Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness - Foreign owned

Options
  • 28-09-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

As you all may know Guinness is foreign-owned by Diageo. Is anyone pissed off by all the Guinness Irish marketing spoof?

I know they employ Irish people and contribute taxes and to the profile of Ireland worldwide but to have allowed such a strageic company in Ireland to go into foreign ownership was daft. Just look at Australia - they won't allow a foreign company control more than 15% of a mining company there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

To have allowed? What should have been done to stop it. Guinness is a company, they can be bought by whoever has the money TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

deirdre82 wrote: »
    As you all may know Guinness is foreign-owned by Diageo. Is anyone pissed off by all the Guinness Irish marketing spoof?

I know they employ Irish people and contribute taxes and to the profile of Ireland worldwide but to have allowed such a strageic company in Ireland to go into foreign ownership was daft. Just look at Australia - they won't allow a foreign company control more than 15% of a mining company there.

Perhaps, you can't have more than 15% of a mining company, but is there any such limit on actually purchasing the mine itself?

David McWilliams latest article seems to suggest otherwise:
    http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2009/09/23/chinese-takeaway-is-paid-for-with-american-dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Perhaps, you can't have more than 15% of a mining company, but is there any such limit on actually purchasing the mine itself?

David McWilliams latest article seems to suggest otherwise:
    http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2009/09/23/chinese-takeaway-is-paid-for-with-american-dollars

Afaik it's a proposal not, and not a very popular one even in with aussies.

Advertisement