 = 4:57/k pace
    no hrm

One of those great runs that come round now and again, just felt great throughout and after. This has recently become my favourite run, with a slow drag leading up to a massive lump of a hill at the first k, continuing to climb until 3k and beautiful views as you run across the top, and then down to climb the next hill, great views of a local village as you run down onto the main street before heading back out into the countryside for another big climb and back down to a flat 1.5k to finish.

Didn't take my hrm today, and of course now I'd really like to see what it took out of me :rolleyes:

Stag party on the weekend just gone took it out of me for a couple of days, but felt great to get out running again. We've a wedding this weekend coming, and then that's it for the social interruptions until Cork - hope to get things back on track pretty soon and start back into the high mileage and the tempo runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good man Dusty, I was checking the results alright for a guy with a slow swim and a flying run. I might be the exception but I prefer the open water swims than to the pool, the wetsuits are great for added bouyancy. From the sounds of the 1st few lengths you arent that bad a swimmer but just arent swimfit, if you can get in more swimming the stamina will come.

You are flying in the running, it is looking like you or n-dawg to go green next, between tapering and recovery myself and Redb are going to fall back soon

• Advertisement

Thanks catweazle
    Yeah I've been telling myself that the sea swims are easier with the salt and wetsuit combined - still doesn't make the prospect of an olympic distance o/w swim any more appealing, might have to give that a skip for this year, I'll see how it goes.
    Not so sure about going green on the running though, I mean you're a long long way ahead of me as it is. It's a good target to try get ahead of you over the next month or so - it's on :D

Wednesday 7th April

Swim
    600 meters (200 breast, 400 f/c)

So I decided I'd better get back on the horse asap. Left the board and the fins behind, just wanted to swim a bit. Decided on nothing fancy, 100m breast stroke to warm up, then fell into doing repeats of 50m front crawl. Tried to slow down as much as I could on the f/c, and waited a good length at the wall between. Really wanted to concentrate on getting them done, and on doing 50m each time nice and slow. Same difficulty as always - going too fast without realising. Got it under control only to find that as I started getting a little tired the first thing I did was speed up again :mad: It's like I'm afraid of sinking and want it to be over quick as I can!
    Anyway, had to get to work early today, so wrapped it up after 8 reps, and set out on a 100 breast stroke cool down, except I was trying to see how many times I could pass the woman in the pool beside me so ended up anything but cooling down :rolleyes:

Felt better having got this done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Good to meet you, briefy, on Friday. I was in a world of my own hanging around the registration area. My first tri swim last year was in May and was not pretty, not that my cureent swimming is :D But I got through another 6/7 after that. Just stick at it... the wetsuit makes it much easier.

Wednesday 7th Apr - pm

Run
    2:08:54 = 5:47/k pace
    136 avg hr

Between hard run Tuesday evening and swim Wednesday morning, the legs were heavy enough for this. Flew around on first 10k, started to struggle a bit coming up to 15k before running that out again. Met my father in law about 19 k and walked with him for .5k (left watch running).
    Took 1 gel, but prob didn't need it.
    Good to have got it done and it put me back above Redb in the S/C/R challenge :D
    Just gotta go catch catweazle now

mloc123 wrote: »
    Good to meet you, briefy, on Friday. I was in a world of my own hanging around the registration area. My first tri swim last year was in May and was not pretty, not that my cureent swimming is :D But I got through another 6/7 after that. Just stick at it... the wetsuit makes it much easier.

Thanks for the encouragement mloc
    Signed up for the Bunclody Tri (pool) yesterday, am gonna do the Eireman-X off road (sea) as well, and we'll see about another few sprints - not giving up yet.

Your swimming looked fair impressive from where I was looking the other day. It must have been very frustrating when those others passed you out only to slow down again and hold you up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Check out the carrick on suir sprint too, good athmosphere and a nice route. Swim is down stream river. It was my own fault for getting held up, should have had the confidence to stay out front.

Thanks mloc, had a look there now and between downriver swim and location it looks ideal for me, only problem is the date
    Was looking at holiday dates with Mrs DB last night and might be away that weekend - nothing booked yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

DustyBin wrote: »
    Good to have got it done and it put me back above Redb in the S/C/R challenge :D
    Just gotta go catch catweazle now

Its a long time until December 31st buddy :D!! Just wait until I find my bike!

