Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This stuff is kinda addictive ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

catweazle wrote: »
    on the treadmill in speedos.

For the love of God catweazle, you're turning my stomach here, what a disturbing mental image :p
    now as long as you dont overtake me in the swimming as well

Ha ha

Monday 19th Apr - pm

Swim
    850 m (100 breast, 750 f/c)

Have had to reshuffle this week, so nothing Tues am (should be fast run) and needed to do swim Mon or Tues pm to free up Wed am.

Started with a 100 breast stroke to wu.
    Followed by front crawl as follows:

1 x 50 m
    4 x 75 m
    4 x 100 m

Very happy to string together the 4 x 100's, hopefully can push on with the swimming from here.

Wednesday 21st Apr - am

Run - general aerobic hilly
    1:10:34 = 5:24/k
    135 avg hr

Was supposed to do a speedy session this morning but didn't get my ass out of bed in time so had to ditch those plans and just go for a run instead.
    Nice run, along my current favorite route. Low lying early morning sun made for a squity DustyBin as I plodded along. Nothing very strenuous, the big ass hill at the start is a great way to get the legs going.

The speedy session planned was 4,3,2,1 miles at PMP that I read about in Peckhams log. Reckon I need to allow a little under 2 hours to get it done along the main road and run back, so need to work on hauling myself outa the bed tomorrow :rolleyes: Need to do it tomorrow as Sat is lsr.

Thursday 22nd Apr

Run - pmp pace

1:58:14 = 5:02/k
    141 avg hr

Plan was to do:
    6.4k / 4.8k / 3.2k / 1.6k all at pmp (4:40/k) with 2 mins east between each, actual was:

2k wu
    6.4k @ 4:43/k - 142 avg hr
    4.8k @ 4:42/k - 147 avg hr
    3.2k @ 4:39/k - 148 avg hr
    1.6k @ 4:39/k - 149 avg hr
    4.47k cd

Great way to get through a few pmp kilometers, tough but not impossible, the little 2 min break is a great boost to keep going.
    Not decided on Cork pace yet but chose 4:40 for this because it's a nice round figure
    Toughest part was getting out of the bed early enough to fit in before work :rolleyes:

Friday 23rd April

Cycle
    55:27 = 25.1 km/h (depressing)
    126 avg hr

Dusted down the aul bike and took her out for a spin.
    Split the spin into 3 laps; getting out to the main road (avg 27.8 km/h), on the main road (26.8 km/h), and coming back (19.6 km/k). Took a different route back than out, and includes one serious climb, gets up to 10% in one part on map my run, overall climb continues for just over 2k. Main road was a little lumpy, and also middling wind, but was out and back and I should be doing better.

Shocking bad speed overall, need to put in some work on the bike. Must also stop reading about how showry and MCOS are getting on with the bikes, makes me even more depressed :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th Apr

Run - long
    3:06:31 = 5:12/k pace
    139 avg hr

The lads I normally do long runs with were all off foreign competing in their marathon, so did this one on my own. No chat and no ipod made for a lot of internal dialogue, but was running a route I'd only ever previously driven, so got to see and notice lots keepng the boredom at bay.

As this is the longest I have done, and is also the longest I will do in the run up to cork, I decided against doing any pmp but would instead aim for a reasonably fast (for me) pace instead. Set the virtual partner on the garmin for 5:10/k pace and off we went. I pretty quickly found myself lagging some 30m behind, and thought that 5:10 was feeling toughre than it should but increased the pace anyway. Amazingly I then found I was 50m behind, and reluctantly kicked on again. It was only when I found myself 75m behind did I realise that I was reading it wrong and was actually now 75m ahead:rolleyes:.

Had driven the route beforehand dropping off water and gels, but didn't realise just how hilly the route was. Managed to keep on target for pace until about 16k / 17k after which I started to slow and drifted out to 5:12/k. Managed to get back to 5:10/k from 30k - 33k but the final pull back home up the hill sucked the life out of me.

Spent the rest of that day and the whole of the next day out in the garden doing fairly heavy work, so treated myself to rest days on Sun & Mon (more a necessity than a treat really).

