Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massey factories

• 28-09-2009 3:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Can anyone tell me whats the difference between a Coventry built massey, a Canadian one, and a French one? Where are the French and Canadian factories? And where's Irelands main dealer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Are you talking about a specific model or just in general?

But basically Coventry built tractors tended to be mostly the sub 100 hp machines, the 100, 200, 500, early 600,300,4200 and some 4300 model ranges were built in Coventry .They were all based on the Ferguson style (or DX to give its correct title) transaxle. Coventry built tractors from the 60s 70s & 80s can usually be known by their light coloured "stoneleigh grey" chassis paint but later models switched to a dark grey then black chassis.
    Tractor assembly at Coventry ceased in 2003 when production of 4300 series was transferred to France.The Coventry plant was closed and demolished soon after.

Some 100,500, and most 600 series were also assembled in France but these often had different gearbox types and these gearboxes , known by their different gearshift pattern, did have some reliability issues. French built models of these tractors also had detail differences in their cab layout and fittings e.g. french built 500s usually had 2 cab steps (Coventry machines had one) and french models had longer gear levers.
    The larger 3000,6000,8000,7000 (and most 2000 series)model ranges have been exclusively built in France.
    French built tractors had their chassis painted a darker charcoal grey.
    MFs French plant is located in Beauvais, near Paris. Early models of French built tractors had a poor reputation for reliability due in part to the plants inexperience in building large tractors in the 1970s and early 1980s.

I am not aware of smaller Massey Ferguson models being built in Canada but some Massey Harris models were built in Canada, AFAIK only MF combines and large articulated tractors were assembled at the MF plant in Brantford, Ontario,however smaller and rigid frame models were built at MFs Southfield Road,Detroit plant. However this plant ceased manufacture around 1982.

There are several main MF dealers in Ireland, where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

what massey are you referring to in perticular, are you buying one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Well I'm looking at a 1135 for restoration. The owner swears its Canadian. But I,m just curious in general. Do you know of any things to look out for with the 1135? Is there any way to tell its origin from the serial no?

Well I'm looking at a 1135 for restoration. The owner swears its Canadian. But I,m just curious in general. Do you know of any things to look out for with the 1135? Is there any way to tell its origin from the serial no?

there was no 1135 made in france or england. they were all made in usa/canada.

There is a plate on the left hand side of the dash with a serial number. you can tell the date of manufacture from this.

1972: 9B36563
    1973: 9B36841
    1974: 9B42685
    1975: 9B50494
    1976: 9B58735
    1977: 9B66276
    1978: 9B74241
    1979: 9B76058

if i wa sgetting an 1135 id want it for nothing ono. the reason is you can get parts for them, lets say you needed a door or s steering wheel, where are you going to get it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Ah I know parts would be hard to track down. Thats why I was asking where they were made. There seems to be a fair few in France but:confused:

• Advertisement

Ah I know parts would be hard to track down. Thats why I was asking where they were made. There seems to be a fair few in France but:confused:

they definetly all origionated in us/caneda. i presume the caneda - france link meant some were exported over there.

Advertisement