Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking during the winter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I did not spend all that money on a car for nothing. :rolleyes:

For me, it depends on the wether. :P

Wether I feel like taking the bike to work, or the car. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.C. wrote: »

ya big girl

KamiKazi wrote: »
    ya big girl

Your just jealous. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i'll be on 2 wheels daily, hail, rain, snow or shine.. (unless i dont get around to fitting my new front tyre!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As always, barring strong winds, very heavy rain, snow and ice, i'll be on the bike any given day. Oh, and barring those days i fancy wearing a skirt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As far as I remember(and try to remind myself in the pouring rain), I bought a bike because of all the money on spent on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

is there any other male bikers on this forum. Te he he.

seanybiker wrote: »
    is there any other male bikers on this forum. Te he he.

Dating forum >>>>>> that way! :D

Singles forum <<<<<< that way! :D

Good luck with your love life, seany. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Lining went back into the gear today. Fingers also felt the first signs of the cold. Will have to break out the winter gloves soon if the temperatures keep heading south.

Dating forum >>>>>> that way! :D

Singles forum <<<<<< that way! :D

Good luck with your love life, seany. :D
    Ya whore ya lol. I knew I worded that wrong. I couldnt be bothered to edit it, was hoping nobody would cop on :(

• Advertisement

Ya whore ya lol. I knew I worded that wrong. I couldnt be bothered to edit it, was hoping nobody would cop on :(

I just could not let you get away with that one. :D

Next time we do an impromptu overnight ride to Cork, we will stop off at yours on the way for tea and fags cigarettes. :rolleyes:

I just could not let you get away with that one. :D

Next time we do an impromptu overnight ride to Cork, we will stop off at yours on the way for tea and fags cigarettes. :rolleyes:

you sure do love your fags cigarettes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I commute from Louth to Dublin for work. I wear two balaclava's wollen one with a thermal one over that. I have heated grips but find my finger tips are still in a bad way after a cold wet ride home. I wear thermals under my bike kit but still feel the cold. I hate muffs but think I will give them a go this year, they look sh!te but all the reports I hear about them are good. I also have one of those weather stations which gives me the outside tepm.

I have a general rule that if it drops below -2.5 I take a bad weather day. I save up some of my TOIL I don't get overtime in my job, so that I have about 5 days to cover me over the winter. I won't let the rain stop me, but the ice is just too risky.

whats TOIL when its at home?
    Still havent rode the gixxer in ice yet. Should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

whats TOIL when its at home?
    Still havent rode the gixxer in ice yet. Should be fun.

Time Off In Lieu.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Time Off In Lieu.
    Ah I thought it was something along those lines but couldnt figure it out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Well lads now that our "summer" is over, who's staying on the bike for the winter? I will be unless its really heavy ice or snow, which TBH is pretty unlikely. I've a screen on the way for the bike to keep some of the wind off me, and I'll be ordering some winter gloves and a neck gator. I'm also pondering about buying heated grips or handlebar mittens but can't decide which will be better for the winter. Any thoughts?

Stick with Neck Gators or Neck Tubes instead of balaclavas. When you wear your helmet with a balaclava on you will compress the padding in your lid. Then when you take the balaclava off you end up with a loose lid.

Heated grips are only good for warming your palms from what I've heard. They do nothing to warm your finger tips.

If you are getting new winter gloves, buy a pair that are a size too big and then buy some Cold Killer Thermal Gloves, or similar, to wear under them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah snow.. you know you're in for an eventful commute to work, when the back spins up just driving up the driveway :eek:

Wossack wrote: »
    ah snow.. you know you're in for an eventful commute to work, when the back spins up just driving up the driveway :eek:

I get that every morning leaving home, dewey roads + cold tires always make engine braking a bit more exciting :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RosieJoe wrote: »

Heated grips are only good for warming your palms from what I've heard. They do nothing to warm your finger tips.

I saw research a while back of a scientist in England who had developed a device for the rapid cooling or heating of a body. It covered the hands, the device used heated grips and the subject was placed into a ice bath.

Body temperature when compared with the control group was close to normal(in a ice bath) and the test subject kept optimum brain function when tested. The control group(Ie no grip heaters) showed fatigue, reduced motor function and reduced mental capability.

The reason for this as stated on the research was that the arterial blood was being heated before being brought back to the heart. This allowed the body's core temperature to stay reasonably high through little heat loss and the extremity's to be heated better.

This device was being rolled out to emergency crews across the world for operations which would expose the crew or the victim to cold and risk of hypothermia.

All of that seemed funny to me because he basically for the heated part had a motor bike heated grip.

• Advertisement

Ordered a few winter bits last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Ordered a few winter bits last night :)

where was that? what currency? how much P&P?

quilmore wrote: »
    where was that? what currency? how much P&P?

http://mandp.co.uk
    Sterling
    Around £10 IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

http://mandp.co.uk
    Sterling
    Around £10 IIRC

:mad:
    that code for heated frips + free muffs doesn't exist anymore
    anyway, 40+10 for the grips alone are not too bad

quilmore wrote: »
    :mad:
    that code for heated frips + free muffs doesn't exist anymore
    anyway, 40+10 for the grips alone are not too bad

Yea, was a special offer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

The cold is eating me alive when im out! haha!

Im looking at this

http://www.onyerbike.net/clothing/Thermals/Cold_Killers/Cold_Killers_SoftShell_Mini_Tube_

Seems to be the kinda thing im looking for.

Now i just have to sort out my hands being bloody freezing, at high speeds my fingers are almost numb. I still cant find some nice padded gloves to fit properly, haha! I think i have small thumbs or something caus anything i try on fits the fingers but not the thumb:confused: wrecking my head it is!

goodlad wrote:
    Now i just have to sort out my hands being bloody freezing, at high speeds my fingers are almost numb. I still cant find some nice padded gloves to fit properly, haha! I think i have small thumbs or something caus anything i try on fits the fingers but not the thumb:confused: wrecking my head it is!

The thing about gloves is the more you spend the better you'll get... get yourself a set of alpinstars drystar gloves (or jet roads) and you wont be cold...

Or cold killers actually do a glove, i think it's called 'skin' or something... you put it on under your gloves and it keeps your hands from the cold supposedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had a pair of gloves that i spend 80 euro on, they seemed to fit perfect when i tried them on.

But when out driving i soon realised i couldn't do much with my thumbs caus the gloves were too big on them. But yet perfect on the fingers, i have tried on about 20 different gloves in about 5 bike shops. Still cant find any to fir properly.

Im beginning to think i have retarded hands! haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

jameshayes wrote: »
    Or cold killers actually do a glove, i think it's called 'skin' or something... you put it on under your gloves and it keeps your hands from the cold supposedly

those cold killers aint worth a shite imo. They're far too thick, so having them under normal gloves just doesnt work - becomes alot harder to close your hands. So much so, I had to take them off within 10 mins of riding as my hands were so sore/aching :mad:

Got a pair of really thin glove liners from a ski shop when on holidays, and they're much better

Advertisement