Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holistic massage courses

Options
  • 28-09-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone attended/currently attending any of these courses found them good? was looking to get into sports therapy massage but you need a holistic diploma first, its a 15 week course which isnt the longest and it looks like a nice introduction to it, am based in Limerick

http://www.intl-training.com/courses3.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

i know you are based in limerick but there is a good one in dublin

pearse college in d12 does a full time holistic therapies course which is 2 years and includes sports massage.

it has had a tutor revamp in recent years so now is a better time to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cazabainne

Stay away from intl-training institute in limerick. They are very badly organised. I did the fitness instructors course with them, finished it last summer and i still dont havn'nt received my diploma. When i ring them they told me it was sent by registerd post and when i asked for the tracking number they stopped answering my calls and emails. They will screw u over. It is not just me they have done this to either. So I strongly advise u to do the course with someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I did a nine-month part-time massage course in Swords a few years ago. It was hard work but ITEC certified and fully qualified by the end of it. Try www.academy.ie. Sorry, just realised you said you're in Limerick, Dublin or Swords are probably a little bit too far for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm currently in my second year of the Sports Therapy course in Crumlin College. The first year covers Holistic and On-Site (stress management) massage, alongside Gym Instruction (Those 3 are ITEC qualifications). There is also nutrition, water safety, anatomy & physiology, First Aid and business and professional conduct. The a&p and business are ITEC also.

The second year has Sports Massage, Sports Therapy equipment (heat lamps, ultrasonic, mechanical massage), they are changing course structure next academic year so i'm not gonna comment on the other subjects as i dont know how they'll be laid out, but one side of 2nd year will be more fitness based (personal training etc) and the other will be therapies (aromatherapy/reflexology etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I havent personally done one but i know a couple of people who have done them, including my aunty, who did her's in a place in swords, but thats in Dublin so i doubt you would want to travel that far!! But i do know that the one in swords was meant to be fantastic...

Anyway why not check qualifax, they have info on all different types of courses, certificates, diplomas etc in every county so why not check that? Here is the website link,

www.qualifax.ie

Or alternatively google ' Introductory holistic massage courses Limerick' or something like that and see what you come up with?

Good luck, hope you find somehting!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Cazabainne wrote: »
    Stay away from intl-training institute in limerick. They are very badly organised. I did the fitness instructors course with them, finished it last summer and i still dont havn'nt received my diploma. When i ring them they told me it was sent by registerd post and when i asked for the tracking number they stopped answering my calls and emails. They will screw u over. It is not just me they have done this to either. So I strongly advise u to do the course with someone else!
    Just interested to find out if you've received your diploma?
    I have some very negative experience with this college, ITI or International Training Institute, myself, so I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

Just with your location, there is a place in Newport, which is just out the road from you that is doing both those courses on a part time basis i am just finishing up the holistic massage course which is ITEC certified. if you have not found somewhere more local to do it yet i would recommend OFP, have inserted a link to there website

http://www.optfp.ie/index.php

Hope this is of some help to you if you havent found somewhere local to do it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wish I'd seen this way back when I was applying to do the course, I went with ITI (lol, theres nothing "international" or "institutional" about them) and good god, talk about the biggest shower of unorganised **** you'll ever deal with.

The course itself is fine, the girl teaching us the anatomy and physiology aspects and the actual massage practical is great, really knows her stuff so I cant say a bad word about her. But the admin/running of the course is just diabolical. At first we were told we were getting an ITEC qualification, and now we've been told its a VCTC with an "ITI diploma" which is basically not worth the paper its written on.

Calls are unanswered/unreturned, emails are supposedly sent but you never get them, they'll be on you like a fly on sh1t when they want money off you but ask them a question and they'll never get back to you. And its all misleading info, for our exams we are combined with 2 other groups who were doing classes on different days, and all of us were told different things, they couldnt even get the times right for us to attend a workshop so half of us were late. We were told we had to do case studies, 4 people for 4 sessions, all grand, had mine written and printed and they were assessed, now that the qualificaiton has changed its 5 people 5 times, so I have to do a new one and change or add to the previous ones.

We paid for our uniforms back in DECEMBER and still havent gotten them, they were 45 quid I think and they only told us they'd "put through the order" THIS WEEK! I mean FFS I could have just ordered a tunic online and gotten it months ago, or walked into any salon supply store and picked on up.

I wanted to go on to do sports therapy, am doing the holistic massage course as thats needed, I paid the 250 quid deposit for that before Christmas last as I didnt know of the shambles we were getting into, but now theres no way I'll be doing another course with them. So I asked if the cost of the course deposit could be put towards my exams, they said no. Then I asked if I could just put it to a shorter head massage course thats only 2 days, they said yes after much umming and ahhing but then said they wouldnt refund me the difference as the course was 70 quid less than what I'd paid for the deposit. At this stage I dont even care I just want to get this over and done with and never deal with them again.