Athlone although it is a big commercial race, I enjoyed it last year. The swim is particularly easy, my first open water swim and I got a few bangs and got stuck behind someone as well and hadnt the confidence to swim over him. I was very disappointed with my swim but was astonished when I came out of the water in 12 minutes. The downstream current is fantastic, I could have floated down in 15 minutes

I swam Brian Boru the following month and it was by far my best swim last year, no bumps, good rhythm and even picked up the pace near the end and still came out of the water in 15 minutes.

So pick an easy confidence builder for your next one, make it a sprint and wait till late august/september for an Olympic attempt

RedB wrote: »
    Its a long time until December 31st buddy :D!! Just wait until I find my bike!

I meant the run part of the challenge, small chance of me catching up with you overall, let alone beat you.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Athlone although it is a big commercial race, I enjoyed it last year. The swim is particularly easy, my first open water swim and I got a few bangs and got stuck behind someone as well and hadnt the confidence to swim over him. I was very disappointed with my swim but was astonished when I came out of the water in 12 minutes. The downstream current is fantastic, I could have floated down in 15 minutes

I swam Brian Boru the following month and it was by far my best swim last year, no bumps, good rhythm and even picked up the pace near the end and still came out of the water in 15 minutes.

So pick an easy confidence builder for your next one, make it a sprint and wait till late august/september for an Olympic attempt

Thanks for the suggestions. Athlone might work depending on how the holidays fall, could be a case of either that or carrick on suir. The Brian Boru Tri might be a bit far away for me - we'll see.

I'm liking the sounds of a downstream river swim though :)

Friday 9th Apr - am

Run - LT
    2k wu @ 5:36/k pace - 134 avg hr
    8.05k LT @ 4.22/k pace - 152 avg hr
    5.86k cd @ 6:02/k pace - 145 avg hr

Plan called for 16k with 10k at pace. Having set a target of sub 1:30 for the Kildare half I decided to try and run this at 4:16/k pace. All was going fairly grand until about 4k into tempo bit when I got hit with an awful pain in my chest (stitch I think), stopped for 20 secs and it passed. Gradually picked up the speed again and was hitting my target once more until I started to struggle between 7k - 7.5k. Got to 8k and knowing the last 2k where uphill I decided discretion was the better part of valour and hit the watch. Shuffling out the rest of the run I realised just how far up the hill (not steep) the last 2k would have taken me and was happy out - really would have been just thrashing myself. Next time doing an LT I'll run this route as an out-and-back rather than a loop.
    So slightly undercooked the pace and missed the LT distance by 2k, but still happy enough.

Saturday 10th Apr - am

Run - easy
    1:55:37 = 5:45/k pace
    133 avg hr

Met up with the lads for the first time in weeks. Nice steady rhythm, good stream of chat and banter - makes a nice change to have the company now and again.
    The others are in wind down mode for their marathon in 2 weeks and I've a wedding today so the distance was perfect.
    Off now to gorge on fine food and plenty of beer for the rest of the day, no doubt I'll be telling anyone who listens that I 'could have been in connemara' tomorrow instead :D(joke bride and groom if you happen to see this)
    Looking forward to getting back into the long runs from next weekend hopefully.
    Noticed my left calf at me again today (same yesterday) hopefully will have cleared up over weekend, also a bit of tightness in left quad.

DustyBin wrote: »
    The Brian Boru Tri might be a bit far away for me - we'll see.

Ah no i was using Brian Boru as an example of how much easier the swim is in Athlone. If I had replicated my Brian Boru swim in Athlone I would have swam it in 10.xx. Brian Boru was by far the toughest sprint I did last year, the bike and run were very hard.

Athlone would suit you with the downstream swim, it was a change to take part in such a big event with so many competitiors as well. Certainly well worth doing once for the experience

Monday 12th Apr - am

Run - Easy
    51:28 = 5:15/k pace
    no hrm

Grand easy run to get the week started. Nothing unusual other than still a bit of tightness in the left calf and I seem to be pulling on one side when I'm running, like I need to get my tracking fixed :confused: Probably just imagining it, will see if it continues.

