Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Season 2009/10 How The Opposition are doing

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight's fixtures

MON SEP 28 18:30 3RRB Ravenhill Pat fc
    MON SEP 28 19:30 3RRB Boardeaux Bar Real
    MON SEP 28 20:30 CLMBS Cream of Jesus II The Ronnie Rosenthals
    TUE SEP 29 19:15 WES2 The Gary Breen Experience ODwyerski FC
    TUE SEP 29 21:00 3RRB Steau needarest Coffin Dodgers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be interesting to see what shape Ravenhill are in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

They won 4-2. Both teams have a couple of decent players but are below our best.

Cream of Jesus II 3-2 The Ronnie Rosenthals

Top after week 1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Top after week 1 ;)

And Des top goal scorer, hope he keeps that form up for the rest of the season ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

one down, 17 to go...

if we play anywhere near our full potential, we can win this league, we simply have to win it, we will never again have such a chance i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

emc2 wrote: »
    And Des top goal scorer, hope he keeps that form up for the rest of the season ;)

I don't!

That means we won't be playing games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, pity to start off with a walkover and I hope it's not an indication of more shambolics to come in this league, but it was a rare opportunity for the manager to have a look at everyone getting a full run out and a few new players looked more settled in the setup due to it.

Gotta say that 3 Rock pitch is quite poor though. Compare the length of the turf with Wesley and it's about 1/4 of the length so the ball just does not hold up and you can't put spin on a ball as it just doesn't catch when it bounces. That means that even on a dry night surface water still means the ball runs through at an incredible pace and it's slippy to control. Serious amount of balls ended up running over the goal lines and through balls need to be weighted perfectly.

As Columbas is even worse again, what that means is we'll have to really focus on playing to our strength of playing good passing football but without overplaying it in our own half which will be the temptation given the difficulty of direct balls. Also means that when we do need to play it long due to being under pressure in our own half, we need wingers and strikers to gamble more about getting on the end of a diagonal ball as defenders will be caught out by the surface too.

Fully agree though - we'll need to play to close to our full potential each and every week, but this league is our best chance for the gold medals we've been craving so much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The lesson here is to get our money in asap for the summer season so we get a league that's played on a better pitch.

But your right Jules, it's an awful pitch with so much surface water, will make freezing winter nights very interesting & dangerous!!

I like the surroundings in 3 rock and Columbas but I have to concede that the surface in Wesley is far superior. Same for all teams though and we'll get used to playing on those two pitches again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The surface water was aplenty three yards out from the goal, yet the ball happily bounced out.

I'd agree the Boardeaux jersey team was much more dangerous - admittedly against a makeshift defence - when the ball was played on the ground. First time I've really noticed the difference in effectiveness.

Yeh, there were some dodgy moments on that 3 rock pitch last year but these early kick offs should prevent freezing pitches. Anyone rememeber the I-China game where the pitch was freezing as we played? :eek:

I remember that game for the CB who wore Edgar Davids type glasses :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Yeh, there were some dodgy moments on that 3 rock pitch last year but these early kick offs should prevent freezing pitches. Anyone rememeber the I-China game where the pitch was freezing as we played? :eek:

Was that the Newpark one where the frost was visible on the pitch? :eek: Might as well have played on the car park surface that night.

Newpark, Columbas, Three Rock and to a lesser extent the Iveagh grounds were all built as hockey pitches and then adapted to be used as football pitches. Pretty darn slippy

Wesley was the same but the resurfaced it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Sutton was the third worst pitch the Astro league ever used. On the side of a hill at the far end of Dublin. In the Winter league you literally couldn't get the ball to go any further than 10-15 yards in one half, mind you shots from 60 yards were possible in the second :D

The Iveagh ground was the second worst pitch the Astro League ever used. If the ball was allowed bounce it would go about 10 foot back in the air. I still blame that pitch for my many knee injuries from the impact of hitting the ground, I think it was just painted concrete really.

The worst pitch ever used was the pitch in Sandymount. It was sand based, so resembled a bunker at times. There were two areas, one on either side of the pitch, that were constantly under water and in puddles. The pitch wasn't marked properly so you couldn't see the sidelines all the way along and the nets were in constant danger of collapsing, twice during games I played in the crossbar came down. The surface itself was so destroyed that it was almost like frayed carpet and to add to that it was always Santa who reffed there. Fine if an incident happened in the centre circle, but anywhere outside of that he couldn't see it.

2-2 in the other game, ravenhill and steua, perfect nite for us...that sees us move up a position or 2, though its away too early yet to see who will challenge.

That win really helped us out, joint second.

good results for us overall this week, 4-4 in the other game..its all very tight, everybody are taking points off each other really.

looks like it will be a good few weeks yet before a group emerges or we know who the best 2 or 3 teams are.

massive game next week.

2 points off the top after 4 games. Excellent.

• Advertisement

Ravenhill beat Coffin dodgers 6-0 and O Dywerski won with same scoreline against Bar Real.

astro are indeed a showed of *****. they played one of the monday night games after all -

TUE NOV 10 ODwyerski FC 5 1 Steau needarest
    TUE NOV 10 Pat fc 3 0 Coffin Dodgers
    MON NOV 9 Cream of Jesus II 4 1 Bar Real

so now, theres only 3 teams on 5 played of which we are one. 3 teams then on 7 played and the rest on 6. just doesnt add up. suerly seen as us and the ronnie rosenthals both didnt play the BH either and were down to play each other already, and considering bar real had 7 now played, they could have let us play....

some joke and sometimes i feel, we are being taken for a ride. it always seems to be us who has the game called off cos of pitch, weather, works, other factors etc.

pat fc won last night 2-1.i also expect ravenhill and o dwyers to win tonight. its some joke that a team above us has 2 games more played, it means that we are constantly chasing them, though on the other hand, if we keep winning, before long we will be top with games in hand on the chasing pack and in a great position.

the next 3 weeks will shape the league, if we get 9 points, we are in the driving seat. we play 2 of the teams around us raven hill and then pat fc, with bar real in between them. must win games and if we do, the league is ours to lose as the closest 4 teams all have a little mini league against each other and a few draws willl open it up for us.

if we are top by christmas, i think we can push on and win this league. that should be the aim. 4 wins from 4 will do it, taking one game at a time.

Ravenhill beat Bar Real 3-0

O'Dwyerskis beat coffin dodgers 10-0

Steau needarest beat Cream of Jesus II 5-1

Iago wrote: »
    O'Dwyerskis beat coffin dodgers 10-0

Steau needarest beat Cream of Jesus II 5-1

looks o dwyers so will be the team to beat. they are scoring goals for fun in this league. tis some sham that they now have 8 played and we only have 6. were they to beat us in a few weeks time, they could move 7 clear.

Some ridiculous results there. Why are Bar Real in the league if they're gonna keep giving walkovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Here are the other results this week......

Cream of Jesus II 6 1 Coffin Dodgers
    Steau needarest 2 2 Bar Real
    ODwyerski FC 6 0 The Ronnie Rosenthals
    The Gary Breen Experience 2 4 Pat fc

4 way battle between us, Ravenhill, O'Dwyerski and Pat FC for the league.

• Advertisement

all is not lost for us, its only a 3 points gap if we win our game(s) in hand and with 12 games left, its all to play for.

massive 3 weeks coming up before christmas, with pat fc and o dwyers coming up. 9 points there and we are well sorted.

all the other teams also enter a mini league between the so if we are not there or there abouts by christmas, we could be in a spot of bother....massive few weeks ahead.

Advertisement