Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earth, Moon & Stars (C&C Please)

• 28-09-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!!

Been sleathly hangin' about this forum for a good while now!! Probably a lil over a year! Picking up tips and tricks, info, getting ideas and inspiration!
    Can I say that this forum is a great source for the above. I have, and will continue to, enjoy the time I spend on this forum!

Bought myself a Canon 450D this time last year, with the intention of giving Photography a bash - always enjoyed taking pics and seemed to get decent results with a compact, with regard to composition!! So I've spent alot of time reading and learning the camera, and seem to be getting to terms with it!! Also learned a bit of post processing!

Anyways - built up the courage to post a pic and ask for some C&C!!
    Photo was taken at Portmarnock Beach, looking towards Howth Head.

3962834230_d1f8508877_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Great first pic, I like it. Is the colour balance a little off though? could be just me. I'm no sure on the border ducks down waiting for ass kicking but personal taste and all that.

I think you have done a good job in this, one thing putting me off though, is that an airplane in the sky? It is a little distracting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Nice story and I quite like the DoF...Agree with previous poster about that border!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I think you have done a good job in this, one thing putting me off though, is that an airplane in the sky? It is a little distracting.

No its not a plane - cos its a long exposure - there would have been a streak!! ;)
    I actually removed a plane!! I think someone said to me when I was out shooting that night, that it was Juipter!! I could be wrong, they could be wrong?? It was shot on the 1st!! ;)

Yeah - Im not too keen on the border either!! But dont have much experience on that - actually only 3rd or 4th pic I've added one too!! Been spending more time messing about with the actual photos learning different techniques!
    Any advice?? Or links to tutorials on producing nicer ones??

Cheers!

Here's the original!!

The colour balance is probably off - the Earth looks a lil pink - should be gray obviously!! Poxy street lights!! :mad:

92072.jpg

They could have been right actually, I think on the 28th of August Jupiter was to be closer to the earth than in hundreds of years and was said to be expected to be as large in the sky as the moon, however I never went out that night to look!

I think it was Jupiter as I had received a mail from a friend about it months in advance so I cant recall perfectly. Look border is a personal thing, I went through a border time but quicly lost it, some people here put borders on their images that look tasteful enough but to others any border damages a picture. Sometimes I wander too and fro butat the minute I'm against it:o

• Advertisement

Any better?

Border & Jupiter removed and attempted to remove the Red / Pink colour cast on the earth! ;)

92073.jpg

Can't see it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

The second shot you posted look much less sharp than the first one. What did you do to the first shot post processing wise to get it that sharp?

Can't see it I'm afraid.

Strange - its working for me!! :confused:
    Anyone else not able to see it?
    Skittle wrote:
    The second shot you posted look much less sharp than the first one. What did you do to the first shot post processing wise to get it that sharp?

Fortuanately I have access to Lightroom 2!!
    I took the shot in RAW - lowered the exposure a little, up the contrast and then an aggressive sharpen (Im not sure, but I may have masked the Earth for extra sharpening, but cant remember as I did it the day offer I shot the pic (1st of Sept) and then only finished editing it today!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Curran wrote: »
    Strange - its working for me!! :confused:
    Anyone else not able to see it?

Fortuanately I have access to Lightroom 2!!
    I took the shot in RAW - lowered the exposure a little, up the contrast and then an aggressive sharpen (Im not sure, but I may have masked the Earth for extra sharpening, but cant remember as I did it the day offer I shot the pic (1st of Sept) and then only finished editing it today!!)

I can't see the 2nd two it either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They could have been right actually, I think on the 28th of August Jupiter was to be closer to the earth than in hundreds of years and was said to be expected to be as large in the sky as the moon, however I never went out that night to look!

Now THAT would be a sight to see :D I'd say Jupiter would have to be a couple of AU closer to earth for that to happen though, and we'd appreciate it only briefly before 1000m tidal surges destroyed all life on the planet ( with the possible exception of dolphins, who would have evacuated the planet a couple of days earlier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Look into stacking if you have a cable release.

I can't see the 2nd two it either

Hmmmm, thats strange - the images were showing up for me!
    Anyways, I've re-attached the images, both attached and linked to the page of the attachment - hopefully thats sorted the issue! :confused:

Fenster wrote: »
    Look into stacking if you have a cable release.

Was that directed at me? And if so - what is the idea behind it and what are the advantages?? Is it something similar to HDR? so, the moon would actually have detail?? Sorry - I'm still in the early learning process - I know everyone is still learning ;), never ending process!!

Advertisement