Tuesday 27th Apr - am

Run - VO2max (first one :))
    15.94k total in 1:20:46

Plan called for 14k with 5 x 1k @ 5k pace with recovery time of 2:45 between each rep. Having never done a 5k race I consulted McMillan with my 10k time in hand and rounded down the result from 3:57 to 3:55. Actual was:

5k wu @ 5:17/k
    1k @ 3:55/k - 150 avg hr
    1k @ 3:53/k - 156 avg hr
    1k @ 3:55/k - 156 avg hr
    1k @ 3:54/k - 159 avg hr
    1k @ 3:54/k - 159 avg hr
    4.05k cd @ 5:53/k (2k up that big ass hill I cycled on Friday)
    With the recovery between intervals came to 15.94k total.

Ran intervals up and down the one stretch of road, so must have caused householders concern for my well being as i pelted past their house 5 times whilst they were eating their breakfast, steadily growing more and more purple!!

First time doing a VO2max session, whilst loading the plan onto the garmin the night before I wasn't really looking forward to the hard work. But while it was hard, it was doable. Another VO2max next week with 1.2k intervals - can't wait :rolleyes:

Wednesday 28th Apr - am

Swim
    1,150m (100 breast, 550 f/c, 500 drills)

The way it is now, I look forward to getting down to the pool, but dread it when I'm there. Hopefully more sessions per week after Cork will do the trick?

100 brest wu
    50 x 2 f/c
    100 x 4 f/c
    400 kicking only (with board & fins)
    100 one armed strokes (with board)
    50 f/c

Still feel like my legs are sinking, which has to be making things harder, so will continue doing the kicking drills. Despite all the running, these are very different leg muscles being used and I could really feel it in my hips. Took the first 250m kicking at a moderate effort, then gave it socks for the final 150m.
    Found the one armed stroke thing easier when stroking with my left arm rather than when stroking with my right, started veering off course a little when using right arm. I breathe bilateraly when swimming and have noticed that I breathe better on my left too.

Thursday 29th Apr - am

Run - hilly
    1:10:18 = 5:21/k
    133 avg hr

Late out of bed, meant couldn't do the planned 20k. Did this shorter hilly run instead. Didn't push it as I was planning on both giving it socks on the bike on Friday, and also tough enough lsr planned for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dusty,

I know you werent happy with your bike speed the other day - Just wondering are you using clipless pedals and what type of tyres you have on the bike? both can make a good difference

• Advertisement

Friday 30th Apr - am

Brick - bike & run

bike: 21.64k @ 27.7 km/h - 136 avg hr
    run: 3.32k @ 5:21/k - 137 avg hr

Managed to increase both speed and hr from last weeks cycle. Thought that I was probably using the gears more effectively today to keep the momentum going.
    Happier with that
    Quick-ish turnaround to head off on an impromtu run after discovering I had more time before work than I thought. Legs a littel slow and numb rather than uncoordinated.

I was weariing a pair of bib shorts for the bike. Now these are grand on the bike, but try running in them. The nappy like padding is bad enough, but when you stand up straight and the shoulder straps pull the shorts up tight around the manly bits, doesn't make for comfortable running!!
    Slipping them down off the shoulder did the trick;)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Dusty,

I know you werent happy with your bike speed the other day - Just wondering are you using clipless pedals and what type of tyres you have on the bike? both can make a good difference

Yeah I've clipless pedals and skinny road tires.
    TBH it was a combination of hilly road and not trying hard enough, mainly not trying hard enough if you look at my 126 avg hr.
    Managed a bit better today and got it up to 136, but needs to be better.
    I reckon I'll have to introduce a bit more structure into the bike training now. I was reading El Directors Log and that interval session he does on the bike looks good, will give it a try.
    The legs are well up for the running, just need to get them a bit more used to the bike. When I started in August the bike was the strongest of the 3 for me, but no question it's the running now, just shows what a whole heap of practise does.

Some fair impressive cycles on your log recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I find it very hard to get a high heart rate on the bike, what happens is that the power in my legs go first. So while I hardly have the strength to push the pedals my heart rate is relatively low.

This year has mainly been about running and swimming but next year (please god) will be primarily focused on improving my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I find it very hard to get a high heart rate on the bike, what happens is that the power in my legs go first. So while I hardly have the strength to push the pedals my heart rate is relatively low.

