Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Fall' Colours - where to get the best ??

• 28-09-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hi

So I've decided to take three days off work next week with the specific intention of taking photos. I already have two days sorted, but for the third day I'd really like to get some autumn colours. Looking out the window in work here I can see that there leaves are turning pretty fast, even compared to the end of last week, I guess it must be related to the nice september weather. Anyway, I have to drop t he kids to school/creche in the morning and collect them in the evening so I have between 9.30 and 5.00 approximately, so I am looking for somewhere in a 50-mile radius of Sandyford in Dublin. The obvious location is Wicklow, but I was hoping to go for full deciduous forests, if such things still exist ?

Any suggestions ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Blessington would be my first thoughts for you. Also a place we visit often enough is Ballyknockan, up past the Blessington lakes, tjust outside the Ballyknockan Inn there are stunning views over the lakes although I have never actually broght my camera there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was just thinking about doing the same thing myself in October sometime and was wondering what would be the best week to plan for. I went for a wander aorund the local park over the weekend and still too much green about so I was thinking best time is still at least a couple of weeks off.
    Theres an interesting sculpture park in the Devils Glen - Some nice colour down there as well. Got this one there:

B1D1D3E0466443AE90560938F4427E0B-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah here, g'way with your 50 mile radius. I'm just back from 3 days in Ashford Castle, over wesht. It's absolutely amazing there, there's fantastic walks around the castle itself, with plenty of boathouses, piers and autumn colours. I'm sorry I couldn't get up early to get sunrise (And landscape photos weren't my main interest come evening :pac: ) - www.ashford.ie

No examples, anything I shot out around the castle, I shot on film, and won't be developing until I get a chance to jump on the tube down to Brixton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Ah here, g'way with your 50 mile radius. I'm just back from 3 days in Ashford Castle, over wesht. It's absolutely amazing there, there's fantastic walks around the castle itself, with plenty of boathouses, piers and autumn colours. I'm sorry I couldn't get up early to get sunrise (And landscape photos weren't my main interest come evening :pac: ) - www.ashford.ie

No examples, anything I shot out around the castle, I shot on film, and won't be developing until I get a chance to jump on the tube down to Brixton.

YYSW...I'd love to but unfortunately it's a bit far for a day trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Also if you do venture up that end there is a little town called Hollywood that cut make for some cool shots. We dropped friends off there in the middle of the night after a big gig and the tiny little post office looked like it could make a good shot, however I am not sure of what it looks like in daylighten sobreity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

joust woods

or around powerscourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Massey woods in the Dublin hills.

thanks all for the suggestions, i'll check them out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I presume you've already been to Powerscourt and Glendalough? If not, those would be top of my list. I'm going to hit up the Botanic Garden's in the next couple of weeks when the autumn colours really start to show.

I was thinking of doing some daytrips from Dublin myself, was just wondering if I'd make it down to hook head in Waterford and back with time to explore some of Wicklow on the way.

Has anyone any nice routes through Wicklow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

. I'm sorry I couldn't get up early to get sunrise (And landscape photos weren't my main interest come evening :pac: )

You got some, we get it!

• Advertisement

I think Glendalough, Powerscourt and Blessington will fill the day nicely. Wexford would be too much driving and not enough shooting

TelePaul wrote: »
    You got some, we get it!

No I didn't, I was too busy on the beer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

lf it's a family day, why not try Malahide Castle...Woods, Playground, Peacocks, Squirrels, castle....& not too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Devils Glen in Ashford should have a nice variation of trees if memory is correct, and some weird sculptures too...

Edit: Already mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Galway City, up the river Corrib at Dangan or Menlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ive been wondering the same thing. However I dont drive so getting anywhere is difficult..is there any good places in or around the city? (dublin that is ;p )

ive been wondering the same thing. However I dont drive so getting anywhere is difficult..is there any good places in or around the city? (dublin that is ;p )

Phoenix Park and the Memorial Gardens are both quite handy to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its called Autumn! If the weather oplays fair, the best time to shoot is not for another month, you'll have to hope stormy weather doesn't sweep everything away before then.

There's a new bus service which goes into the Dublin Mountains and should provide good shooting opportunities:

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/public_transport/public_transport/

And its free this Sunday :-)

mike65 wrote: »
    Its called Autumn! If the weather oplays fair, the best time to shoot is not for another month, you'll have to hope stormy weather doesn't sweep everything away before then.

I know that...see the first sentence of the OP...Fall was just to grab attention! Anyway, from where I'm sitting right now, looking out over the dublin mountains, I can see a lot of yellows and reds, so I'd say that a month away may be too late. (and I'm not waiting a month to take a few days off work !)

Superflyninja/alb/bullpost you're more than welcome to join me...not sure what day, but it will be one of Mon/Tues/Weds

• Advertisement

Superflyninja/alb/bullpost you're more than welcome to join me...not sure what day, but it will be one of Mon/Tues/Weds

Thanks for the offer but I won't be able to go for at least a week. Looking forward to seeing how you get on though.

bloody typical - take three days off work to take photos and the 10-day forecast says it's to rain on those days...

Phoenix Park and the Memorial Gardens are both quite handy to get to.

cheers where are the memorial gardens? or hang on....are they the ones out past heuston?

I know that...see the first sentence of the OP...Fall was just to grab attention! Anyway, from where I'm sitting right now, looking out over the dublin mountains, I can see a lot of yellows and reds, so I'd say that a month away may be too late. (and I'm not waiting a month to take a few days off work !)

thanks for the offer but i cant get time off (besides herself would kill me,we have a house to move into :( )

Advertisement