Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get Broadband but mu neighbour can!

• 28-09-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi im living in Shillelagh Co Wicklow and my neighbour has broadband who is 10 feet away yet my line fails (Install last Friday by eircom), the estate is newly built last few years so lines are modern im presuming, any one any ideas what i can do, 3g doesnt work, wireless doesnt work cause of the trees in the area really need BB for work

I read online that if you log a fault with your line (crackling line) and get them to investigate it what every they do it gets the line retested and then in turn gets it to pass the test?

Any one any ideas please help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Senan wrote: »
    Hi im living in Shillelagh Co Wicklow and my neighbour has broadband who is 10 feet away yet my line fails (Install last Friday by eircom), the estate is newly built last few years so lines are modern im presuming, any one any ideas what i can do, 3g doesnt work, wireless doesnt work cause of the trees in the area really need BB for work

I read online that if you log a fault with your line (crackling line) and get them to investigate it what every they do it gets the line retested and then in turn gets it to pass the test?

Any one any ideas please help :)

Normally it can take several weeks before the automated tests are done on a line to make have it declared capable of ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Senan

can anyone confirm this from eircom?

what a crazy setup so ur saying i have to wait weeks for broadband?

cheers thanks

dont u just love eircom!!!

has this happened anyone else would love to hear the outcome as i really need bb for work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ask them can you use theirs if you pay half?

yeah was thinking about that but might be messy would perfer to have my own, dont want to ask ive only moved in :)

Normally it can take several weeks before the automated tests are done on a line to make have it declared capable of ADSL.

how can you get them to manually run this test?

or is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't. If you ring, the operator will tell you they're running the test right now, but they're not, they're just checking the result in the database.

If you tell them you want eircom broadband, they might request an actual test be done, though I wouldn't be very confident of that. You just have to wait. The tests are run once a month, possibly around the middle of the month, though that's not known for sure either.

hi thanks for that

so this is normal?

so if my neighbours have it there is a good chance i will get it as soon as this test runs?

There's a chance, I won't say how good it is though. There are many instances of one person not being able to get broadband, when the house next door can.

thanks

why is that so?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Tom1991

i had te same problem neighbours on both side of me were able to get internet and i couldnt .Was told it was because of the line was in sequence wit 3 other houses and i was no 4 and couldnt get the strength while the house after was no 1 and could

• Advertisement

what did u do?

mine is a new house so should have new wiring no?

Tom1991 wrote: »
    i had te same problem neighbours on both side of me were able to get internet and i couldnt .Was told it was because of the line was in sequence wit 3 other houses and i was no 4 and couldnt get the strength while the house after was no 1 and could

Sounds like a lie. There's no technical reason for why a line going to a house in the middle of two others would not be capable of supporting broadband. What does happen though is they use Pairgains to split a line, and you can't get broadband on that.

This happens when there are no spare lines available, and there's nothing you can do about it, if that's what you get.

can they swap me with someone else who doest avail of broadband but has a full line to themselves?

They could, but they won't. eircom will not do anything to fix a line failure.

Best thing to do is give it a couple more weeks, and see what they say. No point in worrying about something when there may not be a problem at all.

Hi Guys

I registered a fault with eircom online at eircom.ie yesterday (intermitant crackely line) and next day (today) a guy was at the house testing the line and he ran the test that usually takes place automatically weeks after you get the line installed and i have just recieved Broadband same day from Vodafone at home for €40 (3mb inc line rental).

Well happy now !!!!!!!!!!!! :)

It pays to post, thanks for the help !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Good job, the eircom techs themselves are good just the company is rotten to the core (top)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Good job, the eircom techs themselves are good just the company is rotten to the core (top)

Having had Eircom screw up a simple line transfer and leave me without phone or broadband for the last 19 days, we can safely say their techs are clueless too.

thats nasty i hope it gets sorted for ya :)

nothing worse than being offline :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Spear wrote: »
    Having had Eircom screw up a simple line transfer and leave me without phone or broadband for the last 19 days, we can safely say their techs are clueless too.

That is an admin problem, the guys who are on the road for the most part know their stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi,
    Just my notes on this topic:

We have a 10 pair line coming down to my house from the side of the road (about 1km). We had two phone lines, however when the second line was installed it was installed on the same pair as my 1st line - so basically we have a shared pair. I don't think that massively abnormal in the country.

When I went looking for BB (6months ago) I was told that neither line would support BB at all and they could not explain why -typical.

I then spoke to a friend of a friend who explained the whole shared pair thingy to me so we then guessed that was the problem, the two lines were on the one pair and the get BB you need a dedicated pair all the way to the exchange.

Grand so I thought, I'll dump the second line. That's done now 5months ago, however becuase the line is dumped only on the exchange software level end I still can't get broadband - the pair is still shared with an in actve line.

Been logging faults ever since:
    - faults say it is not a fault to disconnect a line on the pole. (both 1901 and the field guys said the same thing)

- the broadband guys that look at spare pairs say that there is no free pairs on the side of the road and the 10-pair cable is not relevant and not the cause.

Basically no department in eircom will physically unplug the inactive 2nd line for me.

As of now, still no broadband but yesterday I spoke to an eircom area manager whom actually listened to the problem and agreed with the action needed to resolve it, however he can't do anything for me so it's been send on but now I have a name and a number so wait and see.

Anyway, that's my storey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Most people here are right,i work for eircom my self and if its a new line thats been put in,it takes a while for a test to be run on the line at the local exchanged then fed back to our system and theres no way to get in done faster unfourtunatly as everyone is saying,not completley sure how often but shouldnt be more than a couple of weeks but if your neighbour can get it then its a good chance you can but no gurantees brother,hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

it must have been something I said.
    My line now supports broadband - max 2mb only but this is a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

I have the same problem as everyone here! I live at the end of a cul-de-sac ~5 miles from cork city. My neighbour who is further down the line from me has broadband, but I can't get it. My house is relatively new (about 4 years old) so his house was there first. Eircom told me a few weeks back that I probably could get broadband so I went ahead and ordered it. My router came and, lo and behold, nothing. I was informed that there was no chance of me ever getting broadband unless a new line was installed along the road, which I was told is not gonna happen. Is there anything I can do now, or do I have to live broadband-less for the forseeable future?

PS - when I enter my number in the magnet broadband line checker, they say that my line can be upgraded to recieve their broadband?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I have the same problem as everyone here! I live at the end of a cul-de-sac ~5 miles from cork city. My neighbour who is further down the line from me has broadband, but I can't get it. My house is relatively new (about 4 years old) so his house was there first. Eircom told me a few weeks back that I probably could get broadband so I went ahead and ordered it. My router came and, lo and behold, nothing. I was informed that there was no chance of me ever getting broadband unless a new line was installed along the road, which I was told is not gonna happen. Is there anything I can do now, or do I have to live broadband-less for the forseeable future?

PS - when I enter my number in the magnet broadband line checker, they say that my line can be upgraded to recieve their broadband?

Can I check that number? Maybe I can offer you something (we offer ADSL2+ which on occasion can work on otherwise RED lines). Send me a PM and I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rockmore

Hey Senan i'm new to this boards.ie business so not sure if your problem was sorted or not but am dying to know as I am currently having the same problem in newcastle co wicklow eircom came and installed my new phone line 2 weeks ago and are now telling me the line is too weak and cannot support broadband..is there anything that can be done?? This is so frustrating, all my neighbours have it? Can someone pleeease advise if theres any way around this? What a waste of time having a phone line installed when I still cant get broadband and only installed it cos i thought this was a sure bet. Satellite BB is working out very expensive with installation fees etc etc..

Advertisement