+1, i dont really use a hrm - the strap annoys me but i know i cant get a high HR on bike compared to running with the exception of the odd decent climb. my legs give out long before my heart is racing
    DustyBin wrote: »
    When I started in August the bike was the strongest of the 3 for me, but no question it's the running now, just shows what a whole heap of practise does.

To me cycling is all about time on the bike, you ve been focusing on running so its to be expected. when you get cork over with you ll be back flying.

Friday 30th Apr - pm

Swim
    1,000m (800 f/c, 100 drills, 100 breast)

Last minute decision to head down to the pool after work. Got there and the place was full of kids except for one lane they had in. One person in the lane, a girl of about 14 who normally just swims like a fish, but didn't really seem to be that interested today.
    Anyway, asked some of the staff if I could borrow a pull buoy - no bother.
    Did the following:
    1 x 50
    1 x 50 with pull buoy - v tough
    1 x 50
    2 x 100
    2 x 150
    1 x 200
    1 x 50 with pull buoy
    1 x 100 breast cd

Delighted
    First time to swim 150 and I did it twice, and followed up with a 200 :D happy out
    First time using (or trying to use) a pull buoy. I just found my legs sinking really bad and it was almost like trying to swim while standing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

First time using (or trying to use) a pull buoy. I just found my legs sinking really bad and it was almost like trying to swim while standing up

Well done DustyBin - try adjusting the pull buoy further along the legs to find the 'sweet spot' where you get the optimum buoyancy from it.

Just back from your corner of the world (well, Bunclody anyway) - gorgeous.

Nothing matches improvements in the pool i think. Its always the part I am most proud of. I always have one look back at the swim after and hopefully see a good few people still out there. From going to someone who could only swim a length or two to those distances is a great feeling

Thanks lads, The swimming has taken a real turn for the better over the past week, was away for the weekend and hit 4 x 180m grand and felt like I could have done more, big change from where I was only last week.
    Not sure about the pull buoy though RedB, I'm just not a floater. Mrs DB was in the pool with me this morning and couldn't believe how quickly I sank each time she got me to try float either on belly or back, I'll try it again another time.
    Bunclody's nice, I'm a bit further up near Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Yeah - my 'chunky' legs tend to dip well below the surface with the buoy but I find that having the pull buoy above the knees gives a different effect than having it nearer the ankles. Neither position is perfect and its a matter of the 'least worse' in my case :rolleyes:

Saturday 1st May - am

Run - long with pmp
    2:28:01 = 4:43/k average
    148 avg hr

Plan said 29k with 23k @ pmp. Decided to reset my pmp and lower it to a more aggressive 4:35/k and see how I got on. Results were:

3k wu @ 4:58/k - 136 avg hr
    23k @ 4:34/k - 151 avg hr
    5.37k @ 5:09/k - 145 avg hr

Over the moon with this run, felt like I was gonna nail it throughout, and second half of 23k was stronger than first half.
    Felt strong on the cool down as well, and very happy to get overall pace for that sort of distance down to 4:43/k - that's very close to 3:15 marathon pace :eek:
    Have been periodically revising downwards my goal for Cork (started out with sub 4 back around October), and after this run I've decided that I'll go out with the 3:15 pacer group and pray to God that I can hold it through to the finish. It's probably a bit early to put up what for me is such an aggressive target, but sure feck it - all I have to do now is run it!!
    Kildare half is this weekend, am gonna head off with village runner and the 1:30 crowd so that will tell a lot, but at this stage I'm fairly confident of the sub 90 for that.
    Anyway, getting into squeky bum time now, just got to hold it together over the next few weeks and give myself the best chance I can when I get down to Cork.

• Advertisement

Sunday 2nd May - pm

Swim
    1,100m

We were away for the weekend and I'm counting the pool as being 15m in length.

1 x 90m breast
    2 x 90m f/c
    4 x 180m f/c
    1 x 90m breast

some other splashing around to round it up to 1,100m

Felt good on the 180's (12 lengths), only stopped because there was a young girl after getting in the pool and seemed afraid to swim with big old me splashing up and down the side of the pool. Jumped out to let her swim and hopped into the outdoor hot tub instead, followed by steam room, sauna and a cold shower - hardcore or what!!

Monday 3rd May - am

Brick (not really)

Swim
    Splashed around for about 200m but there were families and toddlers in the pool (which was very small) so left it at that.

Run
    1:05:11 = 4:56/k
    140 avg hr

Felt good on the run. Pace felt easy, which is a bit scary cos it hasn't felt as easy at that sort of pace before. Hope that this new found ease of the faster stuff lasts through until 7th June or so. The effort felt controlled, even and easy. Hope I didn't push it too far, but I've a VO2max workout in the morning so that will tell.
    Feeling good at the minute.

Tuesday 4th May - am

Run - VO2max workout

13.5k total in about 1:05 = approx 4:50/k pace overall
    Intervals were 600m x 5 @ 3:55/k pace with a 2:00 min recovery between each
    2min recovery was probably a little but longer than what I should have done, but still a tough workout
    Ran these after a 5k warm up
    Each interval came in at or below target, don't have details but will post up later when I get home
    Finished out with about a 3.5k slog up over the hill back home a different route to what I came out

I was mistaken last week whne I said it was 1.2k intervals this week, that's next week :rolleyes:

Edit:

Got the stats from teh Garmin, so:
    13.57k in 1:04:19 = 4:44/k avg pace w/ 141 avg hr
    Intervals:
    5k wu @ 4:44/k - 135 hr
    600m @ 3:54/k - 148 hr
    600m @ 3:54/k - 153 hr
    600m @ 3:51/k - 150 hr
    600m @ 3:54/k - 156 hr
    600m @ 3:46/k - 152 hr
    4k cd @ 5:15/k - 142 hr

All intervals done with 2min recovery jog between. 1, 3, & 5 slightly downhill, 2 & 4 slightly uphill and should explain the diff's in hr, barely noticeable slope, any other type of run you would call it flat.

Wednesday 5th May - am

Swim

1,300m (200 breast, 500 drills, 600 f/c)

1 x 100m breast
    2 x 100m f/c
    1 x 200m f/c
    1 x 300m kick only with fins and board
    1 x 200m single arm stroke with board & alternate sides
    2 x 100m f/c
    1 x 100m breast

The first 100m f/c didn't feel comfortable at all, maybe should have done 1 or 2 50's first?
    Nailed another 200m swim so happy out
    Kick drill was monotonous as usual
    Thought I got real benefit from the single arm drill, was really able to concentrate on getting the elbow up first and good and high too. Tough drill especially doing it with no fins after the kick drill - felt like my litle legs were fairly useless thrashing about in the water behind me. Fell into the rhythm of the stroke then and was really able to feel each arm stroke through the water. Still a minor problem with the steering on this one but sure can't have it all I suppose.
    2 x 100m f/c then felt a bit speedier than the earlier ones, and was trying to keep the elbows up and kick hard

Thursday 6th May - am

Run - hilly

1:34:54 = 5:17/k pace
    135 avg hr

Had intended going another 3k but time was tight. Real wet rain the whole way around, haven't ran in that type of rain for a long long time.

I bit the bullet and picked up a pair of Nike Lunarglides recently and to be honest they are a really great runner. So have been swapping them in and out with my Mizuno Wave Inspire 6's and whilst I'd notice a difference in how they feel on, they are both great to run in. Ran in the Mizuno's today and noticed that they were getting a little flat in the midsole getting towards the end of this run which is surprising as they've only about 500k on them. But then again I suppose that I do probably run heavy and that might wear runners out a bit quicker. It was always my intention to get a fresh pair of Mizuno's before the Cork marathon, but I'm thinking I'll take the Nike's now. I'll wear them in Kildare at any rate and see from there.

Spotted a 2 mile race close-ish to me on Friday evening - really tempted but I desperately want to post a good time in Kildare on Sunday. I think I might do the 2 miler any way, sure what would it be only 12 mins of pain??

Saturday 8th May

Run - hilly & easy pace
    54:49 = 5:14/k
    137 avg hr

Just an easy run to work out the legs ahead of tomorrows race. Two fairly big hills on the route was probably not a great idea, but sure I took it easy anyway. Finished off the session with 6 x 100m strides - felt great and will do more of these at the end of easy runs going forward.

