Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking during the winter

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Right guys, end all discussion for keeping your hands warm!

http://www.rain-off.com/

I got a pair as a birthday present only a few weeks ago. They are brilliant and not all that expensive. Delivery was just over a week.

Some good points points.
      They help keep the wind off so your hands stay warmer.
    • hey're totally waterproof - no wet gloves getting on the bike after work
    • They don't reduce feelin too much so using controls is no bother
    • Come in two + two or one + three finger set ups for your breaking preference.

Sort of bad points
    • Some people say they find them hard to get on, but I don't find it too dificult. There's a very easy nack to get and you'll have them on in no time
    • Wearing them outside your jacket can let heavy rain drip down your sleeves and into the gloves - this is only minor and negated if you tuck your regular gloves into your jacket first, it's such a little amount of rain that gets in.
    • The gloves reduce feeling just enough to make operating zippers without one of those cord thingies a bit difficult.

All in all I'd give them a 9/10. They work, and their only limitations are impossible to get away from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ye'll look like Penguin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

I got a pair as a birthday present only a few weeks ago. They are brilliant and not all that expensive. Delivery was just over a week.

Some good points points.

Sort of bad points
    • Some people say they find them hard to get on, but I don't find it too dificult. There's a very easy nack to get and you'll have them on in no time
    • Wearing them outside your jacket can let heavy rain drip down your sleeves and into the gloves - this is only minor and negated if you tuck your regular gloves into your jacket first, it's such a little amount of rain that gets in.
    • The gloves reduce feeling just enough to make operating zippers without one of those cord thingies a bit difficult.

All in all I'd give them a 9/10. They work, and their only limitations are impossible to get away from.

Have to agree with on the Rainoff gloves have them a couple of years now. I got them from here

http://www.staintune.co.uk/main.php?group=rainoff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Some good points points.

Sort of bad points

And you get to look like some sort of alien :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Bunch of nancies! :D

We live in Ireland not Iceland. Winter temperatures never really get that low here. Snow is rare and most black ice is eliminated by gritting.

Riding everyday all year round for seven years in stormy winds, rain, hail and even snow and I only had one minor slip(black ice).

Temperatures here are around 10'C no matter what month it is.

With a good warm jacket and gloves, and the essential neck warmer, winter riding aint an issue!

Pfft...fair weather riders!:P

You're thinking of Greenland. Iceland is a bit like Ireland but slightly colder. And after my first few months of biking and slipping on the ice, twice in as many days, I decided to get the bus into work and the bike was left at home. Same with my current bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I plan on driving every day unless there is pretty heavy ice, most of the roads around here are gritted anyways so its fairly sound. The heavy wind this weekend was a first for me but nothing too mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I used to crash at least once every winter, guaranteed. Usually just low speed stuff, e.g. falling over the the work carpark coz it's a sheet of ice and the like, no bother. I don't mind so much now as I've got a trailie with crashbars, pannier racks and handguards and it appears to be indestructible :)

What I am finding though is that I'm getting soft. I used to ride all through the winter in denim jeans, tshirt and vented leather jacket, but now it's proper leggings, a top as well and sometimes even a heated jacket.

I also tried heated grips on a few bikes and always thought they were rubbish. Fine around town at low speed, but all they ever did was warm my palms and not the tips of my fingers which used to freeze and then thaw out very painfully, ow! Absolutely useless on longer journeys. Muffs are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got a pair of these yesterday :

http://www.louis.de/_10efbcf35cd186b71880897612e65cca34/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&artnr_gr=201091&anzeige=0

They go under your winter gloves and are I tested them today in sub 0 temperatures and when I got home my hands were nice and toasty.

They're really thin and don't really add any extra bulk. Even with my super duper Alpinestar winter gauntlets my finger tips got cold. Not anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Anyone know when the insane winds we're getting are supposed to die down? I really want to replace my handlebar but the last time I did it, the insane winds the very damned next day bent the right side of it alongside the brake lever which is now curled forward. Still easily depressible but it's driving me barmy.

Advertisement