Tuesday 13th Apr - pm

Run - LT

19.74k total in 1:34:38

3.41k wu @ 4:52/k - 141 avg hr
    11k LT @ 4:19/k - 156 avg hr
    5.33k cd @ 5:44/k - 140 avg hr

I think this is the last LT session before Cork, so happy out to have nailed it. The LT bit was obviously very tough - it's meant to be. Took my own advice from the last day and ran the same route again except as an out and back rather than a loop. Decided to run until 6.5k of LT and then turn for the final 4.5k.
    Was dead chuffed with how I was motoring along on the first bit of the LT and the pace I managed to maintain. Got to the turnaround point and got creamed by a wind I hadn't noticed at my back. I was on a long straight section of main road at this stage, and still 3.5k at LT before turning off again. This bit was really tough, wind seemed a lot stronger than it probably was, and it took a lot of willpower and no little effort to increase the effort in order to maintain pace. Managed to get it done anyway and had to stop for a 10 sec breather before starting the 5k shuffle home.
    I noticed today that if I'm cruising along with no real time target I tend to focus right out and think of anything but the running, just zoning back every now and then to check on posture, breathing, whatever. But if I've a target liek today or in a race, I'm constantly checking the garmin (at least every 10 sec), adjusting pace up or down accordingly, worrying about my shoulders being too high, my hands too high, etc, etc. It struck me that this might not be a good approach to the marathon, as it may take a lot of energy from me - but it seems to have worked in most of the races since I got the garmin??

• Advertisement

Wednesday 14th Apr

Swim
    700m (200m breast, 500m f/c)

1 x 100m breast wu
    10 x 50m f/c
    1 x 100m breast cd

Struggeld a bit in the middle of the f/c sets, but recovered a bit towards the end to finish strong enough. Caught for time to get to work.

Thursday 15th Apr - am

Run
    52:31 = 5:15/k

Nice easy straight forward 10k over a slightly lumpy course. Copped a trio of terriers come tearing out of a driveway after me, went past the gate, hide behind the hedge and waited for the runts. When they came around the corner throwing up stones I ran at the first one and threw a kick with everything I had!!
    Don't worry, missed the dog and just got a whole load of air, but really scared the sh1te out of the little fecker, he let a yelp and ran back into the drive taking the other two with him :D
    The last dog I threw shapes at now doesn't come out after me any more, so fingers crossed these little yokes have learned their lesson.

Friday 16th Apr - am

Run
    26:10 = 5:06/k

With the Ballycarney 5 miler tonight I remembered something tergat had posted before about a morning run being good to loosen up the limbs for a tough session in the evening. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was soon to learn that they don't come much tougher than a 5 mile race :eek:

Ballycarney 5 miler - race report
    Fri 16th Apr - pm

What fantastic value - €3!!!
    Only disappointed that there were no drink stations, no free technical tops, no free gels, and there was no chip timing :rolleyes:
    Fair play to Slaney Olympic, accurately measured course and well organised.

My target for the race was to go sub 32 if I could - or calf trying. Starter sent us off and like normal I went out waaay too quick, found myself in 4th place and a quick glance at the watch showed me touching 3:00/k pace. I let a few guys pass me as I tried my best to slow down and struggled to bring it back to 3:30/k, I knew I had to get closer to 4:00/k, but my legs wanted to catch the guys in front of me. Eventually got the speed down and another couple of fellas got past, and that's how it stayed. No-one passed me, nor did I pass anyone again in the race after that.
    I had two guys on my shoulder at this point, one of whom dropped off quick enough, but there was no shaking the other guy. The pace was relentless, and even by the 1 mile marker I was thinking 'only 4/5ths left'.

It was an out and back course, with a small loop at the furthest point. Somehow it managed to be slightly uphill on the way out and flat on the way back, or at least that's how it felt.

Anyway, around the 3 mile point we turned onto a downhill section of gravely kinda laneway. Opened up the legs, took off the handbrake and really kicked high at this bit, managed to finally lose the guy on my shoulder and opened a fair gap on him that thankfully he didn't manage to close cos I really started to struggle on the last mile.