Decided not to do the race on Friday evening, and did absolutely nothing instead. Have been wrecked all week, and decided to ditch the cycle I had planned for Friday morning.

Went through 1,000km on today's run and shared a few silent high 5's with imaginary fans cheering me on from the side of the road :pac:

Went through 1,000km on today's run and shared a few silent high 5's with imaginary fans cheering me on from the side of the road :pac:

Well done Dusty, I hope you were typing that up with a big fat cigar in your mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

:D
    ;)
    Go Dusty Go Dusty Go Dusty!! Well done kid... go on now you have the Bubendorfer lad in sight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Congrats on the PB today Mr sub 90min half marathon man. Well Done.

• Advertisement

Kildare Half Marathon – race report
    Sunday 9th May

1:29:33 chip time
    new pb :D

With 1.5 hours travelling time, and registration closing at 11:30, I had to leave the house by 9:30. I got my porridge about 8:45, a bagle at 9:25 as I was heading out the door, and scoffed a banana about 10:20. Other than that just took some water with me to sip travelling up along. I wasn’t going to bring any gels, but having read both tisnotover and Beepbeep67 talking about taking 2 gels each, I allowed that I’d take one before the water station after 6 miles, and carry another in case.

Arrived at the racecourse about 11:00, moseyed down to registration and in and out in about 30 seconds – great that things got off to a good start. Took my stuff and wandered out towards the stand and the starting area just to kill some time and see what was going on. Got a spot to sit down and explored the contents of my goody bag – happy with the shirt and the snacks, but a bit disappointed with all the bumf that seems to be the norm. Spotted robinph but he was gone before I got to say anything.

After wasting about as much time as I could I headed for the toilets to change into my shorts – these places need to come with a health warning!! Back to the car and into the rest of my gear, car key and €20 into back pocket, hrm strap & garmin, aldi socks and my Nike Lunarglides. Forgot to bring suncream and got scalded on the way round – lesson learned. Also, forgot to put Vaseline on my nip-nip’s, no bleeders, but were very very tender in the shower later – lesson learned.

Down to the bag drop off – again very efficient service, and off for another stroll. It was only 12:00 yet so just walked around for a while before starting to warm up about 12:15. Did 2k of jogging, dynamic stretches, and 3 x 100m strides before wandering back up to see if I could spot the pacers. Found LeCheile and his group but no sign of Daithi BC yet. Met robinph again got talking this time, aiming for sub 1:25, very impressive, even better was that he later beat it by well over a minute! Spotted Daithi a few minutes later, introductions done, got a pace band off him – thanks, and headed of to do a bit extra, short little jog, followed by about 4 x 100m strides, 1k in total. Crowd were starting to head off to the start line at this stage so spotted Daithi’s balloons and slipped in behind him.

I glance down to check my footing and nearly fall over as I am dazzled by probably the most psychedelic pair of runners I’ve ever clapped eye’s on, but wait, I think I recognise them. ‘Are you ronanmac?’ says I, yes is the answer. Apparently the first time ever that the man has been recognised by his shoes!! Very nice guy, and we have a right old chat as we head over to the start. Ronan had taken the plunge and decided to join me in the sub 1:30 pace group after all, so we got to run most of the race together as well.

Daithi BC is joined by another pacer, the race starts, and off we go. Like a big bunch of sheep we all head off across the dirt road out of the race course, kicking up a cloud of dust as we go. First mile is bang on target, second is slow as we tackle an uphill, fairly back on target by mile 3 after which my pacer band fell off – more tape needed next time.

First water station is about 2.5 miles in – plastic cups which was very disappointing. I take two, pull in on the left to drink one and pour the other over me. A little bit of speed needed to catch up with the others again and on we go. There were probably 20-25 in the group at this stage, all running in a tight little pack. Ronanmac, the master of wind dodging is tucked in nice and tight on the leeside of the group, so I try and join him as best I can and get some shelter from a wind that seemed to be blowing in our face no matter which way we turned.

That’s pretty much how it continued, no one dropped, no one making a break for it, just all of us rumbling along together getting great support and encouragement from marshals and locals the whole way round. It appeared as though the entire local community came out to clap and cheer us on, and lots of impromptu water stations and food stops along the route. We hit a fairly long old hill then coming I think between miles 5 and 6; I think that we lost a few people here alright. Just as we’re reaching the top I turn to the guy beside me and say something about Kildare being flat but get no response – grrr feckin ipods!! The guy didn’t even know I was there.