The organisation of the place is an absolute shambles and its not just our class either, everyone, every single person who's doing a course, theres 4 of us in massage and about 10 in fitness/personal training etc and a few others from other parts of the country with travelling horror stories, being told to attend and class and only being told when they got there they should have brought equipment and towels as it was a practical session when they'd been told it was only revision and case study work etc. and they're all pissed beyond belief with the place, avoid avoid avoid. :mad:

If anyone is thinking of doing a course with intl-training, PM me and I can fill you in on more of the gory details, even thinking about it now is making my blood boil though so prepare to hear some venting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahsmith

I have found my course with the international training insitute only fantastic. The tutors were excellant there were small groups and I really felt that they really looked after each student. The knowledge I gained form this course was fantastic and I know that friends of mine have also done this type of course with other colleges and the knowledge that I have is far better.
    I have now enrolled and started my next level course with this college and again I am delighted with this. All qualifications are well recogonised and I have gained an overall 91% in my exams.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sarahsmith wrote: »
    I have found my course with the international training insitute only fantastic. The tutors were excellant there were small groups and I really felt that they really looked after each student. The knowledge I gained form this course was fantastic and I know that friends of mine have also done this type of course with other colleges and the knowledge that I have is far better.
    I have now enrolled and started my next level course with this college and again I am delighted with this. All qualifications are well recogonised and I have gained an overall 91% in my exams.:)

Let me guess - you have absolutely no connection to this organisation?

• Advertisement

sarahsmith wrote: »

LOL, first post praising a company that has nothing but negative press on here, everyone in my class is beyond pissed off with the place and so are the other classes in various parts of the country so you must be in the minority, like i said I have no issue with the course content or the tutors themselves, but the admin side and running of the company itself is diabolical.

On an update btw, those uniforms we paid for 7 months ago turned up, godawful, polyester, long sleeved tops, long sleeved! who the fcuk does a massage with long sleeves!? told them we werent paying for them so now we have to wait for a refund, I wont hold my breath given past experience. I wont hand over another penny to this shower of cowboys.

I've been waiting for a refund for my course fees since April. Still haven't got a cent back from them for a course they didn't run. And I'm not the only one.
    And as to "SarahSmith's" comments, not difficult to guess where they originated from, eh???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Let them know you will be in contact with your solicitor about a missing refund for services not rendered, that'll grab their attention:)

Been done but money still not forthcoming.
    All I want to say at the moment is what others have said before me:
    Stay away from ITI unless you want lots or grief and want to risk losing your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A reminder to all that you own your own comments on the internet and Boards.ie.

Signing up with your real name and e-mail address to slander a company is not the brightest thing to do.

I have no problem with factual posts and comments, but calling people scam artists is simply not acceptable. And will land you in trouble, not Boards.ie.

There have been some developments regarding ITI. Please watch this space, I may have some news regarding my/our refunds in the near future.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 meganhunter

hi i know you asked ages ago but sports massage level 3 and sports therapy equipment itec courses is currently being run at the donegal institute in letterkenny! they are very interesting courses and enjoyable as practicing on each other every week = free treatment!

has anyone sat equipment course? any advice or past questions from papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭CarPark2

I was a tutor on this course. I am now almost 2 years overdue for being paid. It is very difficult to get in contact with the owner and when i do, i am just fobbed off "just another two weeks, and i will definitely have it for you then". I am not holding my breath.

Lunabu, i would be interested in any updates you have.

CarPark2 wrote: »
    I was a tutor on this course. I am now almost 2 years overdue for being paid. It is very difficult to get in contact with the owner and when i do, i am just fobbed off "just another two weeks, and i will definitely have it for you then". I am not holding my breath.

Lunabu, i would be interested in any updates you have.

Hi, I've sent you a private message re the above:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lorraine O Regan

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    A reminder to all that you own your own comments on the internet and Boards.ie.

Signing up with your real name and e-mail address to slander a company is not the brightest thing to do.

I have no problem with factual posts and comments, but calling people scam artists is simply not acceptable. And will land you in trouble, not Boards.ie.

Dear Tom,

If that is your real name?? If you have been through my experience with ITI, I wonder would you say the same thing??... I am sick of being giving the run around from them. I cannot further my education financially because of them.. They only commenced the course I applied for 10 weeks prior to the orginial start date which was unprofessional on their part & to not refund people their money back, don't get me started & I am not that stupid to use my real name thank u very much:confused::confused:.

bumping this, am waiting on a refund of a whopping 45 quid for a uniform top, I wont hold my breath,. I know of people who are waiting on refunds of over €1000 for courses that never took place, an absolute joke of a place, hopefully bankruptcy is fast approaching them.

The time has come for legal action against ITI. Friendly reminders are completely wasted, even threats of taking legal action don't get any results.
    Those of you who are owed money by ITI, do something about it. The Small Claims Court is a start, it only costs €15 to make a claim:
    https://smallclaims.courts.ie/esmallclaims/claim/Main?page=home&Language=English
    There may be other steps you can take.
    Please feel free to PM me.
    More about this soon, watch this space!

krudler wrote: »
    bumping this, am waiting on a refund of a whopping 45 quid for a uniform top, I wont hold my breath,. I know of people who are waiting on refunds of over €1000 for courses that never took place, an absolute joke of a place, hopefully bankruptcy is fast approaching them.
    I hope this won't happen until we all got our money back:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭CarPark2

Has anybody managed to get in contact with them recently?
    I have been trying to call, but the message minder says that it is closed until August 5th. It is now August 12th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raphael 10

Yes I agree, i paid 750 as a deposit to do a fitness course with these people and t never went ahead. I subsequently tried to get my money back and nothingl. These people are thieves and swindlers and i am currently taking legal action. The owner has never had any inetntion of paying anyone back and as far as I know the guards are involved now and its a criminal situation. Contact your local garda station or roxboro garda station on limerick to make a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Guys, I'm closing this thread. Nothing more can be done here. -Larianne

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement