Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do/activities in Ennis?

• 28-09-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I'm back in the town on a permanent basis and I'm getting seriously bored. Are there any classes around the place that are well taught? I'm interested in something active.

Thought I might try Kickboxing in the Banner Martial Arts Center. There are other places doing it as well though so I'd be interested if anybody had recommendations about where is good to try.

Wouldn't mind doing some sort of dancing as well. Used to do hip hop in that place above the Grove a few years ago...forget what it's called. They do swing/salsa at Woodstock I think. I'd suspect there won't be many people in their 20's at it though!

I don't suppose they do tennis lessons during the winter. Anybody round here play badminton?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 basherzz

Banner Martial Arts is definitely worth a try. They're more expensive than the rest but the place is spotlessly clean and the training is really good. I did a few grades in the kickboxing but didn't like the sparring so changed to the females only "Fighting Fit" class. That was brilliant - non contact kickboxing. Had to give it up because of other demands on my time but can't wait to get back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm back in the town on a permanent basis and I'm getting seriously bored. Are there any classes around the place that are well taught? I'm interested in something active.

Thought I might try Kickboxing in the Banner Martial Arts Center. There are other places doing it as well though so I'd be interested if anybody had recommendations about where is good to try.

Wouldn't mind doing some sort of dancing as well. Used to do hip hop in that place above the Grove a few years ago...forget what it's called. They do swing/salsa at Woodstock I think. I'd suspect there won't be many people in their 20's at it though!

I don't suppose they do tennis lessons during the winter. Anybody round here play badminton?

You could stay home, eat junk-food and watch America's Next Top Model. ;)

Na man you're dead right, good on ya for wanting to do something different. I on the other hand am online while my girlfriend is cleaning up around me and hoping she doesn't ask me to help. I told her I'll kill spiders and that's it.
    You could volunteer in local radio. I done it once but wasn't asked back because i slagged off the desk operator on-air. It is fun and worthwhile though. There's one in Shannon called Jet FM - http://www.jetfm.ie and volunteers are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Tag rugby? I know they definitely used to have it in the rugby club and they surely still do. It's a great way to meet people and to get fit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I used to play rugby when I was a kid and went back to give it another lash a few years ago. Damn near killed me hehe. Giving 6ft2 guys a piggy back down to the midway line, running back and swapping places several times. Went over to the sideline, threw up and decided not to go back. :D

Community radio sounds like great craic actually. Excellent suggestion. It's something I've always wanted to try.

I haven't got a girlfriend anymore so I no longer have to sit through America's Next Top Model marathons thank goodness.

I found Banner Martial Arts a bit steep price wise for me. Decided to stick with the TKD which is half the price. Went to Swing dancing in Woodstock Hotel and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Young crowd at it and the instructor is fantastic. They do ballroom and salsa and other stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

http://www.clarefocus.ie might give you a few ideas. the newsletter normally has a list of classes starting up on it.

• Advertisement

I used to play rugby when I was a kid and went back to give it another lash a few years ago. Damn near killed me hehe. Giving 6ft2 guys a piggy back down to the midway line, running back and swapping places several times. Went over to the sideline, threw up and decided not to go back. :D

Community radio sounds like great craic actually. Excellent suggestion. It's something I've always wanted to try.

I haven't got a girlfriend anymore so I no longer have to sit through America's Next Top Model marathons thank goodness.

Ya same as, i played underage and up until i was 21, 29 now and went back with Senans on 2 occasions for pre-season training with the intention of sticking with it, it's really tough going back when you've lost the fitness and the ability to take a hiding.

Regarding the radio,As I was a complete noob and had no idea how to operate the desk and change songs i had a guy from the station do it for me. He ballsed me up on a couple of occasions by playing the wrong song so I playfully slagged him off. The next day he rang me up while i was at work bitching about what i'd said on air, i told him to **** off, it's community radio, not the bbc and told him how egotistical i thought he was about the situation. He continued by saying something about calling a solicitor, I repeated myself by telling him to **** off (smart man that i am), it's not the bbc and told him to start living in the real world. Felt very refreshing, because i'm normally very polite. Maybe my stint as a radio presenter gave me confidence :D

Be honest though, I'd say your main motivation is for meeting 'the ladies'. And fair play to ya for not going down the well worn path of pubs/clubs as it's quite destructive if that's the only outlet you have for meeting people. I was possibly the worst person in Ireland for hooking up with girls, i had to get shhitfaced just to chat to them, and by then i didn't show my best. Last year I got sick of the drinking culture and gave up the sauce for about 6months. That's when i met my missus. I drink moderately nowadays and have never been happier.Fair play to ya for wanting to try something new.

I tried breakdancing a couple of times and learnt a couple of moves. I don't think I'd be cut out for salsa though!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

I'm wondering if anyone has ever trained with Willie Healy in Claureen? Its a ladies tone & burn class that I was wondering about..I have a dog that I bring for a decent walk everyday,love Lees rd but wouldn't mind doing a class a week just for me. I'm debating between this or boxercise in ozone.I haven't rang to check if class's are full or anything. I know Famous does a good taebo class in ennis leisure centre but its so busy. & like a lot of people-watchin finances too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Is there breakdancing on in Ennis someplace? I used to do it in Revolutions out by the Green Grove but they didn't have enough people so they stopped.

Is there breakdancing on in Ennis someplace? I used to do it in Revolutions out by the Green Grove but they didn't have enough people so they stopped.

Not that i know of but they do it in Limerick. Jay Red and a few others bust the moves.

Advertisement