Next water station then was just before the 10k timing mat, ripped the head off one of my gels and down it goes – they never get easier do they?? Got out in front of the pace group this time and same thing got 2 cups and pulled into the left. Another short dash and I’d caught up with them again.

About now I was starting to tire, and as my head drops down I notice something written on the road in front of me in large yellow writing – H.T.F.U. Got a right chuckle at this and a nice little energy boost as well. Talking to ultraman1 later it turns out that he was the culprit!!

The group got fairly strung out then heading up a slope after mile 7, and whilst tucked behind the guy in front trying to shelter I noticed Daithi getting away from me. I wanted to make a move but was completely boxed in at this stage. Just then the guy to my right gave out a big tired sigh that sounded exactly how I felt and he dropped back about a foot, didn’t think about just a little shimmy to the right and off I went to catch the next group, stayed here for 10 secs or so and again onto the next bunch of 2 or 3, and again until I’d caught the pacers. Turned out this was the best move I made in the day as the group really started to splinter here and we were now down to about 10 I reckon.

Into the village of Cut Bush – wow. They had a group of musicians up on the back of a truck trailer playing music for us, everyone out cheering on, and another water station. 2 cups except this time I carried the second with me for a little way. Spot a young fella holding a big black bag for the used cups, try to get my second cup into it, except I both misjudged and didn’t realise how much water was still in it. The poor young lad got soaked when the cup exploded off his chest – really really sorry about that!!

Shortly after Cut Bush I feel something slapping around my ankle – it’s the timing chip. Very brief stop to take a look and decide to carry on, 200m later stop again only this time tuck the chip inside my runner – hurt for the rest of the race, but if I had of stopped to retie my laces at that stage there was no way I could have caught Daithi again.

Group down to about 6 now, with a few stragglers visible behind, including Ronanmac. Ploughed on counting down the miles to myself, ‘only xxx left, you can do it, easy’. Was really starting to struggle now and it must have showed cos Daithi kept checking on me to make sure I was alright. ‘Yeah grand, if I grab onto your balloons I’m in trouble’.

Started to pass a couple of people walking at this stage, tried to encourage anyone we passed to keep going. Met one guy in black and orange who looked in a world of pain, gave him a little tap on the back and said something like good man keep it up. Reading BeepBeep67’s posts elsewhere I think that this was maybe him? Whoever it was fell in with us for a little while anyway, before dropping off again.

I had read that there would be 3 water stops, and was really starting to feel the thirst now knowing that was it until the end, when next minute out of nowhere some local had set up his own table with rows and rows of cups of water on it – legend, thank you so much it was exactly what I needed. Heading downhill now towards the 12 mile marker and there’s just me and one other guy from the initial group running with the 2 pacers. We picked up 2 more lads before the finish. That final mile was fierce tough, but with the prospect of a sub 90min finish in sight I reckon I nearly would have picked up Daithi and carried him on my back at this stage. Tucked in nice and tight behind Paul the other pacer I let him do a lot of the work into the wind.

A sign on the side of the road says 400m to go, and I thank the two lads and make a burst for the line. 200m to go I’m thinking you’re nearly there!! Finish line comes into sight and one of the two lads we picked up in our group near the end comes sprinting past me like he’s on a bike. I don’t care cos I look up and the clock says 1:29:3x – brilliant.

Thanked Daithi and Paul for the great job they did, met up with Ronanmac who annihilated his own pb from Connemara, and also met Ultraman1 afterwards for a brief chat. Ronanmac and I wander off up to the bag collection point and lo and behold there’s a massage tent set up and hardly a queue, in we jump and round off the event with a much needed rub down.

Back down into the town got some really nice cheap grub in the town square and got to meet Ronanmac’s wife – lucky man. Bus back to my car and off home.

Over the moon with my time, it was a lot tougher going than I thought it would be, but thankfully made it. Had my doubts right at the finish about the wisdom of 3:15 in Cork, but sure feck it, why not??

Avg hr 158 – max 168

Advertisement