Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone warehouse customer care (not)

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm new to this but just wondering if anyone else out there has had an ill experience with the CPW (grafton st in particular). I recently made a purchase of a product that was unfit for use, and when i went to exchange it, I was told to take it up with their customer care number - which i did - that was last week and i've heard nothing since. Is there any worthwhile consumer websites for ireland i could visit? At this point it's not the value, it's the principle of the matter - I don't like being bullied.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What did you buy, and what was the problem. They can't fob you off. If it doesn't work, then they must offer a replacement, refund or repair. If you're not happy with what's offered, you don't have to accept, but you'd need a good reason and you'd be looking at small claims court to force them. If their offer was reasonable, then you'd probably fail.

www.consumerconnect.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fredsaidright

Thanks for your input.

I had bought screen protectors for an iphone. Essentially they don't work - plain to be seen - just keep peeling back off as you put them in your pocket or take them out. I followed all the instructions but they simply keep peeling back off. I know they only cost about a tenner and the CPW only offer was a replacement - i already had another i was returning at the same time so i didn't want a replacement - i want a refund for an item that is unfit for purpose. I would have accepted a credit note to the same value but that was declined by the store manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks for your input.

I had bought screen protectors for an iphone. Essentially they don't work - plain to be seen - just keep peeling back off as you put them in your pocket or take them out. I followed all the instructions but they simply keep peeling back off. I know they only cost about a tenner and the CPW only offer was a replacement - i already had another i was returning at the same time so i didn't want a replacement - i want a refund for an item that is unfit for purpose. I would have accepted a credit note to the same value but that was declined by the store manager.

You'll have to fight your corner for a refund. Did you explain the situation to the manager? What did he say? They can't tell you to ring their consumer line, your contract of sale is with the retailer. You can refuse a replacement and in this instance it's reasonable to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The fact that you had 2 of them, and neither worked, is a fairly good reason to not accept a replacement, as you've no confidence in them working.

For simplicity, you could take the replacement, then when they don't work, insist on a refund since the product simply does not work properly. If they refuse, it'll cost you €14 for a small claims court application, so not worth doing that. You could contact the national consumer agency at the link I posted above. See if they have anything to say.

Since it's such a small amount of money, any formal procedure is going to end up costing you. Write a formal letter of complaint to CPW head office, and send by registered post (about €5, probably), would be the right thing to do if you get nowhere in the shop.

Thanks Elessar and Jor el for your advice. I do not intend to let the carphone warehouse away with this type of treatment. It was in fact the manager i was dealing with and his attitude was to get me off the shop floor asap. I also bought the iphone at the same time along with an in-car charger so i had spent a bit of money in their store , not that it should make a difference. But they also gave mis information about a specific query i had in relation to sat-nav where i was informed it was preinstalled. Obviously not as I then discovered. All in all a pretty poor experience. But if i was dealt with politely and fairly i would not have an issue - but i wasn't. I have written a letter and placed two verbal complaints and am awaiting a response. From other forums it would seem i shouldn't be too hopeful. But I will investigate every channel open to me including comreg in relation to their mis-selling.

I'll keep you posted - literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for your input.

Go back to the shop, get the replacement and put it on the phone in the shop and show how it's not fit for purpose. Then demand a refund/credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

You'll not get a reply from them i'm waiting about 4 months for a supervisor to call me back there absolute rubbish to deal with,

I have a thread in this section already I took them to the small claims court and won and they wont refund me (well they will in 28 working days) !! so i'm sending in the sheriff!!!

Hi Bazzy,
    I'm glad to hear you persevered and won your case but am not surprised to hear that you have not yet received your award of court - but send in the sheriff for sure. I've taken to copying the ceo of cpw (and the director of customer care and the Head of customer care) in the UK, whose emails i discovered on a facebook page dedicated to the lack of poor customer service of the carphone warehouse. I was today informed that I will be refunded - Ill await to see. However i've also instructed them that a refund is not enough - i also want an apology for the way i was treated. I've since complained to O2 and they are investigating the mis-selling as i have informed them that due to the mis-selling the CPW have broken my contract with O2. I have already received a response from O2 who i understand do actually have a customer care department!

Advertisement