Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inish mor/jellyfish

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Is there any place to surf out on the island,im headin over this weekend and was wondering if i should take the board?I dont think there is any place but just thought i'd throw it out there.

On another unrelated topic anybody know what the story with the thousands of jellyfish in the water at lahinch was about?

Also anybody ever been to Doonloughan? is it hard to get to?whats it like to surf?safe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

Not sure about lahinch but have heard before that jellyfish are more likely to gather in large numbers when they are looking for a date!!!;)
    Think its related to moon cycles also.
    Kinda freaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

I was out in fanore over the wkd place was infested with the little feckers, mostly baby ones. I was in Lahinch aswell (but not out in the water) was told they were causing a bit of a nuisance there too and that they weren't the regular jellyfish; these being much more harmful than the normal ones we see. I got a good few mild stings but nothing too worrying, numbness went away after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Was at doughmore on saturday and they were all over the north end of the beach, little brown fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Compass jellyfish are the most common and do sting but they are usually the big brown ones which you can see in some of the pics on my blog here http://irelandsocean.blogspot.com/ the smaller ones congragate for sex and you can get a big bloom when algae tides and moons are right afaik. never got a bad sting of the small purple guys and dived in a bay literally full of them.They are usually gone in a day or so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I saw these at the weekend too. Unreal quantities of em. Thought they were seaweed at first. Got a few stings but nothing worth writing home about... could they have been baby compass jellyfish by any chance? They definitely weren't moon jellies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

going on the above i believe the compass ones and mating season..... apparently they warned about them in the WCSC newsletter last week. Anyone get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

jelly fish are the spiders of the ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I think sea spiders are the spiders of the ocean :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

i think sea spiders are the jellyfish of the ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

awwww yawk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bearlahinch

Those jelly fish are Mauve Stingers if you google them you will get details.They are allover the place in big numbers at the moment but will probably be gone soon. Nasty little things

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

I was in inis oirr I think it was over the summer and I went swimming one of the days. While we were swimming we started feeling thing rubbing against our legs. We were scared to find swarms of jellyfish but luckily they had no sting. I was amazed that they didn't thing as I always thought they did sting and after reading through the comments I'm not sure how they didn't sting but they didn't. Has anyone else found this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ciar4n

Doonloughan's a really sweet spot to surf especially 'false bay', a beautiful little cove just over the hill pass the first beach. Any of the locals in ballyconneely would direct you, the biggest battle is navigating the mile or two of dunes on the way in.

Advertisement