Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas, Coir & the men of '16

Options
  • 28-09-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Coir have up pictures of Pearse, Connolly and Clarke (sans part of his neck), with the statement "They Won Your Freedom", Libertas have listed the lifespan of 'Irish Democracy' as being 1916-2009.

Firstly let's get the disclaimer out of the way... nothing but respect for the leaders, and participants of the Rising, I believe they paved the way for Irish Freedom, no doubt. However...

They did not 'win' our freedom, our freedom was won by the IRA in the war of independence, 1916 was a miserable failure, militarily. It was only after we fought the British under Collins & Dev that we finally 'won' our freedom. It's a small point to some maybe, but it's a blatantly ignorant historical inaccuracy. I also believe it's extremely disrespectful to the patriot dead to abuse their images on a poster, exhorting us to vote one way or another in their name.

Next, on to Libertas' 'Maddie McCann' poster, they say that Irish democracy started in 1916, however, we all now that the result of the 1919 election was largely ignored by the British, so 1916 as a date for the beginning of Irish democracy is completely false. Libertas might also care to consider that the 1916 rising was in no way democratic, or pre-approved by the people, so it's a double falsehood to claim it as the start of 'democracy' in Ireland. If you are going to pick a date then 1922 would be more appropriate, when the democratically expressed will of the people for independence was finally (mostly) implemented. Some might say that 1998 was the start of Irish Democracy, due to the signing, and ratification of the Good Friday Agreement being the first time the entire country democratically decided the political institutions of Ireland. Some might also argue that Irish Democracy is still in the womb, and will remain there until we decide our affairs as a single unitary nation, without implementing minority wishes over the majority.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Those posters just annoy me so much because they cheapen the actual sacrifice of 1916, for blatant political point scoring, and because the historical inaccuracy and ignorance is so bloody obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

These posters appeal to a few already converteds and do more damage to the No side than good.

I'm hoping it is a resounding Yes exactly because of that, but I think it will be close.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Next, on to Libertas' 'Maddie McCann' poster

hes referring to this poster in case anyone is new here or wondering

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

K-9 wrote: »
    These posters appeal to a few already converteds and do more damage to the No side than good.

I'm hoping it is a resounding Yes exactly because of that, but I think it will be close.

i agree with your point on the damage these idiots are doing to the no vote.im a no voter and find it annoying that everyone thinks no campaigners are all tied to these two groups.

major bill wrote: »
    i agree with your point on the damage these idiots are doing to the no vote.im a no voter and find it annoying that everyone thinks no campaigners are all tied to these two groups.

to be fair here on boards.ie we have learned to use the word

some

wisely in all posts :( in order to avoid the above occuring

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    to be fair here on boards.ie we have learned to use the word

some

wisely in all posts :( in order to avoid the above occuring

/

fair enough '':osome people think''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can we give Coir the benefit here that they probably mis-read their history books :D. I don't like them I don't like their actions but I will admit they may be a necessary evil in this referendum. Let me clarify that. I think there is a certain percentage of voters who will vote purely based on lampost posters. My hope is that Coir's posters cancel out the yes side's ones and those type of voters have no influence on the decision!

ah you see

now ye're talkin'

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And, sadly, some don't.

Advertisement