Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

traveller conflict resolution program

• 28-09-2009 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

so apparently there's a new conflict resolution service to be set up which will aim to deal with disputes among the travelling community.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0928/travellers.html

now, although we know there is a huge percentage of bad eggs in the community, we all know that not all travellers are bad. however, we all know that all travellers want to be treated as equals with settled people in society.

does anyone else think this is a waste of time? it's essentially a concession of defeat by the government in my opinion, anyone committing violent crimes should be locked up. do you think that the government would set up a fcuking sit-down-together-and-have-tea committee for the average house-dwelling anto and deco who are having scraps on the streets on a daily basis?

steps like this do more to segregate the travelling community from the rest of society by treating them differently from the rest of us in the first place.

thanks once again HSE, you useless shower of fat bastards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

genericguy wrote: »

now, we all know that not all however, we all know that all travellers want to be treated as equals with settled people in society.

No they don't. Settled people in society are expected and enforced to obey the laws of the nation and co-exist in a reasoned manner. A 'percentage' (a high one) of Travellers just want to be left alone to do whatever they hell they want with no consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Personally, I feel that regardless of race, colour or creed people who commit the same crime should be given the same punishment in the same conditions. In this day and age, I feel that the defence of social conditioning is more of an excuse/cop out than a reason.

Unfortunately, in some circles I get branded as a bigot and/or racist for my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

As a blow in and the little I've seen of travellers, the last thing they'd want is to be treated equally ! The majority would be locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

pwhite587 wrote: »
    No they don't. Settled people in society are expected and enforced to obey the laws of the nation and co-exist in a reasoned manner. A 'percentage' (a high one) of Travellers just want to be left alone to do whatever they hell they want with no consequences.

sssh dude, you can't say that here....

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

what was the first reference of travellers in the bible?......

hosanna in the hiace.

i'l get my coat

stevoman wrote: »
    what was the first reference of travellers in the bible?......

hosanna in the hiace.

i'l get my coat

whopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Heard Padraig Nally is going to mediate most of the disputes.

He's the best qualified person for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

"Traveller Conflict Resolution Programme"

Awful long winded name for 'Boxing' - ah well, that's the verbose civil service for you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Long Onion wrote: »
    "Traveller Conflict Resolution Programme"

Awful long winded name for 'Boxing' - ah well, that's the verbose civil service for you ...

Let's play fighting boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Long Onion wrote: »
    Awful long winded name for 'Boxing' ..

See that Tyson Fury traveller boxer the other night?

I dunno how he got that big eatin rabbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd advocate a Heinrich Himmler type figure to oversee this program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I have a really good feeling about this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

This is another big abdication of duty by the lazy cops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Don't see the problem here? Discussion should always be the first step. It's a fairly simple solution that's probably been overlooked since the beginning of the conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

provide slash hooks and a large shed and let the concerned parties resolve the conflict in the time honoured manner of their forefathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Let them knock each other off like nature intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Scatther cushions, periwinkle blue.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Chemical castration is the only way to get knacker males to calm down

Oh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I forsee a similar, albeit discursive, castration on the horizon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I can see it now

Mediator: "Well Jonjo, how did this fight start?"

Jonjo: "Micky Ward kicked his youngest daughter in the box"

Mediator: "How is that any of your business??"

Jonjo: "The Bastard broke two of me feckin fingers"

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have a really good feeling about this thread.

Yes, it has that warm cozy glow to it, like the blood pouring from an open wound caused by a Stanley.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Don't see the problem here? Discussion should always be the first step. It's a fairly simple solution that's probably been overlooked since the beginning of the conflict.

assuming you are not a member of the itinerant community, do you think that in the event of you stabbing your neighbour in a row, the government would be as quick to offer you the chance of verbal reconciliation in lieu of a custodial sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

would the government would be as quick to offer you the chance of verbal reconciliation in lieu of a custodial sentence?

where does it say that's gonna happen?

wudangclan wrote: »
    where does it say that's gonna happen?

it doesn't, my point is that these fcuks are being extended the courtesy of a discussion rather than the prison time that a criminal from any 'normal' social background would get if they carried on the way the scum in question regularly do. i'd bet that this is purely a cop-out on the part of the gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i got an idea/....
    a ring
    two familys enter (its a massive ring)
    which ever one survives is not guilty....

itll thin out the population as well

it doesn't, my point is that these fcuks are being extended the courtesy of a discussion rather than the prison time that a criminal from any 'normal' social background would get if they carried on the way the scum in question regularly do. i'd bet that this is purely a cop-out on the part of the gardaí.

i understood the article to say they were going to mediate disputes between travellers,not exonerate travellers from crimes relating to the feuds.

wudangclan wrote: »
    i understood the article to say they were going to mediate disputes between travellers,not exonerate travellers from crimes relating to the feuds.

nah, let's look at it from the non-governmental real-world POV - they are hoping that this will save them from bringing the travellers to account for their crimes against society.

nah, let's look at it from the non-governmental real-world POV - they are hoping that this will save them from bringing the travellers to account for their crimes against society.

ok.that's one way of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Gyppos.

