Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's up with fm104s download chart?

• 28-09-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Heading to my gig on Saturday night, flicking through the stations and heard some new girl doing the download chart. Talk about painful to listen to. I think the girl must have been sucking helium before every link. Extremely high pitched, squeaky and terribly annoying. It was obviously her first time doing the show as she did not have any comprehension of what to do or how to string a link together.

Thank god that I had my ipod as I think that listening to her for too long would have made my ear's bleed. What on earth are they doing putting someone that terrible and so blatantly inexperienced onto a prime show. Good way to kill off the listenership.

I thought it was usually Ben Murray or Suzanne Kane who did the download chart? At least those guys know what they are doing and you can listen to them without wanting to throw the car radio out the window.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Most likely <snip>. Also presents the Irish language show Deireadh Seachtaine early on a Sunday morning on FM104 for the past year or so? She's been on the weekend download chart the past few weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Yeah she was pretty gick 'n' all 'n' anyways. At least 104 are giving the young chickatee's a chance.

Also I feel for her if she's reading this thread. I can't imagine if I was given a chance at a weekday gig, then lookin at boards and seeing people slag me off.

Weekend Gig? Who are you malthouse feller? Some 98 or Spin DJ?? AYE??*

*Just Curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

I heard <snip> on Saturday myself, I liked the show to be honest! She sounded bubbly and obviously happy to be there. Each to their own though!

She is hardly inexperienced having been with FM104 for over a year to the best of my knowledge and was also the main drive presenter for Raidió RíRá while it was on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

lampydoo wrote: »
    She is hardly inexperienced having been with FM104 for over a year to the best of my knowledge and was also the main drive presenter for Raidió RíRá while it was on...

Apart from her extremely irritating voice, it was so obvious that she was no where experienced enough for this show. Ben Murray, for example, is tight, knows how to build things up, keep the listeners interested and has a fast pace to the show. This girl, in my opinion, was loose, gaps everywhere and just didn't know how to run that type of show. And I'm sure that you will agree that this type of show would be a totally different format to an Irish show?? There wouldn't be so much pressure on her doing an Irish show??

Anyway... In my oponion, she was more irritating for that show that I just couldn't listen to it and it made me switch it off asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You could always try listening to the same download chart on i105-107 with Barbara Níc Dhonnacha from 6pm to 8 or 4pm to 6 if you are in the i102-104 region. Pleasant enough lady to listen to. And you get the same music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheCommy

I heard the show and really enjoyed it. I actually was wondering why i hadn't heard this girl before, very refreshing and better than the girl who normally presents in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

In your opinion she wasn't inexperienced enough...but in a programmers opinion based on a few decades of working in radio she was.

It's called giving people a break, it's a Saturday night, hardly a "prime show".

Move along now.... :rolleyes:

Big Balls wrote: »
    In your opinion she wasn't inexperienced enough...but in a programmers opinion based on a few decades of working in radio she was.

It's called giving people a break, it's a Saturday night, hardly a "prime show".

Move along now.... :rolleyes:

Oh please... As I'm sure you know, Saturday night, 7pm onwards is when people are getting ready to head out for the night or staying in having a few drinks with friend's so therefore want to listen to a well presented show that is fast paced and will keep them listening and interested. And as for giving her a chance, I'm quite sure that you would not let her have the chance to cover your own show?!!! Point made.

As for a programmer having a few decades in radio... It certainly doesn't mean that they always make the right decision, as I'm sure you have figured out at this stage Big Balls. And as previously said, I'm sure you will agree that an Irish language show is different pace to the likes of a chart show. And as for having a few decades in radio, would this also mean that you are fluent in Irish and know what is being said on Sunday mornings?

Mmm... I think not Big Balls. I thought a programmer would want someone tight, fast paced and have the ability to keep the show as tight as possible. Not someone that sounded as if she was thrown in at the deep end and did not have a clue, not to mention such an irratating, make your ear's bleed voice and an obvious lack of the way the show ran and to make that show sound tight and as professional as possible.

Or maybe that is the way fm104 is starting to go, throw anyone on any show, no matter how unable they are to throw a link together, and make the station sound tight and as professional as it used to be, say 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Making a lot of assumptions there aren't you? Can you inform us all how you know what my level of Irish is?

Tell Daithi who does the Top 40 that an Irish show can't be fast paced! Why would a language decide the pace of a show?

I'll say it again also, 7pm on Saturday is not primetime radio.

And finally, one person covering a show isn't up to your standard so suddenly the whole station sounds loose. Will you cop the f-uck on.

Big Balls wrote: »
    And finally, one person covering a show isn't up to your standard so suddenly the whole station sounds loose. Will you cop the f-uck on.

Temper, temper. I think if you read the post again, I said that maybe it is the way things are starting to go. Not that it certainly is. Wonder if you would put her onto a drive time show like the jam if it needed filling. Ehhhh... I think NOT!

And in relation to a chart show, It is my opinion that that girl was not suitable or strong enough for the show as she did not sound up to that station standard. Perfect example... Listen to Ben or Suzanne on the download chart and then do an air check on the girl who was covering and you might see what I mean. No proper grasp of how the show ran and extremely gappy with the liners. Could fit a bus through some of the gaps coming out of the ad breaks.

Come on, as a PC, I'm sure that this is not the way you would want the station to sound?? A highly irritating presenter who obviously has no concept of how the show runs and with so many gaps per hour that you could fit a bus in every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You're being a little harsh on her don't you think? I don't think Saturday night radio is about cutting edge liners, to me I want non-stop music on a Saturday with minimal interruptions tbh.

And as for the gaps, she's not the only one guilty of this. There was one night, very recently, I was listening to the Adrian Kennedy phoneshow and whatever was going on, the silence detector kicked in after EVERY ad-break. Ad's finished, 15 seconds of silence, then a few seconds of backup audio before back to the show. This went on for a good hour that I heard of the show.

Advertisement