A lonely run over the last 2 miles, no one on my shoulder, and not a hope of catching the guys in front, even though it was only about 50 or 60 meters to them.

I was in a world of pain at this stage but knew I was good for the sub 32 if I could only keep putting one foot in front of the other. Finally the finish line came into site and I fell over for a 31:49 and a big smile :D
    God did it hurt though

Warm up and cool down was about 3.5k combined.

Saturday 17th Apr - am

Run - long
    2hr 26 min -ish

Bloody garmin packed it in after this run, so working from memory on this one, but certain of the distance.
    After the race the night before the legs felt surprisingly good at the start, but got very heavy after approx 5 miles. The lads are heading for their marathon next weekend if flights are on, so they were only out on a 10 mile loop, so I went with them and then repeated on my own.
    Felt good for the run, got very tired from about 22k through to 26k. Decided to try a few k's at PMP, so hit the 28k with a 4:51, 29k & 30k both bang on 4:42, and pushed through a 4:31 for the final kilometer, with half a kilometer to shuffle to the car.
    Took two gels.

Legs were sore after this.

Sunday 18th April - am

Swim
    800 meters (800 f/c)

Met up with secman at the pool this morning after he very kindly offered some of his time during the week. Thanks secman. Really nice guy, who didn't appear to mind me ruining his planned morning swim.
    Started out with a few single lengths before moving onto doubles. Secman pointed out a couple of things that I should try doing differently and encouraged me on to try 75m. Got through several of these before finishing off with two 100m swims.
    Secman had lots of patience, and gave me loads of great advice, including some ideas for what I should try doing with drills.
    Starting out with a spluttery 50m and finishing up the end of the session with a calm 100m and feeling like more - great result. Looking forward to getting down to the pool next time. Thanks again secman.

Monday 19th Apr - am

Run - hills
    1:26:19 = 5:20/k
    137 avg hr

Took my 14k hilly route this morning, but with catweazle so close ahead of me on the s/c/r running table I couldn't leave it at that, so ran past the house to tack on an extra 2k :D Am basking in the warm glow of 2nd place now until either catweazle or RedB come on to post their weekend runs.
    Legs felt tired again this morning leaving the house, and the first hill was very slow. But funny enough the legs felt fresh after this hill, and I went flying down the other side and up the next hill.

Feeling really good about Cork at the minute, but need to get a few PMP runs in I think, will be doing lsr on my tod this w/e so look forward to giving it a lash :rolleyes: Just gotta find a nice flat route now is all.

Good man Dusty, while RedB might get back at you I wont I am afraid. Had to make up for long cycle on saturday by going out with Mrs C that night.

Terrible hangover sunday so all plans of a brick session with the bike went out the window under a cloud of depression and self loathing and pity.

Will have to check the boot of the car and see if the spare runners are still there, might cancel my planned lunchtime swim for a run instead if they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thats a good weekends activity there Dusty between the race, LSR with PMP and the confidence building swim, good for you.

What sort of drills was secman suggesting? If I may.

catweazle wrote: »
    Good man Dusty, while RedB might get back at you I wont I am afraid. Had to make up for long cycle on saturday by going out with Mrs C that night.

Terrible hangover sunday so all plans of a brick session with the bike went out the window under a cloud of depression and self loathing and pity.

Will have to check the boot of the car and see if the spare runners are still there, might cancel my planned lunchtime swim for a run instead if they are ;)

Glad to see you went to the pool after all :pac:
    I hope Mrs C appreciates the big sacrifice you made over the weekned there :rolleyes:

Macanri wrote: »
    Thats a good weekends activity there Dusty between the race, LSR with PMP and the confidence building swim, good for you.

What sort of drills was secman suggesting? If I may.

Thanks Macanri
    Talked about keeping it simple, do them in the middle or towards the end of a session, one armed stroke with kickboard, and also catchup to help slow everything down

• Advertisement

Runners were there alright but no shorts and I wasnt desperate enough to be on the treadmill in speedos. I knew I was kissing that 2nd place goodbye to you a good while back anyways..........now as long as you dont overtake me in the swimming as well.

Advertisement