Good one lads lolllllzzz :D:D:D

No wait, ye're both BANNED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I dont see any problems with their current dispute resolution syste,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

^^^ terrible camera work :mad:

MizzLolly wrote: »
    ^^^ terrible camera work :mad:

now you know not to buy one from them regardless of how many dogs they offer to throw in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

now you know not to buy one from them regardless of how many dogs they offer to throw in.

''Ah it was a great fight, I'd say I need about three stitches in my lip and he bit the top of me ear, twice. It was a good oul fight!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

I dont see any problems with their current dispute resolution syste,
    The nice Chap in the Vest looks Preggers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

so apparently there's a new conflict resolution service to be set up which will aim to deal with disputes among the travelling community.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0928/travellers.html

now, although we know there is a huge percentage of bad eggs in the community, we all know that not all travellers are bad. however, we all know that all travellers want to be treated as equals with settled people in society.

does anyone else think this is a waste of time? it's essentially a concession of defeat by the government in my opinion, anyone committing violent crimes should be locked up. do you think that the government would set up a fcuking sit-down-together-and-have-tea committee for the average house-dwelling anto and deco who are having scraps on the streets on a daily basis?

steps like this do more to segregate the travelling community from the rest of society by treating them differently from the rest of us in the first place.

thanks once again HSE, you useless shower of fat bastards.

Spot on buddy, jail the fookers if they break the law just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

The law is "one size fits all". Certainly should be anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

****, I clicked on this link and expected to see a picture of a rocket to the sun with the caption "Problem solved!" :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Settle down, settle down there lads!!!!!!!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

The level of ignorance and narrow mindedness on this thread is a sad
    reflection on irish society today.
    Laughing and joking nor cheeky remarks will erase the problem.
    A happy medium where their culture is respected and also where they must answer to the law is needed.
    This will come about ONLY by dialogue, It's not the answer one wants to hear but it is reality........
    So ...strap on a pair of balls and start a realistic debate or else take it to the High Horse thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

So ...strap on a pair of balls and start a realistic debate or else take it to the High Horse thread.

Is the High-Horse a piebald pony?

I'd love to see an RTE documentary on this process, Celebrity Mediator or some such. Maybe get someone like David Norris in for a hilarious dichotomy.

They could try to mediate between the limerick gangs while they're at it, all the while respecting their drug culture of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

There was a programme here in Australia about Irish travelers and one of the kids managed to get into a clothes recycling skip thing. She couldnt get out though and her mate just headed off. V Funny!:D:D:D

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd love to see an RTE documentary on this process, Celebrity Mediator or some such. Maybe get someone like David Norris in for a hilarious dichotomy.

They could try to mediate between the limerick gangs while they're at it, all the while respecting their drug culture of course.

Couldn't be as good as Kilroy and the Gypsies, not sure if anyone saw it but racist and all-round w4nker Robert Kilroy Silk lived with travellers for a week with hilarious consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SLUSK wrote: »
    Why should we respect travellers so called "culture"?

There are enough clips on Youtube to give me an impression of what their "culture" is about.

If we're judging people by clips on Youtube then settled people are pretty f*cked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

We need many more of these horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A happy medium where their culture is respected and also where they must answer to the law is needed.
    Their culture being holding County Councils, the government, local schools, etc, to ransom? That unless they pay money to the travellers, the travellers won't move? And when they do, they leave a mound of rubbish that costs many thousands of euro to clean up, never mind that the scenic spot is by then forever ruined. F**k their culture. When they obey the same law as I do, I'll think about giving a damn about their culture.

=-=

I've gotten banned before for letting people know of my "master plan" for sorting out travellers, so I won't speak of it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

There was a programme here in Australia about Irish travelers and one of the kids managed to get into a clothes recycling skip thing. She couldnt get out though and her mate just headed off. V Funny!:D:D:D

That's Pavee Lackeen. She came across as brain-damaged in many scenes in that film.

BANNED*

*is what this would say if I posted how I really felt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement