Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Student or Graduate Account

Options
  • 28-09-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Question I'm hoping someone can answer. I've had an AIB student account for last 5 years. I've received a letter saying that my account will be upgraded to a graduate account unless I object. Now normally you can't stay an eternal student, but I will be returning to college this year to finish my postgrad course, so technically I could remain on a student account. My question is which is better, the terms appear to be the same (e.g. overdraft facility that's interest free is most important and will remain with graduate account) so am I as well to move forward? Or do banks in terms of loans in the future (be it for holidays or more extensive) look more favourably on graduate accounts? Can anyone see anything negative about moving? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

I received the same letter there last week. In my situation I decided to stick with the student account even though I'm currently not in college... but I intend to go back next september.

The way i see it is that a graduate account has a very specific time period of two years duration after which you're moved to a normal fee paying account with considerably less beneficial terms and rates. I've had two friends who have the student and graduate account apply for loans. Guy with student account got his €3000 while the graduate account guy had his €5600 loan turned down so make of that what you want....

If you decide to stick with the student account just ring up and they will extend it for another year... but it had to be renewed on a year by year basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mjgdunne1

Im in a similar situation after recieving this letter.. although i had also requested the bank to change the account for me.

My problem now is that i have a student credit card which is due to expire in a few months... so I decided to ring AIB and ask to be upgraded to a graduate credit card. I was told that i would have to show payment history for employment for a year before they can give me a card. My problem is, I have graduated and just started working towards the end of May.. So i would only have 5-6 months payment history. Is it just me that thinks this policy is daft... they are able to give me as a student a credit card and then increase my limit without my knowledge to the max on a student cc to €1000. And now that im a graduate and have a full time job with a wage that they wont give me a credit card. Im not looking for a massive limit like €1000 - €2000 would be perfect. Iv always paid my credit card off in full at the end of every month so its not a credit problem. Can anyone shed any light on this... or advise me on what to do?

Advertisement